Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
St. Patrick's Purgatory; Open
Topic Started: Oct 7 2016, 08:02 PM (1,134 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Tara Behzad running from The World Turned Upside Down)

She ran.

She started the moment a third person moved to join them, her head full of memories and visions of interlopers from past versions. A moment's guilt, as she thought of Hazel and her friend, making sure she was safe, making sure she hadn't been attacked. Good folks. Really good. But-

Always that but. Always that thought. She knew how dangerous things were. She knew she was going to die, but she wasn't going to die today.

Briefly, she even recalled another runner from another version. David...something. Always running. Never lingering one place, as crises and killing besieged him on all sides. 

She had less reason. And more. Had to run. To do otherwise would be to let the ghosts take shape. 

Along her coursing way she heard the screams and shouts, the laughs and glad cries, the sounds of battle. Along the way, she felt the island coming alive. She remember strong bold words that meant nothing. She remembered.

They had been beaten before, more than once. The game rarely went off without a hitch. There was always someone somewhere working, struggling, trying to bring justice, trying to find answers. 

Evening found her running along the shoreline, the sting of salt in her nostrils and in her throat, making her parched lips tremble with the need for the water she would not drink. It was hours since she'd started feeling dizzy, hours since she'd started feeling weak. She'd slowed, but she hadn't stopped. She wouldn't stop. Pain was clarity, giving her a sense of purpose, a sense of life.

She would die, and there would be no such pain. 

Finally, her quivering legs could carry her no farther. She sank into the damp sand next to an oblong piece of driftwood, and trembling fingers unzipped her bag and found a water bottle. She wanted to drink it all in one great swallow, but that was weakness, that was her body mastering her, and she would not allow that, she had never allowed that.

Half the bottle only, in four careful swallows. Her neck ached where the collar had been pulled tight against her throat. Then she closed her eyes.

When she awoke, it was dark. The moon had come and gone, and the stars were fading out. She stared into the bleak blue-black sky, her body aching from her run and from her fall, her throat parched and bruised. She looked like a victim already.

Not a victim never a victim I am me I am Tara I am not weak I am not

"Good morning ladies, gentlemen and those of unspecified gender. If you're hearing this, then congratulations. You're still alive."

Her breathing caught in her aching throat. She stared up into the sky, as though she could see the man speaking. In spite of herself, she smiled slightly. Yes. Alive. Alive. Alive.

"Our first casualty of the festivities was Jennifer Su. Friendly reminder not to play on the edge of bridges, guys. Florentina Luz found herself with a second smile when she ran into Isabel Ramirez in a bad mood; let's give a warm round of applause for the first person to bite the bullet and take someone else out."

One of the Luz girls was dead, huh? Didn't know how she was related to Lizzie. Wasn't sure it mattered. Dead was dead, and Lizzie had been so hopeful. Hated to see it.

"If you ever wondered who would be a bad person to run into in a dark room, well, you have your answer in Kimiko Kao. You have Cristóbal Morales to thank for making that discovery..."

She blinked. Cris? By...Kimiko? She had a vague impression of a slight Asian woman with a comic book in hand. Cute, too.

Do I have an Asian fetish?

Cute, to be a killer. To kill a man who hadn't even thought about his own death, before...

What happened to his friend? What happened to Abby?

"Abigail Floyd was our next to die. She opted out by slashing her wrists, making it just that little bit easier for all the rest of you."

No. Was that the same Abby? It could be, couldn't it? There'd been such naked joy in their voices. She could imagine what might have followed, if the one had died and that joy had come crashing down around them. She'd been there.

Raynor. Wherever you are. I hope you watch.

Her finger traced the scar along the inside of her wrist.

"Alex Tarquin got on the board when he went Rambo and slashed a piece out of Rea Adams. Nice form, Mr Tarquin."

Ego hadn't protected him very long, had it? Maybe there was a lie there, but it seemed hard to imagine how he could have accidentally slashed someone to death. More to the story, but there was always more to the story. Someone always failed.

Someone always failed.

The man mentioned something about a Supply Depot. She ignored that, until her collar beeped.

