Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
At The End of Everything; Private; Hold Onto Anything
Topic Started: Aug 4 2017, 11:33 AM (354 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
Who is this sassy lost child
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Raina Rose continued from Two Breaths Walking))

Raina stuck her tongue out at Penelope. "I was knocking on your front door for like ever and texted you twice! Your mom finally let me in." She wasn't actually annoyed - not more than very, very mildly, anyway. Penelope being a space case was old hat.

The bed was occupied by the cat (one pillow counted as "occupied") so Raina plopped herself down in the beanbag chair without further ceremony. The warmth of Penelope's bedroom was a welcome respite from the chill outdoors. Even with no snow on the ground, winters in Kingman could get frigid and Raina wasn't built for the cold.

"Whatcha working on?" She'd had half a mind to yank Penelope's headphones off and surprise her when she first entered, but that was the kind of stunt that Leila pulled on her all the time to get her attention, so Raina was well aware how annoying it was. Besides, all those little pixels looked like delicate work. She'd hate to ruin something just because she startled Penelope.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Oh, yeah?" Raina leaned forward a bit to get another look at the computer screen as Penelope explained the game mechanics. "Sounds neat." She wasn't a gamer herself, but Raina could appreciate all the work that went into developing games. Besides, it was something that Penelope was passionate about, so it was Raina's best friend duty to support her even if she wasn't making something tailored specifically to Raina's interests.

"So is there like a time limit, or what?"
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina shrugged in response to Penelope's question, attempting a casualness that she couldn't quite sell. "Oh, you know, the usual. Just been chilling at home and watching some shows before school gets back in."

She reclined back in the beanbag, scuffing her heel against Penelope's floor and trying not to look like she had anything pressing on her mind.

Of course, she ended up voicing it anyway. She never kept anything from her best friend for long.

"Cris is just being dumb lately, is all."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Ugh, you know-" Raina sank back further, kicking her feet a little and making a vague hand gesture. "Being all 'bluh bluh the world sucks, you should see someone who isn't bringing you down all the time, bluh'. Dumbass."

She hadn't come over here intending to unload her relationship troubles on Penelope right away, but apparently Cris's latest dose of nihilism was bothering her more than she had thought. "Like, Sam doesn't ever do that, does he? Going on pity trips and all? I keep telling him that he's smoking too much and it makes his depression worse."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina sighed. "Yeah, I didn't really expect you to. I don't know what to say about it either when he starts in like that." She had settled for hoping that it would get better for Cris when he went off to college. Everything seemed to get better for everyone when they went off, got out into the world and saw something new. Cris needed new scenery, new people.

It sometimes occurred to her that "new people" might include a new girl who wasn't her, but she was usually able to ignore it. There had been a lot of girls who weren't her, after all, and a couple of guys who weren't Cris.

Raina sighed again and waved her hands as though to clear her words away. "Anyway, I didn't mean to be a downer. I'll figure it out, he'll snap out of it. He always does." She put a smile back on. "What's been going on with you, besides your game?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina laughed in spite of herself. "Oh my gooood Penny, I don't wanna hear about how Sam is in bed." Okay, yeah, it wasn't anything she hadn't heard before. Penelope was extremely open with the people she was comfortable with, and Raina was her best friend. Raina had gotten all the details, and had shared a fair few details herself in conversations past. It had seemed exciting and mature at the time, the fact that they both had boyfriends and lovers.

She stretched with her arms over her head, arching her back and sighing in satisfaction when it popped. "Anyway, forget about my dumb boy drama. It'll sort itself out, it always does. Cris will cheer up when the cold goes away - and I will too."

Raina folded her arms behind her head, turning wistful. "Can't wait to move to California and never have to deal with winter again."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina snorted a little at Penelope's espousing of Colorado's virtues. "I guess you were born to be a peace-loving pothead, huh? Southern California's not that bad in the winter. Caltech is in Pasadena, so I might end up living around there."

Somewhere, in the far-flung future, she had an apartment with wide windows, and a comfortable desk and chair with a cutting-edge computer setup. Maybe she'd get a cat like Penelope's, or some more exotic pet. When she was little, Raina had wanted a parrot. Who was to say she couldn't make that childhood dream come true?

She sighed. "Hawaii would be nice, though. I'll have to go sometime. You think I could convince my parents to take a trip as a graduation gift next year?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Well... that's a nice plan." Raina sometimes forgot that money was more of an issue for Penelope's family than hers. Arguably, the Roses spent more on their children regularly than the Fitzgeralds, what with putting Cameron through Yale and all the material ways they made up for their lack of presence in the home, but they could afford to do that.

Still, it wasn't like Raina was suggesting something totally outlandish. She had to resist the urge to argue, knowing that Penelope's intentions were good. "I don't think it's a waste though, not if you get something good about it." She smiled, trying to lighten the mood again. "Hey, maybe if we went on a trip like that, you could come with us."

Anyway, the white picket fence and two-point-five children dream had never been hers. Maybe it was good enough for Penelope, but Raina wanted to do something with her life. Creating things for people to enjoy themselves with was good work, she would never deny that, but Raina wanted to look out on the world and see an impact that she herself had made.

She was going to change the world someday.

...But this wasn't the time or place to get into that. She had come over to relax with her best friend, not get into a semantic argument about spending money.

"Definitely go with the robot body. Get some sweet robo-tattoos and overthrow humanity."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina laughed a little again. "Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be settling down like that any time soon. More power to you if that's what you want and it'd make you happy, though."

"Now," she said, adopting a serious expression and shifting in the beanbag to tuck her legs up underneath herself. "Something really important: your mom promised me hot chocolate when I got here."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina grinned and extricated herself from the beanbag chair with some effort, stretching as she stood. She had met... well, talked to Penelope's friend Icy over Skype a few times and didn't resent the brief interruption; if anything, it meant that she got to get to the kitchen first and pick out the mug of hot chocolate that had more whipped cream.

"Alright, see you in a minute!" She hurried down the stairs, the scent of the kitchen drawing her forward.

Some parts of winter weren't so bad.
Characters

Others

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Memories from the Past · Next Topic »
Add Reply