Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Classmates; Day 7
Topic Started: Apr 17 2017, 11:02 AM (914 Views)
ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
(( Jonathan Gulley continued from We Are Monsters ))

This wasn't good. Was Brendan still following him?

Shit... he needed to reload, he needed to find somewhere to lay low.

It wasn't a good idea to sprint halfway across the island in a rubber mask, hoodie, and a leather jacket.

He ducked behind a tree and looked around. Brendan wasn't anywhere around right now, he had his chance. He pulled his mask up away from his mouth so he could breath fresh air again. The scent of blood, sweat, plastic, and his own breath wasn't a good combination.

Jon began loading the revolver, putting in the 4 shots he didn't manage to drop inside it.

He reached into the bag and counted how many was left. He guessed he had at least... 10 shots left.

He grabbed two more bullets and filled the revolver. That would be enough for now.

He continued to look around, Brendan should be coming any time now.

Wait... Jon looked behind him again.

Brendan had somehow overtaken him and got in front of him during the chase.

All alone.

He slowly snuck in closer, revolver in hand.

*CLAP*

Jon fired his first shot, and began moving to another location, ducking behind trees.

He peeked around the corner of it and fired two more shots.

If it weren't for the mask blocking his peripheral vision, he might've noticed Al and Amanda.
Edited by ToxieTheToxicAvenger, Apr 20 2017, 01:27 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
The tree practically exploded around Jon as he took cover.

What the fuck was that?!

Jon peeked around the side and saw Alessio standing there with a new shotgun.

Fuck! Just his luck, first Alex comes back to life to kill Michael, now Al's back with a gun, hell even Jon came back! Hell of a time for death to take a fucking lunch break, shit!

Jon fired back at Al before taking cover, and reloading his gun.

He wasn't here for this shit, it was supposed to be one on one, where the fuck was Brendan?!

He looked around, then saw him lying down in the ground, hiding again.

Was this some sort of trap? Screw it.

Jon dipped back into the tree lines, ducking out of Al's point of view.

If this was a trap, and he was going to die anyways, he might as well make sure Brendan didn't get to live to do this to someone else.

He got close, running up the hill towards Brendan, he was almost point blank.

If he hadn't suffered from tunnel vision, he would have saw what was going to happen next.

His left ear started ringing, and Jon's body was forced into a nearby tree, his head smashing into the side of it.

He blinked, and he knew something was wrong the moment he lurched forward. Someting was wrong. Really wrong. Everything looked funny, something was different but he didn't know what.

Blood, lots of it, pouring down. He couldn't find his hand for a moment, he looked for the trail of blood before he found it, and tracked where it was moving.

His hand moved up, feeling the blood pour between his fingers as he raised it to the source.

His mask. The eyehole. Blood. He didn't feel it. He couldn't see from that side.

Jon stumbled back, his hand reaching for his face as his body went into subtle convulsions.

His hand felt around that side before it felt something odd... stuck to the cheek of the mask. It stuck to his glove as he pulled his hand back to look, but it slid off before he got a good chance to see what it was.

Dizzyness overtook Jon again, he tried to lean his head back, his hand tried to block the hole the blood was leaking through, but he lost his footing, and rolled down the other side of the hill.

On the way down he caught a glimpse of the one who shot him, but his eye focused on something else.

The last thing he saw before he blacked out was the face of a familiar corpse staring back at him.

ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Jon couldn't do anything but watch as everything faded away from him.

It's the worst feeling in the world, to realize you never really had a choice at all.

Well that wasn't completely true.

Barry saved him. Barry wanted to help everyone, as did Jon. They chose to do that, they tried to.

After Barry died, he became nothing more than a pawn.

He was only a pawn to Darius, he was only a pawn to Brendan... He found the one person he actually wanted to see, and he was actually given a choice again. Jon stayed with him because the choice sounded nice, it could've been peaceful. They should've drowned at the docks that night.

Then that was taken away, and then he chose to get revenge.

That choice was removed from him by Michael's killer.

He found Michael again on the other side, he chose to stay with him, he didn't want to be here anymore.

That choice was taken away by the same person that shot him just now.

She's the one who wanted him to live, and here she was, shooting him for Brendan.

Why?

Jon made another choice, he chose to shoot at Brendan, he chose to get him to chase him. He thought he was the one leading the ambush, but it was all in reverse.

In a way, Jon knew he deserved this. With all the choices his second chance granted him, this was the one he chose, but it didn't make it hurt any less.

He closed his remaining eye, hoping the pain would cease, him leaving with it.

It didn't. It just started throbbing.

