Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Forlorn and Forgotten Knowledge; Evening, Day 3
Topic Started: Dec 13 2016, 04:00 AM (832 Views)
Aura
Member Avatar
Has seen that which cannot be unseen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Rene Wolfe continued from Let's Awaken, By the Day))

It had been a few hours since her terrifying encounter with Nancy at the shoreline, but Rene still felt shaken up about it. And really, considering that she had been shot at by someone who clearly had every intent to kill, she was pretty sure that she felt justified in not getting over it so quickly. When she was fleeing with Blair, she was looking over her shoulder at nearly every sound, whether it be in the depths of the jungle or in a wide open plain. She just didn't feel safe.

However, with the sun setting, she needed to find a decent shelter for the night, and she had a damn good feeling that Blair needed one too. Blair had been in a pretty bad way earlier that day, and Rene couldn't imagine that a mad dash across the island had done anything positive for her. So priority one was making sure that they could at least find a halfway-decent resting place for the night.

Enter the asylum. Rene hadn't been there since the first day, and the size of the building admittedly intimidated her. Who knows how many people had come up with the same idea and decided to spend the night there. Probably a few. But the opportunity was there, and Rene knew for a fact that there was some decent shelter inside from previous experience. She just needed to find a nice, empty room where they could rejuvenate themselves for another day of staying alive.

The library was empty, that was for sure. But nice? That may have been a stretch. The place was a mess, with broken furniture, toppled shelves, and books strewn about the floor. It didn't take a genius to figure out that they weren't the first people to find this place. Rene could only look out at the wrecked area in front of her with a shocked sense of awe. Was this place this much of a disaster when the got here, or had her classmates actually done this?

Trying to block the ugly image of the surrounding area from her mind, she sat down in one of the still-intact chairs, head in hand.

"Man, this is a fuckin' mess..."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Characters

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well damn. Looks like the library wasn't so lonely after all. Caedyn was someone that Rene knew pretty well, if the definition of "pretty well" was expended to include people that she knew by proxy of the two of them being involved in the same extracurricular club. Actually, that might have been too harsh. Caedyn had always been pretty all right, at least as far as Rene was concerned. But then again, Rene probably would have said that Nancy had been pretty all right back at school too, and she knew how that went once they hit the island.

However, one thing that Caedyn had working in her favor at that moment was that she was offering a refreshing beverage rather than an injection of hot lead, so Rene was more willing to try to be friendly this time around. "Hey Caedyn. " She pointed at the bottle in the other girl's hand. "Nice. I guess someone around here had to raid the liquor cabinet, right?"

She laughed at her own joke. Not a big laugh, just a short, breathy chuckle. She was not in the right shape or mood for a full-bodied belly laugh at the moment. "Nah, I think I'm gonna pass, though. Got too much going on in my head right now to haze it out, y'know?"
Edited by Aura, Dec 15 2016, 09:17 PM.

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"What?" Rene was still a little out of it, so she seemed to be a bit surprised by Caedyn's prying. "Yeah, I guess you could say I'm wating for someone. I had this nice little group with me, but we lost each other this morning, so I guess I'm hiding out here and hoping that they'll find me again."

Hold on...

Rene's back stiffened, shooting her straight into perfect posture as she had a revelation. If Caedyn had been outside, then maybe she had seen Blair or Noah somewhere. Sure it was a long shot, but a minute chance at finding out where her friends had gone had to be better than no chance at all. Still in her alerted state, she turned and looked up at the taller girl.

"Hey, while we're on the subject, have you seen Noah or Blair around? Just wondering."

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh shit. Rene had heard about what happened between Oskar and Jane. Granted, she didn't really have specific details on the event, but the announcements had given her enough of a framework to have the most basic understanding of what went down. Granted, the only thing that she actually knew was that Oskar killed Jane. But hey, since Caedyn knew what really went down, maybe she could fill in some of the blanks for her.

Wait, was she crying now? Oh crap, Rene didn't plan for this. She wasn't much of a comforter. Her first instinct was to try to lighten the mood with a joke, but this probably wasn't an appropriate route to go considering that, you know, people were dead. So new plan, talk about something else, but use a tangent so it isn't super-obvious that she's trying to change the subject.

"Damn, guess I'm not the only one out here with shit luck." She said, resting her elbow on the table and her cheek in her hand. "Everything seemed okay this morning until Nancy showed up and shot up our campsite. My group scattered and I lost track of them. It sucks."

Wait a minute, maybe shifting the discussion to her own problems wasn't the best move. She didn't realize this until after the words had already left her mouth, so she had to play it cool and act like she hadn't just possibly committed something of a faux pas.

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Seeing Blair again was a major relief. When Rene had gotten separated from her and Noah that morning, she had been sincerely afraid that she wouldn't see or heard from them again until one or both of them wound up on the announcements, provided that she even survived that long in the first place. But now the two of them were together again, like some sort of contrived scene in some movie that Rene would never personally watch because it was obviously created solely to win Oscar nominations.

"Hey Blair, good to see you back." She couldn't really help but drop a friendly greeting there. She knew that this was sheer luck, so she was going to make the best of it.

However, it wasn't long after her initial happy reaction that she started to get a less than comfortable feeling. Rene was not exactly what one would call a social expert, but she could sense some tension in the room once Blair and Caedyn started talking to each other. She didn't know if they had run into each other earlier, or if maybe there was some lingering resentment from school, but whatever it was, she really didn't want to have to deal with it. If she could somehow keep things from escalating, that would be ideal.

"So..." She held up both pointer fingers and alternated them between Blair and Caedyn. "I'm kinda getting the feeling that you two have met before. Am I wrong here?"

Man, I hope that wasn't the wrong move.

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Shit.

Rene wasn't too sure what to expect out of Caedyn, but it sure as hell wasn't that. She'd thought that she had been having a pretty crappy time of it, but it had to beat whatever fucked-up shit Caedyn had been dealing with. Damn, now she was feeling bad. And to think that things had actually been going pretty pleasantly up until now.

"Damn, I just..." Rene couldn't really think of a response to that, because holy shit how are you supposed to respond to that, but she did her best. "Sorry about that. Guess now I know why you got the booze"

She attempted to recline in her chair, only to receive an immediate reminder that it was a hardback. Instead, she placed her hands behind her head to give herself something slightly resembling comfort. She glanced for a bit back at Blair, who still looked pretty quizzical about the whole situation. Feeling a twinge of discomfort, she brought up a different, but still relevant line of conversation.

"So hey, since it's getting late, you think it would be fine if we crashed here?" She raised her eyebrows, gave a hopeful grin, and jutted her thumb at the rather decrepit library behind her.

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, that just happened.

Blair just up and walked out, looking pretty pissed while she did so. Then Jasmine showed up, sounding even more confused about the situation than she did. And then for the hat trick, Caedyn walked out too, even more abruptly than she had arrived.

That was probably the best way that Rene could sum up the sequence of events that had just occurred. Once Caedyn had told her story, everything pretty much moved in fast forward. With the room emptying as quickly as it did, and the odd interruption of Jamsine's arrival, Rene wasn't feeling too comfortable hanging around any more. Plus, with her only known remaining ally storming off, she had a good feeling that not dropping that one connection as in her best interest.

Rene turned to Jasmine. "Yeah, I think I'm gonna go now. Nice seeing ya." She pointed out the door before following her own direction and walking out, hoping to catch up to Blair before she was out of range.

There was probably a dead body or something hidden under all those books anyway.

((Rene Wolfe continued elsewhere...))

Characters

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · The Asylum Library · Next Topic »
Add Reply