Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Why We Fight
Topic Started: Nov 10 2016, 08:21 PM (1,213 Views)
KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Jennifer Wallace continued from So, so tired…))

There were some driving questions Jennifer had thought of. One was “where are we?” An island that consisted of primarily an old mental asylum was a pretty good start on answering that question. About half the island, the half they’d been avoiding, was the main asylum. So, anyone looking at the footage could examine various details, such as what the buildings looked like, and get an idea of where they were supposed to be. While the island seemed like no one had lived here for years, that didn’t mean that no one had been there, period. No boats, no explorers, nothing?

Today’s driving question was something else, and it was “how do the collars work?” Jennifer couldn’t find a mirror, but she did have two people that were wearing the same thing. A few times, she snuck a few glances at them as they walked and rested. Only a few quick glances, but still. Back when they were in the danger zones, it seemed like they had activated quickly to warn them. Which opened one possibility: the collars had two “phases”. One was the “beeping phase.” She wasn’t sure how long this phase lasted, but it was long enough for them to leave the area without any harm. Phase two is the “exploding phase”. Which was pretty self-explanatory. Multiple areas could effectively be sectioned off using them, as well, regardless of location.

Putting all of the information together, based off what the manual said and what she could glean, painted a pretty good picture for her. The collars were shock-proof, water-proof, and couldn’t be removed by hands alone. They could, at least in theory, be activated anywhere on the island fairly quickly. The way they were designed meant that there was a window of time for them to exit the area. They were also able to completely remove an area out of the equation.

Jennifer didn’t have an escape plan or anything, of course. That would probably require more resources that a group of high school students had on-hand. But, this was useful information, obviously.

There were several other questions, too. For example, "who is dangerous and who isn't?" Nancy Kyle definitely was, so was Kimiko Kao and Isabel Ramirez. That meant if they ran into them, it was best to get out of here. There were probably other names, too, but she didn't get them all.

Of course, the one driving question behind all of the others: “Am I going to get out of here alive?” And that was a difficult question to answer.

After the danger zone, they'd decided to go back to the depot. Hopefully she could get another look at the things in there. It would also be a good place to rest again, too. Bart seemed to get more and more exhausted by the day.

She tried not to think about the fact that people were dead. It seemed cold thinking of it like this, but they needed to focus on survival first. Grieving would come later. Her mind did wander a few times, though. Sometimes she thought of Jasmine or Sanford, sometimes people like Bradley. Sure, he was terrible, but did he deserve that?

Suddenly, Bart stopped, and with it, Jennifer's own steps stopped. She followed his line of vision to see Clarice Halwood sitting on a truck. Jennifer's feet awkwardly shuffled in place, and she wondered if it was a good idea to say something to her. She was the first person they'd outright seen, aside from each other.

However, Bart made that decision for them.

Jennifer cleared her throat.

"Clarice Halwood?" she asked.

Her voice came out stern. She stood tall. However, her fingers were wrapped around the bag strap over her shoulder, growing tighter with each second. Jennifer's eyes moved up and down, looking her over. She hadn't been on the announcements, she remembered, but Clarice didn't look happy. Of course, no one could be happy here.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Humiliating things I caught you guys saying

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Posted Image

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clarice turned her head towards them, and gave a small greeting in turn. Jennifer noticed that she seemed to know her last name, but not Bart’s. But that was a small detail. Jennifer remembered a bit about Clarice. She was co-captain with Tyler Yazzie on the wrestling team, she recalled. Didn’t she have a bit of a temper, too? Jennifer remembered that she tended to argue with bullies. However, she did not remember her name being on the announcements, which was good.

What was also good was Kiziah bursting past them and swooping in to hug Clarice. Friends? Sure, looked like it. Clarice had returned the hug, with tears visible in her eyes. Well, it was good that the first person they saw, aside from each other, was a friend. It didn’t seem like she was dangerous, which was a definite plus. And if she and Kiziah were friends? That was even better.

Though… Jennifer couldn’t help but smile some. Maybe it was because there was something nice about what she was seeing. In a way, maybe? Though… she faltered a bit once Clarice fully broke down into tears.

Bart had noticed, and stepped closer to ask if she was alright. Jennifer stepped forward. She swallowed a bit. She wasn’t good at comforting people, was she? Maybe it was better if Kiziah did it. They were friends, weren’t they?

“Hey…” she began. But instead, she looked around, still gripping her bag’s strap.

What could she say here?
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Something got her attention.

Jennifer snapped her head up as she saw someone else approach. It took a moment for her to process the information. Her brain was still sluggish from lack of caffeine and exhaustion. However, a moment was enough.

It looked like a girl covered in blood. Jennifer’s heart began to pound, this time not from exertion.

Everyone else confirmed who she was. Kimiko Kao. It wasn’t like Jennifer didn’t know who she was, though. Years of working on the school newspaper, of doing articles on the sports teams, meant that she was well acquainted with the fact that Kimiko was part of the basketball and gymnastics team. She was unable to speak, but was the gymnastics captain. And, most importantly… she was a killer. The names went by too fast, but she knew that Kimiko had come up. They even gave her a prize.

The blood was fresh.

Too fresh.

Jennifer’s eyes snapped around her. Bart was terrified. Kiziah was nervous. Clarice just let out a flat curse and tried to hide Kiziah behind her. Could they hide behind the truck, the crates? Could they run for it? Run the other way Anything, everything, to hide, run, escape. Anything.

And that’s when Jennifer saw it. Kiziah’s gun.

Her heartrate got faster when she saw it just lying on the ground just at Bart’s feet. A weapon laying in plain sight, where someone, anyone could grab it. Kimiko could’ve easily just picked it up and shot them, just like that, if Bart had moved. Even if she didn’t attack them, she could still use it on other people.

Jennifer’s head flicked towards the rest of the group for a second. She had to think fast.

She stepped forward, her heart still pounding in her ears. Jennifer stopped just in front of the gun. She looked to see that Bart was still standing nearby, just in case. Her vision blurred, and it felt a bit like watching something in a movie. But she felt herself stand with legs apart, her posture slouched like a wild animal about to strike.

“What do you want, Kimiko?” she snapped.

A split second told her that wasn’t the best idea. Kimiko couldn’t respond, for starters. But, also… she had a sword. That meant any bad decisions she made here, could mean her death.

Another look at Bart. If he grabbed the gun and kept it out of her reach, that would make things better. If he couldn’t, she could. No matter what, though, Kimiko could not have it. That was final.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kimiko had responded by going into a flurry of hand motions. Sign language? Made sense. She was unable to speak, after all. However, Jennifer had no idea what she was trying to say. But the look on her face looked nervous, as if she feared them.

Jennifer felt her mouth twitch. “Dealing with this civilly,” Clarice? That would be a fair way to deal with things, but the part where Kimiko was kind of a known murderer made that more than a little difficult. It didn’t help that Kiziah stepped forward and offered her help. No no no, what was she doing? Again, Kimiko, murderer. That was an important detail, was she the only one who remembered? Well, probably not, but the point remained.

But Clarice seemed to respond to her signing. Judging by what she said, Kimiko was “scared” and “angry.” Was she talking about Bradley? Clarice mentioned him, at least. He came up on the announcements too, didn’t he? Okay, so maybe she was explaining what happened there. Bradley was a jerk, so did he provoke her somehow? Well… Bradley wasn’t known for his political correctness. Was Kimiko in some way a victim of circumstance? But that wouldn’t explain the other time, would it? Cristo. That was who she killed last time. It was a little more difficult to handwave away, unless it turned out something else happened.

Bart chipped in, saying he didn’t want to fight. Jennifer looked at Kiziah’s gun, still resting at their feet. She let out a deep sigh. However, she raised her hands, keeping her palms flat.

“I don’t want to fight either,” she said.

It was true. She didn’t. No one asked to be here. However, Kimiko was still a threat. It seemed like Clarice and possibly Kiziah were friends with her, though. Maybe the diplomatic approach would work? It’d better work.

Halwood, you better know what you’re doing.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Skipping too. Sorry Aura.))

Kiziah had given them a reassuring smile. Even then, Jennifer still wasn’t sure. Kimiko was still dangerous, wasn’t she? But she’d hugged Clarice, as if she really needed it. Yet, Clarice’s body language seemed uncomfortable. Maybe she wasn’t sure too. Maybe she was just as tense as Jennifer was. To be frank, “tense” here meant that she was prepared to do anything. Run, fight, hide, something.

She didn’t want to die here. Some part of her told her that escape was possible, that people have lived through this before, that the terrorists wouldn’t get away with it. That Kimiko wasn’t dangerous, at least not right now. But that didn’t change the fact that even if she was friends with Kiziah and Clarice, she was a killer. She could do it again if she wanted to.

But as Kimiko pulled away, she noticed that she seemed to have an odd look on her face. It was almost as if she’d realized something. Jennifer saw her hands move again, spelling out words she could never personally understand, not without translation. But then, Kimiko started stepping away. She’d turned to give them one last message, but afterwards she broke into a run.

She was gone as quickly as she’d came.

Jennifer slowly lowered her arms, expelling a breath she didn’t realize was there. Kimiko’s departure was a good thing, in a sense. It meant that a threat was pretty much… well, neutralized. On the other, she seemed like she didn’t want to fight. If Jennifer had to guess, some of the bits she got seemed to point towards Kimiko getting into those kinds of incidents by circumstance, rather than something she went out of her way to do.

For a moment, Jennifer was unsure about what to do. Maybe Clarice needed to hear something, but she wasn’t sure what.

“Hey…”

She stepped forward, only to feel a weight against her foot. Jennifer looked down. The gun was still there, still waiting to be used. She knelt, and gingerly picked it up. Dealing with emotions was good. But pragmatism came first. Keeping it pointed towards the ground and away from anyone, she instead approached Kiziah.

“This is yours,” she said, handing the gun in her direction. “Treat it like… your child, I guess.”

Did that analogy even work? You were supposed to watch small children, yes. Watching firearms, especially in a “game” like this, was good. But no one really used an infant to kill other people. No one tell the terrorists that, though, or it’d give them ideas.

Jennifer shot another look at Clarice, then towards the direction Kimiko left, and back. Once again, she was unsure about what to say to her, since Kimiko was a friend of hers and Kiziah’s. This whole thing made her confused.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Sorry, it’s just…”

Jennifer bit her lip. Then:

“I was scared that someone could pick it up, and… use it. On us. It was just sitting there, and I wasn’t sure if Kimiko would even try.”

Jennifer looked around her. Bart was always terrified, but now? He looked even more unsure, worried. Clarice had a temper, and even if she and Kiziah were friends with Kimiko, how long do friendships last here? For a moment, Jennifer pictured Blake. Her best friend, her ex. He was a good person, and he wouldn’t hurt a fly. She knew he wasn’t here, though. She was almost certain he wasn’t here. They had different classes. But, even if he was… what would he do? Probably keep the peace a bit better. He might know how to deal with someone like Kimiko, better than she could.

But no matter what, she was glad he wasn’t here. That he wasn’t suffering, or that he had to make moral decisions.

Even then, though, she had no idea what Kiziah and Clarice were feeling right now.

Clarice had torn herself away from the group, saying that she was going to look out for Kimiko. It wasn’t safe. Kimiko, even if she hadn’t hurt them, was still a murderer.

Jennifer watched Clarice’s back as it slowly withdrew away. Bart spoke up, asking if they could look around. That was the point of this venture, wasn’t it? Find paper, find proper clothes, find anything else they needed. Looking for supplies, that was the entire reason they’d come here to begin with. And yet, Jennifer had to give another look at the storehouse. It was positively full of things that could be useful. But, she had to decide.

She slowly turned towards the direction Clarice went. Each step ached and rubbed against forming blisters, but she gritted her teeth through it.

Jennifer had to say it.

“Want to follow her?”

((Jennifer Wallace continued in If It Bleeds, It Leads))
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Storehouse · Next Topic »
Add Reply