Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Creativity's Burning Pyre; [The Collected Writings and Other Art of CBP]
Topic Started: Jul 7 2017, 10:32 PM (551 Views)
CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
I write a lot. Probably not as much as some folks, but I do write a decent amount. It came to my attention recently that, for some strange reason, people might actually like my writing - shocker! I mean, what kind of crazy universe have I stumbled into? What stairway did I walk down into this world, and will it still be there when I look for it later? What's the deaaaaaal?

I do all sorts of writing. Short stories, long stories, song lyrics, poems, literal mush falling out my brain into the shape of words, you name it. So I've decided I'll compile these in a thread here, in case anyone wants to read. It'll most likely get updated daily with new stuff, just because. It's probably not the most interesting art thread, especially right now, but, selling myself short aside, I think I want to do this so I will. That's the long and the short of it. Expect a lot of misused phrases and shit too, stuff like that there, even though english is my first language sometimes it just sounds and feels like pebbles in between my toes.

Our first piece is a poem, and one that has actually been performed! It was the first poem I ever read aloud in front of an audience, at an open mic oh so long ago. Is three hours a long time? I don't know. I actually wrote it today, too. It's heavily influenced and inspired by the poem Where I'm From by George Ella Lyon, which as far as poem templates go has been done plenty of times before so I don't feel quite as bad about stealing the style. I tried my best to preserve the style of the writing in terms of line breaks, as I wrote this out by hand in illegible chicken scratch. Hope you enjoy.

I Am From... (2.1)
~~~~~ Creativity's Burning Pyre ~~~~~

NOW: V7

DEAD: V6

MAYBE: V?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
This next one is technically a song, but it doesn't have anything close to any real music to go along with it. It's kind of personal, and I hope that by sharing this I can kind of clear my mind of it, because as good as it was to live through, right now I don't want to go back to anymore. I imagine this song quiet, with a lazy acoustic guitar strumming throughout. I think I scrawled the original in some notebook during a class. French? I didn't do too well in French class this year, scribbling down a daydream or laying my head down to sleep whenever I got lost. Didn't do well, nope. Not at all.

Before you ask, I'm fine. I say that because the other person I've shown this to immediately asked if I was okay, and it was kind of awkward to deal with.

Towers of Stone

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
So one of the lines in the first poem I posted mentions a bus ride, and a cemetery walk afterward. I actually happened to chance upon that same cemetery just the other day, and I wrote a poem based off of my thoughts and feelings going through after around two years since I was last there. I explored a whole lot more of it and found all sorts of nooks and crannies to have quiet reading time in at some other point. Maybe I'll find myself running away to there a lot more in the future, to find more of what I missed, and to write a lot more poems based off of some of the scenery. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as pristine as it was last time, since it was way hotter out than I thought it should be and there was construction/renovation work going on in an area toward the entrance. Lots of noise.

Mount Auburn

Next, here's another poem, this time about Beeswax. It's sort of a teaser for a longer poem I wrote, that'll be going up shortly, so if it's a bit rough that's because it's an appetizer for the main course. Beeswax probably isn't the most interesting topic but I think I related it to enough stuff and personal things to have breathed some life into it as an allegory of sorts.

Beeswax Part 2

Later I flipped through my notebook and found the phrase "Stop looking at me like that" on a random page for some reason. It was very odd to look at, because my past self was telling my present self to stop looking at it. It was a very odd paradoxical feeling.

Here's an older poem.

Annex

Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
All of them are beautiful poems!

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thank you so much! Feedback is greatly appreciated (especially words of kindness to feed my steadily growing ego.)

I flipped through my google drive today, and found a document with some poems. I think I ended up turning them all into song format somewhere down the line, but I think looking at them in their original poem state might be something interesting. They're all way older than what I've been posting recently, so bear that in mind that I've become a better writer as time has gone on. The first one I might have even split up into several songs, so this might be the most interesting.

Oh, and the title is obnoxiously long

thoughts from an ambience; a field (thought) recording so as to encapsulate the sounds of noise in the mind, to appear whole, and to reconcile with which inner demons represented in an auditory format transcribed onto page in an effort to appear meaningful and non arbitrary, romanticized, droning and all encompassing. a halfhearted attempt at relevancy.

As you can say, I didn't like capital letters all that much. It was a phase, okay? And, if presented right, that phase may be an interesting format. It retains some of the stream of consciousness aesthetic better than writing is when it's perfectly formatted. This next one is a bit more of a narrative, and tells a bit of a story. It's probably...the most upsetting of everything I've posted, so if topics like suicide and depression hit close to you like they did to me at this point in my life, this one might be worth skipping.

Routine

Finally, here's a poem that was written while I was in class, in a computer lab. I think the assignment was to work on an essay, and I didn't do that. I wrote this poem instead. Granted, it was probably after I was done working, but my heart wasn't in it, so it doesn't count in my book.

The next poems I post will be more recent. That, I promise, though I hope this detour was interesting. Plus, there might be a short story in there too!

Lab

Kotorikun
Member Avatar
art™
[ *  * ]
Ohh these are really interesting! I like them. I'd love to see a short story.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thank you thank you thank you! Any feedback is appreciated, and welcomed, no matter what it is.

I'll start with a short story that I kicked up out of a cloud of dust and coughed on. It's not particularly good, it's a bit of a memory from my childhood that I warped and scratched and screwed around with. I promised a short story, but the short story I've been working on didn't turn out to be particularly good nor did it turn out to be particularly finished, so I'm holding off on that one for now. In the meantime, look at this goddamn mess!

Jaret Gets Cussed Out

A note, just to be sure I get this across before I continue: most of these are all transcribed from my notebook, and the handwriting is horribly messy, but I still try to convey the meaning of each poem or story from these writings in terms of format and specific language. In this short story specifically I changed some of the wording to flow better and make some things a bit more clear, but that's about it. I stick more to the original language with my poems, as I believe that in those terms the specific word choice and line breaks are more important.

This next poem, and the last one for today, is about a past relationship of mine. I don't know if she'd be exactly angry if I used her name, but for now I'll use a fake name. Being that I've already used my name, for this past story, there's no question that she'd know who I am immediately. Instead, I'll use a name that starts with the same first letter and has the same amount of syllables. I hope that's okay with everybody.

Alice Is The Earth

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not in the best mood and don't know if I've ever been in a good mood to begin with.

The sound that the wind makes when I want it to stop screaming

I wish I could post Routine again. That one was good.

quick

Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
...I just realised what the purpose of the thread title is.

I'm slow.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
It took a while to come up with so on some level I'm glad it took a while for at least one person to sniff out.

It's been a while! I think I just have one poem for you all today but it's a long one. I teased it to at least Cicada at one point and never delivered but here it is now, a mammoth by my standards that takes up four pages in my notebook and needed to be unleashed somewhere.

Buffalo, NY

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
As of this writing, the site has been still for around 13 hours. Nothing has moved. Nobody has spoken. It's a very weird feeling, especially since I feel like the past few days have been fairly active in terms of posting considering the current state of the game. I don't know where I'm going with this, it's just all so weird.

It's also because I stayed home from school today and I didn't have anything to do so I just sat around and looked at the site for a few hours.

Alewife

This one is four months old but its relevant now more than ever for me.

You Didn't Die

This one also feels weirdly relevant as well.

For The Lost Ones

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
So I guess I'm really stretching the definition of "other art" here.

I spent way too much time on this. Please enjoy.

CBP Why Would You Make This

EDIT: I added some obvious missed opportunities and more pictures in general.
Edited by CrossbowPig, Oct 14 2017, 08:55 PM.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
I made another meme because I made another meme.

help

And also here's a bonus.

Standalone Bonus Meme

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
hmm HMM I am listening to Iggy Pop's The Idiot for the first time and I can just feel it dripping with sleaze and sex and darkness and evil and I love every single moment of it.,.

Peace on Earth

Expect much more poetry soon, since that's the unit that we'll be moving into in my Creative Writing class, and expect them to be a lot more filled with rage and vitriol and bitterness and acid because shit gets VINDICTIVE in Junior year or some shit I wouldn't know. fine.

MGW TARE NET CU.CAP

Lastly, likely:

Beach Scrap

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
CBP
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's the poetry unit in my Creative Writing class! Got some stuff to share from my midterm portfolio - all of these are shitty first drafts, but I still think that, with these five, I have some good things going on that I'd like to share just to get it out there into the world.

Tumorous Suite

thisisbeingalive

I Love The Word Citrus Right Now

Pax Terra

I Am Not Myself Today

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Artist's Alley · Next Topic »
Add Reply