Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Greatest Sideshow on Earth
Topic Started: Dec 8 2016, 07:38 PM (1,399 Views)
KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Emma Luz continued from Notes From An Even Smaller Island))

It was going to rain. That was a good thing and a bad thing.

The good news was, if it rained, that’d solve their water problem quickly. Depending on how much, they could easily replenish their stock. All they’d need to do was find a way to collect it. She remembered a few times, people would talk about ways to gather rainwater using a tarp or their roof. Finding a tarp would be tricky, though. Maybe there could be something they could use, though, with a bit of looking.

The bad news: it also meant that they’d have to find another shelter more quickly. It was already a priority to begin with. A good place to sleep was about as important as water. Not to mention… it was getting a little difficult for her, walking around like this. Her legs and shoulders ached. A few times, she’d space out, or even doze a little, only to realize the group was moving. It was clear after a while that she needed a place to rest. While it sounded a bit selfish, she did have somewhat different needs physically, after all. She didn't feel like she could hike for much longer. However, it would also be good for the others, to find a place to sit down, maybe sleep. Rain, with all the issues that would cause, only made that more important.

Luckily, that issue resolved itself. Amanda pointed out a building that could have some supplies they needed. Emma gave a small smile, and it wasn’t just the fact that they had a place to rest and look for things they needed. One of her favorite movies back home had a scene where two of the main characters devised a plan that ended with going to a pub to “get a cold pint and wait for all this to blow over.” She could only see the humor in hiding out in a bar.

Of course, her smile faded some after a second. She missed home. Even if they made it back, she knew that student council meetings wouldn’t be the same without Joshua or Conrad. And home wouldn’t be the same without…

Emma tried to shake that thought aside. It still hurt, knowing that Sabrina and Tina had been killed.

Like the others, she stepped into the pub, and right away, a pungent smell had hit her nose. It was the same familiar smell from the wards. It wasn’t long before they found the source. There was blood, spattered all over an armchair and the nearby floor. At the center of it all, a body sat limply. Emma recognized the dyed brown hair, now matted with blood.

“Mabes?”

Another flash of denial hit. Emma ran forward a few feet, the bag hitting her sides. However, she stopped once she got a closer look. Some part of her hoped that Tessa wasn’t dead, just injured. That she could be revived somehow. However, even from where she was standing, just some feet away, she could tell they were too late. Her skin had turned sickly gray with splotches. Flies huddled near a large wound near her neck.

Her heart started thumping. Emma slowly stepped back.

She usually wasn’t squeamish. Back in school she happily enjoyed dissection in Bio. Emma had seen all kinds of pictures and diagrams that went into detail about how the body worked. Being interested in first aid and medicine meant that she was familiar with all the ways a person could get sick, injured, or killed. Emma had read about ways the body decayed over time. She’d even seen a few autopsy images online. However, nothing could prepare you for seeing someone who once talked about drone attacks over Arizona, who once wanted to create light installations, reduced to essentially a piece of meat. Emma’s eyes squeezed tight.

She opened them again when she heard a muffled voice. Emma turned her head, to see that someone else was here. Someone who was alive. Kaitlyn Greene had a protein bar hanging from her mouth, and a pair of boots in her hands. A quick look back at Tessa told her where they came from. Emma looked back once Kaitlyn swallowed and continued talking.

Emma felt her fist clench. Kaitlyn… was acting weird, for lack of a better way of saying it. She had stepped closer to Mabes’, and said that she had dibs on her stuff. Yeah, her suspicions were correct. Graverobbing. Even if Kaitlyn said she wasn’t responsible and she’d share, there was still something slimy about taking someone’s things after they died, even if they didn’t need them anymore.

Right now, Emma had so many questions. But she settled on one.

“Kaitlyn,” she said. “Do… you know what happened here?”

A few more slow steps backwards.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Humiliating things I caught you guys saying

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Posted Image

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Was “grave-robbing” the right word for what Kaitlyn was doing? Emma had no idea. But it still seemed… unpleasant. True, they didn’t need it any more. But, to be honest, that was kind of the problem. It just seemed callous, you know? At least take Mabes elsewhere before you sort out her belongings. Maybe that was just her morals from back home talking. It did seem a little practical, to use what you find. But on the other…

Well, Jaime at least didn’t seem to mind that part.

Emma shot her a look. That was a little too quick. Again, taking someone else’s things, even if they were dead? Even if efficient, still felt slimy. Amanda was conspicuously silent.

The story Kaitlyn had painted for them, at least, made sense. But it still hurt. Mabes’ collar had detonated. By the look of things, it was because she’d damaged a camera. It sounded like something she’d do. Emma rubbed her arm in thought. It seemed like she wasn’t the only one nearby, either. Kaitlyn had found Mia Rose dead. Even in her fatigued state, Emma knew just how horrible death by overdose was, no matter what you used. Slow and agonizing, not what you’d want if you just want to… end things. There wasn’t a doubt Mia died in pain.

