Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hemochromatosis; Day 5, tagging VoltTurtle and Cicada Days~
Topic Started: Feb 6 2017, 05:23 PM (865 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Raina Rose continued from Demons Dance Alone))

Raina hadn't slept.

She had known this would happen, at some point. She hadn't brought any of her insomnia medication with her on the trip, because of course she hadn't. They were only supposed to be gone for an afternoon. The first few nights had been bad, waking while it was still dark and trying to lay still and quiet and think until morning. Last night had been awful. She'd stumbled across the bodies at the radio tower after storming away from the warehouse, and the sight of those two senior girls had been burned onto the back of her eyelids as she tossed and turned fruitlessly in her makeshift hideaway for the night. Sleeping outdoors was also terrible; she was glad nobody in her family had ever been a camping enthusiast.

So here she was, the past few days showing on her face and hair and clothes, groggy brain hounding her to keep moving. The sight at the bottom of the helipad was as bad as what she had found in the radio tower. The sight up top was worse. She had messed up while straightening her hair once, and the burnt smell had clung to the bathroom for days. The same kind of smell lingered around the charred pile on top of the helipad, only slightly lessened by the lingering damp.

Raina sat in the shadow of the decrepit helicopter to shelter from the wind, not trusting it enough to try climbing inside. She wasn't crying, but she was definitely sniffy, knees drawn up to her chest with her arms around them. "Biggest brain in Cochise", ha. Thanks, Johnny. Look at her now. She had no plan, no allies, and a grenade. She should have traded for Johnny's radio - at least she could try to fiddle with that and figure something out.

He hadn't followed. She wasn't sure if she was glad of it or not.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Wha- oof!"

Raina instinctively jerked back, almost knocking her head on the helicopter, but the person who had latched onto her head like a facehugger had no ill intent. As soon as it processed that Penelope had somehow found her, Raina promptly squeezed her back as tightly as she could.

"Penny, oh my god!"

A few stray tears squeezed out of her eyes and oozed down her cheeks, but she was smiling in spite of herself. She couldn't quite breathe, but that was okay. Five days in, and all of a sudden she actually felt okay for the first time here, and sweet jeezy, Penelope needed a shower. Raina probably didn't smell so great, herself.

"I'm okay, I'm fine... I missed you too." She spotted Ben over Penelope's shoulder, hanging back awkwardly. She spared him a short wave with one hand before returning to cling to Penelope again. "How..." she almost asked "how are you," but then she remembered Samuel and Cristóbal and Alessio and thought better of it. "What have you been doing?"
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((skipping at Cicada's request))

Raina was afforded a brief moment where she could actually breathe before Penelope latched on again twice as tightly. "Egh... it's fine. I got a little sleep. Back up a sec though, what's up with this plan of yours?"

Penelope had a plan. Raina had... well the bare bones of a plan. Maybe they could meld their respective sorta-plans together to form the one true megaplan, savior of the universe, punisher of evildoers. In the name of the moon, and all that.

She eased herself back from Penelope as much as possible while keeping her arm around her friend's shoulders. "Come on, out with it."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, that was a letdown.

Okay, that was being uncharitable. Penelope had strong convictions and strong morals, and the urge to write her plan off as Sam or some other friend's death hitting her even harder than first thought was a disservice to those morals. Raina knew her misgivings must show in her expression, so she hurried to voice her thoughts.

"Okay, well, you know that's not exactly what I wanted to hear. But-" She held a hand up quickly to stay any objections. "But... look. I've been working on a bit of a plan myself, alright? I am looking for an escape plan. I've got some ideas." She swallowed, glanced at the nearest camera. Ideas alone weren't enough for her to lose her head, she was banking on that. She took a deep breath.

"Look. I'm not going to give up on looking for a way out. But if- if it comes to that..." Even voicing the option sent a shudder through her. For five days now, she had been repeating it to herself: she wasn't going to die here. She would think of something.

She didn't intend for it to come to that. Not just yet. Not ever.

That was without even getting into all the holes Raina could poke in the plan. The irony of it all was that every new person who joined in was another chance for things to go wrong. All it would take is for them to listen to the announcements, to really stop and think about the fact that Penelope was proposing mass suicide, and go "That's not going to be me." It'd probably be difficult to convince more than a handful at any one time, and by the time only a handful remained... well, it was probably safe to assume everyone who got to that point was playing for keeps. It wasn't feasible. She could see that clearly, eyes free of Penelope's film of idealism.

"If it comes to that then... then we make our point. Go out with our middle fingers up, and all that." But for now, she could agree with Penelope, because she didn't need a lecture on morals. She could agree, so maybe the people behind the cameras would disregard her ideas for just one more day.

She would think of something.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina didn't know much about Ben, aside from the fact that he was on the baseball team with Cris. While the though of her boyfriend sent a sudden pang through her, it didn't have any real bearing on what Ben was bringing to the table, or whether he was trustworthy. He looked like he'd been through the wringer, and Penelope seemed to have absorbed him into the friendship circle that just sort of floated through time and space wherever she went, so he could probably be classified as "mostly harmless" for now. Harmless was far from synonymous with helpful, but Raina supposed you had to take what you could get. She'd spent four days with Johnny, after all.

Speaking of which, she supposed they should go back and collect him. She hadn't originally intended to spend a whole day alone, but she had needed space and time to think. She hadn't intended to just leave him to his own devices forever though, God only knew what he would get up to. Possibly some creepy fantasizing about Caedyn Miller, given the last thing she'd seen and heard about that.

"I'm alright on food and water, I think. I actually met someone yesterday - Lili Williams, you know her? She said she had extra stuff, since she'd been with-" Raina stopped short as she remembered.

Had she been satisfied to hear that Darius was dead? Not really. But she hadn't been upset either.

"She was with Darius, before he went running off. We saw him too. Oh, and 'we' is Johnny and me, we were together..." Raina shook her head. Her thoughts were getting crisscrossed. "What I'm saying is, I guess we should go back and pick Johnny up, and then maybe find Lili and her stuff. She offered it to us, anyway. If we all pool our resources, it should be enough."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Well," Raina started to reply, before a shout in the distance interrupted her. She glanced around in confusion, but was unable to locate the source of the yell. Best not to think too hard about it.

She shook her head. "Johnny was at the warehouse when I left. I... after dealing with Darius, I needed some time to cool down. Johnny probably didn't go far." Where was there for him to go, without her guidance? They had agreed that she was in charge. "Lili said her things were in the library. I don't know how much good it would do, but more supplies is always better than less."

Raina stood and dusted herself off for the little good it would do. "I don't have my heart set on following her or anything, but if we don't have any other plans..." She trailed off with a shrug.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina nodded along absently with Penelope's brainstorming. "Someone did ring the bell, on the first day. We heard it in the asylum. Didn't go to investigate, though." That was when Scarlett and Beaks had gone running off. The last time she had ever seen Scarlett.

Had it been the bell that attracted her killer?

Penelope's request brought her back. "Yeah, sure, I don't mind if you wanna chill or something. Don't go climbing in the helicopter though, it's rickety." Ben chimed in, offering to keep watch while she and Penelope rested. She shrugged. "I'm not going to be getting any sleep, but thanks."

Raina eyed Ben up while Penelope got comfortable. "What about you?" She asked finally. "Any big ideas?" She assumed not, since he hadn't offered before now, but maybe he was just overbearingly polite.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raina spaced out a bit, let her mind wander. She didn't nod off, much as she wanted to. Penelope managed, at least. Ben didn't have anything to add and neither did Raina, for the time being.

Their moments of peace didn't last, though. Penelope started with a gasp, before very deliberately going still. Bad dream? Raina hoped that was all it was. Nightmares sucked but Penelope coming down with something would be worse. She caught Ben's eye and nodded, giving Penelope's shoulder a squeeze.

"Hey, how you doing?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, we're fine," Raina said, catching the hint that Penelope didn't really want to discuss whatever had gone through her unconscious mind. She stretched, all ready to suggest that they pack up and go grab Johnny from wherever he'd settled in near the warehouse, when Ben spoke up again. About his sister.

Raina didn't finch, not quite. Not on the outside. She hadn't thought about her family in a while. Someone would have told Cameron that she was missing by now. He'd probably be on his way home, or already there. His finals would have just ended. Leila had thrown some hissy fit that morning, something about Raina taking too long in the bathroom getting ready and how she needed to do her makeup, like a thirteen year old needed to even wear that much makeup.

She wondered how her parents were holding up. Work wouldn't have come to a stop just because some doctors' kid had gone missing. People were still getting sick and hurt in the real world, just like in their little fantasy bubble of violence here.

"...You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, though." She said, quietly. At both of them. She didn't want to talk about her family, or the things that went through her head when the doubt bubbled up.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, yeah, we should go get Johnny eventually. Who knows where he'll wander off to."

Ben was starting with the awkward thousand-yard stare again, so it might benefit them to get moving even if they didn't rush back to the warehouse. "Can't believe I'm saying this, but some exercise out in the fresh air sounds pretty good right now." Raina grinned a little, nose wrinkling slightly in mock disgust.

"Do you feel well enough to get up and walk around?"
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah yeah, rally, go team. et cetera. Raina managed to smile a bit even though she was dead tired and dying for a coffee and... she needed to come up with some hyperbole that didn't involve dying. She wasn't dying here.

"Circumstances," she said in agreement with Ben. That was about what it boiled down to. That was what they had to rise above.

She would think of something.

((Raina Rose continued in Haemolacria))
Characters

Others

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Helipad · Next Topic »
Add Reply