Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V5 Read-A-Thon; Lets goooo for it
Topic Started: Apr 2 2017, 10:02 PM (5,577 Views)
Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
I AM SO READY FOR THIS
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

"Mara was a mistake." - Cicada, 2017
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Got through with Jessica! Here's my thoughts. Overall, I feel rather underwhelmed? Like, the thing with Jessica is she has a really strong beginning, with her starter thread being Jason's death thread (and Joe's first kill!). You also see some really interesting potential when she steals Jason's first-aid kit to help more people. But this fizzles with her next thread, That's Crate, which is also very interesting, given that she meets up with, among other people, Garrett Wilde, Travis Webster, and Island Jesus' group. You also see her try to play mediator in an attempt to avoid violence, and this is an arc that she largely attempts to stick to her entire stay. But you also see the first hints of cynicism grow when she rejects Island Jesus' group's plan, thinking of it as suicide.

My main problem with Jessica is in every thread after, really, because she really loses her momentum. She shows up in a thread every two days, mostly sticking to herself. She's become this girl out for herself, looking to stay out of trouble as much as possible. You don't see any mention of her wanting to help again. This characterization in itself is fine, but the way it's executed is rather lackluster, I feel? After That's Crate, her threads tend to follow a pattern of 'meet new person, get suspicious of new person, run', which gets stale. This is realistic, of course, but she really fails to develop due to following this course. She becomes somewhat static.

Her death thread, on the other hand, is really something. It's two haikus describing how she drowns herself after happening upon a bunch of bodies. There's not much lead-up suggesting to suicide, and it's really abrupt, but I feel it works in a way? It's not really my favorite thing (I always personally prefer longer stuff), but I feel there's so much to unpack, so much untold story, especially in the second haiku, that it works a bit.

Overall, her beginning is strong, her middle is wobbly, and her ending is OK.

Next character, please!
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Done with Paris! Sooooo first thoughts are that Paris is best read if you're not familiar with v5 or SOTF in general, I think? Like, it's not really a shot at the writing at all, it's just that knowing what's gonna happen beforehand given Paris' reputation takes out a lot of the surprise in the story.

That said, I find Paris is pretty decent overall. He has a rather unique arc that you don't really see all too often on SOTF these days, and the explorations of his psyche are rather interesting. I feel he's a more manipulative version of the Christian Player™ done right. I do have a few qualms with him though.

My major qualm with him is that his dialogue tends to ring a bit too hollow. Like, sometimes it screams 'manipulative jerk' in how... artificial it sounds. I get that he's actively trying to manipulate people for his own good, but the way his wirds sound and the way people play along with it makes some scenes seem badly scripted I guess?

What I really like about Paris is how you explore his mind, what pushes him to be that way. Like, the way I see it, his arrogance and religious self-assuredness is his own twisted way of saying thay everything will be alright. His way of justifying everything bad that happens. And I feel this is shown pretty well in his death thread, although it gets rather info-dumpy in his death post.

I think I would've liked to have seen more cracks in the persona Paris put up, because even though I just talked avout his mind being explored, I feel there were some parta of it that were neglected, really.

Overall though, great job for Rugga.

Next one please!
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Done with Kyran!

Let me just start this off with saying that I love everything about Kyran and Dee and I consider them V5's true OTP.

Now, what I like about Kyran in particular is how solid his voice is, how his thoughts are illustrated. He's very realistic. Like, I can easily imagine having the same thoughts he's having, and I can easily imagine my classmates being like him. And it's done in a very show-y manner, without needing use of italics and all (not that italics are necessarily bad, but they can be a bit much at times). I also love his chemistry with Dee, how their relationship develops. The funny thing about Kyran's plot arc is that it would be very boring if not for his voice. Like, the activity's very slow, both OOC and IC, he doesn't encounter anyone aside from Dee until around day 3 or 4, and every thread he's in, he's in for less than a page. And it's almost entirely conversation and passing the time (in fact, one of the recurring themes in Kyran's narrative is how he's gonna pass the time and how he's so bored with passing the time). He doesn't enter a fight scene until he dies. And yet he somehow makes this work.

Although that's not to say that Kyran is perfect. I find that sometimes his prose gets a bit... jumbly? Like the sentences tend to run on just a bit too long, so it sometimes becomes hard to follow what he's saying. But that's just a nitpick.

And then there's his death. I'm not quite sure how to feel about it, because on one hand, it fits him really, really well, but on the other hand, it's kinda like Kyran is exaggerated in this scene? Like, I get that he's a very proud person and that saying his name would signify him being a pushover and whatnot, but I feel that any person would have said their name, no matter how proud they are. The fact that he doesn't, refuses to, pushes this aspect of him a bit far.

But overall, Kyran is honestly one of my favorite characters in V5. Next one please!

V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Done with Clayton.

He didn't really do much. Like, literally, he just pops up in the middle of a thread which doesn't need any more people, dislocates Michelle's arm, hears David's death and gets stepped over by everyone else in that thread, and then gets his collar exploded. And it's a shame because the writing itself, the way Clayton's voice is presented is actually really interesting, as is his profile. There was potential, especially in the beginning with his opening post and dislocating Michelle's arm. And yet it gets squandered. In David's death thread, he just hides without interacting, and there's no lead-up at all to his suicide (although I think this is because he was terminal already, so meh). I'd like to see him in a Second Chances because I really feel like he could've done so much more.

Next please!
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Done with Corey!

Sooooo Corey is overall OK, I guess? Like, I can't really say anything bad about him, but he didn't leave that much of an impression on me.

Corey starts off in a pretty interesting manner, what with saving Rachael and all, and then he gets stuck into an interesting situation when he ends up in a group wherein he's the odd one out (that group being the book club group with Rachael, Timothy, and Michael). While there could have been some tension derived from this, it mostly dissipates since Corey gels with them pretty easily.

Now, Corey's profile describes him as this laidback Internet-surfing dude, and his portrayal by and large matches that. As a result, he often fades into the background, no matter where he goes, and doesn't really serve as the instigator for much till his death. I think this is why he doesn't really leave an impression on me.

Midway through his game, he panics upon hearing about Alex Ripley's death and leaves his group behind. I don't feel this fits, really? Like, it seems rather OOC of him, especially considering how well he gels with his group. And also, Alex's death is only mentioned once after this, so I don't really believe it had much of an impact on him.

He ends up in a group with his friend, Gray, and Cassandra, and again, he fades into the background, woth Gray leading and the others following. Then, they end up into Tell No Tales, which is an incredibly good read, and I strongly suggest anyone going through V5 read this. But, in the midst of all the action going on in that thread, Corey's swallowed up. The one major thing he ends up doing is panicking when faced with an unhinged Sean the Pirate, and running from the group.

Then, he dies. I actually like the specific way he dies. Like, getting an infected wound is pretty realistic and not something you see a lot of in SOTF. But the way the death itself flows is way too quick for a death of that manner. He goes from running across the island to dying in Claire's arms in the matter of a few minutes. Also, the whole last-requests-and-dying-just-as-you-meet thing is pretty cheesy and all.

Overall, Corey isn't really the best read, but he's pretty OK.

Next, please!
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
I AM FINISHED. 34 THREADS READ.

OK, so today I learned that NAFT can thread like a beast. I think he only transitioned to day 2 in his seventh thread.

Now, as to Hansel himself, just wow. His reputation as one of the defining characters of v5 is well-known, and he's probably the most hyped character of v5. So, I came in reading that maybe he might have been a bit overhyped, and maybe he might disappoint.

He did not.

And it's odd too because reading his profile back when v5 was starting, I honestly expected Hansel to be a dud. Like, I was surprised he got accepted into v5 in the first place. But he did, and here we are.

Part of what makes Hansel such a great character is that he gets so much action under his belt, due to Naft's aforementioned threading abilities. By day 2, he's already dealing with the aftermath of his fight with Theo, Daniel's murder, and Mara's kiss, while most kids are only getting past the getting-to-know-each-other stage. And the way he's written is very sharp. The prose is not exactly minimalist, but it says exactly what it needs to say, and with impact. There's so many turns of phrases he uses that are just really creative and really illustrate whatever the prose is going for. And yet the prose isn't purple.

There's also the characterization, how this man is drawn. Hansel could have been a stereotype, could have been some cowboy-wannabe that you'd want to roll your eyes at. Instead, we got a man who became the very epitome of 'it's too late now to go back', someone so dogmatic, so stuck in his ways that his path almost feels inevitable. Even though Hansel got 15 kills under his belt, he doesn't read as some nonstop fight machine (although the fight scenes are definitely well-written also). He has plenty of quiet scenes that are very, very effective, scenes that strip him to his core, really.

Honestly, I could go on for much longer about how great Hansel is, but I'd be repeating myself. He is a must-read for v5.

Next character, please!
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
OK, so, another character from the escape!

Cyrus is... OK too, I guess? Like, the weird thought formatting is a bit irksome to someone like me, because I'm really, really particular about that kind of stuff. Like, sometimes you can't tell if he's saying or thinking stuff because he speaks to himself often, so that's annoying. But aside from the formatting stuff, the picture I get of him is basically this super chill, helpful guy that wants to help others and doesn't really get into conflicts, which is cool and all, but I think the chill factor is taken a bit too high? Like, Sharon steals his weapons from behind his back, and his only response is basically 'Oh yeah that's a thing she did, can't blame her,' and I find that just a bit too unrealistic.

This chill factor of his also causes him to recede into the background of pretty much every thread he's in, which poses major, major problems for him because he's one of the characters in the M U L T I S H O T.

In the almost 15,000 words that multishot is made of, Cyrus is only mentioned ten times (the least out of any character in there), and he only has two posts in all that madness (fun fact: the multishot was literally a thread compressed into a few posts, so if you see a paragraph or so dealing with what X thought, that was written by the handler of X)', short ones at that, in the entire thread. And they're only short bits that deal with him refusing Oreos and running from the danger zone, plus a short bit about him leaving behind Bella and Ian. Interesting, sure, but barely relevant to everything happening in the escape.

I skip to his death because it's actually somewhat interesting? Basically, the collars explode and Cyrus is like 'I could've played and avoided dying like this' before he dies. Throughout his narrative, there have been hints of some sort of selfishness lying underneath, some cold pragmatism underneath his altruistic nature. In his first thread, he mentions that the first day deaths were necessary for them to live, and then he continues to make weapons even as his moral side revolts against this. This is pretty interesting, and something that could've been explored a lot more in his narrative.

As it is though, Cyrus was a quiet, background character that got absolutely swallowed in the escape group's narrative, leaving little of him to be read.

I'll take a rest from the read-a-thon for now.
Edited by Maraoone, Jul 7 2017, 05:00 AM.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
I'll have a go at this again!
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply