Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V5 Read-A-Thon; Lets goooo for it
Topic Started: Apr 2 2017, 10:02 PM (5,565 Views)
Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh. My. Gosh. After dealing with kids who are, at worst, well-meaning, I finally get an honest to goodness, no ambiguity, clear as day, grade A jerkwad! This is the best moment of my life!

Ahem. So...Miles Strickland. Right from the get-go, you can tell that he's going to be a real treat to work with. Upon entering a locker room, he reflects to himself:

Quote:

"Ugh. Smells like poor people."

Charming. And it kinda goes from there. I respect Cake's ability to make Miles seem real while also making him extremely vile. His high and mighty attitude is tempered with enough friendly moments to show that he's not some Chaotic Evil ignoramus doing bad things for the heck of it. Instead, he's a little politician, dissing folks when he can get away with it and otherwise exuding a kind of slimy chumminess that makes your skin crawl. It's to the point where his prom invitation, important and awkward affairs for Garrett and Maynard, was just him trying to win a pick-up contest. With every smug line or haughty gesture, he makes it more and more obvious that he's setting himself up for a fall, and it's going to be great!

That being said, Miles' last threads are kinda just him popping into other students' vignettes. He enters, says a line or two, then pops right back out. It's a shame that Cake went with that approach, since it means that he had a somewhat limited interaction with other students in the pre-game. But at least we got enough to get a picture of who he is and where he's going. Probably somewhere unpleasant.

Sure enough, first thing he does on the island is lord himself over a flock of seagulls. He meets some people and starts schmoozing them like a good politician would. He's no frenzied, mad killer. He's a thinking man, one that knows to keep your enemies closer and all that. To that end, he starts practicing with his weapon, the Hunga Munga throwing axe, only to be distracted by the appearance of Stacy Ramsey. The axe goes wild and finds a new home in Chuck Soileau's throat, Kat Tolstoff stabs him in retaliation, and just like that, any hopes of being political have gone out the window. I found that an interesting direction to go, because with his credentials, Miles could have been a schemer and alliance-builder, but instead, he's injured and on the run, albeit with Stacy's help.

One nice thing about being injured though, it's really easy to gain sympathy, so Miles meets with a group that mends him up, and he's back in action, more or less. For what it's worth, Miles' friendliness has paid off for him thus far, and he has the presence of mind not to curse out his benefactors out loud when they plan to leave him where he is while they go out. It's one of the first occasions where I've seen that happen, where a simple offense ISN'T blown up into a giant grievance, and I respect Cake for averting that. In fact, when Joe Carrasco wants revenge for Chuck, Miles doesn't fight and instead succeeds in talking him down and getting him to leave. Miles' tongue has been as useful a weapon for him as his blade, and it's quite remarkable to see. He's still a jerk, but he knows to dial that back when he needs to.

Of course, that being said, he's still human, as shown when he finally loses his composure with Rachael Langdon. Maybe it's the fact that people have been constantly trying to kill him because of an accident, or that he's been having to deal with difficult people for days, but when Rachael breaks down in apathy, that's when he finally storms out in a temper, Stacy following along.

Unfortunately, this is the end of Miles' story. He goes inactive at this point and he's picked up by SOTF_Help. He engages in a brief deathmatch with Andi Victorino that leaves both of them dead, and that's that. Which is a shame, because I found myself enjoying the guy's tale. He wasn't a likable person, what with being haughty and arrogant, but when you consider that everything that happened to him wasn't actually his fault, his attempts to rally from his mistake and try to survive are a very fun read. Unlike Maynard, who was lovable but had an absolutely horrendous journey, this guy was entertaining from start to finish.

May I have one more?
V7 Kids
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rugga - Ian Valmont - V5 Start
Blast - Aria Samuels - V5 Start

v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
Aria's a bit hard to talk about in the pregame because Aria's a bit hard to talk to, period. He's got some serious nervousness combined with a tendency to overanalyze everything and say things that he immediately regrets. In effect, conversations are rather slow-going because it's a struggle for him to say anything. Not to mention all the cringe. Because of this, I found it difficult to pin down whether or not he actually made any significant relationships during pre-game, and I was curious to see how this guy's inability to express himself would manifest on the island.

Well, unfortunately, Aria's overanalysis manifests itself in an immediate distrust of anybody and everybody. Though perhaps it's not completely unfounded, since the two girls he meets to begin with immediately start hatching a scheme to ditch him if anything goes wrong. But what that means is that he's alone on the island, and there are only two threads left to go. Not looking good for his chances.

And that right now is the clincher for poor old Aria. Even as he meekly makes a couple new friends, it's fairly evident that time is running out, and so, as he settles into his new alliance, suddenly out of nowhere, he goes hysterical at them, and a short confrontation ensues in which a knife finds its way into his chest. It really feels like it comes out of nowhere, and I can see why jimmydalad had trepidations about me reading this one. As I said, because of Aria's social anxiety, he doesn't make significant contributions to the plot, and because his death feels fairly rushed, it doesn't make a huge impact either. It's not bad, per se, just kind of "Eh." Which, depending on your perspective, might perhaps be worse.

Keep 'em coming!
V7 Kids

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have difficulties with Ruby Forrester.

I will say that, from pre-game to the earliest bits of V5, I was a definite fan of Ruby, and I'll try to explain why as I discuss my issues with her overall. From her profile, I would guess that Ruby was created as a product of the setting, Seattle, as she does feel like an archetypal image of someone from there. She heavily skews towards to the left side of politics and has a passed-down interest of alt and grunge rock music, and generally is an outspoken individual with a lot to say. This, along with a couple other things like her orientation and appearance, does make her slide in pretty natural for the time (not that she'd be out of place in v6 or v7, mind). I feel Fiori already had a concrete idea of what he wanted Ruby to be from the start, and I'll use this little excerpt from said profile here:

Quote:

upon reaching 11th grade she has began work on a novel which she has personally described as being a dark neo-noir murder mystery set during an alternate version of the 1970's with vampires.

I fell that shows a lot about Ruby just from implication, and I find that endearing. However, I will also note that a lot of problems with Ruby start with her profile, namely the latter half of her biography. About 4 paragraphs are dedicated to the relationship between Ruby and another character, Brian Zhandovich, which detail their friendship, dating period, and eventual break-up and reconciliation due to Ruby being a lesbian. The tricky dagger in this is largely the fact that Ruby and Brian are both written by Fiori, and this causes a lot of writing flubs down the line.

To start with, the entirety of Ruby's and Brian's memories section revolves around recounting their history together mentioned in their profiles, starting shortly before Ruby realizes she's gay. In light of this, a big misstep here is that we barely learn anything new here that wasn't already mentioned in one of the other's profiles, as we already know the eventual outcome of the situation. So retreading these events in 5 different episodes of rather dense pieces of text is pretty taxing. Which isn't to say there isn't anything of value here, and unsurprisingly, these come from places not laid out in the profile. I enjoyed the fact Ruby is exactly the type of person to write out her neo-noir vampire novel in a Chinese restaurant, because a coffee shop would be too obvious, clearly.

Quote:

"To say that Ruby could be a somewhat critical person at times would be something of an understatement, and nowhere was this more true than when it came to her own work. To Ruby, what sounded like a cool and scary scene in her head just looked cliche and downright terrible on paper."

Writing about a writer having writing problems in a writing forum? You're alright, Fiori.

Unfortunately, these little glimpses of Ruby outside the context of this very narrowed layout we're given are very few and far between. Instead, the primary focus here it the melodrama that happens between Brian and Ruby that leads to their ensuing break-up, which establishes the dynamic they share pretty clearly - and it plays entirely to Ruby's favor. While Fiori doesn't go out of his way to make Brian the bad guy in situation, but it is obvious his problems are only secondary to how Ruby is affected by his cheating, and how her coming to terms with her sexuality is more challenging to deal with then his - at, least that's how it is portrayed in the narrative, implicitly. Anytime Brian gets his turn in the narrative, it will almost always find a way to make the after effect more important for Ruby to be play with, all so she can reap the benefits of their interaction. Which is not to mention the fact that Ruby's lack of affection for Brian is not portrayed as large as a problem as it should be, which is signs of things to come.

