Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
This Is The End Of His Story
Topic Started: Jun 5 2017, 06:30 AM (744 Views)
Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Alba Reyes continued from The Ones You Trust))

Alba sat up on the bed as the announcement played out. The sound woke her up and she immediately got into position, ready to hear what was coming up. Ty wasn't on the announcements, nor were Bryony nor Kimiko. It was hard to hear Brendan get credited for Jaime's death, just as it was to hear that Fiyori killed someone. The announcement said Brendan killed Jaime after a fight. That told Alba that they were framing Brendan as a villain, so it was likely people would come for him.

Yesterday was a quiet day, but it wasn't an effective day. They had wandered around, but they didn't find Ty. They eventually met Jon and went into the asylum for the night. Alba locked herself in one of the wards and slept awkwardly. It had been a rough day after seeing Jaime die and Jon nearly kill Brendan. She wasn't sure how much sleep she did get, but she had to hope it was enough. They had a lot more searching to do today, and she needed to be sure that Brendan and Jon were still with her so that she could join them in their quest.

Alba stood up and stretched a bit. She then grabbed her pants and hoodie off the floor and put them back on. After a week of wearing the same clothes, she wanted to dress down a bit as she slept. It didn't help much, but she was alone (relatively) and wanted to do something to make her feel a little more comfortable.

Granted, she was tired, hungry, her teeth hurt, and her hair was a greasy, ratty mess. It wasn't likely she'd get to deal with those any time soon, so she tied her hair back and took comfort knowing that if she did get off the island, she'd make sure she bathed every day and take better care of her teeth.

She grabbed her bags and the rifle, then walked out and towards Brendan's ward. She walked to the door and knocked.

"Brendan? Can I come in?" she asked.

She quickly glanced around the hall. It didn't look like anyone was around, but getting out of the hall would surely put her in a more peaceful state.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba stepped into the room. She saw Brendan sitting on the bed, energy bar in hand. Alba hadn't eaten yet, but she'd likely snack on a bar as they started to walk away. They didn't have time to waste, after all, so a breakfast to-go was her best choice.

"Yeah, I didn't sleep well either," she said, moving behind the door and putting her back to the wall.

She kept the rifle pointed to the ground.

"But whatever, I'll shake off the drowsiness. Have you seen Jon yet?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba turned her head down slightly when Brendan mentioned Maxim and Fiyori. It was hard to think that their friends were killing again. There couldn't be too many people left, so it was likely they'd only run into killers at this point. Alba wondered how some of them could make it nine days without killing and realized how envious she was of those people.

Brendan continued to talk. He was asking her if she thought he could be a good person. Alba was prepared to tell him exactly what she had been telling him over the last week. Obviously, she thought he could be a good person, and she was going to make sure he was on the path that showed he could be that person.

However, this led into some other confessions. Alba had forgotten that Brendan confessed to her yesterday, and now he was directly telling her that he loved her. Her mouth fell open slightly. Was this seriously happening? The first time she got confessed to had to be in the middle of Survival of the Fittest.

Alba looked slightly away from Brendan for a second. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to say now. Part of her was touched, but the other part was confused. Was he really in love, or was it the island stressing him out? She probably made things worse by kissing him the other day in that moment of passion. Was that a sign that she loved him, or was that her just letting some horniness out while she was highly emotional? Alba decided she needed to speak, but also had to work out everything in the process.

"Um...let's start from the beginning," she said.

"Do I think you can be a good person? Yes. I do. I know you want to be good, I know you know how to be good, and I know you're prepared to make sacrifices for that. I know you have a lot of self-loathing, but I think we all do at this point. I mean, the three of us have all killed at least one person here. We're all pretty lousy for that, but I think we want to be better than that."

"If you think you can help me and Jon reach the end, you're free to try. I'll help you get as far as I can. I'm serious about that."

Alba cleared her throat. She thought that saying all those things would help her understand if she was in love with Brendan as well. Now she wasn't so sure.

"As for love...um..."

She bit her lip. Her heart was beating fast, and she felt her body getting stiff. She scratched the back of her head. Then the words fell out of her mouth.

"...sorry...I don't know what to say right now..."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba jerked her head back up when Brendan began to leave the room. He was upset about what he did and didn't seem that pleased with her reaction. He said he couldn't make anyone happy, then disappeared to get Jon. Alba rubbed her forehead.

"Crap," she muttered. "That's not at all what I meant."

All Alba meant when she said she didn't know what to say was that she wasn't sure how to respond. She didn't expect to get confessed to, and she wasn't sure how, or if, she could reply. She didn't want Brendan to think it was a rejection or that he was a screw-up. She was just surprised.

Alba walked over to the doorway and looked out at Brendan and Jon. Brendan asked to talk to Jon.

"Hey, guys," she said. "Please don't leave me out of this. Can I come over too?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Okay, yeah," Alba said. "Let's do things right."

Alba turned back and looked into the room. She wanted to make sure they didn't leave anything in there. Odds are they'd all start searching for Ty and anyone else they could think of, so it'd be easier if they had everything they needed then. Once she saw the room was clear, she turned to see the guys and begin their morning conference.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't be happening. As Alba turned back to face Brendan, she saw him get hit in the stomach and fall to the ground. She didn't hear a gunshot, but when he hit the ground, her eyes widened. It was an arrow. She quickly looked down the hall.

"Jae!" she muttered at the sight of the assailant.

It was the same as the chapel gardens a few days ago. Jae was there, and she shot Brendan. Unlike last time, Alba was ready for him.

"Jon! Get Brendan!" she shouted as she moved slightly into the hall.

Alba raised the rifle in Jae's direction and screamed. She pulled the trigger, sending a hail of gunfire down the hall. For the first time in her life, Alba fired the rifle with the intention of killing someone. It was horrible to think she had to do this, but she didn't have time to think. Jae shot to kill, and she made Brendan a promise that she intended to keep.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba let out a short cry when she realized Jae fired back. She was able to move out of the way, causing the bolt to miss her entirely. She turned to look at the bolt, then back at Jae. Jae was already hurrying away. She would have gone after him, but that didn't matter right now. Brendan was hurt, and he needed her help.

Alba kept the rifle pointed down the hall where Jae was and hurried across the hall into Jon's room. She slammed the door shut behind her. Jon was already freaking out about what to do, and Brendan was trying to calm them down. Alba got on her knees to look over Brendan.

The arrow was in his stomach. This wasn't like when he got shot the other day. There was little she could do for him right now. She knew it would be bad to take the bolt out of his stomach, but Brendan would probably perish if they did nothing. She didn't know what to do, when suddenly Brendan said he can't come with them.

"Hey, don't say that," Alba said, giving a worried smile to Brendan. "Come on, we're gonna find Ty and Bryony and everyone and figure out what to do. You can't just leave us..."

She felt her eyes starting to tear up.

"...I never even got to give you a proper answer..."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba felt tears start to stream down her face. This really was the end for Brendan. He was losing consciousness and bleeding out more and more. It wasn't how she wanted to see him go; ideally she wouldn't see him die here. But at the least she didn't have to go through with the promise to kill him if he was going too far the wrong direction.

But she had only a few moments left. Brendan wanted her answer. She had to give him something in these last few moments. She had to give him something to make him happy before he died.

"My answer..." she began

She gulped, then looked at Brendan. She reached down and tightly held onto his hand.

"I don't know if I love you romantically. Honestly, this place is so crazy it's hard to figure that out right now, and I don't want to be dishonest. But you are my best friend here, and for the rest of my life I will call you that. You've helped me out so much here. You made me feel safe and comfortable when I didn't. You were a great date for Sadie Hawkins, and you've become someone I consider family."

She sniffled and wiped her eyes. She then gave Brendan a soft, gentle smile.

"I will never forget you and all you did for me. I'll carry that in my heart forever. And I will never forget how happy you made me during this horrible game. Thank you, Brendan. Te amo, mi amigo."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was done.

With a thanks and a smile, Brendan Harte finally passed away. Alba kept a smile on her face while he was conscious, but once the light from his eyes disappeared and his breathing stopped, the smile disappeared from her face. Alba hung her head low and let out a whimper. She then burst into full-on sobbing, with her tears dripping down her face and onto the floor below.

She tightened her grip on Brendan's lifeless hand. She thought she should say something to Jon now that it was just the two of them. She tried, but felt her throat tightening up.

As a result, Alba remained in place, crying for the loss of her friend.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba continued to cry, her gaze stuck to the floor. She curled her free hand into a fist, digging her nails into her palm. She couldn't remember the last time she felt so horrible. This was several times worse than when she killed Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn could have been avoided. This probably couldn't have been. Maybe if she had stalled when replying to Brendan's confession, Jae would have just walked by none the wiser. It pained her to think her wishy-washiness could have killed her friend.

She froze when Jon put a jacket on top of her. Her eyes bolted open. She looked up and realized she was wearing the leather jacket Jon was wearing. Jon took off his hoodie and placed it over Brendan. Alba was thankful for that. She would have wanted to put Brendan under the covers of the bed like they did with Jaime. At the very least, it was a good gesture on Jon's part.

Jon stepped into the hall, holding a rubber mask. Alba turned and faced him as he looked back at her.

"Jon?" she asked, staring at him.

She suddenly got very worried.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba stared at Jon. She lowered her head slightly, breaking the gaze. She understood what Jon meant. Jae was dangerous. He had killed a few times before now, threatened her twice, and now he had actually killed someone she cared about. As sad as she was right now, the reality of the game was still there.

"Yeah...he needs to be stopped," Alba said, slowly turning back from Jon to Brendan.

"But..."

She looked over at Brendan's covered body, then to the recorder in his hand, then back at Jon.

"...I don't know if I can stop him..."

This wasn't like with Kimiko. She couldn't respond to Brendan's death like she could with Bradley's. She felt glued to the floor, crouched helpless, grasping to Brendan's limp hand.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba sat quietly as Jon admitted to how he killed Amanda. She didn't know what to say. Like Brendan, he was clearly torn by his killing and had a lot of conflicted feelings about it. She wasn't sure if she could say anything to make him feel better, especially considering how horrible she felt right now.

"Sure," she said in response to Jon's request. "What do you want me to do?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And just like that, Alba was all alone again. Only this time, there wasn't the hope of finding Brendan or her other friends again. Jon was on good terms with her, but since he echoed back the same promise she made Brendan, that told her that things likely wouldn't end as well. Jon was going after Jae, but she had no idea if he'd come back alive or sane. Alba hung her head low. It was all falling apart, and there was nothing she could really do right now.

Well, there was the matter of Brendan's body. Even though Jon covered Brendan's face, it still felt weird to leave him on the floor. Alba walked over to the nearby bed and pulled the sheets off. Then, with some struggle, she dragged Brendan up onto the bed. The sweatshirt fell off, and the object Jon put in Brendan's hand also fell. Alba would collect them in a moment, but there was still something else to deal with first.

Her eyes moved down Brendan's body towards the bolt in his chest. Even if she covered him, this would still be in his chest. She wouldn't let that stand. Alba walked closer and put one hand around the bolt. She put the other on Brendan's chest, putting the shaft of the bolt between her fingers. She breathed in and out.

"Sorry," she said before pulling as hard as she could.

The bolt came out of his chest, and she curled her second hand so it was also curled around the bolt. The hole in his chest started to bleed out a bit. Alba grimaced, but turned away from it. She laid the bolt on Brendan's torso, then folded his arms over it so his arms were crossed over his chest. She didn't really have a use for the bolt, and she figured it would be better left with Brendan. After making sure his eyes were closed, she then covered his body with the blanket.

She then picked up the sweatshirt off the floor and took a few seconds to fold it. She laid it on top of Brendan's body where the blood from his chest would was starting to stain the blanket. It was kind of creepy to see it forming, and she figured the sweatshirt could obscure it a bit. She then noticed the other item on the ground, and picked it up.

It was a tape recorder. Alba had seen these on TV, but never used one before. Jon had spoken into it before he left, so maybe she could say something as well. She studied the buttons on the device, then figured out how to make it start recording.

"Um...hi..." she began.

She quickly looked back at Brendan's body on the bed, then back to the recorder.

"My name is Alba Reyes. The body here is Brendan Harte. I don't know who is going to listen to this, but please know that, although Brendan made a lot of mistakes, he was a good person. I know you may not believe that, but trust me. As someone who was here when Jae killed him, I saw that he was conflicted and sorry for everything he did."

"I don't know what's going to happen to me now, but if I don't make it, please find Brendan's family and my family, and please tell them we loved them so dearly. Please tell Brendan's family that his best friend tried her best to help him, but it wasn't enough. Please tell my family I'm sorry for what I did here, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to come home."

"Please do this for us, and I'll be so grateful. Goodbye."

Alba stopped recording. She laid the recorder on top of the sweatshirt and stared at Brendan's body.

"Goodbye, Brendan. Thanks for everything."

She blew a kiss at his body, then grabbed her stuff before heading out into the hall. She went the opposite way from where Jon and Jae went. She knew there would be trouble if she went that way, and right now, Alba just wanted some time alone.

((Alba Reyes continued in Origin of Symmetry))
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Regular Wards · Next Topic »
Add Reply