Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Last Days; Morning Day 3, Open
Topic Started: Nov 3 2016, 03:52 PM (1,819 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Lizzie Luz continued from We're Here Because We're Here)

The announcements awoke Lizzie. She listened to the names, felt a moment's burning in her eyes at the ones she recognized as she curled in on herself in the little nest she'd made for herself. Oh, Sabrina. So little, so delicate, with her crazy fucking parents and the love of women she had to keep close to her chest, because she knew what the family what their crazy-ass family would say, what kind of stupid fucking fights it would start. And now Nancy fucking Kyle had killed her, too?

There was no laugh on Lizzie's lips anymore. Lettie, Tina, and Sabrina, all gone. All killed. And there was no sign of Tyler, no matter where she looked.

She had tried, all the previous day. She traced her way along the outskirts of buildings: she wandered across the wild lawns and the clifftops, searching for any sign of him. She couldn't find him anywhere.

The hours stretched on, and Lizzie wasn't searching with the same intensity. She kept moving, because she didn't know what else to do. Later in the day, she slipped off her and stuck her bare feet in the ocean. She'd always loved the ocean: it was just so big. She considered stripping down and plunging into that cold water, swimming as far as she could, but...

But that was just a form of suicide, wasn't it? And she didn't want to kill herself. She wanted to find Tyler. She wanted to make sense of all this, while she could. If she could.

Lettie Tina Sabrina

When night had drawn a curtain across the island, she had found herself a place to sleep. But it felt too exposed, so she had shoved the couch back against the table, making herself a little lea where no one could see her if they looked into the room. She was still curled there now, thinking of Tina, of Sabrina, of Lettie, and of Nancy fucking Kyle.

She wanted to kill Nancy.

The thought surprised her so much that she sat upright at once, her mouth slightly open. She wanted to kill her. She wanted to wrap her hands around her neck and watch the life drain from her eyes. She wanted to cut into her flesh and see her bleed. She wanted-

She didn't want this. She shouldn't want this. But she...that fucker had...!

The door opened. Lizzie froze, more in guilt than fear, as though somehow the people entering the room could have heard her awful thoughts, and seen the terrible things she was imagining. She listened to their voices. She hesitated, but...

But this was a new day, and she had too many thoughts in her head. She wanted to talk to someone. She needed to. And she might not have found the courage, except...

Except one of the voices named Nancy, with a note of rage, frustration, and fear in his voice.

"Uh, hey!" she called, from behind her couch fort. "It's, uh...Lizzie! Lizzie Luz! I'm not, uh..."

Shit. Should she say she wasn't armed? There were a lot more killers on the island now.

"I'm not playing!" she called. "Looking for Tyler Yazzie! And...and maybe...

Maybe I'll find Nancy Kyle and pry her eyes from her fucking sockets.

"Uh..." she said, in a trembling voice, afraid of this fire in her belly. "What...what about you?"
Edited by Grim Wolf, Nov 7 2016, 02:40 AM.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Sorry, yeah," Lizzie said, poking her head out from behind the couch. "I was just asleep, and...I just..."

Stumbling all over herself, because all she could imagine was her hands on Nancy, tearing that bitch apart, because it was better than imagining what she had done to Sabrina and Lettie.

"One of you said her name," Lizzie said. "Nancy. You, uh...you seen her?"
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, Lizzie. Answer the question. Why? Are you really planning to kill her? Do you think you can?

"Lettie," she said. "And...and Sabrina. I..." There was a hitch in her voice. She closed her eyes against the sudden burning of tears and sank against the wall. She drew a trembling breath, fighting off another smothering wave of grief. It surged upon her all at once, and she almost reflexively wanted to picture the stupid woman in her hands, wanted to imagine fists falling and smashing her face to ruin to leave a trail of blood and...and...!

"She can't get away with it, can she? She...she can't."

She took another breath and stood up, wiping her face. "Sorry," she said. "Who are you looking for?"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
She probably won't, said Keith, but fuck that. Probably wasn't good enough. She needed to know for sure. She needed-

Someone outside the room. A face she recognized. A voice she recognized. "Yaz!"

Didn't matter that his first word was 'motherfucker,' didn't matter that he looked sullen and beaten as shit. She'd spent the past day looking for him to no avail, and now here he was, as though her quest had summoned him. And there was so fucking little reason to be hopeful, but now.

She pulled herself over the couch in one fluid motion, grabbing her bag as she went. She bounded over to him, not quite smiling but not really grimacing either. She stopped a little ways from him, not really sure what she wanted to do. She really didn't know him well enough to hug him, but she wanted to anyways. It was the first good news she'd had since they'd parted ways.

"Hey," she said. "I've...I've been looking for you."

The other woman spoke from behind her. Lizzie turned to look, and shook her head. "No," she said. "Sorry. I haven't seen her."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He stared at her, his eyelids fluttering. Lizzie had a lurching sense of terrifying unreality, like she was in a dream and unable to run, her legs turning to mush as the monster she feared came closer and closer and closer. And then he was falling, and all that came from his lips was a single, pitiful whisper: "Help..."

Had Lettie asked for help? Had Tina? Had Sabrina?

Lizzie was down on her knees before she even knew what she was doing, hands flying over his body, drawing on half-remembered lessons from school or from her parents or from some of prepper aunts and uncles. But she didn't know what she was looking for. She didn't know what she was doing. She was completely and hopelessly out of her depth.

One of the other women was at her side. Lizzie hadn't even noticed her arrive. She seemed to move with much greater confidence, and Lizzie left her to it, drawing out everything she could think of from her bag. She pulled out one of her bottles of water.

"Can you drink?" she asked, holding it near his lips.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He drank greedily from the bottle, water spilling across his face and shirt. Christ, he looked bad. Was he hurt? Like, really hurt? But she didn't see anything obvious, but she didn't know what to look for, but-

"I know," she said, because talking was easier than panicking. "I heard. That's why I-"

Keith spoke, and there was something awful in his voice, something hateful and spiteful and dismissive. Lizzie jerked her head up to glare at him.

"His friend got-" she started, her words almost insensible, just outrage and indignation given voice as best she could. "You-!"

So hard to find the right words. Instead, she turned back to Tyler.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"He wasn't moving."

Lizzie stared at him. Her mouth opened, then closed. She looked down at her empty water bottle. She looked at Yazzie's face. She looked at the people around her.

"Guys...guys...", said Alice. How strange this was. The people in this room...had they ever spent time together before this? How had they ended up here?

So much noise. So little said. Except for Keith. Except for Tyler.

How did Tina die? Sabrina? Lettie? Had someone stood by to let them die, just as Keith had let someone die? And if it had been Lizzie, would she have fought? Or would she have stood by? Why hadn't she looked for her cousins? Why hadn't she looked for Lettie?

She saw Nancy's face in her mind. She imagined her thumbs digging into those eyes. What did eyeballs feel like? Would they give way like jelly?

"Calm down, alright?" said Sandra, and Lizzie understood. She had understood for so long that it felt like breathing, so essential and invisible, beneath her notice. The Luz family was huge, plagued by their own problems and doubts and conflicts. Judgments, addictions, tempers, old feuds, old grudges. From the first moment she could remember, she had fled from those conflicts. The world was wide and wild, and the petty bullshit would just tie her down. She kept quiet, she did just enough to keep everyone off her back, and she kept moving.

And because of that, Lettie had died without Lizzie ever seeing her. Her family was dying, one by one. And Harold? Lizzie had led Tyler and Harry go, had left Astrid, because she was afraid of being trapped. Because the sheer weight and depth of Harry's support for Tyler and Astrid's determination to stay alive had scared her.

"I don't wanna be calm," Lizzie said, not looking at anyone in the room. What was the point of being calm? This was a hellscape where the people they loved and cared for were dying all around them. This was not a time for calm. This was a time for fucking rage. This was a time to dive into the petty bullshit, because there was nothing petty anymore, not with so many dead already. Her eyes found Keith again.

"You should have tried," Lizzie said. "And you know it, too."

She looked back down to Tyler.

"I wanna find Nancy Kyle," she said. "Wanna help?"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I want to-" Lizzie started, and then Sandra and Alice were bolting from the room in a tumbling, tugging, pulling mess of shrieks and furtive looks. Lizzie was so startled she stopped speaking and lost her train of thought.

"Thank you!" she shouted after them, because she didn't know what else to say.

Keith muttered to himself, not really looking at either of them. Lizzie spared him one glass of mingled curiosity and exasperation, then shook her head. Time was running out. She could feel it now, death breathing down her neck, making her skin tingle. Time had already run out for so many others. For Keith's friend. For Harold. For Sabrina, and Tina, and Lettie.

Instead of answering, she flipped open her bag and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. To anyone else, they would have looked like America Spirits, but Cris had emptied them of tobacco, remixed it with weed, and stuffed them again. 20 perfectly-innocuous spliffs.

Technically they were supposed to be for Lettie--he'd passed them onto Lizzie, since he knew they were both going on the science trip. But Lettie wouldn't be smoking again. Lettie wouldn't be doing anything again.

She stared at the pack for a long time. She didn't smoke--hell, she gave Cris shit for always sneaking off behind the house--but on occasion it was nice to be forgetful. It was nice to soften the world a little.

"Either of you got a light?" she asked.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Hope you brought enough for the class."

"I'm not that much of an asshole," Lizzie replied, taking his lighter and lighting her own spliff. She handed the lighter back to Ty, along with one of the spliffs. She offered the pack to Keith, in spite of the look of disgust on his face. She inhaled, tried to imagine she looked cool, and immediately lost that image as skunky, scorching smoke scraped against her throat and lungs and sent her coughing so hard she thought she might throw up.

"Sorry!" she coughed. "Sorry."

She leaned backwards against the wall, tears in her eyes from the coughing. But she breathed deep through her nose to catch her own second-hand. She'd always liked the smell of weed, and handrolled with some choice tobacco...she had to give Cris credit. She might think it was a fucking disgusting habit, but he almost made an art out of it.

She fingered the pack in her hand. The people who'd put her here...they must have left this for her, right? What did that say about them?

"It's your fault," Lizzie agreed. "Just like it's my fault. I should've..."

Should've gone looking. Why didn't you? Lily is somewhere out there, you could still save her, but all you think about is Nancy fucking Kyle.

"It's not just our fault, though," she said. "It's theirs." She nodded to a camera, gesturing vaguely towards the black collar around her neck. "And it's...it's the killers. Them mostly. They didn't have to...they..."

She closed her eyes, lifted the spliff to her mouth, and took another drag. This time she inhaled slowly, controlling her intake. Her throat tickled, but she didn't cough. She exhaled, and opened her eyes to look at Tyler through a cloud of smoke.

"I gotta know why," she said. "I gotta. I gotta know why she..."

"Before I go," she said. "I gotta know. And maybe...maybe do somethin' about it, if..."

She touched the collar around her neck like she was feeling for a pulse.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lizzie was quiet, eyes hazing out so she was staring at no one and nothing in particular, considering Tyler's question. Did it matter? Or was she just looking for some reason to find Nancy? Some way to convince herself she wasn't just looking to kill?

She thought of Alex, who she'd given her sword. She thought of Tara, standing precariously on the cliff's edge. She thought of Astrid, claiming in a shaky voice that she could be a killer. But anyone could be a killer, couldn't they? If Nancy fucking Kyle could...

And she thought of Harold, assuring Yazzie that he wasn't going anywhere, that he had his back. Assuring him that for all the horror of this place, they were still friends.

"Yeah," she said. "It matters."

She had laughed, because she was afraid, and because this was a thrill bigger than anything she'd ever really imagined. The electric adrenaline of exploring a place you weren't supposed to be, with possible killers all around, and here was Lizzie Luz, adventurer extraordinaire, here to talk some sense into the madness, here to forget her best friend and her cousin while she wandered, lost and idiotic, trying to avoid the noxious web of conflict magnified a thousandfold by the axe hanging over their heads, the leash around their necks.

Her fingers were still on the collar.

"Not just for me," she said. "For you. Why you hurt'em. Why you let'em go. We've all these things we're doin', and we've already lost so much and we're never gonna know why or how or..."

"I gotta know how she can do it," she said. "I gotta. And then...then, if she can't..."

Keith spoke. Lizzie looked at him. She felt a ghost of her old tightrope exhilaration.

"No friend search crew, huh?" she asked. "Wanna join a foe search crew?"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
[Wanna wrap-up and segue into Day 4 when Announcements come around? We can just continue here or new thread, whatever]

"I'm in," said Ty.

"Sure, guess I could," said Keith.

Lizzie's head was beginning to feel light, as though she'd put a pillow in between her nerves. High, was the term. She hadn't understood it the first couple terms, but she understood it now. Like you were above yourself, above this meat and all its placid unpleasantness. Like you were transcendent.

She stared up at the ceiling for a little while. She floated in the smoke, along with these two men she didn't really know. Yazzie, who she'd sought out because he'd lost, just like she'd lost. And Keith, who...

Who...

She looked at Keith.

"I'm sorry," she said. "About..."

She shrugged.

"I got cousins out there," she said. "I should really...I should..."

Lily was out there, for one. Emma, for another. Who else? Who of their stupid, huge, always-fighting, always-absurd, always-wonderful family was here? Who would be dead? Who would she find.

"We're gonna die, right?" she said, staring back up at the ceiling. "We're gonna...yeah."

No mad dancing vertigo, even through her high. She didn't feel the same exhilaration. She just felt calm. Also, she was talking way too much. Had been for awhile. She was just so...so...

Like there was something in sight she could see. Like a mountain. Like the roof of a building spied from afar, a place she had to reach, however she could, whatever it required of her. That feeling she'd had since she was a kid. That you weren't really free, weren't really alive, unless you could reach that place.

"I gotta know," he said. "Before I...I gotta."

She lowered her head. She smiled at each of them.

"I'm trying to say...thanks."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
[I'm just gonna assume we stick together at least until the next thread, so if either of you wants to start that one, feel free.]

Lizzie listened to Ty. Her eyes widened slightly. She didn't know there was anyone left he cared about. She'd assumed...

Well. That was kind of an asshole thought, wasn't it? Of course he cared. How could he not? There were people she still needed to find. Answers she still needed. Lily, at the very least. Maybe...

Hell. Maybe a lot of people.

She stood up, and dropped the spliff, and ground it out beneath her boot. She stared down it, and lifted her too-light head up to stare at him, and grinned a little, and stopped grinning, because Lettie and Tina and Rina were dead, and there was still so much they could lose.

"Okay," Lizzie said. "So let's find her."

She moved towards the door, not sure if she meant Nancy or Bernadette, not sure it mattered. She was in motion again, a Doctor with Companions, and a strange quest on the horizon. And for the first time in two days, she felt like it might all turn out okay.

Maybe that was just the weed talking. Rolled by the burned handler of her brother.

"Thanks for the weed!" she shouted to a camera in the corner of the room, and giggled, and kept walking.

(Lizzie Luz continued in Drip)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Jan 18 2017, 03:45 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Staff Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply