Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I'm Laughing. I'm Crying. It Feels Like I'm Dying.; A conversation
Topic Started: Oct 21 2016, 11:08 PM (359 Views)
The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Hi."

The word weighed ten thousand pounds and the Arizona heat he used to find so comforting tore at his flesh and soul. How funny that he'd accepted Stanford's offer at last before that fateful trip and now just wanted to run away to somewhere very, very cold.

He glanced around as if checking for snipers, before looking to Rochelle. Poor Rochelle, it must be even worse for her. They had agreed on him coming over to talk but now words were too heavy in his throat and he choked on each one.

"Mind if I come in?"
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I'm good, but thanks for offering."

Roderick hadn't eaten in two days. He knew that because his stomach was in open revolt, used to disciplined portion control year-round because off-season competition was a thing but not to nothing. It just didn't feel right to impose, even when Rochelle had offered, even when he had in fact eaten in this kitchen before. Hell, he'd cooked food in here too, occasionally; he could probably pinpoint where all the spices and ingredients he liked were with his eyes closed. He gave himself a moment to contemplate, the wood of the chair-back against his spine centring him a little. Water flowed over his lips and down his throat and tasted like acid but it went down all the same.

His eyes followed Rochelle, noticed the ragged look, the rushing to and fro, the tripping over herself to play host. After a minute he reconsidered. Let her have this, Roderick.

"Actually, yeah, I think I'll have some cheese. If it's no trouble."

Crackers had too much salt. Chips? Forget it.

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"No, not really. I saw Nadia wake up, heard her talk, and that's all I could take."

Her words, probably the last time he'd ever hear her voice, were burnt into his mind so completely he could repeat them verbatim. Was that selfish? As soon as she'd finished her speech Roderick had turned off the stream and spent the day shut up in his room. For the first time in his life he'd actually missed a workout. Pretty much the opposite of what she'd said to do but what the hell. How could anyone feel like training at a time like this?

The air was so heavy it pinned him into his seat and Rochelle's work at the cutting boards, a few seconds long so far, turned into an hours-long ordeal in his mind. His breath came like training camps at Flagstaff, where he used the elevation to increase his endurance and lung capacity.

"I'll... I'll be okay. Probably. More worried about you guys."

It wasn't his own flesh and blood out on that island, after all. Boyfriend or not, who was he to put his woes on her shoulders, when she was probably suffering so much?

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia's speech had burnt into the recesses of his mind, most likely permanently. In an instant he could recall every word, the exact inflection on each syllable, every little twitch and movement in her facial muscles as she addressed him from thousands of miles away on what could well be her final resting place. His brief silence was in no way lack of memory. How could he tell Rochelle that her own sister, who could be dead for all either of them knew, never said a word to her in that speech? That Roderick could hardly stand to watch more than a couple minutes after it?

The drumming of fingers on a marble countertop was the thunder of distant artillery fire. His cheese went ignored. What was the alternative, to lie? She'd learn the truth eventually somehow and never forgive him. He'd never forgive himself. Nadia wasn't his flesh and blood, how would he feel if he had a sister on the island and the only person who bore witness to what she had to say lied to him? He could practically feel his hands around the hypothetical liar's throat.

Delaying wouldn't help either. Keeping someone in suspense like this, in these circumstances, was mere cruelty. He placed a bit of cheese in his mouth to steel his thoughts, swallowed it half-chewed, sighed.

"She handled waking up there with a hell of a lot more dignity than I would have," he said, his voice rolling past his lips in a way not unlike a doctor giving a terminal diagnosis. "She made a speech to the camera, she was talking to me. Said she was probably going to die there but she'd do everything she could to get home. Told me not to let this hold me back, to keep doing everything I always told her I wanted to do. That she loved me and always would."

He'd nearly turned off the stream right there. His voice had fallen into a monotone so it wouldn't break and still he needed to steel himself again before he could go on.

"It looked like she was going to keep talking, my guess is to give a message to you guys, but she got interrupted. Some of our classmates showed up but they didn't attack her, they just talked and she left with them. That's all I could stand to watch."

He wasn't going back in there. Not even for Rochelle.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · V6 Meanwhile... · Next Topic »
Add Reply