Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I'm covered in beads!; Gag on my eleganza
Topic Started: Sep 29 2016, 12:21 AM (1,574 Views)
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sure, I'll bounce something by you later. Probably won't be too expensive, since you're in the US and I'm still basically doing this at-cost. I just want people to be able to enjoy the creations physically.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Pikachu, spoilered for size

So, notes on this one? I guess this is more like Gen II Pikachu rather than Gen I, but I guess he's still kinda chubby and hasn't conformed to society's standards of beauty, so I'm going to count it. I was also considering doing the Gameboy colors on this one (that are kinda funky and have more red around the ears and stuff) but decided against it for simplicity's sake. Plus, it looks nicer this way. Also this thing is HUGE, needing all four pegboards to fit properly. M:tG card for scale, as well as a more standard project.
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, Oct 11 2016, 01:09 PM.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

Dannyrulx
Member Avatar
The guy who went AFK for a few months
[ *  *  * ]
That is absolutely adorable.
If I could sort out my freakin' Paypal I would buy it. but alas alack I cannot.
You don't win the game of death by dying first. The name's a little misleading.

My Characters

[/spoiler]

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kefka, spoilered for size

Alright, so, Kefka. Hoo boy. A few notes on Kefka.

The size: Kefka is mercifully small; by bead count, he is easily the second or third smallest project (after Elesh Norn). This was such a great mercy to me because...

The palette: Good god almighty, Kefka's colors are deceptively hard to figure out. He's operating off of the weird SNES 256 color palette which has some strange tans, browns and greys I can't possibly account for with my beads. I did the best I could to approximate his hair but bounced between three different sets of skin tones for his face before settling on one that didn't make him look like Kim Kardashian. The body was significantly easier, but Kefka is wearing more yellow trim than I remember him wearing, which is a pain for somebody who is almost completely out of yellow after making that gigantic Pikachu.

So, true to form, Kefka was adept at making me hate everything, but now that he's done I quite like the look of him.
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, Oct 11 2016, 01:06 PM.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I did the best I could to approximate his hair but bounced between three different sets of skin tones for his face before settling on one that didn't make him look like Kim Kardashian.

Kefka Kardashian
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Madotsuki

Not super proud of this one. Madotsuki was a hassle for a few reasons. Assembling her was a bit difficult because her sprite has about four different shades of brown for her hair, while I've got two (at best) to work with. However, at the end of the day I think I mostly got the colors right, simplification aside.

Unfortunately, Madotsuki is probably my first project where I really cocked up the ironing and the beads are overly flattened on both sides. I picked the side where the beads were more consistently melted rather than looking more patchwork (which the other side does). I also usually over-melt the first side I iron for structural integrity, something especially important with her as she has sensitive areas prone to falling apart (note her pigtails and hands). However, I forgot to flip her onto another pegboard so I could over-iron the back and instead did so to the front. Then her 'new' front melted less consistently and... yeah.

I think the queue is actually cleared for now. Huh.
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, Oct 13 2016, 12:50 AM.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ah geeze this is the coolest shit

Could you please do Mob, from Mob Psycho 100?
a tribute for the dead and dying

Posted Image

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Icon!
[ *  *  * ]
Woah, Madotsuki looks awesome! Sorry for giving you such an inconvenient sprite to work with, but I think the result looks pretty nice. Thanks for taking the time to do this, it's super cool!
~~~~~ "We were wrecks before we crashed into each other."

NOW: V7

SOON: V7

DEAD: V6

MAYBE: V?

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kefka looks really amazing! The others do as well, though I am less familiar with the source material in those cases.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jyushimatsu arrived in the mail today!!!! It was the perfect thing to find when I came home from work. I was not expecting it to be this large, but this thing makes me so damn happy I'm so grateful for it. Thanks MK!!!!
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
*offers a bow*

Basically everything else I've made is for sale, just in case anybody is interested. Most of them are going to be around $7.50 and I can give you my Paypal, though I think the Pikachu will be like 9 bucks instead (it's REALLY big).

Obviously, international deliveries would be a little bit tricky so... this is mostly domestic right now. Sorry guys >_>
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

Slam
Member Avatar
My Critique Process
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's because it's me isn't it
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cactuar.

Posted Image
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Getting my shit in order but yes, this is still open. I just need to figure out how I'm doing Mob.
V6 Tributes

Things We Say

Slam
Member Avatar
My Critique Process
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Feel free to say no cause it's not 8-bit but I'm curious to see what you'd do to this:

Spoiler: click to toggle
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Artist's Alley · Next Topic »
Add Reply