Mabes wasn’t the first dead body she’d seen. Everyone had watched Mr. Graham die, and how he was just left there. But seeing it up close like this seemed worse. For a moment, Emma imagined some of the dead in such a state. She wondered if other people descended like vultures onto their things, quietly taking what was theirs. A shudder ran up her spine when she pictured it being Tina and Sabrina.

She really needed to lay down.

However, Emma’s tired eyes locked onto a bottle Kaitlyn had put on the ground. Water. That’s what they were looking for. Bread too, to a lesser extent. Was it worth compromising your morals for water? Though, Kaitlyn had something else in her hands. Emma squinted a bit, trying to figure out what it was. Was it an odd ration pack, or-

Bomb. Kaitlyn had a bomb in her hands.

Her eyes widened. That’s when Kaitlyn pulled a gun out and pointed it at them.

“Easy, easy!”

Emma’s hands were up. Her mouth felt dry. She briefly wondered what to do. Didn’t she do something like this when she and Amanda first met up? Put her hands up, make it clear she wasn’t dangerous? She wasn’t sure that’d work with Kaitlyn.

She gulped a bit. It didn’t help the dryness in her throat.

“Look... I don’t think any of us need a bomb.”

Emma looked at Jaime, then Amanda, then to the door, where Lucilly was standing just outside. Maybe they’d have something to say about that. They weren’t looking for any kind of bomb, though. At least, it didn’t seem something that was high priority. Emma turned her head back to Kaitlyn, and took a deep breath.

“We came in here because… because we needed water. That’s all we need, maybe food too.”

Tables were good for hiding under, the bar was good for hiding behind. They could turn and run the way they came. Or, there had to be another exit. Another way to escape. Fire exits, windows, anything. She prayed to god Kaitlyn didn’t open fire or detonate.

“We can negotiate this.”

Emma hoped that Jaime and Amanda agreed.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Emma flinched as Jaime snarled. However, Amanda played along. Thank god for that. If it became an argument… well, Kaitlyn had a gun and a bomb. Though, Emma looked again at Amanda. Her heart rate went up more when she realized that her own gun had been raised.

It was only a matter of time before it went off.

Emma shook her head, trying to dismiss that thought. Practical. She had to be practical here, right? Maybe. Her hands were still up, showing that she wasn’t a killer.

Thankfully, Kaitlyn was backing down. Nerves, apparently. She had a run-in with Alan Banks, and it sounded like he tried to steal her things. Soccer team, right? Yeah, he was. He… was a bit of a baiter. Alan wasn’t someone Emma usually went out of her way to talk to, but him stealing a gun? That was a new low, if it was true.

Was it?

Emma slowly lowered her arms. Kaitlyn had put the bag closer to them, so that was good. Water and food were what they were looking for, weren’t they? Emma leaned down, gently touching the strap. Her head felt heavy. But she turned her head back towards Mabes, and felt her skin shake and crawl. A numbness slid inside her arms and legs.

“I… agree,” Emma said. “Keeping her here wouldn’t be… wouldn’t be hygienic, y’know? Dead bodies… they rot and stink. Might be good to… yeah.”

It was an appeal to logic. To make the others understand why it was a good idea to move Mabes elsewhere. Logic wasn’t the reason why she agreed, though. Emma tore her head away, and raised her hand to her face. She pinched her nose slightly, pushing her glasses up. Her skin continued to shake.

So much had happened recently. It kind of felt like the world was collapsing around her. Emma slid her hand to her mouth. It just…

It just was so hard to stay practical sometimes.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kaitlyn, Jaime, and Amanda had taken Mabes outside. Emma and Lucilly, however, had stayed behind. Emma looked at Mabes before they took her through the door, but tore her eyes away. Something occurred to her, and it was that it was most likely the last time she’d see Mabes at all. Not as a living person, but as a… thing. A thing that dripped blood out of its neck. No, she shouldn’t think of it like that. But a shudder ran up and down her spine as they passed her with the body.

When they came back, Amanda just had to comment about Mabes being stuck in the rain. Emma didn’t say anything, not at first. Couldn’t. Instead, she looked to the floor, again touching her arm. She didn’t like that mental image.

But maybe they could bury her in the morning? Emma wasn’t sure how. Digging a hole without a shovel would be difficult, though. And a big enough one for an entire person? Even more so.

Even so, Emma still wasn’t sure about leaving Mabes out in the rain to rot.

That night, Emma dreamed.

She was in a shadowy void, the only light coming from a fire in from of her. It only lit up about three feet, before the darkness swallowed up everything beyond it. The flames crackled, and even though she couldn’t see anything in front of her, she knew she was being hunted.

Emma stared into the darkness.

The darkness stared back.

At first, a single yellow moon appeared in the sky. With it came stars, gently floating nearby. There was a strange beauty to it, and yet, the sight gave Emma goosebumps. One moon became two, with a dark pupil on each. The stars moved to form sharp, needle-like teeth. The animal’s face gave a hungry smile. Emma sat frozen.

The flames went out.

Emma woke up on the floor of the pub, just behind the bar. But she couldn’t move. Her limbs and back were stuck, as if glued to the wood. Her eyes flicked around, only landing on the ceiling. A strange breathing noise filled the air, filled her ears. A sense of overwhelming horror filled her.

She closed her eyes, opened them again.

A pressure was on top of her. It looked like a creature, made of pure blackness. It lowered its snout just an inch from her face, sniffing her. Then it grinned. Something like it, at least. Its teeth were bared, almost as if prepared. Its four feet kept her pinned. Claws dug deep into her flesh.

Emma.

Her heart beat like a drum. It was just as loud as the breathing noises. She couldn’t move, nor did she want to.

Are you scared?

She closed her eyes. Opened them another time.

It was over. Nothing was on top of her. There was no sign of anything wrong, not that she could see. She moved her arms, and it came without much difficultly. Emma let out a sigh, and slid to her side. She gently moved her bag under her head. It wasn’t a good pillow, but it’d do for the time being.

As she laid, she stared at the wall in thought. She was used to episodes like that. Years of it happening meant that it’d become a normal thing. And yet, even now, especially now, it was still something unpleasant. She closed her eyes again, and focused on her breathing while wiggling her toes some.

Sometime later, maybe an hour or two, Emma decided to sit up. Sunlight had started to poke through the pub, brightening it up a little. Her hand reached up to the counter, and grabbed her glasses from where she put them. After cleaning them, she put them back on. Her shoes had been taken off too, but she didn’t think to put them back on.

Another morning in the same place, she guessed. Other than the problems going on elsewhere, they’d been alright. No danger, except maybe for Kaitlyn. Emma still wasn’t sure about her. She still didn’t seem very... trustworthy? Some part of her, as horrible as it sounded, thought that she was going to steal their things while they slept, or something terrible like that. But then, what would be the point of dividing up the supplies with them? Maybe it was paranoid. Maybe it paid to be a little cautious.

There were some other things Emma needed to discuss with the others too, of course, but she’d dozed off before she could say anything. The first one was simple, but no less important: water. They got some extra, even if it was somewhat unsavory how, but they needed to discuss ways to get more ahead of time. The second, well… Emma needed to talk about something that’d been on her mind lately. It was something that had been gnawing at her ever since they’d left the wards, she’d guessed. It did feel like a bit of an elephant in the living room, but she needed to address that elephant.

Emma pulled herself up to her feet, and placed her bag onto the counter. Emma didn’t immediately notice something was different until she had grabbed her medication and a water bottle, but when she did, it felt off.

There were five people here earlier. Amanda, Lucilly, Kaitlyn, Jaime, and her. Now there was only four. It clicked.

“Kaitlyn?”

Emma turned her head, to see if she was just somewhere out of sight. No such luck. Did she leave, or just go into another room? She wasn’t so sure what to think if she did. Not a word, really? There was something about that, that made Emma uncomfortable.

She walked out from behind the bar, looking around the room.

“Hey, is anyone else awake?”
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lucilly had left, and still hadn’t come back. Kaitlyn was still conspicuously absent. There were still issues to be solved.

Everything was a mess.

Emma had wondered if it was good for Lucilly to find a buddy, or for them to start a search party. She was currently alone, and it didn’t seem safe. She’d left in a vague way, too, and they had no idea on where she was. The world was dangerous these days. She’d lost enough people to know that.

She wasn’t sure if now was the time to broach that question she’d been thinking about. Or whether there was a right way to broach it. It was a problem, and Emma wanted to see it dealt with. She needed everyone else’s thoughts on it, so that no one does anything rash.

That topic became more urgent when the announcements came back on. She hated the announcements. It was only bad news, of some kind or another. As Danya joked around, Emma tensed up, wondering what awful thing he was going to say this time.

Alongside everything else, it turned out Kaitlyn had lied to them.

It wasn’t a suicide. It was murder. Kaitlyn had killed Mia, in a particularly unpleasant way. She’d subjected her to a long, drawn out death, and for what? Supplies? Like what she did with Tessa’s body? Just injected her, took her things?

And they’d talked to her. Trusted her. Sure, Emma had found her suspicious, but still, there was an element of trust. Even let her have a weapon. Emma had dozed off with her in the room. And this entire time, she’d killed someone.

After the announcement, Emma was quiet. Yet, her features were tight and hard. Her arms and legs were shaking.

How. Dare. She.

After what seemed like both an eternity and yet not long enough, Amanda spoke up. Kaitlyn needed to be discussed. Emma couldn’t agree more. That was just one thing they needed to talk about.

“I agree,” she said. “There’s some other stuff we need to talk over, too, but… I feel like I should let you talk first.”

Even though she was still processing that information, one thing was clear to Emma. They needed a plan for things like this in the future. Kaitlyn was just acting suspicious around them, but what if it’s someone like Kimiko? Alvaro? Or even… those two? Those two had been on her mind for a while.

But it was good to let Amanda speak first. See what she had to say, you know? She could even be thinking the exact same thing she was.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Shhhhhh!”

Emma put a finger to her mouth, and looked around. Again, she still wasn’t sure if the terrorists were that petty. Last time Jaime did something like that, nothing had happened. She guessed they needed them alive for as long as possible, just so… well, the other students finished the job. A shudder ran up her spine at the thought. Maybe they weren’t that petty, but Emma wanted to stay on the safe side. They’d killed Tessa for damaging a camera, so she wasn’t sure what else would end with them stepping in personally.

Tessa. The mental image of her slumped in the chair still stuck with her.

Nothing happened, though, and Amanda continued.

She really was thinking the same thing she was, wasn’t she? Kind of. Emma thought it over. Would it have been right to shoot Kaitlyn? On one hand, they just let a killer go without realizing it. They even let her have more weapons to use. If she used that bomb on someone, wouldn’t it mean that they were indirectly responsible? It wasn’t like Kaitlyn wasn’t acting suspicious, either.

“Amanda…”

Emma didn’t know what to say.

Tell her.

“I’ve… been wondering the same thing too.”

It was the truth. She hated it.

“I keep thinking… what if we run into someone like Nancy or Isabel? We all know what they’ve done, but… I don’t want anyone to do anything rash. In case, you know, we run into them.”

Nancy, Isabel. Murderers. Big ones. She hated them, but if she ran into them, she didn’t want to do anything stupid. She had all the reason to. And Kaitlyn had taken advantage of them. Lied to them, pretended that Mia had died differently. Let Mia die a cruel death. She didn’t even seem to feel bad about it.

Emma shifted nervously.

“Kaitlyn lied to us, too. There’s no doubt about it. She didn’t even seem to feel bad. I feel like…”

Spit it out.

“I feel like, in the future, we should have some kind of plan for dealing with people like her. Or, heck, even if we find her. Maybe, if she comes back, or someone else-“

Emma felt for Amanda. She looked nervous, and unsure. Jaime was probably going to outright suggest violence again, but Emma didn’t feel exactly comfortable with that. There was one thing Emma knew, and that was that she didn’t want to end up a murderer. There were so many reasons why. And yet, as the hours went on, it felt more and more like an issue. She hated it. She didn’t want to do it. Even if the solution they came up with involved violence, she still wanted to stick to her values.

“We can’t become killers though. It’s just not right, I feel.”

She hated Kaitlyn. She hated Nancy. She hated Isabel. Some part of her even hated Alvaro, and Jasmine, and Kimiko, and all the other people who could be killing their classmates right now. It was disgusting. But, they didn’t deserve death, did they? Would it make them any better?

It seemed like there was an easy solution, and yet, it wasn’t staring her in the face.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Hey wait-“

Too late, Amanda was leaving too. And it didn’t look like Lucilly was coming back. The mess got worse. As if everything couldn’t get worse.

Emma stood up. And did what intuition told her. It was also what Jaime echoed.

She quickly slid her boots back on. Grabbed her bag. Ran out the door.

“Hey, wait!”

Emma ran out the door, but Amanda broke into a sprint. And, more importantly, she was faster. Emma wasn’t that athletic, but Amanda, a soccer player? Was. This was quickly proven when, after a few feet of running, Emma’s legs numbed. A foot later, and she fell onto the wet dirt.

Shaking, she lifted herself by her arms. Emma spat out some dirt from her mouth. Her glasses were falling down her nose, and her legs wouldn’t budge.

Amanda has just… she’d just left them. Lucilly, too. Kaitlyn had killed someone, Nancy and Isabel were still out there, her other family and friends were still fighting, still dying, and they hadn’t resolved a thing. They were still stuck here, and everyone around them was still dying. And Emma had been so stupid. She’d let Amanda take the lead. But was that even a good idea?

Everything was falling apart around her, and she hated it.

She hated it.

Emma made a sobbing noise. But, no more came from her mouth. Her legs slowly unnumbed. She slowly, but steadily, surely, lifted herself off the ground.

Then, she took a few hesitant steps.

Those steps became a jog.

((Emma Luz continued in ... Lose a Hand))
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply