Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Think About Your Life; The morning of Day 4, just after announcements
Topic Started: Jan 11 2017, 05:46 PM (958 Views)
Muninn
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
((Bernadette Thomas continued from There Are So May Offices, but Everybody Seems To Be A Patient. Where Are the Doctors?))

Bernadette was quickly developing a hatred for mornings, and it sure had nothing to do with wanting to sleep in a little bit longer. It was, however, related to the unpleasant "wakeup calls" that they had been receiving each morning. Before, on the two other occasions that she'd heard that voice, she hadn't dwelt on the names that had been read off much.

She'd listened, sure. Did the best she could to remember who had been listed and why. She probably wouldn't be able to recall them all, but there were a few names in particular that had stuck in her mind. But aside from that? Hard to put much thought towards them when you're curled up on the floor in pain and trying not to be agitated.

Well, saying it was hard to think about wasn't quite right. Rather, it had been had to set it aside. But back then, she had managed, somehow.

Now, though? She was recovered enough that she could take the "pleasure" of letting every single word register in her mind. And quite frankly, she was pissed.

She wanted to find each and every person who was still around to heard their own name on the announcements. She could have screamed her lungs out at every last one of them until she couldn't speak anymore. She probably wouldn't be satisfied even then.

Bernadette caught herself tightly gripping the gun she had been given. She tried her best to push those thoughts aside. She didn't want to cross that line. Besides, there was something that needed to be taken care of first.

Coleen had taken the announcement, um... well, saying that she was taking it hard would probably be quite the understatement. Bernadette sat down next to her with her back resting against the fence, setting aside her pack and gun. She took a few deep breaths to calm her own emotions before trying to speak.

"..."

Apparently it didn't matter whether or not she calmed herself, because she had no idea where to even start with comforting someone in this situation. Anything she could think of sounded artificial or hollow. Hell, if she'd just blurted out something about hunting down everybody responsible, at least it would have been sounded sincere.

In the end, all Bernadette could manage for Coleen was a hopefully-comforting hand on her shoulder.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V7. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V6 Characters
G31 - Candice Banks (adopted from Somersault) - The Rooftop
G35 - Bernadette Thomas (adopted from Imehal) (Deceased) - Northwest Cliffs

Past Version Characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Muninn
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
She heard a familiar-sounding voice calling out. Rather, since it was calling her by name specifically, it wasn't going to be "familiar-sounding" but instead somebody who she knew personally. Bernadette looked over to the boy that was now running towards her.

Oh, it's you.

Brendan was approaching while holding some kind of gun that looked like you'd have to have seven different permits before you could even express interest in buying one. If you'd described the mental image to her a week earlier, Bernadette would've replied that it wasn't the sort of thing she could picture happening. If you'd described it to her a day earlier, it would've been the sort of thing she was afraid could happen.

Picking herself up off the ground, Bernadette headed over to greet the new arrivals. She felt slightly guilty over leaving Coleen on her own, but in the end she had been unable to be of any comfort to her didn't think that was likely to change anytime soon, so it wasn't as though there were going to be any big problems from that. Honestly, she was more conflicted over leaving her bag and the gun on the ground next to Coleen. Particularly the latter of those things, actually.

She may not have been able to come up with anything to say to Coleen, but she certainly had some words for Brendan.

"You look like you're doing well yourself, Brendan," she said once they were close enough that she didn't need to shout. "Feels like it's been so long... I don't think I've even heard your name since yesterday morning."

Coleen was sitting by the fence. Arthur was off by himself. It was probably for the better that neither of them were close enough to get dragged into this.

"So, anything you'd care to explain?"
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V7. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V6 Characters

Past Version Characters

Muninn
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Under normal circumstances, Bernadette couldn't see herself as the kind of person who would kill somebody. Er, "normal circumstance" would be a rather odd phrase to use when talking about killing people. That was the kind of thing that should by definition be abnormal. To phrase it better, she had trouble imagining a situation in which she would see ending somebody's life as a solution to a problem.

It wasn't that she believed every conflict could be ended with the participants on good terms. Bernadette had spent enough time butting heads against classmates who saw no problem in trampling on others. Sometimes it was necessary to stand up against those people.

But killing them? Permanently ending their life? She couldn't see herself as having the right. Hell, she would have trouble justifying even something more temporary, like beating someone up to get them to back off. But then again...

"Normal" circumstances.

This was not a normal circumstance.

They'd been dumped on an island in the middle of who-knows-where.

A place beyond the reach of the order provided by society.

A dozen or so of her classmates had turned into murderers.

In light of that, maybe it wasn't so much of a stretch to consider a situation where there was no other way.

Maybe tomorrow, it would be Bernadette who saw no choice but to pull the trigger...

"Doing the right thing, is that it?"

Brendan wouldn't kill somebody without good cause, and he was the kind of person who would step in to protect somebody else. That was what Bernadette wanted to believe. It was an obvious conclusion. Last week, she wouldn't have even questioned it.

Then again, last week she would have said "They'd never murder somebody" about just about all of her classmates. That logic had been conclusively proven wrong over the past few days.

Because it was the obvious conclusion of normal circumstances.

"Well, if you say that you were just doing the right thing, I'm sure that must be the case." She gestured at the ground between them.

Towards the gun that Brendan had set by his feet.

"After all, I'm sure that those bastards -- y'know, the ones who kidnapped us... I bet that they're real interested in rewarding the people who are doing the right thing."

V6 Characters

Past Version Characters

Muninn
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Brendan was practically on top of her. Bernadette's first instinct was to push him back, but Brendan had her massively outclassed in terms of size. Trying to open up some space between them through force was straight-up futility. Still, it wasn't the first time she'd confronted some guy who thought he could scare someone into backing down. She would not be intimidated.

"Get away from me. Now."

She couldn't put up with this shit right now. She had one ally who had pretty much shut down completely after hearing the morning announcement. The other one really didn't seem like he was all right, either. Bernadette's own body had spent the past few days strongly objecting to the idea that she might actually do anything.

It couldn't have just stopped at "You've been kidnapped by terrorists and thrown on an island where a bunch of your classmates have gone crazy and want to kill you." No, that would have just been too easy. And now, she had to put up with this?

"If you've found some people who're willing to put up with you, then go with them or whatever. They can be the ones to play conscience for you to ensure you behave. 'Cause right now? I can only handle so much at once, and I'm not going to be able to babysit you all the time to make sure you still care that murder is wrong."

V6 Characters

Past Version Characters

Muninn
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
She had been prepared for Brendan to try pushing her around. The Brendan she used to know probably would have just backed down, but Bernadette had expected that if he'd changed enough that he'd kill someone, he'd be more likely to lash out at her.

Conversely, seeing him act this way now made it seem more believable that he could have murdered someone.

Unfortunately, even though she'd been expecting it and had tried to brace herself against the shove, it wasn't enough. Brendan dwarfed her in size. She still wasn't completely recovered from her endometriosis attack of the past few days. Far from moving towards recovering, her pain was flaring up as a result of the current situation. In the end, knowing that Brendan was going to try shoving her aside wasn't enough for her to be able to keep her footing.

A second later, Bernadette hit the ground. Hard.

Her illness was definitely flaring up now. Her body was sore from where she'd hit the ground, naturally. She was also feeling a pain in her right ankle - possibly a sprain. She really hoped that wasn't the case.

She also had the worst headache she'd ever experienced in her entire life.

Bernadette attempted to get herself up off the ground, but could barely get herself to move. Well, it was probably better not to move until everything was under control.

Shit, still with the headache?

She'd assumed her head was just sore from when hitting the ground, but it was on a different level from everything else.

Okay, you can deal with this. Deep breaths, don't let yourself get agitated.

Just stay calm until the pain falls to a manageable level. She'd put up with worse on a regular basis. Hell, it was like her entire life had been learning how to deal with shit like this. There's no way she wouldn't be able to handle it. She just needed to rest for a little while longer.

It was hard to keep her breathing steady with that pain in the back of her head. Her ability to focus kept slipping.

Breathe in, out. In, out.

Just rest for a little while longer, that should be all she'd need...

G45: BERNADETTE THOMAS - DECEASED

V6 Characters

Past Version Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Northwest Cliffs · Next Topic »
Add Reply