Oh.

She touched the metal with a delicate finger, tugged it so it pulled against her bruises, listened to its deadly tones.

She could sit here, and end it just like Abby had (might have?). But while she had no great joy to guide her through, neither did she have any great tragedy. She was not ready to die yet.

She was not ready to die happy.

She rose creakily to her feet, completely without haste. Her head swam dizzily, and she grabbed the half-empty water bottle, took a swig as salt stung her nostrils and sand scratched her underneath her clothes. She grabbed the oblong piece of driftwood and swung it over her shoulder, like the machete Alex had held. Like the one he might have...

She wasn't sure which was better. The machete, or the big-ass sword along his back. Lizzie's sword.

A dead Luz. A dead Cris. A dead Abby. Alex Tarquin made a killer. And another woman, whose name had been spoken twice already. Once could be coincidence, but twice in one day?

Twice meant a player.

They can still tempt us to be our worst, she thought, in answer to the boy's voice in her head.

The sky was lightening as she strolled. She was wandering aimlessly, her unfocused thoughts drifting like the wood in her hand upon the ocean, swept by tides too deep for her to name. She drifted along a low expanse of beach, humming softly to herself, the driftwood over her shoulder. She slowly came to a stop, and looked east towards the pink-and-gold vanguard of the sunrise. As she looked away, she saw a camera set agaisnt the cliffs.

She set down the piece of driftwood in her hand, and reached into her bag, fishing out the Crisco, her lighter, and a vial of red nail polish. She set to work with the nail polish first, in clean precise strokes on the driftwood. When she was done, she sat back, and stared at what she'd written.

In Memoriam: Cristobal Morales and Abigail Floyd, who were happy before they died

She lifted the piece of driftwood, turned it east, towards the rising sun, then west, to where it would set at day's end. Lastly, she lifted it towards the sky, as though daring God to read it.

She set it down, and set to work again. Gathering scrap from all along the beach, dead leaves and grass and twigs and whatever else she could find. She set the driftwood down upon the makeshift pyre, and did her best to light it. It took a few attempts: the lighter was for cigarettes, not for this kind of work, and even if she didn't fear the heat it was a rather clumsy thing. But eventually, she got the fire going. Nothing she'd used was particularly clean or dead, so a thick curl of dark smoke rose up at once. She inhaled deeply, let herself cough so it panged her neck and throat still more. It reached the driftwood, and touched the nail polish, and the toxic sickly-sweet scent was at once alluring and revolting.

She grabbed the Crisco and peeled back its top. The stuff within was crumbly and chalky to the touch, but the residue was greasy and slippery as she'd expected. Experimentally, she patted it down along the back of her left arm, tracing her skin with subtle fingertips, raising goosebumps along her shoulders and neck.

But she needed clarity now, if she was going to do better than Cris and Abby.

She held her left arm above the fire, palm up. She felt the grease on her arm start to crackle and pop, acrid and awful, sunburn magnified a hundred times. She gasped involuntarily, took a step back. Then an awful look of hate and anger crossed her face, contorted it to a narrow snarling point. She almost lunged forwards, lowering her arm further, punishing herself for the moment's show of weakness.

It was only pain, and if there was any hope of dying happy in this hell, she would need to master it.

As her memorial to Cris and Abby burned, so did she.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Good morning!"

Tara stiffened in surprise, pulling her arm from the fire and whirling to face the source of the sound. She felt the tight pinching pain in her arm, and held it down at her side, breathing slow and shallow. She didn't think anyone who said "good morning" was an enemy, or at least not a very clever one, but this was not how she wanted to be found. She had not wanted to be caught off-guard.

She couldn't quite make out the person standing close to the dinghy. But she could see the bat on their shoulder.

"People are dead," Tara said. "I don't think there's anything good about it."
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tara smiled slightly. "Yeah," she said. "A really shitty morning."

A tentative voice from the dinghy. She turned, saw Jasper's diminuitive form peeking out, hesitant. Well, that was smart. This was a weird place to play bold. But then, what other choice did you have?

She considered his questions for a moment, then flipped her arm over and stared at the shining red of her skin, the bubbles of blistered and broken flesh. No trace of the shortening, besides a faint greasy gleam on the peripheries of her burn mark. She nodded, and sat unceremoniously in the sand, pulling out the first aid kit. Burns were new to her: she preferred pain that was a little easier to hide and treat. Although...if she'd worked in a kitchen she could have given ehrself grease burns ad infinitum with no one the wiser. Missed opportunity.

Her thoughts felt very distant. Her head felt very light. Her throat felt very dry.

"No," she said. "Not."

She started treating the wound she'd inflicted on herself.

"I met Cris and Abby, before Kimiko..." She trailed off, and shook her head. "Cris hadn't thought about how he wanted to die. Hadn't even..." There was a tremor in her voice. Was that exhaustion, or something emotional? Even she wasn't sure.

"He wanted to find Abby," she said. "He was so happy when he..."

Her vision felt a little fuzzy, black bars encroaching on what she could see.

"So," she said, gesturing to the fire slowly dying at her side. "My memorial, for the dead who didn't deserve it. A fire, and my flesh." She pulled bandages tight across the bubbled skin, leaned back into the sand as her head swam.

"How do you guys want to die?" she called, and her voice sounded weak even to her ears.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Silence. In part because she was thinking over what they had said. In part because her head was swimming, her arm was tight and crackling, her vision blurry. Had she pushed herself too far?

Go down swinging.

Can't we all just be happy?

"What's the point?" she asked.

A moment's silence. It took her a second to figure out she'd actually spoken.

"Go down swinging," she said. "You're not alone. Lotta people are gonna go down swinging. Lotta people already have. Yesterday. And in all the games before."

"And happy?" She shook her head, though she was smiling slightly. "It's a...it's a nice thought," she admitted. "I'd like it. But even if you did..." She tapped the collar on her neck, and the slight reverberation undulated across the ragged scraped and bruises on her throat.

"Can you be happy?" she asked. "Can you go down swinging? Can you-"

A new voice. Tara struggled to crane her head, her neck fighting her for every inch. Leslie Price. Tall. Kind of a statuesque stunner, really. They'd met in some writing group. She couldn't remember which one.

"Hey," she said. "How've you been?"
Edited by Grim Wolf, Nov 3 2016, 11:32 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jasper left. Leslie lay in the sand without answering Tara's question. Junko snapped and growled like a chained dog.

The fire was dying, it's toxic-sweet smoke curling up into the air, its embers dulling. The pounding in Tara's bandaged arm hadn't stopped. She didn't want it to. Pain brought focus and clarity. Pain kept her aware of the necessities. Of all that would be required of her, before she was to die happy. Like Cris. Like...

Like so many.

She rose slowly, almost fell as her head swam dizzily. She allowed herself a drink of water as the silence stretched, and a nibble from one of the ration bars. She stared at nothing.

"We're all gonna die," Tara said.

She put everything back in her bag, and rose to her feet. Her head swam again, but this was easier to deal with. Her throat didn't feel quite so dry.

"Me," she said. "You. Her." She jerked her head to Leslie, and then up in the direction Jasper had gone. "Him, too. One of us might walk away. But that's no guarantee. And if you do, what? A couple decades? We were always dying."

She moved towards Junko. "You want to go down swinging 'cause you think you'll get to live? That's dumb. You want to go down swinging 'cause that's the only way you can live with yourself?" She smiled, and it softened her severe face. "I think that's beautiful."

She crossed over to Leslie, looked down at the tall girl, smiling still. "You're gorgeous, by the way," Tara said. "I always thought so. Just wanted to make sure you knew."

But there was no time for anything but passing conversations, learning as many stories as she could, and she needed to get moving again. Time was short. She couldn't see the hourglass, but she knew she was running out of sand.

She started running again, her neck aching, her arm pounding, a smile on her face.

"Go down swinging," she whispered thoughtfully, as though tasting the words and trying to decide if she liked them.

(Tara Behzad continued In This Starless Night)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Nov 10 2016, 03:35 PM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · The Cove · Next Topic »
Add Reply