Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V5 Read-A-Thon; Lets goooo for it
Topic Started: Apr 2 2017, 10:02 PM (5,570 Views)
Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I would like a character please!
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kaitlyn is the kinda character that makes me kinda wary in-profile. Aloof from peers for the most part, skilled in some particular form of combat, atypically good writer...it's a type that kinda screams "pre-made player insert" at places. I'm glad to see that Kaitlyn doesn't immediately fall into that trap, though it's interesting that she seems to know Alda and Dan right off the bat; granted, they fall into her peer group, but I don't think the whole "being separate from her peers" thing does anything for her as a character or carries over into her game very well, and honestly feels a little bit like the hedging we do sometimes(and that I'm certainly guilty of myself) when we're not really sure we're gonna get a lot of pre-game planning and relationships in or retcon those relationships in during play. It's a safe move and one that we do a lot so it might feel like I'm harping on it, but I feel it does a big disservice to her voice which overall makes a strong social impact in these first few posts. She doesn't seem separate or alienated from her peers, she seems to handle them quite well, and I think that's something folks should bear in mind when they're writing in that sort of security clause.

Kaitlyn jives as the most reasonable person in her first scene trying to get everyone running together and it works really well for her as a character. Alda and Dan are frustrating, but she handles those frustrations fairly smoothly and despite being described as drug-addled and stressed out seems to have a rational grasp on the situation. There's an emphasis on restraint that I appreciate that ends up shining through in the thematic structure as well; AC puts together some big, flowing posts with lots of descriptors and such that paint a very nice area, but is also able to punch things up for dramatic timing like in the smooth DZ exit of Midnight Dreary. It's a good style that I really enjoy looking through. I think her death ends up being a little too rushed there at the end and we lose some of that voice, but man, can I talk about how much I fucking love that Kaitlyn is the one who is calm and leading in her death rather than Miranda? That's just a good dynamic and I wanted more of it, but I am fangirling a lot over the fact that Kaitlyn is the one who tells her to end it, and despite being physically totally out of control for the entirety of their brief fight she has maintained total, accidental emotional/mental control over the flow of the fight. It's pretty fantastic, my only complaint is that we don't get more of it with more meat on the bones.

Would definitely recommend Kaitlyn. She's short, she interacts with some cool cats, and other than some quibbles with things that mostly feel like OOC rushing/uncertainty she's pretty solid. Hit me with another, please!
SotF Characters

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I critiqued Ian three years ago when the game was still going on and my thoughts on his play up to that point have remained pretty much unchanged.

He gets a lot better around Blown Off Course and I think he and Bella have a good dynamic up to that point. His best thread is pretty unquestionably Mata Leao in my opinion, the fight and death with Paulo are great on both ends. I don't feel his chemistry with Juhan and Takeshi was as strong as his with Bella, though, and their threads drag a little bit due to trying to find that vibe again.

Not gonna comment on Glass since I don't think I can really come at it unbiased due to my own involvement and how heavily invested I am in Higu!Bella.

Another please!
SotF Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply