Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Idiot Launch; The morning before the Fourth Announcement
Topic Started: Jan 30 2017, 03:11 AM (1,194 Views)
Brackie
Member Avatar
i love him, i love him, i love him, i love him
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Maxim Kehlenbrink continued from Song For a Warrior))

There was something to be said for inadvertent survival. That was how Maxim felt right now - inadvertent.

He hadn't seen anyone for what must have been three days. He was with Benjamin, the good Benjamin, they were traveling together, when suddenly there was a calvacade of shouting on the slopes they had passed by. There was a girl Maxim recognized on sight as Kimiko, a girl who was now a dangerous marauding murderer, and Maxim did the sensible thing, the thing that should have made sense and did so very much at the time, and ran back to where they came. He didn't stop, no matter how much his chest heaved and his unused muscles burned, but eventually Maxim returned to the place from whence they came and suddenly he was alone. Benjamin was gone.

And he had all that time to think. Just think about what Cristo's death actually meant in the grand scheme of things, what all the other deaths meant as well. They of course meant that people he once shared hallways and classes and altercations with no longer existed, but it also meant, for every name on that announcement, there was one less monster going for his head.

As long as Maxim told himself that, everything would be fine.

So that was why he hid. That was why he stayed in the Dormitories until the voices stopped, then changed to another location, until that location was consumed by voices. He was alone with his thoughts, which is how he liked it. With all the external factors removed from the equation of Maxim, the margin of error reached near zero. But there became a point when his thoughts stopped becoming helpful and started becoming intrusive.

First he was rounding his own thoughts. Nothing new was coming. No plans, no entry point, nothing. Maxim didn't know why - he was smart, wasn't he? Why wasn't his mind racing with the possibilities? Why wasn't he coming up with a perfectly new prospect each hour, like he managed to do when he was with Ben or Lilli or Ben or the two girls from the very first day? If he could think them amongst the droning whimpering idiots who still remained alive, why was his mind now destroying itself trying to come up with anything, just anything?

Worse yet, he was constantly thinking about Cristo. About how even though had obviously done something wrong, done something to warrant his death at the hands of a long aforementioned marauding murderer, and it was his own blöd fault he was dead, that they were never going to speak again. For every situation he encountered and wondered "what would Cristo do here?", there would be no answer because the world would never know because Cristo was dead and the marauding murderer got a weapon for it.

The sun was setting on Day 4 when those thoughts entered Maxim's mind, and without warning his vomited the contents of his stomach onto the front of his clothes.

Even though he was alone, a knot twisted in his stomach as he sat there in the ward, covered in his own bile and puke. The knot was not from the pain that had influenced the reaction in the first place, it was from the shame. He looked disgusting. He looked like a disgusting little brat who had yet to reach Kindergarten. He looked like he belonged among the dead already, not like he deserved.

He didn't change from his clothes. He just sat and waited for the sogginess to turn to crust and the smell to cease invading his nostrils and he could do nothing more from that point but fall asleep.

When Maxim awoke, hidden behind the overturned bed, he saw it was light. He hadn't missed an announcement. The light did not match the previous days and their own announcements, which was all the consistency he had remaining in his mind. He collected his belongings, including the meager rations of food he had left and the disgusting bow with its similarly disgusting arrows, and moved on.

The more he walked, the wards turned into corridors, administration. There were no longer beds, but offices. He was where the doctors stayed, not the patients.

The stench was unbearable. Everywhere Maxim moved, he could barely escape it. Eventually, he found a path away, forcing himself into a dead-end office with a single examination bed. The smell remained, but it was distant. Lingering, but distant.

Maxim sat upon the bed, bag curled into his chest. He looked at his feet. They were sore, tired, wishing there would be less to do, less miles to walk before they could sleep. It was ironic, Maxim once enjoyed walking, now it pained him. It was something he no longer enjoyed.

As he sat looking at his feet, he heard a loud voice echo throughout the halls. It was questioning. It was in despair. Maxim wanted to avoid it, not go near it.

But suddenly, his gaze shot up. Someone had opened the door.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brackie
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The girl looked at Maxim. Rather, she scanned him. He felt her eyes look him up and down, from worn out feet to vomit soaked shirt to disheveled flaxen hair. He felt violated by this girl, and she hadn't even done anything. Their eyes caught. The intensity gnawed a pit in Maxim's stomach as he sat there, just wanting to disappear again.

