Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Notes from an Even Smaller Island
Topic Started: Sep 23 2016, 08:47 AM (1,693 Views)
KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Emma Luz continued from You Could Have a Dream About Losing Your Friends))

People can survive anything.

Emma knew this all too well. Growing up in Kingman’s prepper community meant that she had an idea of how far people were willing to go to survive. Of course, the community did have its fair share of people who were willing to believe pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and other myths. Some of them even believed that there was going to be some kind of doomsday event looming over them someday. However, the fact that such a community would exist at all meant one thing: people wanted to survive. Emma thought of Grandpa Gregory. He had a long life, and experienced tons of things. Emma could remember that they’d used to joke that his blood was practically motor oil by this point, and that he was going to live forever. She’d also read various stories of people’s attempts to survive. She liked reading stories about zombies and post-apocalyptic scenarios. Call it morbid, but there was something fascinating about reading about people trying to survive against the odds.

Point is, Emma knew that if you put someone in a dangerous situation, they will try to live. Human determination was just that powerful. And that made Emma feel a little more confident. She was still drowsy, sure, but the chemically induced feeling had almost worn off. Now that she was feeling a bit better, though, she remembered the assignment she had to do in Social Studies. As she leaned against Amanda, she tried to remember details from it. People survived it too, of course. Not just the “winners,” either.

The goal for the next few days was to stay alive, obviously. Hopefully that shouldn’t be too much of an issue, and that they could find food, water, and a safe place to stay easily. She wasn’t sure how long they’d be here, but it was good to assume that it was for about a week.

They had made their way upstairs, and found themselves in what she guessed was a hospital ward. It was, by far, a better place to stay than the lab in the basement. While it was still somewhat dim, there was natural light peeking out of a window. So far, they hadn’t seen any disturbing things like the diagram, which was a plus. Sure, there were barred windows, but it was a step up. It didn’t seem as claustrophobic, either, and not as wet.

Jaime and Lucilly were ahead, but they had stopped when Amanda had told them to wait up. Oh, a bed?

“Finding a place to stay would be nice,” Emma said, in thought. “I mean, in here. It seems tons better than the basement, at least.”

Amanda seemed to be having some difficulty with her leaning against her like this. Emma did feel a bit better, so it might be good to stop for the time being?

“I’m feeling a bit better. Is it alright if I try walking a bit?” she asked.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Once Emma had untangled herself from Amanda, she noted how her legs still felt a little wobbly. Her eyes still felt exhausted and unfocused. But again, it was an improvement. Her steps were more steady.

“Oh, and uh… thanks, by the way,” she said, a small smile on her face.

Amanda had tried to open a door, and… it wouldn’t budge? Emma guessed it was rusted shut, or maybe it was locked. By who, though? She didn’t want to think about that. Maybe just that: rusted. Emma clasped her hands in front of her, hoping it was just so old that opening it would be difficult. Sure, some part of her wanted to find someone friendly, or her cousins and sister.

Lucilly had approached another door, but suddenly stopped. Emma couldn’t see her face, but the silence set her on edge. Emma had a bad feeling. Lucilly pointed her flashlight towards the ground, and while Emma couldn’t see what she was looking at, she seemed to tense up. Emma felt her own muscles tense up when Lucilly started shouting and Jaime cursed.

“Blood?” she asked, her voice going high.

Someone got hurt here. Who, she didn’t know, and she couldn’t see the blood for herself. But it was fresh, recent blood. Blood could mean anything. Her own blood started pounding. It only got worse when Lucilly started to run the other way.

“Hey, wait!” Emma yelled.

Lucilly, Lucilly was running, and someone had to go after her. Emma felt her own legs moving. Her footsteps stomped underneath her, but there was one problem. That problem was her legs weren’t entirely steady yet. She felt her foot trip a bit, making her balance uneven. Her right hand used the wall for support as she tried to catch up to her. Her legs felt like they were made of jello. She didn’t want Lucilly to get hurt, or lost, or-

“Lucilly! Wait!”
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, that seemed smarter.

Amanda told them to stay there while she went after Lucilly. It was clear that Emma was still in no shape to run after a spooked Lucilly. Amanda was more fit, more able. So, she nodded and went back, her heart still pounding and her hand still keeping her balanced against the wall. Somewhere she heard Lucilly cry out an apology in the distance. Hopefully that meant that they were coming soon.

Emma placed- no, slammed, even if she didn’t intend it- the bag onto the ground. Her heart was pounding faster. She knelt down on her hands and knees. Amanda was more fit, but Emma knew first aid. So did Jaime. It made sense for them to stick around in case someone was still here. There was the possibility that the blood’s owner was still around. Still alive. She unzipped, and took out the tin kit in a swift manner.

But what if the person who did that to them was still here?

She pushed it aside.

Jaime asked a question. It was a bit of an odd one, and a bit… poorly phrased? It was blunt, at least.

“Ah… I have a sister. You know Sabrina, right? She was on the trip. Some of my cousins might have, too.”

Thinking about it a bit more, Emma knew lots of people. People from the student council, people from band and orchestra. Tutors, study buddies, you name it. For a moment, she imagined the possibility of the blood having belonged to any of them. Their last moments could have been in pain, or they could be pulling themselves into hiding, the blood trailing behind them. She frowned. She didn’t like thinking about it.

“Maybe some people from band or student council,” she added.

The more she thought of it, the more that she thought of that one possibility that the blood was theirs. She shifted nervously. Emma didn’t want to, but her head turned towards the direction Lucilly had been standing. The blood still shone in the dim light. It was a lot. If someone didn’t do anything soon, if the person was still alive… she didn’t like thinking about it.

She wasn’t sure if it was an appropriate time to talk about this, but she had to ask.

“What about you?”
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah, so Jaime was friends with Conrad too, then. Of course. Emma knew who Junko was. The track team captain, right? She was friends with Cris and Haley too, she was pretty sure. She didn’t know Junko too well aside from that. She always seemed a little... well, Emma didn't know what to make of her. She probably wasn't a bad person, though, right? Alessio, on the other hand, was a quiet boy. He was into robotics, right? Maybe he was friends with Lily.

Oh, there were a lot of people to look out for. There was the rest of student council, of course. Memories came back. She remembered Conrad, and how they had run in the same election this year. He as the Vice President, her as President. He had trouble with his speech, but he made a quick save in the end. He served his council duties well, as long as she'd known him. Joshua, Joshua was the Vice President for the Juniors. He always came with a bunch of enthusiasm. He was also the Tennis Team captain, and played flute and piano. She didn't know Alex, the Treasurer, as well as she could have, should have. But she remembered that he was super into fight choreography or something like that. Bridgette was here too, she was sure. Bridgette was smart and a perfectionist. They were part of the school's band and orchestra together, too.

Speaking of which, there were a lot of people from band, too. Jeremy, for one. He always had this odd sense of humor. She remembered that one day in Health class, for example. They'd made jokes about how the bananas chose who was worthy. Danny and Haley were there too, weren't they? She didn't have that great a relationship with Jonathan, but she had to wonder about him, too. Was he here?

Sabrina was definitely here. She didn't want to lose her. She... just didn't. Her cousins were probably here too. At least, some of them. Cris was somewhat gloomy, but he was incredibly talented at baseball. Lily was smart, too, and Tina? Tina... had been there for her when she wasn't feeling well. Haley, they'd bonded quickly with Jeremy that one time for a reason. Eliza had done urban exploration and hiking, and it meant that if she had to hike through some kind of literal mental asylum...

For a moment, Emma felt vaguely nostalgic. But the horror came back just as quickly. The blood could have belonged to anyone. Anyone who came to mind just now, that could have easily been theirs. Or even someone she didn't think of right off the bat. Jaime even reminded her of how they could easily be killing each other, or getting killed by someone.

Emma went silent for a second. The tin med kit felt heavy in her hands. She nervously shifted her legs underneath her as she looked around for the source of the blood.

"I hope not," she said, a sad smile on her face. "Let's just... keep our heads up, alright?"

Lucilly and Amanda hadn't come back, she realized. She could still hear them talking, though she couldn't make out what there were saying. Hopefully everything was alright. Hopefully.

"Jaime?" she asked. "Have you seen anyone? I mean, like, if someone comes by injured..."

Her fingers wrapped around the clasp, wondering if she should open the first aid kit. She looked around. There was still a possibility that they'd hidden in one of the rooms.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Ah... that's what I meant. I was thinking that if someone comes by hurt, we could, you know, help them out."

If they're still alive, Emma added mentally, but she stopped herself from thinking that.

Then Jaime decided to insult the terrorists.

“Shhh!”

Emma looked around her, as if something expecting to happen. She didn’t think their abductors would appreciate someone insulting them, and if they were petty enough… were they petty enough? Well, they were terrorists. She wasn’t sure if something would happen if they started yelling at them. She remembered a detail. It came up when she did her project, and they'd mentioned it during the briefing. Emma touched her neck, feeling cold steel. If they wanted to, they had the ability to kill them literally at their fingertips. Just a press of a button, and then... gone.

It didn't help that Amanda and Lucilly still weren't here. But their voices were getting closer. That was good. If it turned out the terrorists were the type, though...

"Anyways, they want us to kill until only one of us lives, but... I don't want to. It's beyond disgusting. You don't want to either, right?"

Jaime most likely didn't. Even if she had a temper, she still was a good person, right? She'd been with them for this long without anything happening, and she just insulted their captors. Amanda and Lucilly, they were good people too.

"I hope something happens. Maybe someone will send a-"

She cut herself off in realization.

"... boat."

Emma remembered another detail. In 2008, over 250 were abducted. But about 30 made it home. That wasn't a huge number. But it was something, anything. There was a way out.

"Jaime," she said. "Do you hear about the one class that got kidnapped? In 2008? They were able to rescue some of them. If we hold on long enough... we might be able to go home, right?"

Home.

That seemed like the most beautiful word right now.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Timeskip approved, but lemme know if there are any issues.))

“Oh, you’re back!” Emma said, a small smile on her face for a split second.

However, she stopped for a moment at Amanda’s question. She looked down at the tin case still in her hands. They were still supposed to find out where the blood came from, weren’t they? But they’d… gotten distracted. Every second lost was another moment someone was still hurt, and… they could not have much time. Jaime had distracted her. No, shouldn’t blame her. They both were distracted.

If the person was still here… still alive, there was probably still hope for them. Probably. She turned her head to look at the shining puddle of blood. There was a lot. And yet, here they were, distracted. The longer they dawdled, the less chance someone could have.

“Perhaps they’re in one of the locked rooms?” she asked.

They’d spent the past two nights in this ward. It wasn’t a pleasant sleep. Emma sometimes had trouble sleeping to begin with. Whenever she mentioned it, some people thought it was ironic. But it was something that was actually pretty normal. Anxiety, though, hadn’t helped at all with actually getting some rest. It didn’t help that because of it, sometimes her sleep paralysis would act up. It wasn’t a nice experience. The sensation of being trapped and the occasional nightmare imagery wasn’t fun. Trying to get some rest while people around you are dying wasn’t fun. The two combined? Was uncomfortable as all out. When she repeatedly tried to lay down inside one of the rooms, she’d see a shadow of someone standing in the doorway, and feel her muscles lock up. Just a hallucination, she’d tried to tell herself.

They’d left her pills in the bag, though, which was good. It seemed like they’d removed a few from the bottle, so Emma had checked to see if they had been tampered with in any way. Other than there being less, it was still the same light purple pills she’d been taking.

She’d try to remind herself of another thing. Emma still remembered the story about the boats. Around 30 had made it home, but only out of 250. They weren’t able to save everyone, but there was a chance, wasn’t there? They just had to keep moving on.

A few times, Emma would hear noises. Sounded like people talking, but she didn’t dare investigate. They never did find out where the blood came from, but the announcement the following morning gave them an idea. She hated it. Tina, her cousin, one of her first friends, was dead. Conrad and Joshua had died, too. Scarlett, a girl from orchestra, she had been killed with an axe. Conrad had killed someone else before his death, too. When Emma heard the news, she was shocked. The same person had killed both Tina and Conrad. Isabel Ramirez. She was a girl who you’d think she’d be on closer terms, but never really was. But she remembered that she was a mean-spirited person. She’d bullied Tina before, didn’t she? And now she’d killed her and Conrad. She tried to remember the person who Conrad killed. Harold Porter, wrestling team, right? Kind of an opinionated person, but he was a very idealistic one too. He didn’t deserve to die. No one deserved this.

Emma didn’t know what made Conrad kill Harold, or why Isabel did the things she did. She didn’t know why Jasmine, a girl from the anime club, had killed Joshua, either. All she knew was that there were dead, and they weren’t coming back.

The rest of the day was still and quiet. The entire time, Emma thought of Tina, Conrad, and Josh. She didn’t really cry; she was still too shocked for that. If anyone asked how she was, she’d just smile and say she was okay. But the weakness in her limbs told her otherwise.

Soon enough, the next morning came. And Emma couldn’t even get past the first few names this time. Her vision doubled, she felt dizzy and weak. After a certain point, she just quietly slipped back into the cell she’d been sleeping in, closed the door, and plopped herself onto the cot. Even as she felt her body grow numb, the names and jokes kept going. She felt like throwing up, but she didn’t move. Eventually, it stopped.

It felt like an hour before she eventually lifted her head. Maybe it was shorter, maybe it was longer. But she wasn’t sure if she could go out to see the others anyways. They’d comfort her, say something, anything. But Emma, perhaps for the first time in her life, wanted to be alone.

She slowly pulled herself back up into a sitting position, her limbs still shaking and weak. This was all some kind of sick dream, right? She just imagined the announcement. Maybe she was still tired, or maybe she misinterpreted. Maybe the announcements were just jokes and misdirection to get them paranoid. She tried to come up with any explanation preferable to the alternative.

Eventually, she stood up, and walked towards the steel door. With a bit of hesitancy, she opened it again. She stepped out, and sat down on the dirty floor. For a moment, she didn’t know what to say. Instead, she just let out a:

“Hey.”

Her eyes were cast to the ground.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
When Emma came out of her room, the first thing she had expected was them commenting on the announcement. Maybe trying to comfort her, ask if she was alright. Not like she wanted it, though. She wasn’t sure what she wanted right now.

She looked up. Emma tightly closed her eyes for a moment. Leaving. That’s what they were discussing right now. Amanda, apparently, had been getting antsy, and… well, she didn’t want to sit around here anymore. The other two seemed all for it. Lucilly stepped towards Amanda, Jaime said “sure”. Emma… was conflicted. They’d been safe here thus far. On the other, it wasn’t like staying here was going to be good for their mental health. She felt like she’d have a clearer answer under different circumstances, but…

Her thoughts wandered. She tried to remember what the morning of the trip was like. It was normal, nothing special. She and Sabrina ate breakfast, then headed to school to get on the buses. Obviously, they didn’t know what would happen. She couldn’t have foreseen that it was possibly one of the last, if not the last, times she’d seen Sabrina alive. Emma couldn’t even remember what they had for breakfast, or any conversations they had, or anything particularly notable. It had already started to fade away, like something that happened a few years ago.

With a few swings of an axe, someone had ensured that it’d be the last time.

Emma tried to focus on the topic at hand, but it was hard. Stay or go? That was the discussion. Amanda wanted to go, so did Jaime and Lucilly. As relatively safe they’d been so far, there were a lot of advantages to leaving. She’d remembered that there was an odd smell coming from one of the rooms, that only seemed to get worse with each hour. They’d never investigated, nor did she want to. And… it was better than the lobotomy theater, certainly. But maybe staying here wasn’t the best right now. Maybe they needed something better. A change of pace? And, some part of her wondered. Could they have done something to help Sabrina if they’d left? Tina? Conrad? Josh?

Emma tightly blinked again. She loudly breathed, in and out. Some part of her hoped they wouldn’t notice.

“I’m for it. Just… I might need a moment. Maybe”

She wasn’t sure if she was up for walking right now. Some part of her simply wanted to curl up alone somewhere, not talking to anyone. But another part of her told her they needed to leave. Keep moving. Walk. Get out.

“We… um, might… need more food and water, anyways. We’ve got plenty of food, you know, in the bags, but… uh, only four bottles. Might be a good idea, to look around for more water, just in case.”

Her voice was quiet, meek, and cracked. Emma’s hand slid to rub her neck, as her eyes once again looked towards the ground.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah, they agreed with her on the water thing.

Emma nodded at Amanda’s suggestion. If they were going to leave, it was good to pack up. Slowly, she began pulling herself upwards. Standing was, once again, a little tricky. Her muscles didn’t fully cooperate, but she could manage. Once she was on her feet, she rubbed the back of her neck for a second, before she realized she’d spaced out again.

Packing. Right.

She slid back into the room she came out of, and saw her things laying on the ground, where she’d left them. Her bag was left zipped up, and she’d put everything back when she was done using them. Except for one thing: her first aid kit was placed on top of it, just in case. They still hadn’t found out where the blood came from, or even if the person was still alive. For a moment, Emma knelt to get a better look at it.

They’d wasted time. Even now, she could remember how she and Jaime got distracted. They’d spent too long here, and now? Two announcements, too many people lost. She wasn’t sure what she could do, but she knew she needed to be doing something more than what she had. Safety was a priority, and for the past two days they hadn’t been in any danger. But was it worth being safe when others weren’t? Emma’s eyes narrowed for a second, then slowly, she unzipped her bag, placing the kit on top. After zipping everything up, she slung the strap over her shoulder.

Her hand was once again on the door, but she looked around her for a moment. Was she sure about leaving? Still safe, still no problems other than food or water. But she resolved herself. They had to leave. It wasn’t worth it to stick around weird smells, lack of resources, and dingy wards. It wasn’t worth it to…

She opened the door.

As she began walking towards the exit, her fatigued mind tried to remember a few details. They should have sorted out the water thing a long time ago, to be honest. But there were ways to get some. Plants did give off condensation, so they could gather it overnight that way. If it rained, that’d mean water literally coming out of the sky. Inland might be a place to go, since fresh water was more likely to be further from the beach.

Her mind hit a block. She’d just remembered that she went on a lot of family camping trips growing up. Kingman was full of campgrounds and hiking trails, after all.

Emma stopped for a moment. Her eyes once again connected to the floor. A small shiver ran up and down her body. But she looked back up, and continued walking. Without realizing it, her steps were fast, heavy.

Sabrina had never really liked camping.

((Emma Luz continued in The Greatest Sideshow on Earth))
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Intensive Care Wards · Next Topic »
Add Reply