Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Santa Sangre; Open, day 5
Topic Started: Feb 16 2017, 02:36 PM (912 Views)
Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Alba Reyes and Brendan Harte continued from The Scarlet Garden))

((All GMing in this thread approved))

"Okay, put your hands on my shoulders," Alba said to Brendan. "Keep a tight grip."

She slowly inhaled and exhaled as Brendan put his arms in place. Alba had only seen something like this in a movie before, so she prayed it was applicable to this situation. Either way, they didn't have much options. They didn't have many medical supplies with them, and the arrow in Brendan's shoulder had to come out somehow.

"Okay," Alba said, putting her left hand on Brendan's shoulder and her right on the arrow. "I'll count to three, then pull. Just...let me know if it's too much."

Alba closed her eyes and exhaled again. She could feel Brendan's grip tightening on her shoulders. She clutched the arrow harder.

"Right. Here we go," Alba said, bouncing a bit in her seat. "1..."

She closed her eyes briefly.

"2..."

She opened them up and stared at Brendan directly.

"3!"

Alba pulled as hard as she could, keeping a tight grip on both the arrow and Brendan's shoulder. It took a lot more force than she expected, but she somehow managed to get the arrow out. She let out a loud gasp when it did, wincing as she heard Brendan cry out. She could see blood pouring out of the wound and down his shirt. Alba let out a few more heavy breaths, then looked at the arrow in her hand.

"Okay! That's out. Get your shirt off so we can stop the bleeding."

Alba threw the arrow to the floor beside her and reached for the first aid kit. She began to rifle through the items to find what would probably help Brendan the most. Her first aid knowledge was limited to animals, so in theory, plugging an arrow wound would be the same as that.

They had run to the Staff Lounge after escaping the gardens. They merely ran inside the asylum and looked for the first open room where they could sit and work. Alba was at least glad they weren't pursued. She still had no idea how to use the rifle, and she wasn't sure if Brendan was in any condition to fight if needed. Fortunately, they hadn't found anyone else and were able to get inside the lounge without any trouble.

Alba found the alcohol pads and bandages and looked to the now shirtless Brendan.

"Kay," she began. "This might hurt like hell, so just let me know if it's too much."

Alba prepared a pad and pressed it to Brendan's wound. From the sounds he made, it was definitely too much.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Okay, okay, okay," Alba said as Brendan reacted to the alcohol pad. "That should hopefully disinfect it. I'll wrap it now."

Alba took the roll of bandages and began to wrap them around Brendan's injury. She had to hope this was also being done correctly. This wasn't like the band aids she had to put on herself or her siblings. This had to actually keep Brendan from bleeding to death. Alba continued to wrap the bandages around the wound.

"Alright, so that was a bust, and we lost the church as a hideout," Alba said. "But hey, that could have been so much worse."

Alba sighed a bit.

"Brendan, I'm sorry you got hurt. I should have prevented it."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba smiled a bit when Brendan said he didn't blame her for being attacked. That really made her feel better. It was her who approached Jae back there and forced Brendan to come over as well, so she was worried it would cloud their relationship going forward. At the very least, it showed he was in the right mindset to keep going. They could seal themselves in the lounge for the day so he could recover, then continue with whatever they should do next afterwards.

That is, until Alba heard a knocking. She turned and saw a girl standing there. Alba figured the girl was a senior since she wasn't sure who she was. She was already upset they didn't think to block the door, but considering how hurt Brendan was, it was understandable.

"Um, hey," she said to the new girl. "What's up?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The girl was named Fiyori. Alba hadn't heard a name like that before. Well, maybe she heard it around Cochise, but not that she could recall. Regardless, the girl seemed to be in slightly good spirits, although Brendan seemed upset. Alba figured she should try to get things on the right track.

"Well, it's good you're not dead," Alba said. "I mean, we should all be glad for that as long as we can."

Alba cleared her throat. It was nice to have someone Brendan was familiar with here, but she needed to get back to what she was doing before.

"So, um, Brendan. I think we're good on bandages. How do you feel?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba was going to reply when Fiyori suddenly came from behind and hugged Brendan. Alba was slightly surprised by that display of affection. Granted, a few hours ago she had kissed Brendan without his permission, but it was suddenly weird to see. Alba turned away, then stood up.

"Okay, you guys have your moment, then Brendan can get dressed. I'll take stock of everything."

Alba grabbed her bag and walked to a small table with a chessboard on it. She began to rifle through it, absentmindedly counting how many bottles of water were in there. She figured it'd be best to give Brendan and Fiyori their time.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba listened quietly as Brendan and Fiyori spoke. She eventually stopped fiddling with the contents of her bag to listen. He tried to start with a joke, but soon fell back into self-loathing. Alba bit her lower lip and turned her head slightly down. It really bothered her that Brendan still felt this way. She thought they had gotten past this in the church, but maybe the scars were deeper than she thought.

"Brendan, please don't hate yourself," Alba said, turning back to Brendan. "I don't hate you, and I think plenty of people will be willing to give you a chance."

Alba sighed quietly. She wanted to believe that would be the case. Fiyori was at least nice enough to hear Brendan out. Maybe Fiyori could help Alba get Brendan back in the right mood.

Alba walked over to the couch where she set the rifle down. She picked up the gun and held it facing a wall away from the others.

"I mean, I hate that I couldn't use this thing when I had to. Well, almost had to."

Alba looked over the gun, turning it slightly in her hands.

"Like, how sad is it to be unable to fire a gun to protect someone? I could have let you die back there if we didn't get the chance to run."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba tightened her grip on the rifle when Fiyori said Alba should pass the gun to her if they got in trouble. Brendan brought up what Alba was thinking, so she nodded. She didn't want to get into a conflict with another person after the last one ended so poorly. She clenched her jaw and slowly breathed out through her nostrils. She wanted to make her point to Fiyori clear.

"Brendan's right," Alba said. "I know I don't want to kill anyone, but I don't want to be useless in a dangerous situation. So...I want to learn how to use this; to protect the ones I love, and to stop anyone who threatens them."

Alba looked over the rifle. It started to look like a gun shaped Rubik's cube in her hands, but even those had tricks and solutions.

"I mean, I only got this because Kimiko killed my companion. I only had a CD then, so I couldn't save him. But I don't want to go through that again. I'll protect my friends, and that will include you, Fiyori."

Alba stared at Fiyori.

"I-if you'd like," she stuttered out.

Alba bit her lower lip and looked around the room. She was making a lot of these speeches today, and it was starting to get strange how natural that was for her.

"But then again," Alba said, "we could all stand to learn how to use it if needed. So...target practice time?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So it looked like they were all agreement. They were all going to teach themselves how to use the rifle. Alba nodded as Brendan offered the cat food as target practice.

"Sure. That should be good. Place it on the table over there."

Alba turned the gun to the wall, away from Fiyori and Brendan. She was going to be messing around with a crazy and complicated piece of weaponry, and she really didn't want to shoot either of them. She started moving her hands over the gun, looking for anything that looked like a switch.

It was starting to feel weird. She was now coaching herself to fight and kill people. She was starting to accept the reality of the game, and she was making a lot of compromises. But even she knew she had to do this. She had made her declaration to Brendan, and she would do anything to protect those who helped her. Besides, even she could show some restraint when it called for it.

Alba then felt something flick. She had passed over a small object and could have sworn the gun just made a noise. She hadn't touched it before, so maybe it was the safety. Either way, she figured now was a good time to try the gun.

"Okay," she told them. "I think the gun is ready to go. Let's pop a cap in this cat food's ass."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Skipping and GMing of Brendan approved by Prim))

Alba was all ready to go. Brendan had set the can up on a table and had stepped out of the way. Alba was ready to line the gun up and make an attempt to fire at the cat food. She moved so that Brendan and Fiyori could be nowhere near the direction of the gun if she somehow lost control.

Before she could, Fiyori asked her about the gun and how she acquired it.

"Oh, yeah," Alba said, "I did get the gun from someone. Kimiko stabbed Bradley and ran off, so I took the gun to go after her. I thought I'd catch her and force her back, but I lost her and then got lost in the process. It was pretty dumb, looking back."

"And no, I didn't get a manual. I have ammo for it, but if there was a manual, it's with Bradley at the gym, and we can't get back there until tomorrow. So I guess we'll have to figure it out on our own."

Alba gulped a bit.

"So let's try it."

Alba turned back to the cat food and held the rifle up. She knew guns had to have sights or other markers to tell her where the gun was pointing to and what would hit the object. She thought she had it lined up with the can, so she breathed in, then out.

"Okay, I think I got-"

Alba pulled the trigger, then let out a cry as the gun erupted. Bullets flew at the wall, causing Alba to close her eyes as they went off. Alba let go of the trigger after a few shots went out, bringing silence back into the room. She opened her eyes and stared at the wall. The bullets hit the wall directly above the can, which was as perfect as it was when it left the factory. Alba moved her hand away from the trigger and looked at the two near her, her rings starting to ring.

"Holy crap, that was loud!" she shouted.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba snapped her fingers by her ear. Oh good, she could still hear. She was worried the sound of the gunfire would leave her deaf, but the ringing in her ears was still quite off-putting. She whistled a bit.

"Okay, so I suck at this, but I guess that's why we're doing this," she said to Brendan and Fiyori.

Alba glanced at the immaculate can of cat food. The longer it stayed in mint condition, the more it proved that none of them were able to defend one another from the dangerous people. Alba bit her lip slightly. She had to get better quickly.

Brendan was right that they should have been careful about the sound.

"Oh, crap," she said. "We probably should do something about that."

Fiyori then asked to try the gun. Alba nodded. They should take turns to at least get the idea of how to use the rifle down.

"Here," she said, holding the rifle out for Fiyori to take. "You shoot, I'll block the door."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Sure," Alba said to Brendan's question after handing the gun to Fiyori. "I'll start with that lounge chair."

Alba walked to one of the lounge chairs and grabbed it by the back. She dragged it behind her and walked over to the door. Her ears were still ringing from the last hail of gunfire, so she occasionally snapped her fingers by her ears just to make sure. She also patted the area around her ears to make sure blood wasn't dripping down. So far, it was fine.

Alba placed the chair by the door, shoving it under the doorknob when Fiyori fired at the can. Alba jumped a few inches off the ground, curling her body in slightly as she jumped. The whole thing was still really loud, causing her to grit her teeth and keep her hands close to her ears.

"Okay, I know we need to do this," Alba shouted, "but I swear I'm gonna be deaf when this is all over!"

"Does anyone have earplugs or something!?!" she shouted.

The ringing continued. If it was going to be this bad firing in a closed room at a stationary object, would it be worse if they had to fire at a living person? Alba continued to twitch a bit in place as she pondered that.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They may not have obliterated the can, but it was a peaceful day regardless. Each of them got a chance to use the gun, although they had to stop to conserve ammo. Either way, Alba was feeling better about the gun. She'd probably have better luck with it if the situation called for it. Granted, she didn't want a situation to call for it, but even she was aware things were different now. Brendan almost died today, and it could have been either of them dead by Jae's hand.

After some chatting and snacking, Alba and the team had managed to get a good night's sleep after taking some shifts watching. It wasn't until Brendan jostled her and Fiyori up to hear the announcement that the peace was broken. Alba listened carefully. Some people had managed to kill again, while some of the dangerous people had died. Alba was upset to hear that Arthur had died, at the hands of some girl named Coleen. She didn't have much time with him, but he was a decent person from what she saw.

It was one name that seemed to really affect Brendan. Alba didn't know Michael Crowe, but he must have been a close friend of Brendan's if Brendan had such a strong reaction to his passing. Alba held back as Brendan hit the table repeatedly. Alba watched her friend have his meltdown, a lump starting to form in her own throat.

"Brendan, I'm so sorry," she said.

Alba noticed the rifle nearby. She looked at it, at Brendan, and at Fiyori, before settling on Brendan.

"Are you going to be okay?" she asked. "We need to decide what we're doing today."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alba clenched her jaw as she moved closer to Brendan. It was hard to see her friend act this way, especially since he was back to the "I'm never going to be okay" spiel. She had really thought he'd be past that by now. But she could see that wouldn't be the case. If anything, he probably wouldn't be able to get the right kind of help unless he was back in Arizona.

For now, that left Alba to be there for Brendan. He needed some help and support, and she had promised him she'd be that person. Alba closed her eyes and breathed in. Then, she spoke.

"It's okay," she told Brendan, putting a hand on his shoulder. "We can go find Jonathan. We can look for him, and Candice, and Bryony, and anyone else we can think of. We're different from who we were yesterday, so I'm sure we'll be fine."

Alba looked to Fiyori. She gave the girl a smile.

"Fee, would you like to come with us?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Okay, great," Alba said when Fiyori agreed to travel with them.

Alba walked over and grabbed the rifle and her bag. They had a new ally and new confidence with the rifle. Yesterday had been a bit of a mess with Brendan getting shot by Jae, but at least some good things had come out of it. A new friend, a better understanding with the gun, the kiss-

Alba pushed that one aside. They needed to focus on finding Jonathan and Bryony and whoever else they could think of. There would be time to think of that later, but that was not right now. Alba walked towards the door, pushing the furniture out of the way.

"Let's go."

((Alba Reyes continued in The Girl Who Owned an Island))
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Staff Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply