Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We Are Monsters; Day 7; before the announcements (Open!)
Topic Started: Apr 2 2017, 05:45 PM (629 Views)
Brackie
Member Avatar
i love him, i love him, i love him, i love him
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Maxim Kehlenbrink continued from The Wicked Die Alone))

They had not found Lili. They had not found Ben. They had not found Fiyori. And they had not found Alba.

The previous day had just been like any other, except he had Brendan with him. They hid, they waited, they moved on. The company had kept his spirits up, all things considered. After days of solitude and being trapped with nothing but his thoughts, it was good to be able to vocalize his worries to someone who would listen again. He did, of course, but he didn't vocalize the one main worry - that being the ask of what the point of it all was.

Brendan thought very short-term. Maxim thought quite a bit further than that. Not to the inevitability of the endgame, but to a point that was essentially there. What was going to happen if they did find Lili, and Ben, and Fiyori and Alba, but they were the only ones left? Did Brendan have a plan for that? Were they going to use that time to escape somehow, even though the very idea was implausible to the point of non-existence? Was he going to turn on them, what with his impressive personal arsenal compared to Maxim's measly hammer and bow? Maxim didn't think him for that kind of person, but then again he hadn't even asked why two people were dead because of him and what exactly that meant. Now that was foolish of him.

Another morning rose upon them, and suddenly the announcements joined them again. The names were read off, and once again nobody they knew was above the dead. This being the first time he'd paid proper attention to them, however, three names did come to mind.

Kaitlyn Greene was killed by Alba Reyes. This was to be the exact same Alba Reyes the two of them, previously three of them, were looking for.

Isabel Ramirez was dead. Even to someone who had been paying infrequent attention to the announcements like Maxim, that name registered for the sheer volume of repetition. It was a team of no less than three people who took her down.

And one of those people was Fiyori Senay. She had been one of the killers of Isabel.

Once it was confirmed that they would not have to flee their location, and the speakers gave their final sendoff, Maxim turned to Brendan.

"Well...I'm not sure what you think of that, but I...at least they are not on the other side of things?"

It wasn't much of a comfort and Maxim knew it, but he said it anyway. Their names still weighed heavy on Maxim's mind. Was that the inevitability that everyone faced?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I can't sing but I wrote you a song

Wrong notes but the melody's so clear

When I'm lost, I'm still close to gold

cause I found my treasure in you
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brackie
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The question happened so suddenly that Maxim had no time to think of a response. Or more accurately, Maxim had no time to think of a convincing lie.

He could have just told Brendan what he really thought. That at some point, one or both of them was going to be dead. But even Maxim could tell there was an unhealthy amount of fear in Brendan's voice, and as much as Maxim wanted to live at this point he didn't want to be responsible for Brendan's emotional upheaval. He didn't know at this point who it was for - Brendan, or himself?

The other option was a lie, but Maxim wasn't a good liar, unless he fully believed what he was saying. And he wasn't planning six moves ahead for this exact moment, not that it was something he did in his regular day-to-day life, far from it, so someone who wasn't good at all with people like Maxim was would never have been able to make something convincing, especially at such short notice.

"I...uh..."

Maxim stuttered out the beginning of a sentence that didn't actually exist. He shouldn't have said anything, but what else was he going to do? Stand around thinking about what to say for even longer, in which he might just have told the truth anyway?

He was panicking. But before he could stutter out something else to make Brendan suspicious, he tried a redirection. It was a redirection to a conversation for which Maxim already feasibly knew the outcome, but what else could he do?

"I think...I think I want to know what you meant yesterday. When you said two people were dead because of you."

Brackie
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It shouldn't have been like this. They should have hid. They shouldn't have gone out in the open, like Brendan wanted. But now there were people, people Maxim didn't know, people Maxim didn't care about. And there were consequences.

The first to show up was a girl who looked positively deranged. She had been the one to interrupt Maxim's counter-conversation with Brendan and now he was concerned with her when he shouldn't be. It was one of Brendan's faults when it shouldn't be, especially in a situation like this. It was exactly why he'd redirected the conversation in the first place.

But that wasn't even the most frustrating part of this. There was someone else, a girl, someone who Maxim wasn't even sure if Brendan knew or not, watching them. He didn't like this, not anymore. He was fine with this being just between the two of them, but now there was so many people there.

Especially that third one over there that Brendan noticed-

*BANG*

There was no way of telling right now whether it was effective, but it didn't stop Maxim from hitting the ground. They were so close together, the gunshots so loud, Maxim felt like his stomach was in his throat again.

But in a moment, it stopped. The gunshots were gone, and so was the source.

And so was Brendan.

"Brendan? Brendan!" Maxim yelled to a beach empty of Brendan. The only people left were the two girls, and just like the first day Maxim had no reason to stick around with them.

He shouldered his bag and sprinted towards where the other two boys disappeared.

Brendan was not going to die like this.

((Maxim Kehlenbrink continued elsewhere))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Shoreline · Next Topic »
Add Reply