Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Empyrean; Calling Coleen, after that open
Topic Started: Jun 9 2017, 02:36 AM (641 Views)
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Oh geez..."

((Coleen Reagan continued from Ye Not))

Coleen breathed the words as a mix of disappointment, frustration, maybe just a touch of resignation dashed onto a spot of hope. So they'd finally found the infamous Kimiko Kao, a name that had been coming across the announcements for a long while. What's more, the two of them had never really talked... for obvious reasons, naturally, giving her little bearing to assess Kimiko's personality, her cues, anything like that. No telling what somebody like her might do.

The last time Coleen had seen Kimiko, she killed Bradley. She killed him with the very same spear that Coleen had clutched in her hands, just as a measure of safety and protection. The rifle on her person would have been the better option and she knew it, but it also stood as the more threatening weapon to be holding and there was a chance, just a small one, that perhaps this encounter would go okay.

"Wait here for just a second. Okay?" Coleen asked Enzo. "I'm not going to get super close to her or anything." The sun hadn't even fully come up over the waves yet, and much of the bridge in the distance was doused in fog. It was a view similar to the one several days ago... how many was it now, Coleen wondered to herself. The days had long since stopped being distinct and separate, a phenomenon not helped by staying cooped up in that rotten building for more than one sunrise. At least here, there was some fresh air. A body or two scattered along the water's edge that the two of them had passed, but with open enough space that at least they were spared the smell or a closer look.

Coleen took one hand off the spear and raised it in a wave, her feet still short of stepping on the docks where Kimiko was hanging out. "Hello? Uh... over here?"
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen's eyes zoned in on the gun Kimiko was holding, and no attempt was made to disguise or conceal her glance nor her concerned expression. The odds of pitting a spear against a gun seemed reasonably apparent, and it was not a game of chance that put the odds in her favor. If she was thinking of killing Kimiko, perhaps she'd consider herself to have a much better chance at it if she weren't dealing with somebody experienced and already proven to be quite competent at the task. Kimiko had shown up on the announcement enough times to make the point.

"Relax..." Coleen breathed. "Nobody's doing anything stupid. We're just watching the sunrise, right?" She raised her chin, directing the latter part of the comment Kimiko's way. "It's early. Did you get any sleep, or are you like us and just having the worst morning ever?" She offered an empathetic smile. "Do you mind if I come onto the docks with you? I'll, like, stay out of cuddling range, I just want to talk to you a little easier."

She made a bit of a dare, but it was a show of good faith more than anything when she averted her eyes away from Kimiko and instead looked at Enzo.

Please trust me.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Okay."

Kimiko nodding was the best response Coleen could have hoped for.

"Okay, cool," Coleen repeated, stepping onto the docks. The spear was pointed at her ankle and held in one hand, switched into the left so she could grab for the rusted railing with her right. It looked to be a tetanus-laden thing and a gateway for scratches and cuts, so she resisted the urge to slide her hand along as she walked. Gingerly, she rested her hand on one spot, making sure the piping wouldn't bend or snap off and send her into the shallows. Each step let her trust the docks more and more, happy that whoever built these things had the foresight to have more to them than just wood.

Coleen stopped around 10, maybe 15 feet away from Kimiko. Communication was going to be an uphill battle, but there were a few things she wanted to know. There were a few things she had to hash out with somebody else who had been where she felt she was going. Of those among the living, she could only think of two or three people she felt comfortable identifying as killers. Nearly everybody left alive had probably killed somebody, herself included, though the circumstances surrounding Arthur's death were not the same as, say, Bradley's. Kimiko had been awfully busy since then, and she was still alive.

"Sorry, I know we don't know each other super well," Coleen said apologetically. "I kept to myself most of the time so like... if you weren't theatre or part of our band, we'd never see each other. Hell of a way to meet, huh?"

Well, might as well stop shooting the shit.

"I wanted to know-"

"It's another beautiful morning today children!" The crackle of the loudspeakers' announcements violently shook the still and quiet morning, causing Coleen to twitch reflexively. Crazy as it might have seemed, the voice was starting to grow on her just a tiny bit. It wasn't a particularly harsh listen once he got going, but the subject could have used a little lightening. She wondered if somebody had ever told him he had a voice for radio. Not wanting to compete with the superior volume of the announcements, Coleen let herself remain hushed for now. They could listen to the names for as long as they wanted. She wondered to herself, for a moment, if Kimiko would be on here.

Her fingers wrapped around her thumb and squeezed until she felt her knuckle pop; Vanessa was dead, killed by Maxim. Societal convention would have had her cry or fall to her knees in shock or something, yet she remained standing with little more of a change in posture than leaning her elbow on the railing as she finished listening. Kimiko was nowhere on there.

"... Some more of our friends dead," Coleen murmured. "Unless Brady n' B.B. are here, I guess that means I'm the last member of Peyote Coyote left here."

She turned and pressed her back to the railing, a little less cautious about whether it would snap off now. Her nose pointed in Enzo's general direction at first, then most of the way back to Kimiko. There was a breeze blowing out from across the water and, thankfully, Coleen had her good side towards it.

