Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Staff Responsibility/Accountability
Topic Started: May 30 2017, 02:31 PM (3,017 Views)
Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
I'd like to weigh in too, since everybody seems to be doing it. I'm still a newbie, so if my opinion isn't considered equal to others, I'm fine with that, and understand it. But hear me out if you can.

Now, there are two sets of rules that are relevant here - the rules for staff, and the rules for handlers. Both are argued to have been broken - by Ciel and by a staff member. The debate as is has been between which set is more important, since that would dictate which outcome would be chosen (an outcome that Staff at least now sees as decided due to Scout's death post, it seems), between whether or not Ciel or Staff actually broke the rules, and whether or not the rules should be followed at all in this case, since they don't seem conducive to the goals of this site.

I'll give my own opinion on that in a moment, but first I'll need a jumping off point:

The rules as a whole are there to give structure to this entire ordeal and make that structure consistent. Technically, staff could run this site without rules, operating on a whim based on whatever they think is fair at the moment. Practically, though, that wouldn't be fun in the long run, and people would leave. Why? Because there would not be enough consistency; one person would be treated so, and the other so; and at one point such and such a decision was reached, and the next time it was different. That breeds resentment (which we're seeing a taste of here), since people generally want to be treated equally and not feel as if decisions are arbitrary,

This is why leniency may feel like a right for some people - "Other people were granted it, why should I be denied it? What makes me less worthy of it?" etc. And you know, I sympathise (not because I've been treated unfairly, I feel, definitely not, but because I'm human). This is how leniency can cause problems - it's inconsistent and can feel unfair if there seems to be no difference between cases.

Based on what I've seen of people talking about the beginning of this site, I don't think I need to go into too much detail. Suffice to say, the rules exist for a reason.

If both side of the issue have broken the rules, however (which I would disagree with, since on a purely technical basis, only Ciel broke a rule (sorry Ciel)) and the consequences of both are inconsistent, then the only option left is inconsistency. If there were a rule in place to deal with conflicting rules, then there wouldn't be inconsistency, but there isn't, so whichever option offers the least inconsistency, it seems, would then be the best option. Murder and Riki have said that what Staff says through SOTF_Help should be considered true for fairness for the handlers on the receiving end, even it it's because of an individual member going rogue, but while that might be a good policy and perhaps a good rule, it isn't official. Since it isn't official, even though it perhaps should be, the only inconsistency is perhaps the lack of leniency. I'll get back to this later.

For Ciel's case, which might or might not be a moot point at this point, some people have said say that we can be lenient despite the importance of rules, as long as it's stated that this is a one-off thing because of the mistake made by the member of Staff or because that would be more conducive to the fun we're to have here. The counter-argument that has been made to the first point is that this is not a one-off thing and gives individual staff members too much power, whether or not they're punished afterwards, since this does set a precedent for any case in the future where a staff member makes a mistake - it's either that, or more inconsistency, which would also counter the second point, since that would impact the fun for other people in the future, among other things. In essence, if and on whatever grounds leniency is/would be granted here (since this has been thoroughly discussed and will be brought up in later cases), whatever is granted has to become a new rule.

This same counter-argument above has been used against the idea that there should be a rule that everything that Staff says in official capacity should be true - having individual staff members make a decision that can't be changed can definitely be dangerous. I don't have to say why, I think. That fact that staff members are thoroughly vetted before joining mitigates this somewhat, but staff members are people, and people can make mistakes, as demonstrated here.

Should Staff have been lenient for Ciel? Maybe, maybe not, but I agree with Riki that that's not the main issue here. I don't agree that whatever Staff gives out officially should automatically be considered true, however. Mistakes do happen, but mending it sometimes needs changing what was said before. Just having anything be subject to possible change, however, leads to, say it with me, inconsistency, and the unfairness people have been complaining about. So I propose a compromise. Give Staff a 24 hour grace period to amend any official statement, after which everyone will just have to live with it. This can include, of course, saying "This decision was not made unilaterally. Please wait while we amend and discuss this." I would also propose an extra 24 hours be added on top of any deadline in which Staff takes a hand - in Ciel's case, being in the middle of writing and having that be a reason for leniency would mean being in the middle of writing 24 hours after the first reply would also count.

This gives Staff the power to counter rogue decisions while also generally being fair to people.

*Edited for grammar and spelling.
Edited by Malloon, Jun 8 2017, 06:59 AM.
V6 Character - Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
Future Characters:
Chloe Bruges - You'll find her doing math.
Joseph "Joey" Quintero - You'll find him writing speaches.
Keith Rogers - You'll find him out with his gang.

In the unlikely event you want to use my characters...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
In addition to what I just said, I'd also suggest extending Ciel (and maybe Aura) an olive branch and allowing them to write the death scene(s) themselves. This will be based on the uncertainty created by this incident and Ciel not knowing about my hypothetical 24 hour rule (because it wasn't a rule at that time) and therefore won't be applicable in the future, creating no unfairness by allowing it.
V6 Character - Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
Future Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Well, that's settled then, it seems. I suppose it might be worth it to discuss the issues above further, but I think that any urgency around this topic has been removed. For the leniency shown here - I think we can agree that this is an incredible gesture, not one given lightly. The situation is almost unique, and I doubt any resentment will come out of this, so I can only applaud it.
Future Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Support/Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply