Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V6 Final Ten Predictions; Since chat was talking about it.
Topic Started: Apr 11 2017, 11:00 AM (521 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
Celestial
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In no particular order, now edited with my reasons!

1. Fiyori Senay

I really like Fiyori for reasons that are difficult to articulate. She has a lot of layers, just a really lost soul who doesn't know what to do with herself when everyone else thinks that she does, a lot of feelings that she herself doesn't know how to handle. You get the sense that she's not really living for herself but for other people and that's an interesting struggle in the environment of the island where one might reason that the best thing you can do for others is to eliminate yourself. Riki is good at introducing characters and then slowly revealing all their depths to you so that when you finally get to the shocking swerve, it's not really shocking at all but it does provide a new lens through which to view their thoughts and actions.

2. Tyler Yazzie or Caedyn Miller

I couldn't choose between Paige's remaining characters, I think I'd be equally happy to see either of them in the final ten or even endgame. On the one hand there's Ty, who is a wonderfully complex character that makes me feel all of the feelings, which is not at all what you would expect just from his concept (and I do think he is one of the characters where memories and some pregame threads are absolutely essential reading to fully understand and enjoy him, there's so much to unpack there). On the other hand there's Caedyn, my favorite bad bitch with white person dreads. I love a villain who thinks they're right and completely owns their terribleness because it makes it all the more satisfying when they eventually crash and burn.

3. Brendan Harte

Listen, I love Brendan. Anyone who has ever heard me talk about Brendan knows I love him. He is just so chock-full of the best intentions and it blows up in his face every single time, but he keeps coming back and trying again. There's some schadenfreude in there because I'm a bad person, but it's always cool to see a character who is the engineer of their own suffering as much as it is the universe picking on them, and though at first glance Brendan seems like someone who would shut down in the face of his failures he's still trucking. Prim's writing style is just so earnest, especially when in Brendan's voice, and it makes for an enjoyable read.

4. Coleen Reagan

Coleen is I think one of the most shining examples on SOTF of how getting out of your comfort zone in writing can be a very good thing. She was given to Kilmarnock as a challenge by Naft in pregame, and though she only had a few threads there she had some really significant interactions with a notable pregame group and nicely established her personality, personal hangups, etc. Even in pregame she proved that she wasn't completely dominated by her defining features (timidness and her disfiguration) and had the ability to overcome them when suitably motivated. This translates very nicely on the island where she starts out like you might expect: despairing, not knowing what to do with herself, looking to others for comfort. The deaths of her friends and allies really force her to take a more assertive role each time, and she's growing into it in a really cool way.

5. Vanessa Stone

Vanessa was one of my favorite characters in pregame just because she is so full of attitude. Every post feels definitively like a Vanessa post and I couldn't mistake her for anyone else, and I have a soft spot for characters who can keep their snark running at a reasonable level and stay exasperated by the situation while everyone else is dying and drinking the Kool-Aid. My main hope for her going forward is that she'll get to see some real action; she has really nice one-on-one interactions with others but she hasn't been in a situation that she hasn't been able to escape and had to face head-on yet.

6. Cass Prince

[that thing that Riki did with the picture on Ty, imagine that I'm doing that here] In all seriousness, Cass is another character who benefits from their handler really knowing what's going on under the hood. Cass's struggle isn't the struggle of survival but more of figuring out the why of surviving. They muse a lot on whether or not they deserve to live, on the ugly things that people do, but they also find solace and beauty in other people even when the world is burning down around them and you get the sense that they really do want the chance not to survive, but to live. It's powerful stuff.

7. Matthew Moradi

Matt is a cool character who I think has flown sort of under the radar by merit of not having an extra-flashy narrative and spending his time in the company of others more given to the spotlight. He's really solid, and a fascinating look at someone gradually losing their empathy and sympathy for others on the island because of the terrible things he is surrounded by day after day. Matt's not quite a manipulator, but he's smart and he has this calculating angle that plays off his companions very well. I get the sense that he'd throw almost anyone under the bus to survive, in a much more understated way than normally happens in SOTF.

8. Blair Moore

SOTF lends itself to a lot of in-character discussion of whether or not some people "deserve" to live, whether some lives are intrinsically more valuable or disposable than others based on what someone has done or where and what they come from, etc., and a lot of characters do end up dismissing others as unfit to live pretty casually. That isn't inherently a bad thing, but the way that Blair doesn't do that is part of what makes her really cool. Once she calms down from the initial freakout of waking up on the island, Blair is pretty set on the fact that she is one of the least fit to come out as the game's sole survivor and her gradual realization that she really does want to live and that her life can and does have value after all is really compelling. It introduces some really interesting questions about this question of the "fittest" in the game - if the island proves nothing else, it is that anyone can die at any time for any reason. The winner could get hit by a bus the day after they go home. In that case, would it really be more or less of a waste than if the winner was an ill girl who might not make it to 40?

9. Kiziah Saraki

Kizi is another fun understated character, and she's someone who has really stuck to her morals and (metaphorical) guns on the island while people are losing their minds and lives left and right. She's one of the few really heroic people left, I feel, and honestly I just want to keep seeing more of her. She's got this flighty narrative style that fits her character very well, and then all of a sudden something serious breaks through and you're just as startled as she is. She struggles with life-or-death situations realistically, but she's not a complete doormat when it comes to confrontation as seen in her argument with Clarice. Kiziah knows that there is still good out there, but what she might not know is that she's one of the most steadfast examples of it in V6.

10. Dorothy Shelley

Dorothy wasn't really on my radar at the start of the game but she has steadily won me over with her not-quite-there narrative and gradual loss of hope and sanity on the island. On paper, she's one of the least threatening people imaginable. Over the last seven in-game days, she's gone from a scared, crying girl clinging to her one friend to beheading the island's bigger killer and holding her own in a fight with other, better-armed people. You can really track how the fear and isolation is stripping away more and more of her hold on things, and it results in something frankly really creepy because she's not cartoonishly insane. She's still scared and suffering just like everyone else, and she's out of good outlets and anyone to ground her.

11. Zombie Kaitlyn Greene
I sent staff 500 emails about giving me more hero cards and they're not responding
Edited by backslash, Apr 11 2017, 03:46 PM.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply