Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cast in the Name of God; Was day 6, then day 7, holy hell it's morning of day 8
Topic Started: Mar 23 2017, 08:46 PM (1,517 Views)
Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
((Olivia Fischer continues from Until Then, You Are Free))

Olivia was in good spirits, and that scared her.

Well, not really good spirits, but as close to it as you could get on this island. She was OK. She was OK, and that wasn't OK. They were basically kicked out their sanctuary, half the class was dead, and soon, she would be one of them. Well, no, she wasn't OK if you put it like that, so let's just push that aside, forget that thought, bury it.

But, for one thing, things were going fine with Georgia Lee. She had someone she could trust, someone she could lean on. Also, she had a collection of Ezra Pound's poems. But really, the main thing that kept her OK was the announcements earlier. Isabel died, they said, was killed by three people. Kaitlyn, too, as well as Alan and Alex. She really shouldn't have felt OK about this. They were her classmates, she'd seen them in the hallways, etc, etc. But, the truth was she held them in the same regard she held death row prisoners. They had it coming. Then, she remembered that they all were on death row. And, she remembered aliens, her banging on the cafeteria door. Unfamiliar beings wearing familiar masks. She was egging on those deaths, relishing in them, relishing in the deaths of her classmates. This wasn't her. She couldn't let it be her. So, she pretended that she'd vanquished those thoughts.

And, one last thing. For every killer that disappeared from the island, it seemed three more popped up. Or maybe that was just because of Isabel. She hadn't heard any of the names of Isabel's killers before on the announcements, but Fiyori's name was all too familiar. And then all of a sudden, Fiyori was right in front of her, and Georgia Lee was bumping into her, and any trace of good spirits vanished. She clenched her fists, her teeth, braced herself. And yet, Fiyori just passed by, smiling. For some reason, that scared her almost as much as the prospect of Fiyori lunging at them.

At least she left, though. She left, and someone less familiar took her place. A friend of a friend. She seemed nice.

All of Coleen's attention seemed to be focused on Georgia Lee, so she just stood there in the background, waiting for them to finish their greetings and hoping one of them would say hi to her or for her.
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

"Mara was a mistake." - Cicada, 2017
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
And they said hi to her and for her. How nice. She nodded back at Coleen, wore a half-smile.

It just occurred to Olivia that Coleen's name had been on the announcements too, a few days ago. She didn't exactly remember what or how she did it, couldn't quite pick it out among the torrent of names and deaths the announcements gave, but her name was on there, and she was still right in front of them. The idea of it, of her killing someone, didn't really fit what was in front of her, though. Sure, there was the spear in her hand, but she seemed so pleasant, both here and in Cochise. Then again, being nice in Cochise didn't say much here. Maybe she should've listened to the announcements more, as much as it would've hurt. Listened to the how's of Coleen's sin. Maybe it would help solve this puzzle.

Well, whatever actually happened, Olivia didn't think it would help to be too standoffish. So, she took a seat, the one farthest from Coleen, and dropped her bags. She shivered a bit, and reached inside one of her bags to get the jacket, but then she stopped herself. Hated herself. Even though Irene had given her the sweater specifically to keep her warm, she didn't feel like she deserved it. And it was the only piece of Irene Olivia had. To wear it, to sweat in it, to vanquish whatever remained of Irene was to kill that piece, to kill her. So, she left it there, left herself cold.

And then Coleen's question.

"Well, uh, we went out to get supplies. But then, the place we stayed at got-" taken over? invaded? "-I mean, someone else got in the place we were at before, so, we, uh, we decided to look for somewhere else."

And then she gestured towards the room in general.

"And now we're here."
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
A gasp caught in Olivia's throat as she heard Georgia Lee's question, and then she watched Coleen break down.

Is that what I've looked like the past couple of days?

And this wasn't about Olivia, she wasn't the one who'd lost or killed someone, no, don't make it about yourself, but, she had cried basically every day on this island for one reason or another, even though she promised herself as soon as she woke up that she wouldn't give the terrorists that, and she had cried, she had broken down over and over again, and that's what she looked like?

She didn't know why, maybe it was that thought, or the fact that she thought about herself first rather than Coleen, but even though she hadn't been the one to ask Coleen about her day, Olivia felt a wave of guilt envelop her. She winced, really, and she wanted it to stop, wanted to bring back that fleeting, half-normal moment, so she moved forward an inch or so to hug her. But then her eyes caught again the spear next to Coleen, and she stopped, opted to stay in her seat, a good distance away. But she still wanted it to stop. So, she opted for words.

"No, no, Coleen, honey, Coleen, it's. It's..."

Fine? OK? Because it wasn't. Not at all. Olivia didn't know all of what happened. There was regret, that was clear enough, but what happened? Had it been an accident? Was it sudden rage? Did she do it on purpose, then felt remorse? All Olivia knew was that Coleen was broken down, and even though she seemed so pathetic in this moment, it scared her, scared Olivia. Lots of things did these days, but the thing was Coleen was vulnerable, unstable, and with a weapon next to her. Part of her wanted to lunge, grab the weapon from her, but everyone knew how that would end. So, she sat there, stuttered.

"D-don't- don't cry."

And it sounded so small, so tiny.

She looked wide-eyed at Georgia Lee, waited for her to do something, anything.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
As Olivia listened, she put herself in Coleen's shoes. Then, she took them off. She already had enough to worry about on the island, she didn't need to add imaginary problems to her own. Except, those imaginary problems had a nonzero chance of becoming real ones for her.

More waves of guilt washed over her after the story finished. It was like they'd put Coleen on trial without evidence. Except, they had evidence, they had the announcements, and she could always make up stories, could always act, could always find new masks to put on. But her gut told her something as she looked at Coleen, at her breathing into her hands.

"Co-Coleen, it's f- it's fine. You're not guilty, you tried-" to do the right thing? This was the right thing now? But death row prisoners, murders, Alessio was a murderer. Serial murderer. Spit it out. "-to, to do the right thing. Alessio was, is dangerous. And no- I mean, it's not fine that that happened, I mean you're not guilty, not that it's fine." And now she was rambling, repeating herself, and she stopped before she lost all meaning. She looked at Georgia Lee again, expected her to find the words she was missing.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
And all of a sudden, the tables turned, and now they were put on the spot. And really Georgia Lee was the one being put on the spot because she was why Fiyori left, she was the one who'd spent days with her, Olivia was just a bystander. But Olivia knew, knew what Georgia Lee did, and if she knew then why was she still here? Why? Because lying to someone about their eyeglasses wasn't much, wasn't anything compared to murdering, and while Coleen just made a mistake, she still made it, so maybe it would just be nothing to her if Olivia said it. And she hated how this conversation wasn't happening on Facebook, where one could type, re-type, delete your words without much problem, how the more she thought, the more things would seem off.

Eventually, after a few long seconds, Olivia said, "I... I don't know. I'm not sure." And then she looked at Georgia Lee. She could handle this.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
It wasn't like Olivia had never seen a gun before. Of course, there was Coleen, and Irene before that, but her father had a gun too. Always a 'just-in-case', just in case some robber decided to enter their house in the dead of night, just in case they needed to defend themselves. And it had been some big nothing, this just-in-case, because it was just that, some distant possibility you'd only hear about in the front pages and on the TV screens, some flash accompanied with a bang and red dye. But then Blair raised her gun, pointed it at someone.

Olivia couldn't breathe. This was so, so different. With Coleen, she'd set it aside, hid it in some bag, and Irene, well, she never used it, and she was Irene, she never would- no, never did that, and now here come these people barging in here, pointing guns, and she'd heard their names before, she'd heard them on the announcements and they were still here, so they all knew what that meant, and they were pointing a gun, and now Georgia Lee was speaking and Olivia wanted to grab her, tell her to stop speaking, move her, but all she could do was stay frozen, eyes locked on Blair, breath and words caught in throat.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
And Olivia just watched it all from her seat, words still stuck, two away from Coleen and one from Georgia Lee. She watched as the gun flashed, as Georgia Lee collapsed, as everything collapsed, as Coleen got her gun. She watched as Blair and then Alba ran, had the fucking gall to run from what they did. She watched, and all that she could think was that if they hadn't gone out to look for some cards, this never would've happened. They'd stayed in the cafeteria for hours, for entire days, and no one so much as even knocked on their door. And then they go out for a few hours for those cards, and they're locked out. Locked out of their sanctuary, in the wilderness, just for a day. And they go here, and now Georgia Lee, she's been shot in the leg, and all because of her cards, all because she couldn't live a few more hours without those cards, and, she had had Georgia Lee, she should have been content with that, but they left for her cards and now she was bleeding and it was her fault and no no no she was tired, she was tired of it being her fault, it was Blair and Alba and Enzo who came in here, Blair who fired the gun, Blair and Alba who just left, they left,

"They left," she answered. "They, uh, they left, they just, they went down there," and she stood up, walked past Coleen's gun towards the exit, "down the hall, they just left, didn't even look back, after what they did, they, they left and they shouldn't have they- they- COME BACK HERE!" and she leaned down the hall and screamed those words, and they bounced off the walls, down the hall, but they were long, long gone, not even in sight, and why had she only gotten the guts to stand up, to do something, anything just when it didn't matter, why did the blood only come back in her veins once they'd left, why did they leave because should've come back, they needed to come back, because Georgia Lee didn't even do anything and now she was lying there and oh god she was lying there.

And she rushed towards her, and her eyes were rolled back, and she was breathing, but she was lying down, not awake, not conscious, and oh god her jeans were so wet, so sticky, so much, and she looked towards Coleen and Enzo and they were just standing, walking around as if Georgia Lee had just gotten a paper cut and she wasn't even awake and she needed help and "help her help her help her."
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Olivia grabbed the gauze pads and placed all her strength into them into stopping the blood, but Georgia Lee was flowing all over her all over the floor and-

oh god her eyes were still rolled back and oh god the moaning Olivia was hurting her hurting her make it stop and god

"Georgia Lee I'm so sorry oh my god please stay with me please please"

and she held on to her, held on to Georgia Lee as if her soul was dangling off a cliff, only kept above by fingertips which it was, nothing but fingertips because she was everywhere. on the floor, she was holding onto nothing but fingertips she was like a house of cards and oh god the cards the book of Ezra Pound she had was this what a life cost these days? a book and a non-existent deck of cards? oh god she didn't know and she was crying now and the tears mixed with her blood and it was dripping into her wounds and tears had salt and Georgia Lee was wincing and stop and oh god oh god maybe if she called upon His name enough He would pay attention and look and save her save her please.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
As Coleen stirred, Olivia woke up. She woke up to daylight, and that was the first sign something had gone very, very wrong.

Enzo talking to her had really helped, it did. Georgia Lee needed to stay alive, and so that meant Olivia needed to stay calm, stay above the waves of panic. She could do it, she had to, had to for her. So, she tried. And eventually, she was able to convince herself that she could do more than not panic, that she could stay watch again, stay awake for the four of them. It made sense, she'd gotten a full night's sleep the day before, she could go a few more hours without. She could, she could, she had to.

And now it was daylight.

Oh god, she'd just rested her eyes for a bit, right? Just, her eyes, they felt so heavy, her eyelids, she could barely keep them open and it was dark, and she'd just leaned back against the wall to rest for a few more minutes, and it was daylight.

And the couch was empty.

"Oh my god."

She got up, looked around the room. Coleen. Enzo. Georgia Lee?

She would've been able to tell, if someone had gotten in here, kidnapped Georgia Lee. Or if Georgia Lee walked out. She should have felt it, should have been woken up the same way Coleen woke her up.

She crawled towards the couch. Looked at the coffee table. The TV.

No Georgia Lee.

"No. She was, I was..."

Asleep. And she was gone. No, maybe he knew, maybe Enzo knew. He had to.

She shook Enzo's shoulder. Looked him in the eye. Please, please know something.

"Hey, Enzo, sorry, so sorry but did you see- did you, uh, do you know where Georgia Lee went? Did you see her?"

Please.
Edited by Maraoone, May 3 2017, 01:41 PM.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
yes thomas why
[ *  *  * ]
Enzo didn't say yes, and everything collapsed.

Olivia's eyes were wet. Wet like they'd been the entire week. No one knew where Georgia Lee was. All she had to do was stay awake for a couple hours, that was literally the only thing asked of her, to stay conscious, and she couldn't even manage that. She couldn't defend Georgia Lee, couldn't defend herself, couldn't do anything of matter. And now Georgia Lee was off wandering somewhere on the island, bleeding, disoriented, alone.

She'd lost Georgia Lee. She'd been left behind.

Again.

And at this thought, fire surged through her. Because no, she would not be left behind again, she would not stay stuck in a room for hours upon hours, waiting for her to come back, she would not. She would not let that happen, could not, because the alternate was unthinkable.

Olivia blinked away her tears. Pulled herself up, together. Went towards Coleen.

"Right. Let's hurry. We have to, we have to hurry."

And she went out the door and in her mind, she prayed for salvation. For Georgia Lee's and for her town.

((Olivia Fischer continues in Ye Not))
Edited by Maraoone, May 9 2017, 09:23 AM.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · Staff Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply