Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We're Here Because We're Here
Topic Started: Oct 3 2016, 10:36 AM (788 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Lizzie Luz continued from Thirteen Steps)

The question stuck with her. She couldn't shake it.

What did you do to live? What was the alternative, with a gun in your hand and a collar in your neck?

Killing was wrong. Unequivocally. With a guilty giggle, she found herself thinking of the Doctor. To resort to violence was a failure, wasn't it? But then, the Doctor still killed so many threats. Wasn't that what made him terrible? Wasn't that...

Focus. He's fiction. You're real. And you're really going to die, if...

She found her strange dizzy mania didn't quite fade as the day want on. As she drifted across the island, she thought, and thought, and feared, and laughed, and could not find an answer. When night began to fall, she did not try to find a bed: she found the most abandoned corner of an empty building, not too far from the gangling radio tower. She fished her rumpled brown coat from her bag, shoved it beneath her head, and slept a restless, dreaming sleep. A sleep filled with visions of blood and guns and the figure of the Doctor, talking madly.

She awoke only at the squeal of static. To the sound of the same merciless man who'd told them of their fate.

She listened drowsily, and felt the first stab of hurt as she heard the name of Jennifer Su. Poor girl. Lizzie remembered Tara standing on the edge of the cliff. Had it been like that? Had it-

"Florentina Luz found herself with a second smile when she ran into Isabel Ramirez in a bad mood; let's give a warm round of applause for the first person to bite the bullet and take someone else out."

She sat up all at once. Any trace of that strange mania vanished.

Tina? Artsy, grass-in-the-ass, quiet Tina, sneaking weed with Cris behind the compound? No. No, come on. That wasn't...no!

"Up next, Nancy Kyle took it upon herself to take an axe to Scarlett McAfee. Ten points for guessing what happens when hatchet meets human body."

The name hit her like a physical force, hammering into her ribs. She gasped audibly, clasped at her heart as though she could feel it breaking. Not Lettie. That wasn't possible. She hadn't even thought to look for her. Fuck, Lettie! Fuck, Cris! Are you okay? What are you gonna think, when you see...

And Nancy fucking Kyle? Anime weaboo dramabitch who had killed her fucking friend?

"In a fun little turn of events, Conrad Harrod got twitchy and in short order Harold Porter got opened up. Harold didn't hold on for much longer than that, and bled out."

For shit's sake, no! Harold, soft-spoken and determined? Face-to-face with the horrors of the world and standing by his friend, refusing to run? More noble than she'd known was possible? So noble she couldn't resist-

"Alex Tarquin got on the board when he went Rambo and slashed a piece out of Rea Adams. Nice form, Mr Tarquin."

Slashed a piece out of Rea? How? With her sword? With the sword she'd given to him, because he'd talked so big and dreamed so large and she'd wanted to believe there could be Doctors?

Lovely Lettie, learning Spanish from her and kissing Cris on the sly. Tina, always watching. Alex, who'd seemed larger than life until he killed. Harold, who was larger than life, 'til he got killed.

It was all too much, all at once. So many people she'd known dead. Another she'd known, turned to killer. Fuck, had Astrid been right? Were they all gonna...were they...?

She sank back into her corner, pulled her legs tight against her chest, and started to sob, angry and grieving and daunted all at once. Crying because she felt so wronged, and so powerless to make anything right.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yo, someone in here?"

Voices at the door. She looked up, panicked. She'd just heard that monstrous list of the dead. She'd lost the brave man she'd barely down, and the cousin she didn't know well enough, and the friend who...who...!

Who was left that she could trust?

She stared at the two people who'd just burst in, eyes still red and cheeks still damp. Jae? The weird Asian goth kid. And with him was...

Oh, Nessie. One the guitarists for Peyote Coyote. She rubbed her eyes, almost smiled, and then remembered that one of the men she'd met yesterday had killed someone.

"Hey."

"Uh," she started. "H-hey." She sniffed again, tried to clean her face. Stupid. Why are you embarrassed about crying? After what you just heard, who in their right mind wouldn't be sad?

And who in their right mind wouldn't be scared?

"Sorry," she managed. "J-just...Harold and...and Lettie and Tina, you...y'know?" There was a hitch in her voice. Fuck, she'd never been much of a crier, but she couldn't imagine it. How could it be possible that she'd never seen Scarlet again? Never see Tina? How could it be possible...

What the fuck?
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I'm really sorry"

"Yeah," Lizzie mumbled. "Me too."

And suddenly there was a whole fucking crowd of people, and yesterday that had been hard enough, but today? Today, when she knew how many of her classmates (including Alexander god damn hypocritical asshole Tarquin) had already turned to murder? How could she possibly feel safe?

Worse than that: how many of these people would be dead before the day was over? How many others would lose their friends and...

Harold.

Harold, dead after all he'd said to Tyler Yazzie, with the fearsome rep who only wanted to look after his friend. How had that gone down, she wondered? And what did it say, when the great debater couldn't talk his way out of this?

What did it say to any hopes of heroes who could keep the blood from their hands?

"Have, uh..." she started. "Have any of you seen Tyler Yazzie?"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lizzie shook her head at Jordan's question. "Sorry," she said. "I was just...sleeping. I didn't..." She gestured around at what electronics there were. "Also, I'm...I'm pretty dumb about electrical stuff, so..."

It seemed this strange gathering was already beginning to go its separate ways, and Lizzie felt a strange stab of guilt. She had been frightened, panicked, grieving. She still was, really. There were killers loose on the island. She'd given one of them her sword. Had he used it to kill Rea? Would he have killed Lizzie? Would he have killed Tara?

So many questions she didn't know the answers to. So many dead who shouldn't be dead. Lettie. Tina. Jesus.

"Thank you!" she called, as Jae faded away with Hazel. And she meant it. Because knowing that in the moment of pain, you weren't alone...that meant something. That was real in a way so few things were. Because they reminded her that, whatever horrors had been unleashed in this place, there was still good to be found.

Lettie. Tina.

She could not escape their ghosts, however much she might want to. However much her hands might tremble, whatever tears might swell in her eyes. They were with her now. They would be with her for a long time to come. She reached for her bag, but...

But now was not the time. That time would come. Now was a different time.

She stood straight, breathing deep, trying not to cry. She smiled at the few people left in the room. Smiled particularly at Vanessa.

"Tyler and Harold met up," she said. "Harold told him that...that he didn't have to be alone. That they'd find a way to win." Her smile flickered, but did not fade. "Thank you," she said "I'm glad I wasn't alone."

She adjusted her bag, and moved to the door. "But he shouldn't be, either."

(Lizzie Luz continued in Last Days)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Nov 7 2016, 02:40 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Radio Tower · Next Topic »
Add Reply