Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Choo-Choo Train of Relationships; Get it, because Chattanooga is associated with trains, and-
Topic Started: Jun 29 2017, 08:33 PM (652 Views)
KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey everyone! It's that time again! So far I have two lovely ladies who need relationships.

Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- I've mentioned her a few times, but yup, I'm making another perky goth!

Roxie is an aspiring special effects artist, with a focus on makeup effects in particular. She's particularly fond of horror-based stage makeup, such as making herself into a zombie or making werewolf facial prosthetics, but she has done other things as well. To help with her interest, Roxie has her own YouTube channel (name pending) where she largely uploads tutorials on how to make your own horror special effects at home cheaply and easily. As you might guess, she's a fan of horror media, especially 80s horror movies. In fact, she likes 80s-90s pop culture in general; one of her favorite non-horror movies is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, which I can see her quoting on a regular basis. I''ve also considered making her a huge fan of the miniseries Stranger Things. Roxie is part of the school's drama club, and enjoys both acting onstage and helping out backstage. Another one of Roxie's interests is learning about odd mythological creatures; she's the type who'd tell you about something like vampire pumpkins.

When Roxie was in early elementary, she was involved in an accident. I might change it in the future, but right now I'm thinking it was vehicle-related. While she survived, she was significantly injured; her left leg in particular was crushed, broken, and damaged. Because the limb was unable to recover correctly, the doctors recommended that it be surgically amputated to improve her health and quality of life. Ultimately, this is what Roxie's family went with, and nowadays she uses an ATK prosthesis. Despite the trauma of being in a near-death experience and losing her leg, Roxie is fairly well-adjusted. I imagine that some of her gothiness came about partly as a coping mechanism for it when she was younger. However, she did have some guilt when she learned that her family had some difficulty financially afterwards, so she started working as soon as she was able so that she could buy things she needed (such as makeup supplies) personally. I'm thinking she has a regular part-time job and a seasonal one. I don't know what the part-time is yet, but the other one is that she worked at a local haunted house attraction for at least one year.

Roxie comes from a Jewish background; to be specific, her family's Ashkenazim and practices Reform Judaism (which is a liberal sect). Despite what you'd initially suspect, Roxie is actually reasonably devout. I'm not certain yet, but I'm thinking she does practice kashrut. In addition, I'm thinking that after her leg was amputated, it was officially buried (as per tradition). Because of her Jewish background, Roxie is actually interested in seeing horror themes that take clear influence from the culture and religion (she feels that horror media is oversaturated with Christian themes). One of her dream projects is a Marble Hornets-style ARG about a dybbuk, which she still is in the early planning stages for. Of course, I may need to do more research on this front, since I'm not personally Jewish.

Personality wise, she's a bit of a gadfly. If you're friends with her, be prepared for loads and loads of trolling. Of course, she's the type who doesn't mind getting teased and made fun of too, as there's very little that'd upset her if you joke about it to her face. She's fond of self-deprecating humor, too, and doesn't mind jokes even at the expense of stuff like her disability, as long as it's clear it's good fun between friends (so if you go up to her and be like "HAHA, one-leg", she'd frowny-face, but if you're a close friend who cracks a joke about it she'd at least not mind it as much). Speaking of her disability, she doesn't really feel shame about it or try to hide it. To her, it's a sucky situation, sure, but she doesn't like the idea of people feeling bad for her because of it. Just something you got to deal with, you know? Roxie is also confident, and fond of body-positivity. Currently, she's been trying to get involved in anti-bullying efforts around the school, since, while not to Alex extents, she despises bullies. As you might suspect, she's consistently busy; she's often working, updating her channel, doing something for the drama club, or studying. So yes, you could say she's a hard-worker. Overall, she's peppy.

Cliff Notes Version
- A bit of a gothy horror fan; also likes 80s/90s pop culture in general.
- Aspiring makeup effects artist; has her own YouTube channel where she uploads tutorials on how to make your own.
- Had a transfemoral amputation when she was younger; uses a prosthesis.
- Has a Ashkenazim background, practices Reform Judaism
- A drama club member; works both on- and backstage.
- Likes spooky mythological creatures.
- Has a bit of a trolly jokey personality, but doesn't mind being the butt of jokes too, at least when it comes to close friends
- Hard worker; has a yearly part-time job (that I need to settle on), as well as a seasonal part time job working at a local haunted house attraction.
- Dislikes bullies.

Roxie's Relationships

Bree Jones- She's not as fleshed out as Roxie, but I do have some updates for her! Yay! I might end up changing her name, though.

Bree really loves fish. Her dream is to become a marine biologist, and she's had experience taking care of aquatic pets. I'm not certain yet, but I'm thinking she might have a betta tank (maybe a sorority? It's something that's generally agreed to be tricky, but feasible). Because of her love of aquatic animals, she has strong opinions on them. For example, Bree dislikes the idea of cetaceans in captivity, and will probably explain why you shouldn't go to SeaWorld, land of orca abuse. I'm thinking she might also be the type to tell you that sharks, while apex predators, aren't the demons pop culture portray them as, as well as preferring to use products that are good for the ocean, and encouraging proper care of aquatic pets. So yeah, she does have a lot of feelings about fish!

When she was younger, Bree's family went through a nasty divorce. Currently, Bree lives with her mother; she hasn't seen her father in a long time, due to not having a good relationship with him. While the experience was difficult, perhaps traumatic for her, she has somewhat overcome it through counseling and bonding with her mother. She still has some insecurities about it, however. Because it's a sore issue for her, she doesn't like to talk about it too much. Like Roxie, she may have taken a part-time job to help her mother out (maybe working at a pet store?).

Bree is athletic; she's a member of the school's swim team (possible captain? we'll see), and is fairly good at it. In addition, she enjoys kayaking; Chattanooga is right on the Tennessee river, so there's plenty of places for her to check out. Aside from water sports, Bree also enjoys livestreaming video games. I'm not certain what she streams exactly, but I do know she does it purely for fun, as a way to show herself playing video games while chatting with her friends and other people who decide to pop in. She isn't really expecting to get popular at all, really. Bree also enjoys changing her appearance regularly, and usually styles her hair in various ways. For example, one day it'll be a low sidetail, another will be a high ponytail. I imagine her as the type who also randomly decides to braid her friends' hair, too. Generally, I also picture her as the kind of person who invites her friends over to a movie night/slumber party where she styles their hair (possible thread idea?). Speaking of which, she likes movies too; she likes more chick flick stuff.

She has some mean-girlishness to her; while she is part of the popular crowd, she has a mean-spirited, selfish side of her personality. She doesn't go out of her way to bully or anything. However, she is the kind of person who it's easy to tell what she thinks of you. If she thinks you're annoying, dumb, or silly, you'll probably find out pretty quickly. It also doesn't help that there's a moody, rash side of her personality, especially if things don't go her way. On the other side, though, you'll probably also know if she does like you; she's kind and affectionate to her friends. Also, she is popular for a reason; she's both academic and athletic, giving her lots of cred to both crowds. And, as mentioned before, she's pleasant and friendly to those she is fond of.

Bree's not as fleshed out as Roxie, but feel free to toss things my way!

Cliff Notes Version
- Aspiring marine biologist; has strong opinions on issues relating to aquatic life.
- Has kept aquatic pets; might work at a pet store.
- Family had a messy divorce when she was younger
- Likes water sports; is a member of the swim team, and enjoys kayaking.
- Livestreams video games.
- Enjoys changing up her hairstyle a bit.
- Likes chick flicks
- Is popular; kind of has mean girl elements, but is otherwise kind to people she likes.

Bree's Relationships

Note that some details for the two of them may change in the future.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kermit
Member Avatar
eEeEEEeEEEeeEeeeee
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe Michael and Bree be marine bio buddies or something like that. Chattanooga has an aquarium!
"Kermit you are the guy in the horror movie that finds a book bound in human skin and decides to read out loud what is inside for fun" - some mean lady named Ruggahissy

i make art i think????