It hurt worse the more he laid there.

When you're dying, it's supposed to stop hurting, not hurt worse, and that's when Jon realized it. He wasn't dying.

His eye trailed from the body of his partner to the two laying down the hill nearby.

Jon tried to get up, to shoot them with his revolver. It was out of his hand and he didn't know where it was.

He slowly started flopping down the hill, it was pathetic in a sense, you could've been forgiven for thinking it was comedic even. It was like a fish out of water, his limbs felt like jello.

The static slowly left his body as he forced his way down there. The pain wasn't subsiding, but it was getting overshadowed by something else.

Anticipation, anger? Jon didn't know. Energy.

That's what it felt like.

He tried to help people, but he just wasn't good at it.

They wouldn't let him even if he could.

Maybe... just maybe, he wasn't here to help people.

He was close enough now...

Jon lurched forward, he shot up. His arms gripped Amanda's rifle, yanking it away from behind her.

*CLAP*

She didn't even get a chance to turn around before the trigger was pulled.

*CLAP*

She did that time.

*CLAP*

*CLAP*

She finally hit the ground. The barrel was pointed towards her now prone body.

*CLAP*

Jon's head turned to look at Alessio, he was running away, too far to shoot from here.

He looked back towards Amanda and Brendan.

He shifted the barrel from the now red-stained girl and shifted it towards the one who caused him so much pain...

ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
"Don't..."

He hated that look Brendan was giving him.

He didn't have to do this...

Exactly. He didn't have to do this, he chose to. Brendan put him all through this, now it was Jon's time to turn it around. This was Jon's way of giving himself a choice again.

"Don't beg."

He locked his eye to Brendan's.

Jon was the one in control now, he wasn't the pawn anymore. He wasn't a tool to Darius, and he wasn't going to be Brendan's anymore. He won't be dragged around like a puppet anymore. He won't let them toy with him anymore.

He had shot Amanda, not once, not twice, more than that. He could do it again, and he would do it again, just like everyone else would do the same to him, just like Amanda shot him.

"You don't have the right to beg anymore, you know what you did!"

Jon found himself suddenly screaming. He should just shoot Brendan now, it wasn't smart to do this, but he wanted to hear Brendan say it himself first.

ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
It was kind of funny how scared Brendan was. He used to tower over Jon, back when he could pretend he was with Jon.

Here he was, laying on the ground, begging Jon not to kill him. He was afraid of him for once. The power was shifted, and Jon wasn't that kid who was so easily taken advantage of.

Jon didn't speak anymore as he stared at Brendan.

He went through everything he's done, trying to pick *one* of the things he's done, like he didn't realize that it was nearly all of it.

Was it when I killed people? Or when I ran away?

Gee, I don't fucking know... If you have to ask the damn question in the first place that should tell you something shouldn't it?!

Shouldn't it?

Jon slowly nodded his head up and down at everything Brendan said, before something stopped him.

He mentioned him. Jon froze.

Brendan knew he was twisting the knife now, he was trying to throw Jon off.

Jon wanted to look over to his left, to see him one more time before he pulled the trigger for him. He couldn't, Brendan would get away if he did. That's why he said that, he said that to get Jon to make a mistake, to hesitate.

The whole thing was all lies with no regrets, it was insults veiled as condolences.

The cherry on top was the last question he asked. Like the other questions, he asked it like he didn't know the answer, when it was clear, very clear he knew.

Jon nodded his head once more.

Up.

Down.

"You done yet?"

Jon moved the barrel across Brendan's form, as if trying to pick a spot to shoot. Should he just put one in his head and get it over with? Should he put one in his gut so Brendan had more time to think about why he's here in the first place?

Brendan didn't answer him.

"I said are you fucking done yet?!"

ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
There was something wrong about this. Those last words.

Was Jonathan the one in the wrong here? Or was it just Brendan fucking with him.

He was right here, Jon could shoot him right now. He wanted to. After he realized how much he's been betrayed by him, he wanted to.

Even then, he still remembered that Brendan was the one who was waiting for him after what happened to Barry. Jon didn't even have a shirt at that point, and Brendan gave him his- No, No! He's just fucking with you! Don't fall for it, don't listen!

He left to kill Jerry remember? Nancy got away because of him, she killed so many, hurt many more.

He kept the barrel pointed at Brendan, though it was now shakier as he removed his hand from the barrel, now holding it with one hand. The other reached back and pulled Brendan's hood off the mask. The hand reached up and tore the plastic prison away from his skull.

He wanted Brendan to see what happened to him. The mass of bandages and blood. The now missing eye he had. It was kind of funny in the morbid sense, Brendan got to see it before Jon did. Would Jon even have the time to treat it, or was he just going to bleed out after this? His remaining eye gazed into Brendan's as his hand returned to the barrel.

"S...Say that again, one more time."

He wanted to know, he had to. He wanted to see if Brendan was really lying to him this time.

He wanted Brendan to look him in the eyes. One red, practically gone, one starting to turn pink...

ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Jon raised the barrel towards Brendan's head. He still didn't pull the trigger, not yet.

"Did you even know the girl you saved?"

Maybe... Maybe Brendan wasn't malicious, but now it didn't matter. What he had done was done. What Jon had done is done.

Oh God, I just killed someone...

He looked towards Amanda's corpse. No way she wasn't. Too many holes. Too much red. You did that Jon. That was supposed to be Brendan.

He looked back to Brendan, he didn't wait for an answer.

"It was Nancy, Brendan. Nancy Kyle."

He didn't want to look at the other corpse. The one still watching him. All he could do was tilt his head in that direction, keeping his eye contact away from him.

"He told me, before Alex happened."

He looked Brendan in the eyes once more.

"Why'd you run away from Danny? Couldn't have been death was so scary, you seemed to cause it pretty easily."

Jon felt his socket twitch in the place of tear drops, that side of his skull throbbing.

"I just wanna know that. Why is it so easy for you?"

Jon tried his hardest not to look at what remained of Amanda.

ToxieTheToxicAvenger
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Jon watched Brendan's face crack and break apart at the line. He watched him fall apart. He saw him fall to the floor, laughing, then sobbing.

He took a moment to lower the gun, to look around. The world spun when he stood still, it spun faster when he turned. Amanda's corpse, the treelines, the docks and water, Michael, Brendan's sobbing form. He had to look at everything around him, to really take it in.

Was this real?

This didn't feel real.

It wasn't what he expected.

You killed someone Jon. Someone who saved your life. You didn't want it then, but it still happened. It should've been Brendan down there, but it's not.

Amanda gave you a second chance, and what'd you do with it?

Weren't you even paying attention to what Michael told you?

It wasn't worth it, none of it was. You could've done anything with that chance.

Everything that's happened since then, that was on you.

Brendan made mistakes, you made mistakes.

If you shoot him now, you better be prepared to eat the barrel too. Wasn't that what you wanted in the first place? That's all you had to go on, it was your only purpose at this point. From the look of it, Brendan would want it too. Neither of you really deserved it though. It would be too easy for the likes of you both.

He aimed the barrel towards Brendan's head, it would be quick. Maybe not clean, but it wouldn't hurt. Not like Amanda had.

His eye trailed back to Amanda.

Wrong place, wrong time. That's all that amounted from her death. What'd she get in return for this?

Did she deserve anything for this? You really think you deserve to get out of it the easy way, Jon?

You've hurt people. You've killed someone. When the announcements come in, you'll have hurt more. The people back home were watching. The dead were watching.

Jon breathed in.

"Y'know what Michael told me? He told me, back when we thought he killed Alex, that he didn't... he didn't feel anything good coming from doing this. It was pointless, nothing came from it. I didn't believe him, and I tried to go after Alex. He nearly killed me, well, for a while, he had killed me. While I was out, I realized that's what I really wanted."

He pointed the barrel to Amanda's corpse.

"She saved my life. Look at how I repaid her."

He pointed the barrel back to Brendan.

"It was supposed to be you there, not her. That was my mistake. I wanted blood, and I got it. Now what?"

Jon himself started to cry.

"He was right. I didn't believe him and he was right."

He finally lowered the gun, and crouched next to Brendan.

"I... I came to kill someone, and I did. I'm not going to do it again. There's... no point. Amanda died in your place, and that was my mistake. I have to live with that, and because of that you get to."

Jon planned on turning around right then and there, but he stopped when he realized his bag wasn't on him anymore. It must've fell off when he rolled down the hill.

He grabbed Amanda's bag in it's place, picking up his mask while he was there.

"I hope I never have to see you again, Brendan."

As he walked away he stopped by Michael's body.

He knelt by and closed the corpse's eyes.

He realized he still didn't have anything to cover him with.

There was another thing tugging at him however.

If he didn't want to spill anymore blood, then why did he take the bag with the ammo? Why did he take the mask?

((Jonathan Gulley continued elsewhere.))
Edited by ToxieTheToxicAvenger, Apr 27 2017, 03:03 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Docks · Next Topic »
Add Reply