Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thanatophobia; Day 3, Afternoon - Open
Topic Started: Nov 12 2016, 08:01 PM (1,123 Views)
Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Taking over Jasper with Aloha's permission.))

Jasper realized how chilling, how offset it was that he'd thought of Raina and the unfamiliar boy following him as 'safety'. He wasn't sure he liked the idea of framing his time left on Earth like that. He didn't like pinning the remnant ethereal wisps of hope's flame and warmth that he hugged close to his chest onto an idea as violent and alien as 'safety'. He wanted to trust these two, so he would. He'd trust them as earnestly as he could.

"Uh, thanks, but I don't smoke." Jasper definitely couldn't see himself starting now. That awkward rejection aside, conversation seemed easier and more familiar by the second. "Well, if that's what you guys have to do." Jasper knew that was Raina's prerogative. Next she asked for any leads. "I haven't seen anything, no." It was a bit unfortunate that he had nothing to offer in terms of information. She asked for more, for people this time. He didn't know much about the robotics club or it's members, maybe he recognized some of the names, but he hadn't yet met a soul from their ranks. "I don't think I've seen any of them, sorry." Jasper's voice struck a note of earnest sympathy as he recalled everything he'd suffered after losing Arthur and Henry. The loneliness, the primal fear of the dark he'd had to nurse. "I'm so sorry you guys haven't been able to find your friends yet. I know how awful it is, wandering around without allies..."

There was someone still outside! Jasper glanced their way, ready to greet them. Maybe they were friendly. Maybe even a friend. Maybe...

“...Jasper?”

"A-... Alvaro!"

It was a genuine laugh that Jasper greeted his old friend with. Genuine, but pained. The first thing he could think of was those familiar raw nerves, those adrenaline spikes he suffered around things that were like weapons. Sharp kitchen knives. Arthur's not-so-real paintball gun. Jasper feared that the gun pointed at all of them was all too real. He was staring right down the barrel almost, right into the void that was like the one that hid behind his eyelids.

He forcibly mastered the impulse of fear with flips of his stomach that were queasy and desperate. Alvaro was his friend. Jasper knew Alvaro had appeared on the announcements once before, with a kill to his name. But. Jasper also knew that Alvaro was sweet, kind, almost painfully shy. Jasper knew that he was a good worker and always had something to say when Jasper stepped into his cafe. Jasper knew that Alvaro was pretty and beautiful and Jasper had never had the courage to say that to his face. Jasper knew the island made them all suffer. Those who died. And those who had killed them.

So he extended his hand, gently as he could.

"Alvaro, hey." Maybe, some tiny part of Jasper mused, this was where he proved them wrong. Fire Girl, Junko. "It's me, Jasper. You're safe here, you can put the gun down." They didn't believe there was peace left in their lives. They didn't believe that there was even point left in their lives. "Just like at your cafe, right? You don't always have to be working and worrying." Jasper believed, with whatever he could muster to defy all the odds, that they were wrong. "You can take a break. C'mon." Jasper patted a spot near himself, keeping his eyes firmly soft, gently inviting.

Yet another familiar face he was pitted against. Jasper hoped against all hope that he'd win the battle this time, without a single shot fired.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jasper couldn't make sense of Alvaro's heavy, troubled breathing.

But no, he could.

Jasper realized each breath, each tremble, was a pained one. Alvaro was suffering, just as much as any other kid on this island who was alone and scared and thought that God had forsaken them. When Jasper had felt at his lowest he'd been alone and without a soul to share the burden of the fear with. And heaven help those others who dealt with that. All those people from his school who dealt with that, every single one. Even those faces who had already come and gone, back on the beach. They were all without friendship and alliance. All they knew was the world around them that was hostile, the voices of terrorists who declared their sins so cruelly and mercilessly.

Jasper's heart was racing, from zero and through the glass of the speedometer. It was some sort of divine revelation, he realized. One that carried the barbs of terror and adrenaline that burned his veins from the inside out. But maybe that fear was somehow clarity. And it was also the courage to do what needed to be done.

To reach out. So Jasper's hand stayed outstretched as an offering even as he began to stand slowly from his chair. "I'm so sorry Alvaro. I know how afraid you must be now." He knew he couldn't try to signal surrender. If he did anything with his hands besides offer them in good faith it would tell Alvaro more than words ever could. It would tell him that Jasper didn't trust him, when that was now the furthest thing from the truth. "No one is trying to understand you, to help you." Really Alvaro and Jasper were no different. All they wanted was someone to hear what they had to say. A friend, the sort of friend who knew being a friend meant being there no matter what. That, Jasper knew, was what he wanted to be. Here and now, for Alvaro.

"I just want to listen, Alvaro." Jasper was fully standing now. Still smiling as loud as he was speaking, so his voice and his intentions rang clear as possible. "I know there's so much you need to say but you don't because you're afraid no one else will try to hear you out, but I will." And once more Jasper remembered those quiet moments in the cafe, and Alvaro's equally quiet voice, and the quiet patter of a heartbeat in his ear. "You know I will. It's what I've always done for you."

It was so strange. Jasper swore he'd never felt this strong, this confident before. All the weakness and the timidness was melted away. All he'd had to do was open his heart, and realize the most important thing was to not leave others to that horrific fate of being alone.

Some part of him still drunk on reptilian instinct screamed that the others could ruin his efforts. Audrey, Raina, Cigarette Guy. Even without intending to, if they did even one thing misguidedly out of the wrong emotion like fear...? But no, Jasper steeled himself and knew without knowing that he could trust them.

They were good company.

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
For a moment too long Jasper was left wondering if his sentiment had counted for anything. There had the immaterial beginnings of a cold watery something sinking through his stomach. What if Alvaro hadn't listened?

The gun was lowering, and the fear was stillborn as it should have been.

Jasper wasn't even sure if it was relief he was feeling. He'd been so convinced Alvaro would see eye to eye with him that it was no news to him that it happened. It was a warm feeling for sure. Something more like eagerness. That feeling came with an old and familiar face, with a friend. It was starting to rain, Jasper could hear the distant thudding of raindrops against the faraway roof. Maybe nature herself would wash out their sins, let them start anew.

Jasper opened his mouth to speak, because there was so much to say. But he didn't get a word out.

He heard Raina and Cigarette Guy leaving, before he saw them doing so.

"Wait..."

It was all in slow motion. Audrey still there, still friendly, but. Raina. Her friend. They were walking away, and they were rejecting the hope of companionship. It was almost a betrayal, that they didn't share in the trust. Maybe it was a tentative peace, but Jasper had thought it could have worked out if everyone had just kept good faith. It wasn't too late, Jasper quickly, boldly thought. Maybe if he reached out and tried to speak to them too? Maybe they'd listen. "Guys!" He moved without without further thought, a step and then another forward into their wake, dragging feet slowly revving for the run. "Don't-!"

He heard the bullets. He didn't see the bullets.

He felt the bullets.

In an instant, all his strength shattered. Jasper didn't even have the breath to cry out. He'd been using that precious, life-giving breath to try and speak. To try and reach out.

That effort was aborted, cut short, and all Jasper was left with for it was the pain. Pain that burned like a fire set to that thing he'd once called a stomach, that instantly locked all his muscles rigid and he couldn't control them or anything else anymore. So he fell onto the ground with a hard crunch, and was robbed of what was left of his breath. But he let it go, as much as he could even control that. He didn't need that breath. Right now all he needed to do was desperately cling onto what was left. His peace. His hope. His friends. He could hold on somehow, even as his arms were suddenly too weak obey him.

"Alvaro..." His voice rattled flimsily and he was gargling his own shredded innards. "Alvaro... please..." He didn't even know if he was loud enough to be heard anymore, his lips were unceremoniously shoved against the floor and each syllable was a struggle for what was left of his lungs.

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
He couldn't die alone.

He wasn't afraid of death. God did it hurt, but pain was just temporary. Eternity in God's promised kingdom was free of pain, and free of fear, and free of suffering, and Jasper knew that. But he also knew he was alone, it was stark, fresh in his mind. His life had always been the people around him. Nanay, tatay, tito, bunso. Mga kaibigan. Even those faces turned unfamiliar, like Junko, and... Fire Girl... and Alvaro. Even the very person who'd taken his life away was still someone he cared about. God knew there was so much left to say to those people, so much that would never be said because- no. Jasper couldn't leave them. Not like this.

He convulsed, thrashed in agonizingly slow kicks and bobs of the neck. Every movement was more meat slopping off the bone, but he couldn't go. Not yet.

He was able to get his face off the ground. Look up, around. Barely. Jasper was a mess of blood and flesh, painted onto the floor. But all he could see through the darkness that was beginning to steal his vision...

Alvaro.

"..." Jasper had tried to say something. It hadn't come out right, or at all, even though his throat had weakly stuttered. No, no, please, he didn't want it to end like this. Not like this. He was Jasper. He was Alvaro's friend, and Alvaro was right there, and Jasper couldn't leave Alvaro like this. He had... had to say...

"A-... D-don't-..." Jasper's breathing was growing fainter, crackling into static. "Leave... I'm-... I'm still-... here..."

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It hurt so much, to try and hold on. Every inch of Jasper, bits he didn't even remember had existed, drifted away into that yonder blue ocean to a sailor's burial. Anything that Jasper could hang onto bit back, admonished him for daring to try. Slipping into death seemed comfortable and warm like slipping into a blanket. But he had to stay, for his friend. Because Alvaro...

Alvaro wasn't talking.

He struggled to look Alvaro in the eye. More things he couldn't guess at leaked out of the the gape of his abdomen. He could only feel them, not see them. And frighteningly even those pathetic sensations were beginning to fade.

Alvaro still wasn't talking.

Please. Jasper just wanted him to say something. Anything, to acknowledge the finality, the ending of one life and the beginning of another. To let Jasper feel he'd done something, anything at all before he'd slipped away. Had God already confiscated Jasper's hearing too? Was God telling him to let go, let himself rest in peace?

No. No, Jasper felt no peace. Not now, not while one of his best friends was standing there, not saying anything while Jasper begged him to. No, but. Jasper couldn't die like that. He couldn't blame Alvaro. As much as it hurt to see him just stand there. Were Alvaro's lips moving? It was all so dark, too dark to tell anymore. He just needed to be strong a little longer. Push the words out, something, anything. Seconds were passing. Maybe it was minutes, hours. Everything was molten cold, colorless iron and steel filling in the gaps. Where there had once been sensation and sound, now nothing.

The silence felt desolate. Empty, void of all noise. Even the fading whisper of Jasper's own heartbeat in his ears was muffled, indistinct.

Jasper felt so alone. Alvaro was right there and Jasper was still dying alone.

His friend had never been so far away before.

This wasn't peace.

He... just...

Had to...

"P-please..."

Jasper wasn't even sure his lips were moving anymore.

'Say something.'

'Don't leave me here.'

'Don't let me die like this.'

Cicada Days
Member Avatar
keep running yoshi
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In the end, Jasper never heard Alvaro say anything.

In the end, Jasper died alone.

B007 : Jasper Bustamante Deceased
80 Students Remaining

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Group Therapy · Next Topic »
Add Reply