Sadly kermit looked at a mariavel. It was so sad... such a sad mariavel... like him... he only waned a normal life... was that too much to ask? was it?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking over Michael's info, I feel like he and Bree could have an odd friendship? Bree, being popular and extroverted, would be a bit of a contrast to his introversion. But she'd be willing to bond with Michael over various aquatic critters, as well as possibly being judgy of each other? Also, he has a corgi, and she probably thinks corgis are adorable. <3

Also, that aquarium sounds cool. They have a Twitter account for one of their electric eels that updates whenever there's a strong enough surge from him. I approve.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Ryuki
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Roxanne will probably hate Zach. Yuki's sister Yuka is into fashion and make up.
Art

Character Concepts

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In Zach's case, I think it'd be a case of similar personalities, abrasive relationship. Roxie's pretty trolly herself, and has a sense of humor that occasionally goes into dark or irreverent territory. In addition, they're both YouTubers. That said, depending on what exactly Zach likes to joke about, she'd find it unfunny. While she's the kind of person who doesn't mind jokes about gender, ability, being Jewish, being a goth, or anything else to a certain point, she'd find it annoying if he makes a joke that essentially boils down to something like "lol goths" or "lol jewish kids." Also, depending on what kind of pranks he's fond of, she'd probably dislike it if it's something particularly tasteless.

As for Yuka, I think they'd actually get along. In some ways, they're similar yet different: both are goths with an interest in makeup. At the same time, Yuka's a pastel goth who's more into fashion, while Roxie prefers more of an 80s/90s aesthetic with some punk undertones, and is interested in makeup effects. Roxie would be supportive of her bisexuality, as well; I've thought that she might actually have some degree of consciousness about social justice issues, despite her occasional dark humor, and would find LGBT issues something that needs to be supported. I guess it'd be a "tomboy and girly girl type" scenario, in a sense?

Thoughts?
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Ryuki
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
While I won't be the one handling Yuka, I agree that they could get along. Also, I like the idea of a tomboy and girly girl dynamic between them.

As for Zach, I'll have to get back to you on him. I need to develop him more.
Art

Character Concepts

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can see Roxie and Isra being good friends! They both enjoy horror, and Isra can definitely vibe with Roxie's sense of humor. In addition, Bree and Alison might at least be on friendly terms since they're both in the popular crowd, but they do different sports and clubs. Alison might privately judge her for her blunt nature as well.
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Open to constructive criticism!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
As long as Keith doesn't find out Roxie's a jew, he'd ignore her, and since "goth" is incompatible with "jew" in his mind, he probably won't. But if he does, he'll tell all his friends. At which point jeering is to be expected. Nothing else to add here, unfortunately. My other kids won't interact with yours that much, I think.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:
Chloe Bruges [ - ] - You'll find her doing math.
Joseph "Joey" Quintero - You'll find him writing speaches.
Keith Rogers - You'll find him out with his gang.

In the unlikely event you want to use my characters...

Somersault
Member Avatar
i'm a boss ass bitch (bitch bitch)
[ *  * ]
Kelly and Bree would probably get along reasonably well due to their shared interest in animal rights, and because Kelly's probably reasonably popular.
here's my v7 planning thread or whatever
C-H-A-T-T-A-N-O-O-G-A

V7 HERE WE COME

Concepts

Art Thangs

Let Them Fly Free

backslash
Member Avatar
Who is this sassy lost child
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Depending on how Roxie sees Myles (he's a gossip and enjoys messing with people, but isn't an outright bully) I think they might actually be good friends! They have a lot of compatible interests and I think it'd be neat for him to have somebody to mutually troll. Dolly might also get along with Roxie pretty well as a fellow spooky gal.

Myles probably also knows Bree since he's sort of in the popular crowd, though I get the sense that they probably wouldn't be close.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've updated this thread, I know. I've updated the OP with some of the relationships that were discussed. I might add more I've forgotten, or more that's discussed. Anyways, on to the the relationships responses!

Aloha- Yeah, I can see this happening! Roxie's more of a YouTube person (both watching and creating), but I imagine that she might be interested in following a horror podcast if she likes the concept behind it. She might pop in to listen to some of Isra's own, too. They're also both hard workers, which Roxie would appreciate. And they're both jokey people, too!

Bree and Alison: to be honest, I can see Bree poking fun at her "prudishness", but it wouldn't go any further than just that: poking. But they are both sporty popular girls, yeah! I imagine Bree's kinda-sorta mean girl attitude might cause friction, considering that Alison is privately opinionated. But Bree would at least consider her a good choice for President. : D

Malloon- I'm sorry, but to be honest, it's not something I'm comfortable with. I don't feel it's within my writing ability to portray the effects of antisemitic bullying in a fair manner, and it's somewhere I just don't want to go, at least not without significant amounts of discussion in private. It's just not a subject matter that makes me comfortable, or one that I have any interest in.

Saulty- As long as Kelly likes fish and other aquatic animals, Bree's cool with her. She might get a little envious of her new money background, largely because, while her family isn't dirt poor, they've still had trouble after the divorce. Though, she'd also think of her interest in working at animal shelters and being a vet noble, since she cares about animals too. Overall, though, I'd imagine Bree would be affectionate towards her!

Z- Oh man. I can see Myles pissing off Roxie in so many ways. At the same time, though, they do have a lot of similarities. Maybe a vitriolic frenemy dynamic where they piss each other off both intentionally and unintentionally, but they are friends anyways? Something like that could be fun. It helps that they're both into film design/special effects, as well. O:

Dolly and Roxie, though, would probably be cool with each other. I'll have to think about how exactly Roxie feels about occult stuff; on one hand, she's meant to be a bit religious. On the other, I can see her doing those spooky ghost games like Bloody Mary and the Elevator game, at least when she was somewhat younger. I'm also thinking that she'd, at least, find it interesting. I did mention that she's into supernatural creatures and cryptids, after all! So I think that'd be her answer on that, at least for the time being: she actually thinks it's interesting. Overall, though, the spooky kids definitely need to unite. : D

Bree would tolerate Myles... but just barely. She'd talk gossip and sass about everyone else with him, yeah. But, she'd sometimes get annoyed with him, and not in the same way as Roxie. So, yeah, probably not too close, but she'd talk to him.

Okay, there. Thread's bumped up, OP's been edited some, time to pay attention to this thread again.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Somersault
Member Avatar
i'm a boss ass bitch (bitch bitch)
[ *  * ]
That stuff for Kelly and Bree sounds good! Be prepared for Kelly like unintentionally bringing up Bree's wealth tho. : (

Also, Adele's part of the swim team, specializing in breaststroke, so maybe they're on okay terms?
Edited by Somersault, Sep 23 2017, 10:21 PM.
here's my v7 planning thread or whatever
C-H-A-T-T-A-N-O-O-G-A

V7 HERE WE COME

Concepts

Art Thangs

Let Them Fly Free

Fenris
Member Avatar
head shot (drank)
[ *  *  *  * ]
how do i keep missing people's good kids and the opportunity to make them friends with mine

Roxie: Dante has hit on her at some point. It's what he does. "anti-bullying efforts" are anathema to Ivy; I doubt she like particularly hates Roxie or anything unless she's specifically gotten in her face, but she'd dislike her on principle. Nia's a fellow drama kid and would also probably find Roxie fascinating. Her own disability is kind of a sore spot for her, though, so if she's likely to pick on that they probably wouldn't get along.

Bree: (motions vaguely at dante again) Ivy's definitely part of the popular crowd and tends to either have other popular kids in her sphere of influence or despise them; up to you if you think Bree would tolerate Ivy enough to be on her good side or not. Ian's on the football team and kind of tangential to both the popular crowd and other athletes, they might know each other in passing especially since Ian's nice to pretty much everyone he comes across.

that's all I've got, lemme know what you think/if you have other ideas!
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
v7 kids

the future

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
That's completely fair, KamiKaze. I'm going to do my best to portray Keith and his beliefs as delicately as possible, which I am a little nervous about, of course, but I don't expect anybody to have to participate. I'll just say they don't know each other, and leave it at that.

If you change your mind, though, or are considering changing your mind, I'll happily take time out to discuss the topic at length. Don't feel that reaching out about it obligates you in any way, though, please.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:
Chloe Bruges [ - ] - You'll find her doing math.
Joseph "Joey" Quintero - You'll find him writing speaches.
Keith Rogers - You'll find him out with his gang.

In the unlikely event you want to use my characters...

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I promised myself I would pay attention to this thread. ):

Alright.

Saulty- Ooh, I think Bree would approve of Adele's body positivity, actually. She isn't really an activist when it comes to that subject, but Bree's meant to have a bigger, curvier build as well, so she'd definitely thumbs-up that. They're also both social girls, too, and swim team people! I'm thinking of having Bree run for swim team captain once that's open, so that might influence their relationship in some way? I'll need to figure out what kind of events Bree does swimming-wise, though. But yeah, they have stuff we can work with. : D

Fen- Dante flirting time! Roxie would be kinda similar to Junko way-back-then; she'd go "... Okay", but not mind it, in a sense? I think she'd see him more as a nice friendly guy, if anything. Maybe she'd troll him a little, but that's kinda what she does. All-in-all, not sure how close they'd be yet, but I think Roxie would be friendly. As for Bree... she's pretty confident when it comes to romance/flirting stuff, so she might flirt back. Bree's thing with animals is mostly aquatic life, but it's possible they might bond over that? It depends on what he feels about fish, really.

Oh boy. I think Roxie would be like ":/" at Ivy. I think it'd be the same for her: hate on principle. She wouldn't go out of her way to talk to Ivy, but I think that, if Ivy does something to provoke her or if she spots Ivy mean giriling it up she'd probably snark about it. There's definitely room for conflict. Bree would be much kinder towards her, since they're both mean girls in their own way. Bree's probably kinder in comparison, but she'd be willing to gossip and be judgemental with Ivy. As with Kelly, Ivy's wealth might be a sore issue with her, since Bree's family still has some financial difficulty. But I think that, at the very least, they'd share gossip and be mean.

Nia? I think Roxie would be respectful of her disability, actually! The way Roxie sees it, her own disability is fair game when it comes to humor, largely because it's something she has to deal with, so in a way, it's kinda a coping mechanism. If someone else made the same kind of jokes she'd make about it, she'd get skeeved out. So, she'd apply that kind of logic when it comes to Nia; she wouldn't make jokes unless it's the sort of thing she knew for a fact she was comfortable with. She might troll, but over other things. I think she'd be fond of Nia, really. Roxie might like random trivia, especially if it's particularly weird or creepy; being the perky goth horror fan she is, she'd appreciate learning about, like, various odd supernatural creatures or something. She'd appreciate Nia's presence in the drama club as well!

Bree's thoughts on Ian are... interesting. Being kind of academic herself, she'd frowny-face at the fact that he's a C student if she finds out about it. Basically "You know, it isn't that hard to study" type stuff. But, she'd also admire his drive to at least improve himself. Since he's bad at talking to girls, it might be fun to have him try to hold a conversation, as well. If he had a particularly hard time talking to to her, she'd be like "... Yes? Spit it out. D:<" However, she'd appreciate his athleticism, since she's a swim team person and all. She'd also like his niceness, even if she'd get annoyed at his wishy-washy personality at times. I mentioned to someone else that, since she works at a pet store, it's possible that their character might come in for supplies when she's on shift. The same might apply to Ian, since he has a doggo?

These are just my thoughts, though! Sorry it took so long. X_X
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V7 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply