Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mass Effect Mafia Fallout Thread
Topic Started: Jun 22 2017, 06:39 PM (1,168 Views)
VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
The girl who dreams on the back of a giant space turtle.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Those safe-claims were pretty bad, not going to sugar-coat.

Also I'm not very good at being evil.
Turtle's Signature
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MurderWeasel
Jun 22 2017, 07:35 PM
I had fun with this game for the bits I was in (though I fell out of following it afterwards for non-game reasons). I can't speak to the flavor, but I think having double role PMs for scum is a solid way to handle some of the unique setup elements (including the quoting of PMs) and it's cool to see that that's how things worked. I also am always pleased to see games that skew a bit more vanilla in setup/roles involved, and that's not afraid to assign some vanilla townies.
There weren't that many vanilla townies, though. There were four total in a game where the mafia got bad safe-claims and no power roles beyond the standard ones (and I don't even think my hitman role worked, my kills were blocked multiple times). Town meanwhile got loads of good power roles. Really the only way I think it could have been stronger is if there was a watcher in play.
Turtle's Signature

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't mean to come off as salty.

But I'm really salty.
Turtle's Signature

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Actually you know what I'm not even going to pretend I don't mean to come off as salty.

This setup was horrifically town-sided.

Town had...

ELEVEN out of FIFTEEN TOTAL TOWNIES with power roles and only ONE role that is arguably negative utility (nexus).

SEVEN protective roles (doctor, bulletproof, bomb, commuter, jack-of-all-trades, inventor, universal backup).

FIVE killing roles (vigilante, bomb, inventor, jack-of-all-trades, universal backup).

FOUR investigation roles (cop, inventor, jack-of-all-trades, universal backup).

Meanwhile, scum had...

One hitman with kill-piercing that apparently didn't even work and at least one role that it wouldn't have worked on period (commuter).

One roleblocker that can only stop one of town's ELEVEN power roles a night and that's purely by random chance.

One godfather who wasn't bulletproof in a game with more town killing roles than town investigative roles.

Five safe-claims that were bad flavor-wise and hilariously bad in terms of the roles selected for being safe (FIVE vanilla townie claims in a game where town only had FOUR vanilla townies).

TL;DR this game was disgustingly town-sided and it wasn't fun in the slightest to play.
Turtle's Signature

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MurderWeasel
Jun 22 2017, 09:52 PM
@Maddie: I haven't really figured balance yet--I just like to start stuff off with positive notes and saw some solutions to common issues that I liked! I'll give full setup thoughts later but I do think this skewed notably town. That said, I think your role PM (if it's as quoted) actually explicitly says your kills are blockable, making "Hitman" just a term for designated kill role (which is something I use too). That actually weakens scum compared to a floating kill in terms of balance, as an overall observation.
WHICH MAKES IT EVEN WORSE
Turtle's Signature

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
VysePresident
Jun 22 2017, 09:58 PM
@Turtle - For what it's worth, I think you did pretty well despite being given a crappy hand. You slightly overthought stuff a couple of times, but honestly? You played me so hard for most of Day #1.

I had a solid plan to cast suspicion on the actual members of town (my read list was the start of that) but then Penelope got rolled and I was sad inside and had to work on that and not mafia so... yeah.
Turtle's Signature

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Mafia · Next Topic »
Add Reply