Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jenny From the Block
Topic Started: Feb 17 2017, 03:13 AM (655 Views)
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Hazel Jung continued from If You Had My Love ))

Hazel lay on the floor of the radio tower with her feet up against a wall. She picked at one of her food bars.

"You know, I think maybe people are often too hard on Inspector Javert. I mean, sure, he's a total jerk and I guess there needs to be a solid human antagonist for parts of the story but I think people sometimes don't consider the circumstances that make people think in such binary terms."

She looked upside down at Jordan.

"What do you think?"
things
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hazel bit her thumbnail and gave an upside down smile at Jordon. Her eyes drifted down to the others sharing her space on the floor.

She rolled over until she was on her stomach and did half of a push-up to lift herself off the ground.

"We should probably clean up," she said, tilting her head to the dead girls shot in the face on the floor. "You know, if we're going to be here awhile."

Hazel grabbed one girl by the feet and started dragging her out of the control room. It was a little harder than she thought and she dug her heels in, pulling the corpse out of their space.

"Yeah, the tragedy is good people being against each other. I guess I understand a little better the idea of being so set against something that it's hard to look past whatever the crime is to consider context or if the person changed," she said as she dragged the body past the door.

"You're right, he's a total spoilsport because well, the plot wouldn't happen if he wasn't. Do you think people really ever change or do they just make different choices that more or less align with like, a core sense of self? I don't think Valjean was ever really a bad guy."

things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hazel stood for a moment looking at the two bodies they'd pulled out of the hallway. She didn't know why it took until now to strike her how creepy they were and she thought that she must have been crazy just a second ago to casually drag one of them out. Some kind of delayed reaction or maybe a coping mechanism. Either way, it was better that they weren't in the room they were waiting in anymore, so it was probably a good kind of temporary insanity.

Jordan was looking a little green after having to shuffle around their former classmates. Involuntarily, she smiled. Hazel suddenly thought about asking him if he believed in ghosts, but thankfully he kept talking about the nature of how people change.

Something about it hit her very deeply. "No, it makes perfect sense," she said quickly after he tried to retract it.

"If you change something a little bit every time then soon there's the original foundation at the bottom but it's way different from the thing that started."

Hazel looked down and privately wondered what effect every rotten brick the island was piling up on each of their personal towers was having.

"It's too bad we weren't better friends before," she said quietly, not looking up. "If there's anything good that came out of this complete garbage fire, it's that I got to get to know you better."

Hazel put a hand on his shoulder and tried to give her best cheerful smile, hoping it covered up how scared and worried she was.
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Really?"

Hazel tilted her head a fraction of an inch to her left and the corners of her eyes picked up slightly at the response. Jordan stuttered trying to find the appropriate words. A genuineness radiated from him and his answer that picked her up. Her smile spread and became sincere instead of a shoddy attempt to convince herself things were alright.

Her heart lifted along with her eyebrows as he finished. There was a friendly warmth in the room that reminded of her of the comfort she felt hanging out with her friends at home, totally at ease, making cracks about school. Hazel slowly closed her eyes, which stayed closed for two seconds before flying open at the sudden sound of the door and Jeremy.

Hazel whipped towards the door ready at first to have to defend herself from whoever had come, but her stance relaxed a bit when she saw who it was. Her hand flew up to her mouth, covering a half-gasp.

"What happened to you?" she said, stepping forward to try and see his injuries more clearly. "It looks like you got jumped."

He placed two objects on the table, keeping the bat for himself. Hazel briefly looked at them before rushing forward to try and look at the injuries on his face.

"Who did this? What happened?" she asked, prodding a bruise on his face with a feather-light touch. "Are you okay?"
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Jukno?" she asked, frowning and inspecting one of his facial bruises.

Hazel didn't know anything about her. She didn't know if what he said made sense or not. Jeremy took the gun out of his pocket and Hazel felt her heart jump into her throat and she took a quick step back with her hand snapping away from Jeremy and clutching her chest instead.

His next words indicated that he'd just taken out his gun for illustrative purposes and more importantly, to suggest he'd shot Junko which Jordan immediately requested clarity on before finding it himself.

Her hand slid down away from her chest and back to her side. She could feel her breathing had picked up from the momentary panic and took a deep breath that she disguised as a sigh. Hazel slowly moved towards her bag and unzipped it.

He'd killed someone and unlike the last killer they'd encountered he seemed to be pretty sane and implied that it was done in self defense, which made it difficult to write him off. Truthfully, she didn't want to. Hazel got a water bottle out of the bag and held it up to him.

She could ask him what happened or ask him what circumstances lead to him killing Junko. The second question was a little more confrontational, though it was probably the most important question they could ask regarding the situation.

"It's kind of cold. It might help a little" she said about the bottle, putting it on the table.

Hazel's foot knocked her bag and the CD fell partially onto the floor. She knelt down to pick it up and shot a furtive look at Jordan.

What should we do?

Her hand took hold of the fallen item and her nails clacked lightly against the plastic case.

Ask how he killed Junko.

But what if she didn't want to know the truth? What if it made it impossible for him to stay with them? It wasn't that she was really so attached to Jeremy, but that there were so few people that could be counted on. Here was a person who said he'd come back to them and he did.

"I...."

She put the CD down next to the stereo he'd brought them, leaving her hand on top of it.

"....found this," she said, looking to the objects on the table rather than at Jeremy.

things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hazel stared at the CD player in disbelief.

~ Don't be fooled by the rock I got. I'm still, I'm still- ~

Her face cracked into a small grin that grew wider with every passing second until she was grinning from ear to ear.

"Ha. Haha. Hahaha!"

She started laughing so hard she hunched over and tears started collecting in the sides of her eyes. Hazel had absolutely no idea what else to do. It was just ridiculous. Hazel bounced up and down and grabbed Jeremy by the hands, forgetting for a moment that they were on a murder island, forgetting that a moment ago the tension over his recent kill was so thick you could practically swim in it, and danced with him.

Hazel flipped her hair back and forth and pulled his arms, alternating with pulling each forward and back to force him to shimmy along with her, laughing still.
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
After a bit of goofy dancing, the trio turned off the music and presently all were asleep. They all slept in the same room and they'd moved a table in front of the door for good measure.

Hazel settled into an uneasy sleep at first, moving around and trying to arrange her bag as a pillow in a way that wouldn't push the collar up into her neck. The area they'd chosen was quiet and the small space was cozy. The only thing she heard was the gentle breathing of the two boys. She relaxed and fell asleep.

In the middle of the night she began sleeping more fitfully. Hazel rolled over and grabbed someone's hand. Tears picked up in the corners of her eyes and fell sideways down her face.

"-n-Jae" she half-whispered.

Han-Jae, her father. He left her and her mother so long ago she never knew what having a father was like. She was two months old when someone abandoned her for the first time and it felt like it never stopped. Hazel had gotten so used to it that it wasn't surprising anymore and she told herself that it didn't bother her. Charlotte, her second mother who nearly raised her, left for Florida just as she was becoming a teenager. Hazel couldn't expect someone to choose her over a better life, but it still hurt.

Hazel knew that she was full of affection, but that she wasn't selective enough and that had endangered her other relationships with her girl friends. She couldn't stand the thought of losing them too.

Hazel thought she found the one who would stay by her this time. This time for sure. But she was wrong as usual. Cue price is right losers' horn.

In the dark, her dreams were of never having the feeling of a "dad." Someone you go to who you feel like will take care of the problem and make things right, someone who makes you feel safe. Someone who makes you feel loved. In regular life his absence didn't bother her much because you can't miss something you never had, but right now it would have been nice to have a memories of strong arms giving a bear hug and she had none. The very first person to ever leave her.

Hazel woke, feeling slightly queasy. She opened her eyes sluggishly and saw she had her face buried in Jordan's arm, which she was clutching for dear life.

"Sorry," she whispered, embarrassed. Her fingers loosened and dropped. Hazel hoped she hadn't woken him up. She rolled over, and tried to go back to sleep.

Morning had molded the boys into shape. From her place laying on the floor she could see their blurry figures sitting up. She woke up halfway through the announcements and blinked a few times before rousing herself. She was had gathered her wits just in time to hear that Jeremy had won a prize.

Hazel rubbed her eyes and nodded as Jeremy left departing instructions.

She scratched her head. Her scalp was really oily and gross. None of them had had a bath in days.

Jordan brought up the obvious question once enough time had passed that Jeremy wasn't going to bust through the door going "Sorry, forgot my essential chisel!" She didn't really want to answer him, but it wasn't a talk they could put off.

"Well....I think we can. We've slept with him more than once. If he wanted to kill us, I think he would have already done it, right? Unless he's using us for cover, like if we run into anyone else then he can say 'No, I'm cool and for sure not dangerous. Just ask my friends here.' Then again, it sounded like that announcement and what he told us line up. There wasn't much choice for him. Then again, AGAIN, why was he hanging out with Alex when we found him?"

She said it all somewhat slowly, trying to work out the question for herself as much as Jordan. Hazel bit the end of her index finger, deep in thought.

"What do you think?"
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hazel looked up from her thoughts to see Jordan giving her a look somewhere halfway between shocked and embarrassed. She sat up and moved her hair behind one ear, positioning herself cross-legged on the floor between some of the vines that had crept into the tower. Outside there was the faint chirping of morning birds.

She thought back on what she said. Her whole face became pink and she leaned forward to punch Jordan lightly on the arm.

"I mean we've been sleeping in the same room as the guy!"

She settled back into her sitting spot and realized she'd been a bit too loud considering people with bad intentions could still be around.

"You perv," she added much quieter with a half-smirk.

Hazel calmed back down and flopped into her sleeping position to consider Jordan's thoughts on the matter. She was still a bit tired as if she hadn't slept well. Hazel buried her face in the bag she'd been using as a pillow and sighed after Jordan's sigh.

"I want to sleep more," she said into the bag. It didn't seem like a great idea. It was daylight now, and more likely that people were moving around the island again.

"I don't know what 'kind' he is. I want to trust him too, but I think it's best to be on our guard just in case. Even if we can trust him now, we might not be able to later. He might change.....we better pack up. We've got to meet up with him."

Hazel started stuffing things back into her bag and zipped it up. She took a brief look around the room, but it didn't look like there would be much that would make for a good makeshift weapon. She stood, took the chisel Jeremy left and stuffed it into her back pocket. The CD player was still on the table. Hazel picked it up.

"Ready to head out?"

things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hazel smiled.

"No, I wasn't planning on bringing it with us. The party will live on past us.....until someone finds it and turns it off I guess."

Hazel pressed play on the CD player. She situated it on the floor of the radio control tower and strategically covered it in the vines and undergrowth so that it was hidden, but blasting pop music at full volume. She straightened up and made her the strap of her bag was securely on her shoulder.

"Ok, let's go."

((Hazel Jung continued Where Will You Stand When the Flood Comes? ))
things

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Radio Tower · Next Topic »
Add Reply