That was before he even took in the baseball bat hanging in her hand.

His eyes narrowed. He did not like to jump to conclusions, but there was something off here. Like he was in danger. Like this girl was a danger to him, even though it did not look that way at first glance. He had spent several days fending off the all encompassing stench of loneliness that his reaction was probably justified in his own mind. When the last person he saw before this girl was Kimiko Kao, who had since gone on to kill even more people, it behoved Maxim to think responsibly, especially when this person was an unknown variable.

But now there came several more. There was a shouting in the distance. Nobody Maxim recognized, although given the scarce amount of people he even knew and cared to remember from Cochise that was not nearly saying anything. And yet, the two in that office remained silent, staring at each other.

The more she just stood there, staring at him, before losing his gaze to the voice in the distance, the more Maxim realized how little control he had here. He needed control, control over what he could do and how he could do it, in order to survive, but with this girl here with dominion left him without choice. She stood there with the reigns.

Then the announcements came. Many more dead, but all the names he knew were absent. Lichter, Lili, Fields, all alive and all lacking a murder to their names. It was easy to pretend, even to himself, that the names that waifted by did not mean anything, especially if those names were of his friends, but even a list of names with no faces to match did nothing to soothe the roaring knot that threatened to consume his stomach.

Maxim scratched his face. Felt little follicles of hair scraped under his fingernails around his jowls and mouth. He waited for the confirmation that he didn't have to get up and run, at least not from the collar around his neck, and when that passed, he let out a sharp exhalation.

It was then the girl started to talk to him. Or rather, at him. She held no equity in her voice, nothing that suggested he would be treated with any of the same kindness that was extended to him by Benjamin or Lili, or even the fleeting false sincerity of Nadia. She was an officer, digging for answers.

But answers Maxim truly had no idea of.

"I... I am sorry, I do not know what you mean by... Scottish cowboy?"

He felt stupid, like there was some intricacy of the English language he was still missing, even at this late point in his life. But he followed his own question up.

"Do you need... help?"

Maxim had no intention of helping her. But he needed a leg up.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I can't sing but I wrote you a song

Wrong notes but the melody's so clear

When I'm lost, I'm still close to gold

cause I found my treasure in you

Brackie
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And Maxim was standing over her body as the thumb came down.

He was already thinking of ways to leave without getting into danger when he heard the hit. It sounded like a piece of wood hitting a bag of meat, like a particularly good special effect. Being the particularly intelligent individual he knew himself to be, he put everything together and realized that the girl who had come in before was probably now attacking someone, or something. For all Maxim knew it was something. She could have been letting her bat meet the corpse of one of the many bodies hiding in the area, but lingering in the air. But then it happened again, and again, and again, and the voices became louder, and suddenly it wasn't just her voice. Someone was begging for her to stop.

There were two options Maxim could have taken as he stood there in the hallway, having vacated the office. He could have run, like he'd been doing for days now. He could find another place to hide. He could stick to the plan that had so far managed to take him four days into this game, a plan that had an endpoint but was still a plan nonetheless, a plan had structure. But what it didn't have in his future was food, something he was running low on. He had probably one of those disgusting bars left and probably even less water, all the foreign weight in the bag belonged to the bow.

So he tried to rationalize the other option, even though he didn't want to. He could find out what was going on, why this girl was attacking someone, why she wanted to end his life, or at least that's what he assumed her endgoal was here. He could help her in her goal, or at least pretend to purely from the fear of being next, and get whatever remained of his food. Or he could save this boy, whoever he was, even if he didn't know him - he would be so grateful that he would offer food, and possibly seal an ally. An ally that would never turn on him, because he saved his life, and even if he did turn on him this was an ally who was so weak he could not overpower a girl with a bat. What harm would he do to Maxim?

But that was not how he stayed alive, was it? He did not stay alive for those three days by depending on others, others whose projected endgame differed drastically from his own. So he could rule out that option.

That last option was a no go. The first and second options within this second option though...

They, of course, depended on his own theorized outcomes coming true.

And long after he made his decision, he realized he'd made the wrong one.

As he walked towards where an open door lay, he felt the force of the gunshot echo throughout the building, but particularly deafening in this hall. Were this back in his real life, he would have covered his ears, but here he had no such luxury. He needed to stay alert, in spite of the ringing, but beyond that he could hear the silence followed by the collapse of a body. Maxim weighed the options. All the logical outcomes. The one that made the most sense is the one he arrived on, and in spite of all his intentions to run he knew he had to see what happened here and who was dead. He turned the corner and saw the last seconds go down.

Along with the girl's body.

No, scratch that, there were two bodies there. But not in the conventional sense. One was the girl. The other was a bruised and bloodied but still very much living body of the one who had to have been pleading for her to stop. A boy he did not know, holding a gun in his hand. Were this a story, it would be smoking, but there was no smoke. Just the powers of deductive reasoning being applied here enough to know what went on here.

Maxim stared at them for several seconds, although for all Maxim knew it could have been close to a minute, before choosing his words.

"Do you think she's dead?"

Maxim did not care at the moment. He would have cared had he known her, but he did not know her.

He wanted whatever remained of her food, though.

Brackie
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The other boy had no response. Typical. It probably should have been obvious, but he wanted to make sure anyway.

Maxim looked down at the other boy, laying blue on the ground. It was amazing how the tables must have turned here. Were this not the precarious situation it was, Maxim would want to hear about how it happened, although why it happened seemed to be just as questionable.

Without missing a beat, Maxim scooped down and begun rifling through Junko's belongings. Food was the main goal, water too, but on the off chance she had something he could use to ward people away? Even better.

Brackie
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The boy searching Junko's bag was not having much luck.

He deigned to even register the other boy as he left, with Junko's bat in his hands. Maxim was not the most worldly man, but he could figure out what had happened here just by analysis alone. Junko tried to kill him, and the fact that Jeremy didn't kill Maxim where he stood told him he was nothing but a defender of himself. He was no malcontent, or vicious psychopath, but someone probably as scared as himself. There was a part of Maxim that couldn't blame Jeremy for what he'd done. But the fact still remained a dead body, freshly delivered, lay on the floor next to Maxim and he was still quite disturbed by that fact.

But he busied himself with the contents of her bag.

To Maxim's great disappointment, there was barely anything else in there as far as gathering a weapon went. There was no gun, or bladed weapon, or anything to act as a deterrent. There was what looked like a small hammer, nestled in the corner of the bag, which Maxim retrieved gingerly. He held it in his hands, examining it from several angles, before sliding it into the waistband of his pants. He continued another search before deciding, to his reluctant dismay, that this truly was all the girl had.

But she had more than just a pitiful weapon. She had food, water, and one of almost everything else Maxim himself already had. In fact, there seemed to be a bounty of bread tucked up nicely in the corner, as though she didn't want it. As someone who had been so vigorous and careful with his own rationing, why would someone spurn such a plentiful food source? It didn't make sense to Maxim. He was never in the habit of analyzing the dead unless they were spectacularly good at writing musicals and he wanted to know why, but this bizarreness stuck to him for whatever reason.

Still, everything Junko had that Maxim wanted to carry or consume in the near future was now his. He took the time to delicately place it all from what was one her bag to what was now his. He wouldn't have to worry about neither food nor water for a long time, at least as long as he remained sensible in the face of despair. Not a feeling he expected to feel any minute now, but Maxim didn't know what the next morning would bring.

What was there to do now? He seemed to be the only living person around for quite a reasonable distance. He could check these bodies, see if their bags were still on them, find more food, perhaps finally treat himself to something nice like he felt he deserved. It sounded nice in theory, but he could still feel their stench in the air. Near those bodies was not a location he wanted to occupy right now, lest he lose his lunch once more. But what else could he do? His modus operandi demanded he stay put in this location until someone else came or until it became unfit to keep himself here via explosive asphyxiation.

Maxim furrowed his brow.

Das hat für mich soweit geklappt. Warum das ändern?

With that in mind, he picked up his bag and took himself back down the hallway to the room he was discovered in. He saw the bed, and felt a familiar sense of comfort. Closing the door behind him, making careful sure to lock it this time, he relaxed himself.

This would be his sanctuary, if only for the time being.

((Maxim Kehlenbrink continued in Another Story Must Begin))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Doctors’ Offices · Next Topic »
Add Reply