Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mass Effect Mafia Fallout Thread
Topic Started: Jun 22 2017, 06:39 PM (1,171 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I had fun with this game for the bits I was in (though I fell out of following it afterwards for non-game reasons). I can't speak to the flavor, but I think having double role PMs for scum is a solid way to handle some of the unique setup elements (including the quoting of PMs) and it's cool to see that that's how things worked. I also am always pleased to see games that skew a bit more vanilla in setup/roles involved, and that's not afraid to assign some vanilla townies.

EDIT: I do think a couple non-Vanilla safeclaims could've helped scum a lot, though, since whacking vanillas is comparatively low-risk. Though scum of course could've also tailored their claims as the game progressed, and there is a measure of information on town's comp inherent in any safeclaim PR.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Maddie: I haven't really figured balance yet--I just like to start stuff off with positive notes and saw some solutions to common issues that I liked! I'll give full setup thoughts later but I do think this skewed notably town. That said, I think your role PM (if it's as quoted) actually explicitly says your kills are blockable, making "Hitman" just a term for designated kill role (which is something I use too). That actually weakens scum compared to a floating kill in terms of balance, as an overall observation.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Flare
Jun 22 2017, 10:27 PM
Letting people quote their roles pretty much throws this out the window, as you can see by how this game became a discussion of "Would decoy word it THAT way?" and how accurate our hits on scum were after we all just mass-claimed and blew the game open.
Funnily I once got called out for faking a role PM because it was full of typos. It was faked, but my actual PM was also full of typos and I'd put fake ones in for authenticity to that. I guess everyone else got proofread PMs. ><

I don't think PM-quoting is bad if there's a mechanism in place to punish (and mod-provided safeclaims is such a thing--bonus points because scum could very quickly make the pool communal and swap PMs as they desired).

re: balance, I do think Town got a super strong hand and scum did not. Part (indeed, likely most) of this was the spread of roles scum had. Basically, a goon is the vanilla townie of scum and a designated killer with nothing else going is actually worse than a goon in most cases (being vulnerable to trackers, watchers, etc). If scum had had, I dunno, a busdriver and a one-shot strongman and a double-voter (to pick three scummy roles at random) that'd've left them with a few more cards to play to punish town mistakes. That said, we also did see an awful lot of townies effectively dropping out, which is fairly common in SOTF meta and gives scum an instant (and potentially major) leg up; to some extent, that may be a balancing factor of its own (especially since scum almost invariably stick the game out if no replacement can be found).

re: hundreds of posts, there are two sides to that coin. Yes, huge, fast threads are hard to parse. I fell way behind at multiple points and really struggled to force myself through like ten pages of overnight argument (and I had a lot of posts myself!). On the other hand, there are a lot of folks who tend to largely check out of the game, or say they're not good at coming up with stuff early and then sit around waiting for things to develop, and that strikes me as equally problematic and a factor in how certain voices become dominant. You don't have to be perfect to engage in discussion. You don't even have to be good; I think with the last few games I've amply proved my general early-game incompetence. But giving something, even if it's stupid stuff like "I don't like Goose's grammar, watch him later," allows the conversation to become more full.

In short: I think if everyone's posting more, there's gonna be less of the three-people-have-half-the-game effect.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think now's a decent time to remind the collective that, despite occasional suggestions to the contrary, I am truly spectacularly bad at scumhunting in most situations.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Mafia · Next Topic »
Add Reply