"What about you? Are you entirely alone now?"
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen shook her head almost as soon as she saw Kimiko's answer. If there was any other answer she could have reasonably expected, she was unsure just what it was. They'd all spent more than a week's time on this island. Finding dead bodies was more and more common by the hour, to the point where they dotted the landscape and served as a more frequent sight than other living, breathing kids. That was just the ones they were able to find as well; Coleen was sure that a few of her classmates leaped or fell off the bridge or over the cliffs, deciding they were unable to take the stress of the island and instead left themselves to the mercy of the waves. Others might have holed up in a dusty crawlspace somewhere, choosing to starve to death or gamble for a danger zone to give them a quicker alternative. Chances were nobody would ever find every single body littering the island, a thought that disturbed her the more she dwelt on it.

"I thought so," she admitted. "We're getting more tired every minute. I keep thinking that maybe if I get out of here, if this were just like a really fucked up camping trip, I could write one hell of a song with it. That's if I can get any sleep. That's getting harder too."

She trailed off a bit and thought. She wanted to ask about the people Kimiko killed. She was alone, for certain. Was she alone because the killing drove others away, or was she alone because she had killed those close to her? Had she killed her friends? Coleen dared not ask, because she was no stranger to having killed a friend. Accident or not, the announcements played for keeps and withheld as much information as they thought might make things entertaining. She had no right to judge anybody.

Coleen lowered her voice before speaking next. "I'm going to be alone very shortly," she said, looking Enzo's way after she said it. "Not... don't get me wrong. There's only one person I want to hurt. It's not you, and I don't want Enzo to see me when I do it. You guys know each other, right?" Coleen looked back to Kimiko. "You like each other?"
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Awesome."

Yeah, that was just about the only thing she had to say to that for a while.

"You don't... have to answer this one," Coleen started off tentatively. "But I wanted to ask for a little advice. I wanted to know... how. How you could do it." In lieu of words, she only had Kimiko's face to go off of. If she started to offend the girl, she'd head out of there the best Kimiko would let her. A conversation was nice but she had already seen what happened when you started to push her, and that was back when they all could have claimed to have any sanity.

"Like... does it just get easier?"

She swallowed. Her throat felt dry all of a sudden, and not from the ocean spray.

"Do the nightmares stop?"
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh yeah. That look spoke to her more than Kimiko could have ever said, had she possessed the capability to speak.

"I'm sorry," Coleen was quick to say. "That was a stupid question. I'm just... I'm just on the track to becoming, I feel, not a really great person." She found eye contact with Kimiko difficult to maintain, and increasingly so by the minute. Eventually her eyes fell to the other girl's feet. "Because... for a while, I figured the best thing to do would be to take myself out. I... we all knew what was in store for that and when I thought about it, I wanted to jump in the water."

She sighed.

"You know Arthur Bernstein? He was there with us, in the gym." When Kimiko killed Bradley, Coleen thought, but those next words were better off left unsaid. "He helped me out for a while. Was just there until I could rediscover the way... not like, the way out but... shit. How to describe it..."

She could bear to meet Kimiko's eyes again. How she wished she could be talking to the girl back home, the girl who never became a killer, and also as the girl who never killed her friend. Just another burden on her shoulders she had to live with for a little longer, no matter how long or shit it might be.

"It hurts. I just wanted to know if it hurt all of us the same way. You, to me, to Enzo. Because we're still people."

Her ribs pressed into the railing. She figured soon, it would be her time to go.

"Pain's one of those things in life, I found, that's going to find you no matter what. And if I learned anything here, it's that I can't go through the rest of my life being afraid to get hurt." Whether it was hurting from her mistakes or the misdeeds around her or to her, it was all the same. The fear wouldn't make her death come any sooner or later, it just made the point up to it more miserable.

"Anyway, sorry for talking your ear off."
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Coleen sighed, then let her lips slide themselves into a sorry excuse for a smile.

"Yeah... alright. Boy, Coleen, you find the person least likely to make fun of your face, and you totally blow the social interaction. You go, girl." Now was probably just as good a time as any to head on out, before she had to go and actually make Kimiko angry. She gently pushed off of the old rusted railing and adjusted the strap on her backpack, still clinging to the spear. Once she was a healthy distance away and likely out of sight, she'd have to switch over the gun and be ready for anything.

Vanessa, killed by Maxim. Cameron, killed by Alessio. Brady and B.B., killed by crippling anxiety wondering where their missing friends could possibly... ah, heck, the whole world probably figured it out by now. Now if only the governments of the world, with all of their resources, could track down an entire island and save them. It had been more than a week after all and Google was a thing. So... so why? To know that they were all that unimportant, at least in the eyes of the world, would be disheartening to many.

No time to think about that. Coleen mattered to herself. Enzo and Kimiko mattered, at least they did.

All that had to be forced out of her head. Now, only one thing was allowed to matter and until she accomplished it, she wouldn't let herself lose focus.

Coleen walked backwards the first couple steps but then turned her shoulder and walked the rest of the way off the docks. No sense in keeping her face towards Kimiko. It's not like looking at the girl could stop a bullet if she decided to draw her weapon, so one final display of at least the slightest modicum of trust... even if trust is what apparently got Vanessa killed, not that the voice in the sky could be believed even a little bit, not after the ration of shit he'd been feeding them.

Finally, her feet stepped off of the wood and concrete construction.

"... I have to do something, Enzo," Coleen said flatly. "Keep Kimiko company until I get back."

"And for the love of god, DON'T follow me."

((Coleen Reagan, continued in Waiting for the End))
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Docks · Next Topic »
Add Reply