Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rank (Your Own) Characters!
Topic Started: Jan 3 2017, 01:23 AM (2,306 Views)
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Memetic Craig Hoyle > Ivan Kuznetsov > Cody Patton > Liam Brooks > Sean Mulcahy > Actual Craig Hoyle > Felicia Carmichael >>> Jessica Sanders

Finally got a girl I like writing in the form of Coleen. She's not done yet so she's not going on the list but at this rate she might edge out Sean.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ranking my kids. Oh boy.

Quick Ranking, for TL;DR business

Heeeeere we go.

9. Jessica Sanders

This was the easiest one to place. Jessica has all of three threads in V5, the first spanning several in-game days as she and a few friends hole up in an abandoned convenience store, fortifying the place against possible intrusion... which never happens, which is a real downer when you're looking for action. Her story flounders for a little bit before finally waking up just a little too late to escape a danger zone, whereupon her neck explodes. I was never really into her concept either, her interest in playing the bass being hamhocked more than any defining trait I've ever given a character, and I found myself completely unable to do anything with it. I feel she's my weakest SotF character ever, by a wide margin.

8. Felicia Carmichael

And by 'wide margin' I mean I actually enjoyed writing this character. Felicia had a good thing with Rosa Fiametta going and that angle got a few good scenes out of her, and writing her with the Aislyn group was an absolute treat. Looking back, she was experimental and far from perfect, which is no more apparent than when you check the profile which is an absolute mess (I cringe at how I bring up her bisexuality). Still, my first foray into writing a female student went pretty well, I'd say... which is more than I could say for my SECOND attempt. Lookin' at you, Jessica, you miserable failure.

7. Craig Hoyle

Yeah, listen, Craig Hoyle is overrated.

6. Jerry Fury

Jerry Fury in the muthafuckin' hooooooouse! I was super stoked to write this guy all the way from V4, where the popularity of martial artists was running wild. He was always set to be an experiment that took the piss out of certain qualities and tendencies in SotF that I found a little more laughable and in that regard, the experiment was... both a success and a failure. I had fun with Jerry and presenting his story in a way that made it very clear he thought he was all that and a bag of chips, while the world around him may have had... conflicting views on the matter, but also that the world's opinion meant jack shit because he's Jerry fuckin' Fury, y'all!

Oh yeah and his death was pretty good too. You're welcome.

5. Sean Mulcahy

Or "The one where MK took a character trait and decided to see just how far he could stretch it." It's probably my own obsession with all things related to pirates that caused Sean's own infatuation with them to consume the character in his entirety. I remember giving him other interests to try and make the profile more rounded, but failed to give those other interests decent representation. The attempt to write a character who had detached from reality in a friendly, playful way was wonderful and I thought Sean's slow descent into killing had a great start but by the end of it, too many half-joking, half-serious Brook comparisons were starting to be drawn for my comfort. Sean is solidly in the middle of the group for being somebody who had great beginnings to his story and a tragic end, but somewhere near the middle and later-middle he really started to peter out.

4. Cody Patton

Probably goes without saying at this point that Cody was my best V5 kid. Where Sean suffers from comparisons to Brook and 'shipgarden', Cody got away relatively scott-free without hindering connections and comparisons to a previous character of mine (he and Ivan have little in common aside from being good at athletics and having a general taciturn personality). A large portion of Cody's story depended on interactions both planned and actual with his sister Eliza, which I feel turned out for the better once Skraal took over, and it was a very fun angle to work with. Cody could have been even higher on this list, but he was plagued with external issues including partner inactivity and the great board crash. I had come close to giving up on him entirely, but stuck with it and am still pleased with the end product.

3. Liam "Brook" Brooks

Brook is most famous for his longest thread, but there was far more to him than that. Without that early development, Bloodgarden is honestly nothing but its most negative qualities. This guy probably took more of my pregame energy than any other character I've ever handled. Friendships with Jason Harris, Nathan Choultard and Ma'afu... Maf.... Tamagagu... and Maf formed the core of Brook's early story.

He was always intended to snap but Tiffany Baker's death occurred a little too early for the transition to be as smooth as it could have been (probably the most common criticism of Brook) and there's a marked, extremely drastic change in Brook's story and tone. Some people love early Brook and hate Bloodgarden, and I'm sure there's a few weirdos who don't like early Brook and love Bloodgarden, but I like both haves of him and find each necessary to complete the character. He's pretty (in)famous and so is tied to my legacy, and that's enough to put him in this spot.

2. Coleen Reagan

I never intended to write somebody like Coleen, so I owe 15% of the credit for her creation to NAFT, who gave me the writing prompt of a shy, demure girl with some sort of deformity who loves the theatre and has a great singing voice. All of these assemble the basic core of who Coleen was, but I feel I managed to let these traits set and define her without completely taking her over as they had with Sean. Coleen was out of my comfort zone and a total blast to write given she was so fresh and new. I honestly needed to keep her sympathetic in order to keep my heart in her story, and I think I managed that well enough. If you watched her plight and felt for it or wanted for everything to be okay, or to just give her a damn hug, then I did my job. I'll probably never write another kid like Coleen.

1. Ivan Kuznetsov

I'm willing to bet Ivan is my longest character in terms of word count, thread count AND total time spent working on him and his story. Where he's set back by an overabundance of private threads so I could set all of his ducks in a row and be a complete control freak about his story, I don't think it sets him back so much when nearly half of V4 was private anyway (but to make up for it, I made all of my characters in V5 public-only). Greg was a pleasure to work with as well but recognize the story of Ivan and Tabi could have used just a bit more development on Tabi's end. Ivan, however, developed a ton: from wanting to be left alone to knocking Tabi flat and intending to use her as a meat shield, to killing somebody in front of her and eventually seeking to comfort and protect her, his views on this girl he's been forced to drag around in order to save both of their skins change at a rapid pace. On my sliding scale of serious versus silly writing, Ivan is probably my most serious, devoid of any real sense of humor or happy occurrences to balance out the constant flood of people looking to kill him or his girlfriend. He made it further than any other kid I ever wrote and had a shot to win it all, only to fall in what might still be my favorite action scene I've ever written (though Coleen helping to kill Alessio pulls a near second). And that's just about all I have to say about why Ivan is my top-ranked character, for me.

Albert Brady

IT'S CAP'N BRADY MUTHAFUGGAAAAAAAAS! WOOP WOOP!
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply