Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V6 BKA/BDA Voting: March 2017
Topic Started: Mar 27 2017, 12:00 PM (338 Views)
VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
The girl who dreams on the back of a giant space turtle.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome to the sixth round of V6's Best Kill and Best Death Award contest voting! We start off with a reminder of the rules:

Quote:

Votes will remain hidden until the voting is done.

Votes are made anonymously, so you'll need to log out of your account and post as a guest.

You may not vote for yourself for either award.

Votes must come with reasoning, or they will not be counted.

As a reminder on points of courtesy: please be sure to read every kill and death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

BEST KILL AWARD:
Alba Reyes, for killing Kaitlyn Greene
Amanda Tan, for killing Will McKinley
Fiyori Senay, Scout Pfeiffer, and Dorothy Shelley, for killing Isabel Ramirez
Blair Moore, for killing Rene Wolfe

BEST DEATH AWARD:
Laurels, for the death of Nadia Riva
Riki, for the death of Lucilly Peterson
D/N, for the death of Kaitlyn Greene
Grim Wolf, for the death of Alex Tarquin
Seth Crimson, for the death of Will McKinley
Laurels, for the death of Noah Whitley
Wolley, for the death of Alan Banks
VoltTurtle, for the death of Isabel Ramirez
Aura, for the death of Rene Wolfe

Voting will run for five days, with the winners being declared in the following announcement.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Unregistered

Best Kill: Fiyori, Dorothy, and Scout for killing Isabel. This was a really fun thread, very satisfying to read, and managed to be a group kill without getting too overwhelming as to what was happening and when, which is always a risk with action threads full of people. All in all a very enjoyable clusterfuck of a scene.

Best Death: D/N for the death of Kaitlyn Greene. Another thread that was a great read, and a very good cap on the story of an already very good character. Kaitlyn ended her game just as strongly as she started it, and you can't ask for a lot more from a death.
Goto Top

LowerSaxony-BestSaxony
Unregistered

BKA

Alba Reyes, for killing Kaitlyn Greene

Listen, those terrorist guys? They love friends shooting each other to death as the result of sick games they play. As a matter of fact, so do I.

Kick me staff if that wasn't elaborate enough!

BDA

Okay this one was really tricky to answer. I just loved them all. They are like tiny cute kittens I just have to adopt. Regardless, I shall cast my vote for

Aura, for the death of Rene Wolfe

I was so moved by Rene's slow exitus, I even forgot for a moment that I was in the thread as a spectator! (alright, I was busy but still...) As I said, all of this round's death, but Rene facing certain death was just keeping me so very immersed.

Goto Top

THE MAIN MAN
Unregistered

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

BKA: THE CREW OF DIE ANYWHERE ELSE FOR MURDERING ISABEL

WELL IF THE TERRORISTS GIVE S.A.D.D. A BKA FOR MURDERING BLOOD BOY IN A CLUSTERFUCK THEY WOULD ALSO GIVE THE ISABELHUNTERS A BKA. THE SCENE WAS BLOODY ENTERTAINING FOR THE TERRORISTS. BLOOOOOOOD.

BDA: DN FOR THE KAITLYN DEATH SCENE

LAURELS AND DN DID A GREAT JOB OF SETTING UP THE SCENE. IT MADE ME FEEL VERY EMOTIONAL EMOTIONS. POOR ALBA. IT WAS THE MOST EPIC DEATH SCENE OF THE DAY.
Goto Top

Cordial Lupine
Unregistered

BKA: Amanda Tan. Amanda's been under-the-radar for a long time, but this was a really exciting and interesting scene. The climax of Will and Alex's relationship and violence was well-executed and a really good scene to read.

BDA: Isabel Ramirez. For a horrible psycho bitch, Isabel made a great impact with her death scene, and elicited some unexpected sympathy given her status (as a horrible psycho bitch). Isabel went out with a bang, and it not only encapsulated SOTF as a whole, but the stories of many different characters and players. Well-executed clusterfuck overall.
Goto Top

actually cicada
Unregistered

BKA / BDA =
Fiyori / Scout / Dorothy for killing Isabel Ramirez
Isabel's death

Die Anywhere Else is the best fight thread of V6 in my opinion. Every killer got their time in the spotlight, had their opportunity to shine and show off their characterization, but not one took the spotlight unnecessarily. Let me make it clear, Lily, Noah, and Alan also belong on that BKA and deserve informal credence. That thread is exhilarating and rich character wise. The action is easy to digest and follow. We get multiple good deaths, and the ones that weren't Isabel were also very serious contenders (and most of the other deaths lets be frank). Isabel specifically won out because she had such a big arc and thus such a big reversal and payoff at the end of it was excellent execution.
Goto Top

Sponsored by HETAP
Unregistered

Best Kill Award: My vote for this month's BKA goes to Amanda Tan for killing Will McKinley. This was a tough month, but what pushed me towards this one was that it was an accidental kill that came mid-game, but had a lot of gravitas. Amanda killed Will trying to kill Alex, but it was portrayed well and made sense. Yeah, shooting at two guys struggling at the floor runs the risk of hitting the wrong target, and I was glad to see something like that happen. I do like that it had weight and made Amanda horrified by her actions, but I like that Will matured enough to be reasonable towards it. I think it's going to be crucial for Amanda's arc, so I'm excited to see what happens next.

Best Death Award: Ugh, this month was so hard to choose. But I made a choice, and I went with Bikriki for the death of Lucilly Peterson. What made me chose this death more than any others is that it was completely in the scene. Lucilly is being stabbed to death and disembowled, and the focus is entirely on that. It's forcing the reader to focus on the brutal way this girl is being killed, and the amount of details and attention paid to it really highlights how gross the sequence is without going too far. It's a death that stuck with me, and I give it my vote.
Goto Top

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
About two and a half days left for votes!
Turtle's Signature
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

Best Kill: Amanda Tan

The kills were a bit weird this month. As a whole, "Say You're One of Them" was my favorite threads this cycle so I'll be giving this to Amanda, though I'd give it to Will were he eligible (unfortunately you can't give a dead kid a prize) feat. Jonathan Gulley. I haven't been reading most of these kids very closely, but in a very short time Amanda, Will and Jon came across as very warm and human. The choreography was very clear and the thread was very well paced. Special mention to Jonathan who was terrific in the fight and really made me feel for him and what he'd been through with Alex in the short time I saw him. Beating someone to death with a toilet seat and wearing a Nixon mask could have easily gone into "too whacky" territory but Toxie did such a great job that I thought it was all very fitting for the character. When all was said and done, Amanda is left having accidentally killed Will and he tries to make sure she doesn't feel guilty though "died of guilt" is a pretty plausible outcome for her anyway no matter what he said. I'm not always into accidental deaths, but I think the scene was very strong as is her reaction to what's happened given that she was already crushed with guilt. So yeah, my vote here is for Amanda, but I want to make special mention of Will's death which would probably have gotten the vote from me for BDA if this next person hadn't blown it out of the water.

Honorable mention: An honorable mention to Scout Pfeiffer in Die Anywhere Else. She was very strong in the thread and her personality came through in a way that was relatable and desperate. She was a grounding force and Ciel's writing was top notch.

Best Death: Kaitlyn Green

So like I said earlier, she really BLEW THIS ONE OUT OF THE WATER. You get it? Because the ocean? Anyway, this is quite possibly one of my favorite deaths in the entire version if not the whole game. Let me tell you a little about why I love it and why you should read it if you haven't and why I think DN, smelly Canadian that he is, deserves the prize. The death is perfect for Kaitlyn and no matter what the wiki says for crediting, she really killed herself and she was ecstatic about it. This was the culmination of all of her tricks and games on the island. This death was so perfectly her, so thematically ideal and also very original. She is a character who in normal life is a thrill seeker, adrenaline junky, tough girl so it makes sense in a twisted way that she wants to have a thrill and she wants to share it with a friend. I think she wanted Alba to win the game, but she wanted to see that her friend was as worthy and badass as she was and she wanted to go out staring death in the face and laughing. It's weird and strange and a really perfect cap for a weird character.

Honorable mentions: I want to talk a little about some other kids I didn't vote for but I thought were excellent. Like I said above, Will would have snagged this were it not for Kaitlyn so good job, Inge. I also really liked the death of Alan Banks in Die Anywhere Else. There is something so crushingly depressing about someone who didn't care if they were a great hero or a great villain, but just wanted to be more than average and failed at it. It's also very relatable. There's a common-ness to it that's elevated by Wolley's writing and I felt for him. You did an excellent job, Wolley.
Goto Top

King Louie the Orangutan
Unregistered

BDA was easier to decide even with the larger pool of applicants to pick from. I absolutely have to give this to Kaitlyn Greene for best death. The Girl Who Owned an Island was a wild ride from start to finish and I predict it to be the most criminally underrated thread of the entire game to date. Kaitlyn hasn't gotten a full read from me 'til today, and has an adrenaline-filled death fitting to the character. Even before the pivotal moments of her death, the weapon exchange can easily be visualized as a tense Mexican standoff-esque scenario that encourages you to feel as pressured as Alba was. "You blinked!", indeed.

As I implied at the start of my vote, BKA was a far more difficult choice. I'm a sucker for unintentional killing though so let's go ahead and say Amanda Tan killing Will McKinley. We had two violent clusters of threads on this day, but it is Say You're One of Them that comes together to a more coherent scene for me. Everybody there has a pretty clear purpose and drive for doing what they're all trying to do. William's killing of Alex likely would have taken this if he didn't wind up dying on us, so that leaves us with Will's accidental killer, Amanda. Aside from the accidental nature of the kill, it's hard for me to pinpoint what I like best. It's not the apology afterwards, as that actually reads as a little weak. Rather, it's the 'before' parts of action, playing confusion and errant movements together to show just what happens when you fire into melee without the relevant feat, damn it.
Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Unregistered

Okay, so. BKA and BDA for this round go to both Alba Reyes and Kaitlyn Greene for creating a fantastic scene together. Seriously. This is mostly because of the emotions brought on by both sides - Alba's fear and sadness at the fact that she has to face herself up against Kaitlyn and Kaitlyn basically just fucking with her the whole way through - felt real, and the things that these emotions give way to - Alba finally deciding that she needs to shoot Kaitlyn and finding it surprisingly easy and Kaitlyn's joy/ecstacy followed by death - feel like a very natural followup to what happened during the scene earlier, and a great way to both send Alba's story forwards and to end Kaitlyn's. Great scene. 9/10 with rice, and I hope that this one gets the recognition it deserves within this contest.
Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Unregistered

BKA/BDA goes to Alba and Kaitlyn for The Girl Who Owned an Island. This is one of the most dynamite scenes in V6. I enjoy the frantic madness of Die Anywhere Else, but that's just it: it's too frantic, there's too mcuh going on, and none of the characters really get the focus or attention they deserve. It;s a big, showy, fun thing, but it falls short of some really solid arcs. By contrast, Kaitlyn and Alba are solid from start to finish, and while D/N is definitely the one driving the scene, Alba doesn't get lost in the glory. It really stands out from the pack.
Goto Top

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Time's up. Votes will be tallied and approved.
Turtle's Signature
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Contest Voting · Next Topic »
Locked Topic