Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Miss Atomic Bomb; 'You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.' (private)
Topic Started: Mar 29 2017, 03:26 AM (723 Views)
Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The lack of progress he was making on this whole “finding his friends” thing was really starting to annoy him at this point.

((Jeremy Frasier, continued from If You Don’t Like What We Say, Try Living Here A Couple Days))

Jeremy had been moving. Through the asylum. He’d been here since he left the bridge and he’d been lurking the hallways and yet everywhere he went he couldn’t seem to find anyone. Friend or foe. Maybe if he’d headed into some more of the rooms he would have found people, but the ones he checked had nobody and the ones he didn’t check had noises he really didn’t like coming out of them. Sure, maybe those rooms actually had the people he was trying to look for, but what did you expect him to think? ‘Oh, there are gunshots and shouts coming from this room maybe I should go check it out but wait no maybe I should actually because maybe it is someone I know in there and fuck I don’t even know at this point just go just and figure it out.’

Point was, he was on the roof now. He’d climbed the stairs thinking that they’d lead him to another floor but as it turned out, no, this was it. There was a brick surface surrounded with a slope which Jeremy presumed would lead to certain death, and there was nothing else above it. Well, there was the sky - grey or purple, Jeremy couldn’t really decide what the colour was supposed to be - the clouds, and probably the wind as well, but he couldn’t reach any of those. No stairs. No ladder. At least he supposed nobody was up there. Unless they were dead and you subscribed to that theory that all the dead people were in the sky. It was a cool one. Meant that this life probably wasn’t the end. Ideally. Hopefully, at the very least.

He didn’t know for sure, though. Maybe there wasn’t a place like that.  It was why these last days were so important. It was why now was so important, and it was why this constant inability to find anyone he was looking for was really starting to get to him.

Point was, he was up here, and he still hadn’t seen anyone.

“Oh, uh…”

Well.

Except for the corpse and the person standing right behind it.

“Hey.”
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The boy turned. Showed Jeremy his face.

Out of all the faces it could have been, it wasn’t one that Jeremy was particularly super happy to see.

Out of all the faces it could have been, though, it wasn’t one that Jeremy would have preferred avoiding, either.

Benjamin Fields was a person. To be more specific, he was a person who happened to be in the same grade as Jeremy. That was where the similarities ended, though. If Jeremy were forced to pick someone in the school who was the total opposite of him, Ben would be a pretty good person to pick (unless there was like, a female version of Ben somewhere in the school who he was drawing a total blank on right now). Dude was sporty, dude probably put schoolwork first, and the dude probably did a lot more than Jeremy did. Homophobia aside, the guy put work in. He’d heard stories by some of the other people he knew about how Ben helped him when someone like Isabel or Michael met them in the halls. Maybe they disagreed on a couple social issues, but Jeremy had to give credit where credit was due, there.

So yeah. Comparatively, not the best person Jeremy could have found, but comparatively, not the worst, either. He’d probably just do the same routine he did with Alba. Ask who he saw. Ask if he’d seen any of the killers, then go off on his merry way. Simple as that.

Well, once he answered Ben’s own questions, of course.

“As close to it that I really can be.”

The bat twirled around slightly, in his left.

“You?”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And there it was.

The name. The memory that it brought now. The realisation that Ben knew what he did. The fury that could be heard under his voice. This was going to be how it was, now. Jeremy knew that. Even though it’d happened the way it did, even though the person on the announcements even said that Jeremy didn’t attack first, he knew that this was how people were going to treat him from now on. Honestly, he was just surprised that it’d taken this long. He’d seen a couple people since it’d happened? Maxim didn’t seem to care, Hazel and Jordan got over it pretty quickly, and Alba didn’t care that much when he’d told her his name.

Really, Ben was the first one to give him the reaction he expected. Ben was the first person to judge him for it. Treat him lesser, now.

And honestly, he couldn’t wait until he was reduced to having to cry when he thought nobody could see him, in distress because he knew that nobody else could understand him.

That part was in due time, though.

Right now he had to explain the full story.

Well, as close to the full story as he could say with ease for himself.

He shrugged.

“It happened as they said it. She attacked me, I decided that I’d fight back.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Huh.

Ben… calmed down. That was a bit of a surprise. Given… he didn’t know, what he imagined the dude was like Jeremy would have imagined that he’d be a little more resilient against what Jeremy was saying. A little more likely to ask questions. More blustering. More confrontational. That kind of thing. It was what Jeremy had heard in regards to Ben in the halls. It was what Jeremy thought everyone in the anti-bullying committee did when nobody was looking. It was probably the only way someone could actually take care of Michael when he was walking around and doing his stuff. Point was: Jeremy expected Ben to argue more. He didn’t.

And really, if that was indicative of how people were going to act towards him in the future, Jeremy would take that.

“I’m gonna be… doing stuff. Finding people. I figure I’m not gonna live much longer, so I better get things done now. Say my last goodbyes.”

A pause.

He may as well just get the next part out of the way.

“And I suppose, for better or worse, I’m gonna do whatever it takes to get that done. Just gonna warn you now.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The feeling of deja vu was all that was present within Jeremy’s mind.

“If anyone poses a threat to me, if anyone poses a threat to one of my friends, I take them out. Simple as that.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Yeah, I know Penelope. Raina, too.”

Penelope Fitzgerald. Raina Rose. Two names that Jeremy did not want to have to remember at this moment. In a good way, though. It wasn’t that he hated them, it wasn’t like they were people Jeremy would rather avoid or anything, it was just that Ben saying they were here meant that they were on this island and that they were people Jeremy would have to find at some point, because, like, they were friends. More casual ones but that probably spoke for something about how many of his friends were casual. Basically, they used to talk weird shit on Skype with each other. He wasn’t sure what the beginning point was, but it was something that happened, and it was something that Jeremy enjoyed. Nothing more to it than that.

But they were here. They were on this island. Give the gods some dice and they’d probably bet that the two would be dead in a couple of days.

Well.

Maybe.

Apparently they had a plan. To do something. To keep others safe.

There was something that confused Jeremy a little bit about it, though.

“And then what?”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And Jeremy had heard it.

And Jeremy had a very particular opinion about what Penelope’s plan was.

“I don’t like that plan.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The pointer finger on Jeremy’s left hand pushed against his thumb, pushing and sliding until it eventually fell off.

“Still don’t like that plan.”

The baseball bat had been on his shoulder. It was lightly tapping the ground now. His eyes were level, looking at Ben.

May as well explain why.

“Because that makes everything pointless. It’ll make it so nothing here matters. There are… what, forty people dead already? If there’s no one at the end to go home then that means they died for nothing.”

He paused. Tapped his foot on the ground.

“And it's like, I just don’t think there’s much of a point if you do pull it off? Like, I get it, you’re trying to send a message to the man and all and you’re probably trying to tell everyone that you know, there’s actually a way to stop the murders but it’s not going to actually effect anything. The people up top, the dudes in control of this, they can just, like, not air it if they get a result they don’t like. If they can’t send whatever message they have, then why, like, waste airing it?”

He paused again. Sighed.

“I mean, I get that that’s not actually your plan, but I don’t think I can agree with it with that part there. I get the part about hunkering down, but, like…”

He turned his head away. Turned it back.

“I know Raina’s good at these sorts of things, but even then I don’t think she’s capable of beating this, yknow?”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There was a feeling on Jeremy’s arms. In his core. Rising up. Bubbling. Going up and up until it couldn’t be held in anymore.

It was one he hadn’t felt for a long time.

There was a lot he could say. There was a lot of material he could have used to respond to Ben. He could have done it calmly. Rationally. Just stated why he disagreed with Ben in a manner that was convincing and easy to understand.

Well. He couldn’t, though.

Because Ben was dead wrong.

And Jeremy needed to make him understand that.

“I don’t think you understand, Ben,” Jeremy said, hand scraping itself over the baseball bat. “I don’t think you seem to know that things have changed.”

Teeth gnashing. Grinding. Eyes baring into Ben. Drilling.

“We’re not the class of Cochise anymore. We’re just participants. We’re just people forced to play a game and the people up top are the ones who control us now. Maybe what you’re thinking would have worked back home. Maybe it would have worked if it was someone like fucking Michael you were up against. It won’t now, because maybe you haven’t noticed this, but the people up top basically control us. We step out of line, we try to be bigger than what we actually are, and all the people up top need to do is to press a button and then this,” he swung the baseball bat up and tapped the steel around his neck with it, “will make sure we can’t do anything anymore.”

He didn’t breathe. He didn’t stop. He stepped forward. Kept going.

“So no. I don’t like that plan. I don’t like the idea of just sitting around and doing nothing while only being able to hope that a girl with no fucking clue what she’s doing can somehow just magically whim up a solution. I’m not going to think that everything’s going to be alright and that anything can happen so long as I just believe or something. I’m going to fight for it. I’m going to do something about where I’m at. I know it’s going to happen. I know that there isn’t a chance in hell of me getting off of here, so I’m going to make the most of that. I’m going to settle myself. I’m going to do what I know I need to do and I’m going to do whatever it takes to do that.”

He’d made his point a long time ago. He knew that he didn’t need to say anything else.

But there was a feeling. Within him. Rising up through his arms and his core.

He had to say one last thing.

He had to end this.

“And I’m sure as hell not just going to die sitting around and doing nothing.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Thank you for telling me the very definition of hypocrisy.”

Jeremy just smiled at Ben.

“Because, like, I dunno man. Maybe I don’t have the greatest plan. Maybe there are some things I haven’t thought of yet.

He paused.

“It’s still better than yours, though.”

Stepped closer.

“Because maybe it's bad that I have killed. Maybe it’s bad that I will kill in the future. Maybe you’re right, yeah. Killing here is bad. Still better than doing it to them after constantly leading up their hopes though. Still better than doing it after making them happy because you gave them a promise you’ll never, ever be able to back up. Killing them outright is still better than dragging it out, giving them false hope through the plans of someone we both know can’t do it and having a fucking hissy fit when it doesn’t work out and trying to get everyone killed. No. You’re killing people as well. You don’t have the moral high ground here.”

Showed his teeth.

“And you know what? Yeah. My plan is better, because I think I’m gonna make people happy. Believe it or not, there are people out there who like me. Who want me. What happens if I die before I get to them? They probably wouldn’t like that. Believe it or not, I’m not being selfish, and even if I’ve done bad things, even if I’m going to do bad things, at least I know that. At least I can try to explain it to them. How will you explain it to them when whatever ‘plan’ you have fails? How can you even try to do it without breaking all that hope you built up for them?”

Looked right into Ben’s eyes.

“And how are you even going to stop them from picking you off one by one? You’ve got nothing on you. You can’t protect them at all. Isabel. She’s killed, what, eight people by now? I’m betting at least one of those people didn’t just roll over and die when she showed up. If she pops up near whatever sanctuary you have, how are you going to stop her?”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Actually, I think I’m gonna take a third option.”

He turned around. Took his steps away from Ben.

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The answer to Ben’s offer was no.

No, he wasn’t going to do it. No, he wasn’t going to shoot him. No, he wasn’t going to listen to Ben’s fucking ridiculous proposal about how Jeremy should kill him for the sake of… whatever Ben’s point was, Jeremy didn’t know what it was. If there even was a point in doing it. Because no, there probably wasn’t. There wasn’t a point in shooting a classmate of his when he was totally defenseless. There wasn’t a point in having to do it. Not again. Not so soon. Ben wasn’t a threat. He wasn’t planning on killing Jeremy. He wasn’t planning on harming any of his friends.

There wasn’t a point.

But he had to do it.

Because Ben was in his way.

Because Ben wasn’t letting him leave.

And because Ben was right.

Because yeah, he was. Maybe his plan was stupid. Maybe Jeremy’s was better, but there was one part of Ben’s thoughts that Jeremy had to agree with. Jeremy had been saying his intent. To himself - at the gym, when he’d eaten and when he’d seen his new gun for the first time. To Alba - at the bridge, when she’d asked him who he was and what he was going to do from that point out. To Ben - right here, right now, when Ben had asked him if he was going to do it again. He’d said it. He’d told others that he’d do it again. He’d told himself that if anyone got in his way - if anyone stood to stop him from doing what he needed to do - then he’d shoot them. No questions asked.

But now he had to act on it.

Because Ben had gotten in his way. Ben was trying to stop him. Ben was challenging him. Saying that he couldn’t. Saying that he was too much of a chicken to even consider shooting somebody again.

And if he couldn’t do it here - if he couldn’t pull his gun on somebody who was telling him to do so - then how could he do it on anyone else? If Isabel was here, if she was threatening to kill one of his friends, could he do it? Could he shoot her if he couldn’t even do it to someone who was telling him to?

You have to do it, Jeremy.

Nut up or shut up.

The Raging Bull clattered to the floor in front of Ben.

“That’s your gun. Pick it up.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He could hear the music in his head.

It was something grand. It was something empty. It was like the music that played in the Westerns. Well, what Jeremy assumed played in the Westerns. He had never really watched any Westerns. Probably never would, at this rate. He knew what he was supposed to do, though. Duel at ten paces. Take ten steps, turn, and shoot. Winner lived. Loser died. That’s all it was. All he had to do was step forward. Then turn. Then fire. Then hope that he did so first. Hope that this would end up like Junko again. Hope that he didn’t end up like the corpse he could see in front of him. Hope that he somehow got to live another day here and that he got to see them again. Emma. Serena. Alessio. Clarice. They were important. He needed to-

Walk.

Forward.

Don’t think.

Just count, and hope to God that you’re the one who moves first.

He took a step forward.

“Two.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jeremy Frasier was going to die on this island.

That was a fact that he had realised, five or six or seven or however many fucking days ago it happened to be. That was the ending he had figured out. Maybe the specifics were up in the air, but that fact right up there was what he knew it would all come to. He figured that he’d have fun along the way, just hoping that he could get as much done as possible before then. Just hoping he could get his last words, his last piece of impact out. Die happy. Maybe along the way he supposed he could play a game. Figure out how it was going to end. It was never really something he’d considered too much and it was never really something he’d thought about at all but it was there. In his mind. It was going to end one way or another, so who’d do it? Where’d they do it at? How would he die?

Well, he knew how it ended now.

Jeremy Frasier was going to die on this rooftop. He was going to be shot to death by Ben Fields.

That was how the story ended.

There was no more room for detail.

He was going to die here having done nothing he wanted to and with nobody remembering him other than just being a tragic victim of circumstance. The best he could hope for would be that someone would remember him as the person who just wanted so desperately for his life to be special and got his wish but far from the way he wanted it. He’d just be a name on a memorial somewhere, maybe visited and remembered by maybe a couple people at a ceremony each year. He’d be downed and burned while someone like Isabel or Lily or even fucking Caedyn got to take their trip home. That was at best. Maybe Ben would walk away from here and maybe he’d get everyone killed, just for the sake of having their hissy fit and making sure nobody remembered them other than the kids who vanished in a bus crash.

Was that how Jeremy wanted his story to end?

No.

It wasn’t.

Because he knew that he’d die. He knew that it had to happen at some point. Maybe part of him could pretend that he was okay with that. But he wasn’t. Everything in his head was telling him that no. He didn’t want to die. He didn’t want to be here. He wanted to be at home he wanted to be with his friends he wanted to be with BB and he absolutely didn’t want to have to think about what he’d achieved or how he’d live or how he’d die. No. He wanted to go back to those days. He wanted to live his life day by day, not needing to think about the future or the end or anything like that. That’s how he wanted to live. That’s where he wanted to be.

But he knew that it couldn’t be like that. It’d be stupid to think otherwise.

But there was one thing that he knew. One thing that applied here. The one thing out of all of that train of thought that he could achieve, here and now.

Jeremy Frasier was not going to die on this rooftop.

He took another step forward.

“F-four.”

Yugikun
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Something that Jeremy had learned throughout his life was that people didn’t seem to understand what the term “ruthless” meant.

They thought that it meant “mean.” They thought that it meant “selfish.” They thought that it meant “being a terrible person because you’re too self absorbed to think about other people.” It didn’t. It meant that you were able to see the clear line between A and B - startpoint to endpoint, where you are to where you need to be - and it meant that you couldn’t see anything other than that beautiful, perfect straight line. It also meant that you were willing to do anything in order to see that line through to its natural conclusion. Morals didn’t matter. The pity of others just got in the way. All that he needed was that straight line and all that he needed was the initiative to do it.

And right now, that was all Jeremy had.

Jeremy right now was standing on a rooftop. Holding a gun. He was in a duel. Ten paces. Turn, and shoot.

And he needed to live. There were things he still needed to do. People he still needed to see.

But the issue was he didn’t think he could win. He wasn’t sure that he would make it out alive, if he played fair. He needed to see the people he needed to see, but he couldn’t if he was dead.

So he needed to find that straight path.

He needed to figure out a way out of this.

And he figured it out, pretty quickly.

And then he judged it. Was it fair to do it? Could he do it? If he found Serena, or Emma, or Clarice after this, would they be able to look him for the eyes for what he’d done? Would he be able to look at himself in the mirror after he did it?

He wasn’t sure. Maybe, maybe not.

But he still had to do it.

He still had to live.

So call him ruthless, call him mean, but right now, he couldn’t see anything other than that straight line from A to B.

He turned around.

Met Ben’s eyes for the final time.

Pulled the trigger.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Rooftop · Next Topic »
Add Reply