To little surprise, in pre-game proper, Ruby's best thread is the one where she's put outside comfort zone and interacts with characters she's not already familiar with. Besides being an interesting example of where there is an equal amount of kids who went into V5 and those who didn't, Ruby does get to show both her rash and rational sides when having to deal with a bully in her store, and not exactly come out the winner in this scenario. This mostly applies to the first half of the thread, as the second half (and later the rest of her pre-game, which includes one other thread and prom) is devoted to expanding between her relationship between her and her girlfriend, Regan Flagg.

And, if you're wondering if Regan Flagg's name is partly based on Stephen King's character Randall Flagg, the answer is probably. *

Anyway, Regan wasn't able to come onto the island due to OOC reasons involving her handler, and this is actually pretty important to Ruby's potential plotline. The impact, however is not entirely negative, and could easily be argued as a positive - Regan was pretty equal in comparison to Brian in terms of how tightly they wrapped around Ruby's character, and this really makes her feel isolated as a whole. Especially when it is evident that there was a whole lot of planning done between the two writers.

This opens up a lot of opportunities for Ruby in-game, and she meets a lot of colorful characters throughout the game. Ruby gets a good head start in V5, and her ideals are quickly thrown shaken up as soon as SOTF gets right up in her face. In the thread where Ruby reacts to Miranda killing someone just outside the building she is in, she feels like she needs to take charge of the situation and do something about. It flies back into her face in a really neat way.

Having never fired a gun in her life, Ruby actually ends up causing more damage to herself then the person she was shooting at, and generally suffers more for it mentally as well. Not only has she betrayed her ideals concerning violence, she also did so without really thinking about it, something that's suppose to be one of her stronger traits. And after the fact, she's only left to reflect what she has done, and what that really means to her. I also just want to highlight this part from the same thread, which isn't entirely character related, but does show something really neat:

Quote:

Lets see... Five clips. Fifty bullets each, so thats about two-hundred and fifty overall. Have to make sure these count.

I predict this little moment here is from Fiori's history with V4, especially with how ammo was done back in those days. I just thought it was a nice little piece of history, and a little extra to how Ruby's handling of her firearm in this instance. So yeah, it's largely a good thread.

Unfortunately, Ruby and Brian meet up in the one right after, and Brian dies after that one. Mostly because Ruby had reacted irrationally again and aggressively threatened someone else with her firearm, and Brian died trying to save her. This is where Ruby's flaws come full circle. Brian, even in his death, is made to validate Ruby's decisions up to this point and give her another push to centralize her as the protagonist in her own story. It's really weird and it the biggest example of Ruby's main problem: The narrative does not truly ever work outside of her own headspace.

It's rather odd that with the odd characters she comes across (Ami, Gavin, Zubin, and Sean), who all have some semblance of being in their own world and largely make note of that fact (even implicitly), the writing around Ruby tries really hard to paint her as main character-esque who's only reacting to the events around her when that's not really how things are. Ruby, despite having injured herself and getting her best friend killed for her actions, immediate reactions is to point her gun at whoever she perceives to be a threat at the time, sometimes even leading to even more deaths. While these actions are somewhat acknowledged as her own fault, they tend to be often downplayed when all is said and done, especially considering the death's of Brian and Sara. While is she far from being the most morally bankrupt person on the island, her selfish actions aren't properly called into question, nor is there any real attempt to develop and change.

After Sara dies in the ship scene, Ruby's storyline gets kinda wonky when it comes to pacing, though this is probably coming from real-life stuff, so I'm not gonna harp about it. It does leave her feeling displaced a lot after that, where days go by and she makes it to the top 20, but it doesn't really feel like it. I'd also partly blame the crash, as I do with many things when it comes to V5, but that's neither here or there.

Ultimately though, around the late part of her story, Ruby has remained stagnant. At this point she has killed someone, but still is very judgemental about other people who have killed like Joe Carrasco, which just comes off as plain hypocritical without any further justification. And when it comes to have her finally die, at the hand of the first friend she made on the island, she pulls out this little nugget:

Quote:

"No, I don't know what you've been through the past few days, but what I do know is that several days ago I saw the boy I lost my virginity to die right before my very eyes. That's not the kind of shit you can shrug off easily."

This is a rather quizzical piece, and I feel it shows a big detachment between a writer and their character - not just in the present state, but as a whole. The fact that Ruby lost her virginity to Brian is the strangest thing to emphasize a sentence that should be a defining statement. There are multiple options that could have been used in place of that (her best friend for several years, one of the few people who knows her deepest secret, the person who literally died taking a bullet for her). And, comparatively to most people still alive at this point, Ruby has shrugged off the more messed up events that have transpired thus far and she has an active hand in. Even as she's dying, It feels like I'm being led to believe it's been Ruby against the world this whole time, when in reality she's her own worst enemy.

When it comes to Ruby, I can't really tell what is trying to be convinced the most - the reader or the writing? Majority of the time it feels like both, and the lines can get murky. I feel Ruby always had a really good outline for a character, but suffered from never wanting to draw outside those lines.

TL:DR

Oh so close, yet oh so very, very far.

D-

-----

From Ruby's interaction with Gavin:

Quote:

"Sounds to me like the only reason you want us to be your friends is so that you can have your own pair of personal bodyguards you could toss aside the moment you no longer need them."

Quote:

"But how am I meant to know that you won't leave me for dead the moment you get the chance, just so you could get your hands on the gun you've been coveting since the moment we met? Useful ally or not, I cannot take that risk."

RULE 63 RANDALL FLAG GAVE RUBY PSYCHIC FUTURE POWERS WITH GAY MAKEOUT SESSIONS AND SHE COULD HAVE STOPPED THE MATRIX FAIRIES IF SHE SHOT GAVIN RIGHT THEN AND THERE.

(I'll take a break for a little bit~)
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Blast - Kathryn Nguyen - V5 Start

Edited by D/N, Oct 1 2017, 02:30 PM.
v6!
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-

v4!

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hey, a softball girl! I've been told that V5 was a real hub for softball players, so I suppose that I was going to get one eventually. True to being a sports person, one thing we immediately see from Kathryn's pregame is that she's competitive and strict. In her first thread with the softball team, she chews out Andi Victorino for her attitude while helping to arrange a batting practice order. Her harshness shines through the most in her pregame threads, and it seems like the sort of thing that wouldn't get her a lot of friends, but the island is a different kettle of fish than a softball team.

Sure enough, she actually takes a friendly tack when she hits the island, chumming it up with James Wade and acting casual and jovial. It's kind of a departure from the sharp-tongued lady she was in pregame. Matter of fact, when she finds a fellow student who was given a Clue game box, she proposes sitting down and playing a game with a couple other folks who waltz in. And they do. While everyone else is freaking out or in varying stages of panic, there's this group of four students who decide Day 1 that they're going to play a board game all day. A bit weird.

It's at this point that Kathryn reunites with a couple of her softball teammates, Alda Abbate and Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer, and they form a tight-knit alliance of sorts. Kathryn sometimes speaks up in conversations, but she rarely takes the lead, and as a result, it's hard to see in this period of the game where her contribution truly lies. It's often just Alda and Iselle working off one another, with Kathryn observing. Then Alda kills someone in front of her, and she finally steps up to deliver a point, throwing a baseball over Iselle's shoulder in the process.

What transpires is so stupid, I want to stop and just focus on it for a second. That baseball? The one that goes sailing over Iselle's shoulder? It kills someone. Seriously. Carlos Lazaro just materializes from the ether to take a fastball to the cranium, and he drops like a stone. It happens so far offscreen, Kathryn doesn't even notice, and she falls asleep, just in time for ANOTHER stupid death to occur when she has her gun out while she's sleeping. Iselle bursts into the room and Kathryn fires on reflex, killing her too.

I guess we're just lucky that Kathryn didn't accidentally choke someone with a Clue game piece.

But wait a moment, that's all of Kathryn's listed kills, and we've still got five threads to go. What else does she get up to in that time? Well, there's a brief confrontation with Virgil Jefferson-Davis, a quick nap, then she gets herself attached to another group, where she mostly just follows again. There's an entire gunfight that occurs in front of her, and she merely stands and watches. Then her group turns on itself, and she stands and watches. Then she leaves.

Finally, we have her death scene, where she finds Matt Vartoogian and they get into a wordless gun battle of three-line posts each before she gets cornered and dies. After her opening island thread where she manages to have a fun peaceful scene, it's just really unfortunate that her story ends on such a flat and emotionless note. For someone who made it so close to the end, Kathryn was seriously kind of a non-entity in the long run. There's nothing wrong with being a sidekick in someone else's story, but if you're going to do that, you need to own the part. Build people up and be a good foil to them. I don't think she managed it.

More, please!
V7 Kids

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Blast - Steven Salazar - V5 Start
v6!

v5!

v4!

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I remembered liking Rosemary a lot back when I was a newbie in V5 and I'm pretty pleased to say that she holds up very well a few years down the line, enough for me to really regret that MrMrsMissRandom didn't make it into V6 with the improvement they saw with Rosemary under their belt.

wall of text incoming

All in all, Rosemary was very good. The technical issues with MrMrsMissRandom's writing get better as the story goes along, and throughout her misadventures Rosemary remains a generally good person, struggling to find a reason to keep going. She feels very real and human with her allergies and her getting upset over being rejected by a boy, and even the moments where I'm skeptical of the logic going on I can smooth over with the excuse that people make dumb mistakes. Rosemary always pays for her mistakes too, which makes them a lot easier to roll with than if she was blundering all over with no consequence. I really recommend Rosemary for those who haven't read her, and I'm very happy that she holds up so well compared to how I remembered her.

I'll take another.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
backslash - Sunny Lee - V5 Start
v6!

v5!

v4!

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello, I decided to take a break from the V1 read o thon do to this.

So Ian's profile is that of a fairly normal teenager with some interests. The most important ones are graffiti and old movies. It says he's really calm and gets along well with people. Not much of note. Onward.

He only has one pregame thread. Ian comes to the park and spray paints a cat on a wall. Pretty much everyone ignores this act. He goes and speaks to Arthur, Miranda, Kathryn and Joshua who never made it to game. I made an executive decision to skip/skim any Joshua posts over 1,000 words long because the kids are just talking in a park. Sorry, Nic.

Honestly, the ones I remember the most from this sequence are Miranda and Arthur. They steal the show character-wise. Ian is there and ends up going to breakfast with Joshua, Arthur and Kathryn. He tells some jokes that I don't think are funny, but seem like the kind of thing a teenager would say so it makes sense. Forward ho.

Ian wakes up on the island for the second time. He woke up once, decided that there was no point in getting up if he didnt know where he was going to go, and went back to sleep. I think he's sleeping partly in a shallow pool of sea water since his pants are wet, so he could have moved a little.

In due time James and Kathryn appear and shortly after Venice and Amy. James has a Clue board game for a weapon and the crew proceeds to spend one and a half pages just talking about Clue. James has never heard of Clue until now and Amy is getting more concerned about like, the death island thing.

As we go on it becomes clear that Ian feels nothing about being on this island. He just plain doesn't give a shit.

Ian

"You're all freaked about staying alive but there's no one in this immediate area who's going to kill us, and if there was, we'd be toast already, yeah?" Ian crossed his legs and sat on the ground in a firm, if foolish, decision. " Oh I don't know, someone with legs could walk up and kill you but what are the odds amirite?

He does casually think that maybe he might kill people later though?
Ian

"Sup Kat? I mean," he shrugged a bit sheepishly, "besides the obvious, I guess." He scratched the back of his neck, wondering why this whole thing felt so awkward. Ian wasn't terrible at the whole making-new-friends thing, and these weren't even new people just -- new circumstances, really. Awkward new circumstances. Ian wasn't going to kill anyone, he knew that much. There was no way he had the stomach for it. I might get desperate enough entered his mind, and he shooed it away

For awhile I thought he was just fronting about not caring about the situation but apparently that's not the case?

Ian

It wasn't like he was in denial, or anything. Denial was pointless and ridiculous. There wasn't anyone who was going to rescue them, and there wasn't any way of stopping people from killing, so far as Ian could see. It was kill or be killed -- and Ian had cherry bombs, and James had Clue. What are you gonna do, someone comes and points a gun at you, shoots you in the head? There's nothing you can do.

Well they play some games of Clue and then finally sleep. When they wake up in the morning Ian finds that he's still not concerned and even after hearing the list of the dead he doesn't feel anything for any of them either, just mildly glad he's not on the list.

Then people go their separate ways. Shout out to James who is my favorite character in this scene, exasperated by the Clue talk and worried and paranoid in a charming way. He at one point kind of hopes a killer comes in just to interrupt the endless Clue talk.

I feel alienated from Ian at this point because it is difficult for me to care about someone who does not care. Even if you have decided that it is pointless and you should just focus on having a good time before you die, I don't think it's possible to completely forget about your circumstances and that would still poke in now and then.

Next thread is a one shot. Ian decides he'll go at it alone and seems to be slightly more paranoid than before which is an emotion.

Next thread he comes across Tyler, he of the flicker eyes, Cass and Alex. These three are FIGHTING. Alex is trying to come up with an escape plan and Tyler is calling her a dumb bitch and Alex isn't helping. Ian decides to walk up and sit near them, but he's mostly ignored. He's getting more and more paranoid because he's been alone for three days, snaps and yells at them

Ian

"You kill this early and people will call you on it! They'll hunt you!" He had no idea where the words were coming from, could follow no straight line of thought. "You gotta wait till there's no other option, that's the only safe way to do things!"

So I guess he's cool with killing now as long as it's near the end. Bit of a leap. I do see how isolation for two days could start to change his way of thinking, but we didn't get to see that happen so I'm not clear on how he got from Point A "Who cares what happens" to Point C "Kill people when we're closer to the end." More than 1 post where he's alone may have helped here.

They continue to largely ignore him so he leaves.

At this point Ian had gone inactive. He was then adopted out to someone, but was immediately rolled, so SOTFHelp took over. It's not a bad death, really. Stephanie point a gun at him and he rushes her. He beats her to death with the gun, but he's been shot in the knee which makes it so he can't escape in time when the place becomes a danger zone. I like the gruesome part where he tries to use the gun as a crutch to escape the zone, but falls short.

Final thoughts: Ian had a perfectly fine base and not much pregame so I didn't really get a good sense of who he was. Going into the island I was put off by how nonchalant he was about the whole affair. I think the idea of someone going paranoid and mad from isolation isn't a bad one, but there needed to be more transition and time. He's also hindered by the fact that besides his first thread he has no one to play off, being alone or mostly ignored.

Another.

things

Kermit
Member Avatar
i'm the worst
[ *  *  *  * ]
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAKING A BREAK FROM V1!

P I P P I N
I
P
P
I
N

henlo

PROFILE:
Francis is like, a normal looking dude and stuff. He’s described as very skinny but he’s not as skinny as me and I AM OFFENDED :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((! he wears rich preppyman clothes except for his belt which is a superman belt HAH NEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD!

BAM V5 LAWYER PARENTS!

Francis doesn’t like Harry Potter. Francis likes Manchester United, though. Francis became a grumpygoo also

Pregame:

ThreadJuan: Francis h8888888888s his “friends” but not his friends. Some lady named Kaliska pops up and she’s like “wow ur having a shit day m8” and Francis is like “yes.” AND THEN HE PUNCHES A LOCKER IN THE FACE BECAUSE HE IS A N G E R Y! He’s like “woah srry” and complains a bunch about how his “friends” are all dickheads but he’s been “friends” with them for a while and he’s like “welp” about it. They talk about college and then everyone leaves. THE END! Overall, a pretty good thread. Serves well to establish Francis’ character.

And then Kermit procrastinated for like a month…

TLDR;

Quote:

Werepuppyn - Today at 4:43 PM
"francis fell down the stairs and landed in a puddle of delicious cream of mushroom soup"

Quote:

KLOUJI GINSENSHIHSNESNIG IJUOLK - Today at 4:45 PM
and then francis got eaten by a soup monster

Quote:

Werepuppyn - Today at 4:46 PM
and that soup monster...... was KERMIT HIMSELF

THE END!

Conclusion: yeah he was pretty good i guess. also tasty. would recommend both reading and eating him.
Ravioli Marill - Today at 9:49 AM
(Mariavel is Kermit)

Some people that might be in V7 (or not):

Michael Froese: "Is it bad that I hope today's the day Richard finally fucking snaps, brings a gun to school, and shoots me in the head? Because I really can't deal with this shit anymore."

Valerija Bogdanovic: "If we as a society continue using words like "cuck" or "Reagan fetishist" to describe those who's political views differ from our own, we will accomplish nothing. Alienating each other will just lead to further division. If I were to insult you straight to your face, it's not like you'd hold my opinion with any merit."

Maxwell Fenster: "Okay then."

V1 sprites!

mini stuff!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Wow look here's a big ol' spotify playlist, listen to it (only if u want im not ur boss)!

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
Been a while. I'd like another kid.
~~~~~ Sadly CBP looked at a SOTF character. It was so sad... such a sad character... like him... he only waned a normal life... was that too much to ask? was it?

NOW: V7

SOON: V7

DEAD: V6

MAYBE: V?

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh boy, three kids to give away~

Rugga - Sophie McDowell - V5 Start
Kermit - Meera Stele - V5 Start
CBP - Joachim Lovelace - V5 Start
v6!

v5!

v4!

Catche Jagger
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
The list on the first post seems to imply that there's still kids to give out in this one? If so, I'll take one.
V7 Characters

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Emily has one of the longer profiles from V5 that goes through a fair number of things. Her inferiority complex in regards to her older sister who her parents prefer and constantly compare her to, or that she's a lesbian desperate not to let the fact come out in any way. Even going on dates with boys to prove she wasn't lesbian and severing ties with a girl friend who wanted to be more than friends. Her profile goes into heavy details on this and it is a good foundation for a character, but it doesn't come up a lot. As I read her, only in her second thread did she mention it at all. Otherwise she's an athletic girl with an interest for listening to and performing music, and a hidden fondness for roleplaying games.

In pregame she doesn't get to do much, she's kind of periphery in her first thread, in and out in two posts. She does more in her second thread, getting into a shouting match with Alex King after Alex gets mad on her and Mallory because of their soccer game. This is the thread that goes into stuff that was in her profile (familial issues) if only briefly and is the more interesting out of the two.

Reading Emily, it comes to me that her handler must be british because for some reason Emily tends to say some british isms like arse or yer despite being american. Although it's mainly in regards to her pregame, it's gone by the time V5 starts proper.

Writing wise it's rather mediocre. In particular her dialogue tends to lack punctuation, and words being capped after commas. Outside of it, it's written better. Though she has a tendency to repeat stuff internally, particualrly when V5 starts proper.

Emily doesn't really get the chance to do much, her first thread is a one shot that's mainly to establish her goal of make an alliance and have protection around her. And take advantage of the area around her (A playground) which is always neat to see someone have their character do. after this she moves to a thread already in progress at the beach, featuring Matthew Young and Rutherford Roger Jr. At first she ignores them to lie down at the beach which is rather odd considering her demeanour up to this point and it doesn't help that right afterwards she decides to introduce herself to them under the assumption no one would play that early.

And this is her last post. Due to inactivity, the two boys leave the thread and Emily behind. A while later staff scoops her up and she leaves as well.

Controlled by staff. Emily is now partnered with Harry Hanley as they stake out the woods for Max Sawyer. The post is mostly from Harry's POV so Emily doesn't get much to say or do. It isn't said when or how they teamed up and we learn more about harry's cahracter and what he's done than her. It doesn't that out of all the characters in the thread, she's very quickly taken out by Max when they attempt to suprise him.

Emily Rose is a farily short read. Clocking in at about five threads if one counts pregame. If not she's at three and she goes inactive in her second a few posts in and is inactive killed her third. Because of this there's not much to her unfortunatly so I can't really recommend her. Shame really as there is a foundation for a good character here, she has an extensive profile that goes in depth to her hobbies and her issues and I think if they were properly tapped she could have done much more.

Another please.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply