Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V5 Read-A-Thon; Lets goooo for it
Topic Started: Apr 2 2017, 10:02 PM (6,080 Views)
Randomness
Member Avatar
Is in some state of existence
[ *  *  *  * ]
Throw me a dead kid.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

It's the Grand Map of Doom! v6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mallory is a character that it's kinda hard for me to talk objectively about since Stephanie was with her for 80% of her island threads. I was done waaaaaaaay earlier and then I just let this review sit because I'm a terrible person like that. I didn't read her pregame but hopefully that doesn't really change this read.

Mallory has the absolutely fun habit of saying exactly what's on her mind. Her first meeting with Adonis was a fun scene, with an interesting mix of tension from her inability to let up on Adonis, before it transitions from awkward meeting to a holdup by Hansel.

Medic continually shows that Mallory isn't dumb, she bails her and Adonis out of trouble, she comes up with a nice message passing plan and yet, there's a selfishness underlying it all. I see a little bit of difficulty in accomodating other people and their plans in the way she reacts to things, she comes up with her own plans and she sticks to them like it or not, even though she tends to regret them not long after.

The dynamic between Stephanie and Mallory holds up fine, I think, Stephanie always struggling to keep up with Mallory's infinite depth of energy, in a kind of fun way, and Stephanie is accomodating to her impulses that leads to an interesting dynamic between the pair.

The scene with Brian, Zubin and escape talk was another strong scene, Mallory already wanting to leave the group to pursue the tennis and pillow fort plan.

The most important spoiler in this review: Mallory succeeds in making a pillow fort.

There's a nice attention to detail in the death scene, the collar beep from hiding in the fort was something I wouldn't have thought of. Hansel is still mad over the fact that she threw a waterbottle at him day one, and somehow she still manages to talk back at him, despite the gun. She's still putting up a front to the very end, her own personal pride coming before anything. Her plans are still at the forefront of her thoughts, her last

I think Mallory could have done with a little more insight into her mind at some points, but all in all, Mallory is a strong read, not just a simple comic relief character but one who was a little self-centered and mostly cared about personal gratification, both traits that would eventually lead to her death. It's a strong and largely closed arc, where her mistakes flow cleanly from her characterisation, and it all leads up to a strong pay off.
Edited by Randomness, Aug 20 2017, 10:41 AM.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
You know what? Toss me another one.

Those no longer with us

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply