Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Death Is The Only Freedom...; (Private for now)
Topic Started: Jan 17 2017, 11:58 AM (1,008 Views)
CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Icon!
[ *  *  * ]
[Lili Williams continued from Demons Dance Alone.]

It wasn't leaving the warehouse that was bad. It was figuring out what to do after.

She didn't feel right about going straight to the Library. Natalie would probably be mad at her, if she was still there, and there was also a good chance that her hunter was still stalking the grounds. Even if neither of them had been there, it was entirely possible that another hostile group had started taking up residence in there, like a bunch of raccoons. What was a pack of raccoons called, anyway? A murder? No, that was crows. A flock? More birds. Why was she thinking about birds?

The air smelt of seagulls. Could have been that. She spent the rest of the day parading around behind buildings and through ruins, trying to stay out of sight, looking for left over food scraps and chasing seagulls. Eventually, they led her to the base of a cliff, where she found a corpse. Nothing work taking. Besides, she didn't want to get Su's shoes dirty.

By the time the sun was starting to set, Lili was starting to feel lonely, cast aside by the rest of the world, left to rot in a garbage bin on the side of the road. Or maybe she was just hungry. She couldn't really tell anymore. Lili was just tired, and her body was screaming at her for rest. In the end, she hid out in the slopes, hiding in a ditch. Some bugs crawled around her, so she set her sweater down to keep the grass off her back. Sleeping under the stars felt oddly meditative, like gazing off into infinity. At the same time, it was good because it took her mind off of smoking.

Morning came, and a speaker hidden in some bushes nearby began to rattle off names again. Lili perked up, listening for anybody she knew or any repeat offenders from the days before. Even though everyone had felt so far away the day before, only visible very distantly, she was drawn back to her friends by that same solitude.

"Darius Van Dyke finally shut up after William McKinley put a bullet in his brain."

But how could that be? Wasn't he just right next to her, dragging her sorry ass all across the island for no reason other than to show her a corpse? Now he was the corpse. He became what he so desperately wanted to find. It confused Lili so much that the rest of the announcement bounced off of her ears, falling flat onto the ground. He was there, and now he wasn't. She wasn't sure she understood.

On the plus side, though, now she couldn't feel bad about taking his stuff.

She started off toward the library. There were no more seagulls left to chase, nothing left to distract herself from the rumbling in her belly. She needed some kind of food, anything to put some more fuel in her. To Lili, that meant getting her stuff back, even if it meant possible danger.

Besides, she didn't really have any plan to this thing. Winning required killing someone. Losing required dying. She didn't like either prospect, so she figured she'd take things as they came.

As suddenly as she had started off for it, the library came into view. The same plain building it had been two days before. Looked a bit more weathered, strangely enough. Lili approached the doors calmly, scanning for anybody around. Nope, everything seemed in order. Just the door, the dark interior, a girl with a shotgun, some paper on the gro-

Wait.

Lili flinched back, slipping and falling on the wet grass. She landed upright, looking like the fool she was. The girl had a clear shot, whoever she was - without her glasses, Lili couldn't even tell from this close up. All she could do was smile, look nice enough not to kill, maybe rattle off a one liner or two, and hope for the best.

"You startled me," she said, as she began to cough violently into her sleeve.

Great.

Nice fucking last words, genius.
~~~~~ "We were wrecks before we crashed into each other."

NOW: V7

SOON: V7

DEAD: V6

MAYBE: V?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Icon!
[ *  *  * ]
No wait, hold on, I'm not dead.

In fact, they seemed to be good people! Very nice to her, almost happy to have her, in fact! More than she could have asked for, more than she ever could have hoped for given that she managed to attract the attention of not one, not two, but three other students. None of whom she recognized. None of whom had any reason to be as nice as they were to her. She still felt dizzy from the fall. So many voices from so many directions. A safe zone, apparently. Girl with the shotgun was named Kissy, apparently. Weird, but that was okay. The sound of a safe zone was music to Lili's ears, though. Like a hippy commune or a utopia somewhere out in the country, it was an idea she could get behind.

"I'm okay, am okay," she responded, moving her hair out of her eyes, "My butt hurts a bit, but I think 'm good."

Nice and structured, better than all the aimless wandering both her body and her mind had been doing the past few days. The boy looked kinda nervous as he walked out from behind the two girls. A bit quiet too. Weird, but better than Darius and his blabbering.

Then Kissy mentioned the bags, and Lili sat up straighter.

"That's exactly what I came over for, actually!" Lili said, smiling cheerfully as she picked herself back up and dusted off her knees, "Three of them, right? Belonged to me and my friends before someone nasty scared us away from here a couple days ago."

Her ears rang faintly. High 'A' natural. Sounded kind of shrill when she played it on the flute, almost wrong, like it didn't belong on the instrument. Made about as much sense to her as the process of formulating sentences that actually made sense.

"I'm guessing you guys found them, then?" She asked, trailing off into whispering the longer she spoke, "I mean, duh, there's no other way you'd know unless you guys were mind readers or something, but unless I hit my head really hard sometime yesterday then I doubt that's real or something."

She laughed awkwardly, touching her index finger to the side of her head.

The important stuff, Lili. Appeal to their good nature.

"I haven't had anything to eat or drink in a day, so, uhm, sorry if I'm a bit kooky."

...kooky?

Yup, that settles that. I've lost my mind.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Icon!
[ *  *  * ]
They didn't seem to notice how Lili was feeling. How she was - or wasn't - thinking. Good, all the better for her. She just needed to go inside. Lili muttered her thanks and walked over into the Library. In a way, it felt like returning home, more than any other place in Spiderland did. The only other area she had spent more time with was the bridge, and there was no way the bridge could be a home for anyone today, given its inclusion in the danger zone.

Lili found her bags behind the door. Her eyes lit up, and she practically dove into her own bag. She pulled out a loaf of bread and a bottle of water, tearing a decently sized chunk out of the loaf. It was an odd time to find a sudden appreciation for bread, but the sheer amount of texture the air pockets on the inside of the piece had was enough to savor for a long time. A few sips of water washed the bread down her dry throat, scratchy with a day's worth of wandering.

Nothing was missing from her own bag or the one Darius had, and it looked like very little was missing from Natalie's either; just a few food items. She must've made it out, then. Lili breathed a sigh of relief, happy that nobody had died at the hands of their mysterious hunter (the fact that Darius had died later notwithstanding). There was too much stuff to consolidate into her one bag, but she managed to split the contents of Natalie's between the two remaining. The empty shell was tossed aside, its number facing toward the ceiling.

She turned back to the welcoming party and gave them a tight lipped but sincere smile, stuffing her face with another piece of bread.

There's no rot to spot here.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Icon!
[ *  *  * ]
The other folks were doing something else, talking to each other or something. Lili couldn't really hear them too well, so she decided not to eavesdrop on them anyway. She felt some level of clarity returning to her mind, faster than she expected. It almost felt as if her headache, the same dull pain that had been gradually subsiding since she woke up yet never properly fading away, had gone away completely.

But it still feels kind of odd.

Likewise, her craving for cigarettes was close to gone as well. She hadn't even thought to ask when she first came across the library people, though they didn't seem like the type to smoke anyway. Then again, Lili had been told the exact same thing about herself before, and she knew how that turned out for her.

Finally satisfied with her food, Lili rested a hand on her belly. She felt full for the first time in days. Of course, she had probably overeaten on some level, but it still felt good. No time to pay toward thought, nothing to gain from any worry now. She was on her legs again, as steady as she'd ever been, even if that on its own was never very steady at all.

Lili sighed and closed her eyes, content to spend a few moments to rest.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Icon!
[ *  *  * ]
"Oh, name's Lili," she said, zipping up her bag. Her lips parted to answer the other girl's second question, but she closed them in a tight lipped smile soon after. She wasn't quite sure how she felt about partying up with a bunch of people, especially if that group was bent on pacifism. Sure, Lili hadn't hurt anyone, nor did she have any explicit plans to, but she had reservations about being super open like the library group had been earlier. Even if she didn't have a big, strong weapon, she'd defend herself if threatened.

And yet still, she felt like she was going stir crazy. The new energy in her system had brought her feet back down to the ground, given her a few moments of lucidity. She'd spent a day chasing after a seagull, for Christ's sake. Maybe she wasn't well enough to be left to her own devices. She turned toward her new friend to speak her mind.

"I-"

However, there was something new going on, something more immediate and more dearly concerning. A bookshelf had fallen nearby, and fire was jumping from book to book, incinerating all it came in contact with. Lili's vision rippled with heat lines as she looked toward the orange glow, and she instinctively grabbed her bags and ran back against the wall, pressing her back against it hard enough to scrape her shoulders.

The fire came between her and the exit, blocking their path to the others as well. Lili aimed a glance over toward the other girl. She had her shotgun out, attempting to break a window for a daring escape. Lili smiled, happy that she was in good company. If the two of them made it out of the building alive, she knew that this girl had a good enough head on her shoulders to stick around.

The girl took a few steps backward, stunned by the force of the window. Stronger than she thought it was, evidently. Stronger than it looked to Lili, too. Too tough to topple. The space where her body had been emptied, and a door easily within reach came into view just past where she'd been.

...so much for that good head on her shoulders thing. This girl's just as oblivious as me.

Lili ran over to the door, just behind her ditsy friend, the smoke making it harder to breath, reminding her of what she had struggled so hard to forget and leave behind. She tried not to breath, inhaling a big gulp of what she thought was clean air - the smoke didn't look like it had spread far - and ended up coughing her lungs out, smoke finding its way into her lungs. The other one shouted something - names? - and ran out the door. Lili followed close after, reaching out into the sunlight, survival the only thing on her mind.

Elsewhere, the empty shell of Natalie's bag went up in flames.

[Lili Williams continued elsewhere.]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Library · Next Topic »
Add Reply