Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
If We Could Have Tomorrow in Technicolor; Open, Day 5
Topic Started: Feb 3 2017, 10:02 PM (920 Views)
Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
(Benjamin Lichter continues from Calvin and Hobbes)

It was strange, how sometimes you didn't know much you cared about someone, until they were gone. Then it hurt. When Ben had first heard that Irene was dead, well, he hadn't taken it well. Quite badly, in fact. Because Irene, she was more than just a face in the crowd, or the face of a corpse. She was, or had been, a friend.

And he hadn't known she'd been on the trip too.

He'd broken down when he heard her name. He'd already lost count of how many times he'd cried while on the island, but he hadn't cared. He had been outside the asylum, having a pee, when the announcment hit. He'd tensed up in worry, but part of him thought he didn't need to, that the last few announcements hadn't been an issue, and that this one would be the same. He had been wrong. He had barely managed to get back to where he had slept before the tears came.

Day four on the island had been uneventful. He'd seen people from afar, heard gunshots, avoided a corpse or two, etc., but nothing that he wasn't getting used to. At least, that was what he had hoped, following the third time in a row he'd been startled and had almost bolted. It was the "almost": He'd flinched like a startled cat, but he hadn't run. Any ragged laugh or sob that had escaped him didn't count, as long as he hadn't run. He hadn't run, no he hadn't. He had been in control. "I am in control!" he had told himself, and he had believed it. And since he had been in control, he had reasoned that he could go search for Maxim in places where he hadn't looked yet. Such as in the asylum! Which had been nearby, such luck!

It was telling that the first thing he had done was choose a room and bar the door the best he could. He had slept on the floor that night, for lack of a bed.

It had been uncomfortable, but the night hadn't lasted forever. When the need to pee arose he had waited until he couldn't ignore it any more, then slipped outside. There had been no such care coming back in, though it hadn't seemed to matter. No one had followed him.

After the crying came the silence. And after that, the rising awareness of just how uncomfortable the floor was. Then the restlessness, the unwillingness to sit still. The grief had still been raw, but there's only so long a person can face it head on. It lingered, and would return later, but there were other things to tend to: survival, hunger, fear.

Life went on, as bitter as it had become.

Ben walked up the first flight of stairs he found. He had a plan in mind: Work your way from the bottom to the top. Search every knook and cranny, but don't get spotted yourself. Remember to go slowly. Listen behind you and ahead. Find Maxim, and get the hell out of here.

Slowly, pressing himself against the wall, he ascended the staircase. One foot, then the next. "Easy does it," he murmured softly. Then he heard a voice, coming from the corridor at the top of the stairs. He froze. It sounded like it was talking to someone. It sounded calm, friendly. He didn't recognise it, but it didn't sound like Maxim. His hands shook. Did he dare? No! It was too risky! So, careful to not make a sound, he turned, and slowly started walking back down the stairs.
Edited by Malloon, Mar 1 2017, 06:30 PM.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:
Chloe Bruges [ - ] - You'll find her doing math.
Joseph "Joey" Quintero - You'll find him writing speaches.
Keith Rogers - You'll find him out with his gang.

In the unlikely event you want to use my characters...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Two. Two voices. Then walking. Ben resisted the urge to run and, after a moment, the walking stopped. He let out a slight sigh, then continued. He was already halfway down the stairs. If he kept this up, he would be gone before they even knew he was there. His left hand trailing along the wall, he continued descending.

He was near the bottom when he heard someone approaching the top of the stairs. Alarmed, he caught his heel on the edge of a step, which unbalanced him and made him stomp his boot slightly on the next one. His left hand shot forward, sending a painting that hung on the wall swinging. "No no no no no no please please please..." he expressed silently, while freezing in place, the painting slowly coming to a standstill. He hoped against all hope that no one had heard that.
Edited by Malloon, Mar 1 2017, 06:58 PM.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Ben didn't dare to move. The figures were at the top of the stairs now, talking, but he didn't know if they could see him, it was so dark. His plan hadn't failed yet - he hadn't been spotted, technically. They couldn't be sure that he was there.

At least, that was what he thought. Then one of the two - a guy - hollered down the stairs at him. Ben jumped, and almost ran out of fright again. "Hey, we're not playing," said the guy, "so we'd like it if you weren't either! Is that cool with you?"

"Playing?" thought Ben. Was that what people were calling it? And they weren't... playing?

Well, good to know. Ben stayed put for a few more seconds, then realized that he should either answer them or go. He couldn't just stay standing there in the dark waiting for them to go. Because that wasn't going to happen. So he turned around. There were indeed two people there, at the top of the stairs - and one of them was holding a club or something.

"Run! They're armed and in a group! Run, you idiot!", came the inevitable outcry in his head. But something stopped him doing that. He hadn't talked to anybody all day, and only to the girl with the eye-patch the day before. He wanted to talk to people. He felt... lonely.

So he said the first thing that came to mind: "Who-- who are you?"
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
"It's Hannah and Noah," came the reply, this time from the other person, a girl, probably Hannah. "Yeah, what she said," the guy who was probably Noah chimed in. "Yeah, that's who we are. Who are you?"

Ben didn't really know a Hannah or a Noah. So that didn't help. But he didn't remember any Hannah or Noah from the announcements (though that didn't say much) and he was already talking to them, and he could run at any time and - oh god the girl was armed too!

Breath. "Huuuuuuuhuu." Breath. "Huuuuuuuhuu." "Focus, Ben", he thought. They weren't attacking him. They weren't being aggressive. They weren't even being rude. Just be nice.

"I'm, uh, Ben. Ben Lichter. I-- I don't know you, sorry. Please don't come closer. I can see you're armed and I don't know you, so... please. I'd like to talk, though."

Ben gulped. Compromise. That was the best he could do. He hoped he hadn't just wrecked his chance at a conversation.
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Hannah said she would talk! Relief washed over Ben because of that - then Noah said a few words to her, and stepped out of sight. Ben's eyes narrowed. His inner voice had immediately begun voicing suggestions of where he might be going and what he might be doing, and Ben couldn't help but find some of them plausible. Such as the one that wondered if there was another way downstairs, so that Noah might sneak up from behind, while Hannah distracted him and...

Ben shook his head vigourously a few times. "No!", he thought. "It's that kind of paranoia that drove away the girl with the eye-patch."

And has kept you alive until now.

"Oh, shup up," he grumbled aloud. The voice didn't reply.

So instead he turned to the girl, fixed her the most welcoming smile he could muster, though he wasn't sure she could see it, and spoke: "Thanks. I've been a bit lonely these past few days. How... er, how are you? I mean, apart from... you know."
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Hannah took a few steps back. Then she said she wasn't great. Ben's smile receded. That was... well, what kind of answer could he have expected to a question like that? Even disregarding the being stuck on a island with killer classmates - chances were, the answer people here would give would always be "Not great.", or worse.

"Uh, right.", he replied, and took a tentative step back up the stairs. "I guess no one is. Here. So... what have you been doing these past few days?"
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
"Oh. Ok. I understand", said Ben as Noah left. "Thanks anyway." They didn't really want to talk with him. They had just tried to be nice. He hung his head. Was it his fault? He hadn't been twitchy and paranoid, like with the the girl with the eye-patch. Perhaps... perhaps they were being careful, like he was. And since they had each other, they didn't feel as lonely as he did.

Ben envied them.

He turned around again and trudged down the stairs, a glum expression on his face. He would get back to the only thing that might resolve his loneliness - finding Maxim.

Speaking of which... He turned back to Hannah. "Hey, um, you haven't seen a guy called Maxim, have you? Maxim Kehlenbrink?" They might be done talking, but she could still answer this question, right?
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Ben nodded, though no one could see him. "Thanks!" he replied. It had been worth a shot.

Then he turned, and continued on his way.

(Benjamin Lichter continues in The show starts at five. Bring snacks.)
Edited by Malloon, Mar 20 2017, 08:46 AM.
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Regular Wards · Next Topic »
Add Reply