Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V6 BKA/BDA Voting: September 2016
Topic Started: Sep 26 2016, 11:03 PM (841 Views)
Mikazuki
Unregistered

Best Kill Award

Isabel Ramirez is our post prolific killer so far, and my pick for BKA. However, I think it should be for the death of Tina Luz. While Conrad's death sticks out in most people's minds because of its sheer cruelty, I personally think Tina's death is a more interesting look into Isabel's psyche. Isabel committed the first deliberate murder of V6, and Turtle did an excellent job of developing her rationale. Tina's death is part of Isabel's buildup as a character, and the first stepping stone deserves to be remembered.

Best Death Award

There's a couple of tragic deaths this time around: Abby Floyd in particular has truly heartbreaking death post. However, she is narrowly beaten by Harold Porter's, because the emotion of his death extends past his death post. Most of the other deaths are over quickly, or at least contained in a few posts. But Harold filled a thread with a long, drawn-out death, and his companions contributed a lot as well. Harold's, Ty's, and Clarice's posts weave together to create a truly heartbreaking death scene. Boogie, Medic, and Plush all deserve commendations for how well the thread was put together.
Goto Top

The Ghost of Ravenstar
Unregistered

Best Kill : Alvaro Vacanti for chucking Barry Banks off the belltower, holy shit this was great. One of two deaths that I did not see coming. When you choose Best Kills from an IC perspective however, you have to take into account how it will affect the winner. I get the sense that a lot of our killers this month would be killing no matter what. But Alvaro? Barry's death cannot be called an accident, but Alvaro isn't exactly planning to do it again. Winning the BKA will leave plenty of impact. It will turn what would be a one-off killer into a player. I like that. I want that. Give the pizza and katana to Alf.

Best Death : Abby Floyd. Mad respect for someone knowing when the time is right to pull the trigger. Abby's death was shocking. It was also incredibly fitting. It is the only death I can say with full confidence that has stuck with me the most since reading it.
Goto Top

guest fawkes
Unregistered

bka - Boy 032

Well, it was a great choreographed scene with Rea being killed and Will wanting to seek revenge. IC giving Alex a good weapon is extremely entertaining for the terrorists. Even with the scene currently being ongoing, it is thrilling to see the dynamic that happened to the killer of rea and the boyfriend of rea. I sense a rivalry incoming. Also, do I even need to mention Alex' profile? Alex+guns = murder. The terrorists love that. Also Grim+Guns = awesome fight scenes incoming. Alex Tarqwins my vote with that kill.

bda - Aura the Master of all Foxes who also are kinda misfortunate (tm)

The scene was really perfect. It was really creative to use the 'falling out of the tower thing' with the fact that the island is hella old and that he falls down from it with the allusion of the tower being really instable. It was believeable. Also, the Jonathan and Barry chemistry was great and Jonathan's mourning really made Barry's death even more sad. 'twas for me the most moving death of day 1. It was a good, believable and not too-silly or comedic accidental death and I felt really, really sorry for Barry. This is how a day 1 accidental death should be. Barry did not only have an impact for having a really sad death, but should also be rewarded with a quote.

Even if he already has one quote captured IC.
Goto Top

Unregistered Voter
Unregistered

My vote for BKA goes to Deamon's Kimiko Kao. Early kills are always hard to pull of well, but this kill flows well from the characters and the situation around them. The escalation from theft to the fight is natural and you can feel the shift from doubt to panic in Kimiko that leads the death. Her panic is all too real, and the feeling works very well for this scene.

For BDA, I nominate RC's Conrad Harrod. While the lack of breaks hamper the flow of Isabel's kill, it provides an amazing space for Conrad's reaction. The use of length and short punctuating lines help extend the timeframe of the death making the sheer torture of the situation clear and the interweaving of dialogue and thought is done particularly well to emphasise the sheer desperation of the situation.
Goto Top

Somber_Lupine
Unregistered

BKA: Kimiko Kao. Nice paranoid escalation, beautiful accidental kill.

BDA: RC for Conrad Harrod. Far and away the best death post. Existential, serious, lovely.
Goto Top

Unregistered

Isabel Ramirez, for killing Conrad Harrod

dmboogie, for the death of Harold Porter

THIS VOTE WAS DISQUALIFIED DUE TO LACK OF RATIONALE.
Goto Top

William Penn
Unregistered

Hmm, best Kill has to go to Nancy Kyle for me. The pure tragedy of her descent into madness had already resulted in two injuries, and this is arguably the point where she crossed the moral event horizon. Her mentally unstable personality plays out really well in this scene, and I almost feel really bad for her here. She's like a cornered animal, lashing out in self defense. It wasn't her fault at all...

My vote for Best Death Award goes to Abigail Floyd. This death hit me the hardest, out of all the deaths this time around. Inter spaced biblical quotes with descriptions of her further descent into despair, culminating in an ambiguous end. We don't read a description of how she felt when the pain shot through her arms, or how much blood there was, because we don't need to, here. All we know is that she's in a better place, and that itself is heartbreaking enough.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Alvaro Vacanti, for ending the life of Barry Banks.

This early portion of the game seemed to have a lot of instances of "Character A kills Character B by reflex/in a struggle gone wrong/etc". Of these, I think that Alvaro's posts best captured the terror felt by somebody who hadn't meant to take things quite that far.

BDA: dmboogie, for the death of Harold Porter.

I feel that these posts really did a good job of conveying someone feeling at peace even as they know that they're dying.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Reminder: Just under eight hours left for votes. Also, all votes need an explanation/ stated reasons or will be disqualified.If you voted and did not provide any discussion, you should resubmit your vote with reasons stated; staff will check the IPs and delete the older, invalid votes.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

Best Kill: Kimiko Kao. This kill was appropriately brutal and also something that was really unique to Kimiko as a character. It's quiet, fearful and I love the motivations in the scene and the atmosphere. She's not perhaps a bad person, but SOTF pushed her to do things she thought were a good idea at the time which will have fascinating consequences. A tip of the hat to her scene partners especially for making it all-around great, but I really liked the writing and the complicated emotional nature of the kill.

Best Death: Harold Porter. This was a lot tougher. I think we had a lot of good deaths this month. Short as it was, I wanted to shout out Cristo Morales, Jennifer Su (short as it was) as well as Scarlett McAfee and Barry Banks for also having great deaths. There was something in each of these deaths that hit me right in the blood pump, but I'm giving it to Harold. It was an appropriately touching scene and I liked how his relationships played into the death. Heartwarming, hopeful and sad.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's a wrap! Vote reveal and announcement are forthcoming.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · Contest Voting · Next Topic »
Locked Topic