Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Happy Hour with the Deicide Squad; Evening/Night Day 3; PM for entry please
Topic Started: Dec 12 2016, 08:07 PM (833 Views)
dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Asha was casually lying down on the platform where they'd proudly display the corpses lucky enough to have an open-casket funeral, dressed up in an eternal Sunday's best. She felt comfortable, knowing she belonged there as much as any dead patient. The only thing that still separated her from them now was a matter of mere days; the small formality of making sure her heart had finally stopped trying to prolong a foregone conclusion.

This time, Asha had made sure not to fall asleep. Not out of any real practical concern, the mess they'd piled up in front of the chapel doors would take enough work to shove aside that everyone except Dot would be long awake before any new intruders showed their faces. She really just wanted to mend her pride as a mediocre watchdog. Not like the big, fluffy "boof" dogs, unfortunately. She was more similar to an ankle-biter that happened to have electric teeth. Giving Isabel a chance to sneak up on her and Dot wasn't something she could easily forget or laugh off.

She had plenty of time to think as Dot and Jae snored; staring at the single stained glass window that was the only really interesting thing in the room. Another day spent hiding away, doing nothing in particular. At least this time she'd achieved a net gain of one friend to help feel better. Hell, if she and Dot hadn't walked into the chapel when they had, Jae could easily be dead right now. Or maybe Brendan, Al, or Michael would have been. Any combination of those corpses would be less than ideal. She really did have the ability to help people!

Did that mean she would have almost certainly been able to help Danny if she had been there, then? If she hadn't been content to waste the day and let Iz run away? The exciting events of the day had been able to keep Asha's mind busy and focused on happy morbidity, but the empty hours that passed left her with nothing to do but to picture her friend's face and remember the good times they'd had. Permanently in past tense, now.

It was a relief when Jae finally woke up, chasing away Danny's sadly only metaphorical ghost. "It's time for you to get a watch, nerd." Asha sat up, yawned, stretched, tried to work out the crick in her neck that had developed from lying on something that hadn't exactly been designed with comfort in mind.

"Other than that, it's evening-ish I guess? You guys have been out for a while, now. You'd think that it's been a stressful day or something!" She smirked.
a tribute for the dead and dying

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Well, I've got my health. And Dot. And you, now! Things could be a lot worse, to be honest." It would have been easy to leave it at that, to downplay what Asha had gone through the past two days and jump right to the much more important matter of what the hell had happened to Jae; but he wasn't stupid. He knew her well enough that any attempt to hastily pave over the corpses littering her mental sidewalk would be noticed and unappreciated. Besides, she'd have to explain eventually why she and Dot only had one bag between the two of them.

God, Asha'd been parched for hours, now; but she hadn't been able to bring herself to drink any of her friends' water without their permission. She'd managed to push that thirst to the side for a while, physical discomfort displaced by grief, but watching Jae down his water had brought it back into focus. Oh well.

"Like, when this all started, we - me and Dot - were with some asshole we found on the beach. Wayne. He seemed like a chill enough guy, but during the first night he ditched us when he was supposed to be keeping watch. Took my bag, too. When I woke up it turned out that Iz had found us and had been staring at me for like an hour, so that was fun!" She laughed a little, realizing how scary that had to sound to, well, basically anyone who knew Isabel, or had heard of Isabel, or had a vague concept of an Isabel in the fearful parts of their brains.

"So I've only got one shot for my taser, now, and we're running real low on supplies. Aside from that - well, you heard Danny's name on the announcements." Asha didn't bother to force a fake smile, for once. At least she'd gotten over the whole "crying" bit for the moment; not that numbness was much better.

Posted Image

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Thanks!" Asha called out as she caught Jae's rations. She had to stop herself from gulping the entire bottle of water down within seconds of opening it - she vaguely recalled that being a less-than-healthy thing to do, and even with the extra bag, they still had to try and conserve their supplies. She reluctantly recapped the bottle after taking care of the worst of her thirst, absently wiping her mouth with her sleeve. "We've been splitting the stuff in Dot's bag for the last couple of days, and we're almost out."

"And yeah, it was creepy. Like, real talk? I'm pretty sure the only reason we're still alive is that Iz still thought that I liked her, y'know, because ballet and shit. I, uh, made it pretty clear that wasn't the case, so maybe don't waste any time on saying 'hi' if we run into her again." Asha wasn't gonna say 'please shoot her,' but she didn't exactly care enough to completely remove that option from the table.

"Enough about me, though. You wanna talk about who fucked you up?" It was about time to address the limping elephant in the room, if Jae felt comfortable enough to do so.

Posted Image

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Asha nodded. "Yeah."

She'd had plenty of time over her watch to try and prepare a spiel for Jae; some sort of comforting philosophy for him. 'You're gonna be dead soon anyway. Why spend the rest of your life feeling guilty about a mistake you made? The guy you killed isn't in pain anymore, at least.' Oh, none of that was wrong, but it didn't seem welcome. Blunt, graceless. A pirouette that seamlessly transitioned into a faceplant, directly into a waiting grave.

If Jae didn't want to talk about it, she wasn't going to force the issue, wasn't going to stab at his wounds to make absolutely sure his guilt made its way out in the open for everyone to see and judge. If he asked for help or advice, she would gladly give it, but for now there was only one thing that needed to be said.

"I'm glad you're alive, Jae." Asha smiled.

Posted Image

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There it was.

Asha didn't understand what that last bit had meant - maybe something to do with Samuel, or Vanessa, or Hazel - but in the grand scheme of things, that didn't matter. (Of course, in the grandest scheme of things, nothing mattered, but there was a time and a place for that level of existential shrugging, and that wasn't when you were trying to comfort a friend.)

"You fucked up," Asha agreed. Not a judgement, not an excuse. Just a statement of a fact neither of them were arguing about. "But there's nothing you can do about that now, so you just gotta be extra careful not to cause anyone else pain, alright?" She wasn't really familiar enough with Buddhism to try and think about what redemption Jae could hope for from that angle, so she settled for focusing on making the earthliest difference they could with their stolen time.

"And you don't gotta worry, now. You can trust Dot. You can trust me, obviously. We'll all look out for each other."

Posted Image

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Helluva time to figure that out, man," Asha said, heroically keeping a straight face. Not because it was funny, no; just because it was probably the thing she had least expected to hear at that moment. The same urge that lead to people bursting out in laughter at funerals that didn't feature stories about that one time the deceased drunkenly mistook a bush for a grizzly bear and charged at it, screaming for everyone else to save themselves.

It was pretty fucking tragic to only figure out such an important thing about yourself days before you were gonna die. So much wasted time, so much potential love lost. Asha supposed that she was lucky that she had figured out her sexuality years ago, in comfortable surroundings with supportive family. She could only imagine what Jae was going through right now.

"If you wanna talk about it, I'll listen as much as you need." That would have to do for the moment.

Posted Image

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Alrighty," Asha said with a shrug; not believing Jae but respecting his decision to leave it at that. Not like she could fault the guy for being hesitant to bare his soul in front of the cameras. If he changed his mind about wanting to talk later, she'd still be there for him. Ideally.

These thoughts were driven from her mind immediately when Dot bolted up and started freaking out, shaking and muttering inaudibly. She'd had a fucked-up dream, from the looks of it, and not the fun, humorously demented kind either. More of a creeping mortal dread behind every corner, ghostly faces peeking through your bedroom window at 3 AM type dream; where even if none if it was real, how you felt about it was real and terrifying.

Asha quickly hopped up from her pew and headed to Dot, sitting down beside her. She gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, it's alright. We're all still here, and we're all still okay."

Posted Image

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, Asha was a glad victim of the return of Dot's patented attack hug technique. As long as that powerful weapon remained in their arsenal, things could never get too dark or dreary. The lovely double-edged sword had thankfully worked its magic on Dot, too; and whatever flavor of demons had been hovering over her bedside, they must have been banished in a single flash of good cheer.

Tragically, all hugs eventually had to come to an end. Asha smiled at Dot, after she was released. "At least the pew didn't, like, give you a sliver while you were sleeping? That would really suck. But yeah, Like Jae said, we've just been talking."

The rain kicked into high gear, crashing down on the roof above them. This was the kind of night where Asha would sit on the porch of her house, uncaring of the cold; watching the drops fall through the streetlights, listening to the torrential downpour surrounding her, feeling comfortingly insignificant next to nature's enormity. The only thing preventing her from doing the same thing that night was the fact that it wasn't nearly as fun when you didn't have a heated house and a cup of coffee to return to.

She turned to Jae and shrugged. "I mean, I've kind of always wanted to be an arsonist, but I don't think that'd be very productive." As much as she loved the sight of a roaring fire, irrevocably turning all it touched into an ashy skeleton of itself, she couldn't really get behind destruction for destruction's sake. "We might just have to pretend to be penguins and huddle for warmth."

Posted Image

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Asha snorted at Jae's implication. "What, didja think that was even a question? Of course you're sticking around. Freaking nerd." They hadn't come this far just to ditch a friend for... reasons. She figured the only reason that Jae would ever doubt that was because he still felt guilty, or like he was being a burden. She'd have to keep an eye out in the future to decapitate those nasty little demons of insecurity if they showed their heads again.

"But yeah, I do need some sleep. Thanks for keeping watch, Jae; we can all decide in the morning if we wanna burn God down or not," Asha said before she gave Dot a quick hug and went to find a pew that looked comfortable enough to pass out on.

-

Asha dreamed that she was working at a video rental store in the summertime, alongside a cool girl. When she woke up she felt a vague sense of loss, and along with being slightly confused because who the fuck even remembers video rental stores.

She remained lying down on the pew for a few minutes while she woke up, watching Jae clear her barricades. On the one hand, it probably wasn't very nice to let the injured guy do all the work. On the other hand, she really didn't want to move yet. She and Dot were the ones who had put them up in the first place, so it was also kinda fair for Jae to be the one to take them down, right? Asha would definitely get up and help him with the rest of the debris. In just a few minutes.

Her lazing about was interrupted by the announcement, which she should have expected but didn't. She sat up with a groan, empty stomach feeling suddenly nauseous. She glanced at Dot to confirm that she was awake, too; then listened and waited to learn which of her friends she'd never see again.

Alessio had killed before he ran into the church, but Asha had already sort of assumed that had been the case, hadn't she? Jae seemed legitimately shocked, though. Funny, she considered him to be a hell of a lot more cynical than she was.

Wayne's death came as more of a shock than Asha had thought it'd be. She definitely hadn't been hoping that she'd have to hear his name read, but she had half expected to hear that he'd fucked up and crossed a Nancy or Isabel; and then she'd sigh and mourn the loss of a human life in the abstract but not much beyond that.

She never thought that he would end up killing himself.

That brought to mind uncomfortable questions of his fear, and guilt, and second-guessing and second chances; shattering the one-dimensional demonisation that had colored her perception of him ever since he had ditched them on that first night. "Wayne, you stupid fucking asshole," Asha muttered to herself, choking up a little. "You could have just apologized." Of course, in reality it wouldn't have been that easy, but even at her pettiest she had never wanted him to die

Henry Spencer.

Wayne was forgotten about, for now; replaced by the knowledge that another killer that she had been happy to let free had killed another one of her friends. Isabel hadn't changed, either.

Asha stood there, stunned; helpless as Jae cried and screamed his soul out. She wanted to help but couldn't; couldn't even fully process it herself, and latched on to the most pressing news of the announcement.

She slowly walked up to Jae, placed a hand on his back. "Jae, I'm - I'm sorry but we gotta get the fuck out of here. Now." There would be time for tears when their heads weren't about to be blown off.

Then Asha, Jae, and Dot got out of there.

((Asha and Dot stuck together.))

((Jae made a detour.))

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Crematorium Chapel · Next Topic »
Add Reply