Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Heel-and-Toe
Topic Started: Sep 2 2016, 07:47 PM (613 Views)
CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
[Lili Williams continued from Never Known Questions]

The first thing that had caught Lili's eye on the other side of the bridge was the tower spiraling up towards the sky. It loomed over everything else on the island, stretching like the Eiffel Tower onward and upwards until it hurt Lili's neck to look any higher. She had put the white sneakers in her bag after she finished crossing over. They had probably belonged to the owner of the abandoned bag, G023. For the time being, Lili was keeping herself mentally occupied by humming more of her favorite songs as she walked. She had gotten used to her new reality as far as location went, but knowing that someone - someone that Lili could've known - had already succumbed to the sick game they were made to play? That was too much.

As far as Lili was concerned, Spiderland had yet to consume its first victim.

Lili walked through the gate to the utilities compound. Briefly, she glanced at the other two buildings inside. She thought back to her map, and realized that she must be looking at two warehouses, one for vehicles and the other for, well, whatever was worth storing. Lili made a mental note that she would pay the general warehouse a visit later for supplies. She figured that there would probably be something worthwhile inside. For the time being, Lili walked over to the radio tower and the building beside it. The tower itself had been overtaken by nature. Even if it wasn't, what would Lili do about it? She didn't intend to climb the damn thing, did she?

Instead, she turned her attention to the small building next to the tower. She thought that it must house the radio equipment inside, but she figured that anything that could be used to contact the outside world would have been cut off or disabled. They took her binders and pencils, for whatever reason, so why wouldn't they have the foresight to shut this place off, right?

Lili didn't really have any reason not to go in and check it out, so she walked over to the door and twisted the knob.

Perched on a chair at a desk full of levers and buttons was a small, impish girl. She wore an army helmet on her tiny head, stray hair spilling out the sides and back. Lili squinted at her and realized she recognized the Soldier as Lily Caldwell. Lili was roughly aware of her as her classmate who - phonetically speaking - shared the same name as her. The two had several classes together in the past, but as far as friendship went...they were on neutral terms. Lili was still yet to find somebody that she'd consider a friend. Of course, she'd take anybody who would be friendly to her at a time like this, anyone who wouldn't stick a gun in her face or demand that she trade. She feared that she was beginning to crack, despite the relative peace she had found in the past couple of hours or so.

Then, she saw the red-stained bandage on Lily's hand, and froze. That was, for certain, blood, showing through the bandages on her hand. Was it hers? Someone else's? Lili took a step back instinctively, her shoes scraping into the dirt. There was only one way to find out the truth about the red stained hand, anyway, and that was to ask. She cleared her throat.

Lili tapped her nightstick lightly, still in her hand, against the side of the door frame.

"Hey, Lily," She said, with a half-enthusiastic laugh, "It's Lili."

She couldn't think of anything else to say. Was there really anything else to say? Instead, she just looked at the floor. Her shoes. Anything but the crimson gauze tape.
~~~~~ "We were wrecks before we crashed into each other."

NOW: V7

SOON: V7

DEAD: V6

MAYBE: V?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
And then again, someone was pointing a weapon at her. Maybe she should stop sneaking up on people.

Spiderland hadn't been kind to Lily, it seemed. Her dress was flecked with more blood, and as Lily gripped the mirror shard with both hands she got a better look at her wrapped up hand. Still red. Still bloody. Lili shivered.

"Well," Lili replied, "I expected as much. First they leave a helicopter on the roof of the warehouse, and then they taunt us with this? It's just too much." She caught her breath, holding her free hand to her chest. Lili tried not to stare at the crimson splatters on Lily, but no matter how she tried to look away, she found her eyes creeping back towards the dots of blood.

"You..." Lili began, then stopped. The last thing this girl probably needed to hear was another word about the blood all over her. It wasn't going to do Lili any good to bring it up. Lili was scraping the bottom of the conversation barrel. She needed something, anything to blurt out to break the silence.

"...Fuck," Lili settled on, "That's a badass helmet."

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
"I mean, I might as well check," Lili answered, "Just in case." Lili didn't think that her real reason - that she just felt drawn to the tower, as if pulled by an invisible force - would be appreciated. As far as she knew, Lily was a very rational, studious person, and she wouldn't take too kindly to that kind of answer. It was a bit of a cop-out, either way.

She noticed Lily going back to pick up her map, and thought about where someone like Lily would want to go. The girl was smaller than her, and being the rational thinker she was she would probably want to find somewhere to hide and wait the game out for a little while. If Lili was smart like that, she would be doing the same thing. Instead, she was drifting around Spiderland like a paper bag caught in the wind, blowing back and forth until eventually snagging on a pole or coming to rest on the ground.

And paper bags tear easily, after all.

"I'm guessing you heard the bell earlier," Lili replied, "I'm guessing you aren't planning on checking that out?"

If she was going to drift, she might as well keep Lily company, right? Birds of a feather flock together, and the two were but one feather apart. Sure, it was kind of a stupid reason, but at this point Lili was worried that being alone wasn't going to be good for her health.

But maybe being alone was what she needed after all. Everyone she had met so far had messed with her in some way or another, so what was the point in seeking out more people? They'd just toss her to the side, or try to take advantage of her apparent weakness, or point more weapons in her face. Spiderland wasn't just full of scared, dangerous strangers, it was full of scared and dangerous enemies. Hadn't Lili learned her lesson by now? She had never been one to socialize, so why was she so desperate for company now? A band of pain swept across the back of her head. She needed a cigarette, and she didn't think Lily would have one on her. Nobody was being of any help to her, and everyone seemed to be out to get her.

She just wanted to prove that narrative wrong. She wanted to prove herself wrong.

"It's probably not best to go over there, anyway," Lili remarked dryly, "Just makes it easier for the people playing."

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
Lili nodded, and took a seat next to the control panel. Everything looked perfectly fine on the surface, but Lili figured that the wiring had been cut, or the screws inside had been taken out. Could she fix it? Could anybody fix it?

"I woke up there, actually," Lili said, "At the tower. Didn't look like there was anything in place to ring the bell." Whomever it was, she felt like it was best she stayed away from them, at least for now. That kind of company could only drag her down. Lili noticed her company's eyes on her, but did nothing. It was only natural to check out whoever you might be with at a time like this, scan for threats and the like.

She set her bag down on the floor and reached over, unzipping it. She then pulled out a bottle of water, took off the cap, and sipped at it lightly, staring again at the controls. Something about this whole place just felt off to her, but for some reason she felt like she wasn't going to be leaving any time soon. It was just a gut feeling, but deep down she felt like it was true. At the very least, that truthful feeling was something she could rely on. Something to keep her strong. She stretched her arms, reaching forward as far as she could, interlacing her fingers and yawning. It felt good to stretch. Lili knew that she had the skills to keep calm, meditation skills and yoga poses that would keep her centered, so why was she still shaky? Even if it wasn't so much on the outside, she was still uneasy on the inside.

"Hey, I know it's a bit of a long shot, but do you have any cigarettes?" Lili asked. She figured she might as well. She knew that those could breathe some calm into her. Keep her rooted to the spot, at the very least. Something grounding. With her cigarettes, she could do much, much better here. She might last long enough until help came, or until something else put an end to things.

Something, or someone.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
No smokes. Figured as much. Lili was getting a little impatient, but it wasn't anything that she'd throw at Lily. She hadn't lost her self-control yet, not as far as anger went. Lili hadn't ever really had an outburst back home, and she wasn't going to let that get the better of her here. Plus, Lily had a shard of glass in her hands, and she didn't want to be on the receiving end.

"Nobody's started playing," Lili began, "But people have already started acting weird. When I woke up and went to the top of the bell tower a girl with an eye-patch pointed a gun at me, if you know her. She didn't threaten me, it was more of an instinctual thing, but...it wasn't a pleasant way to wake up. Then I was held up on the bridge over here by Kaitlyn, this Senior girl, who wanted to trade stuff with me. She called it 'Toll Booth', and if Alan, another Senior, hadn't come along, she probably would've tried to take my stuff. Oh, and Scout showed up too, but I left before I could really talk to her."

"Nobody's started to play the game, though," She continued, "Not that I've seen or heard."

She didn't mention the shoes. She figured it would be best to not tell about it.

"There's ten bars, by the way. Four bottles of water, two loaves of bread and two tins of crackers. I can vouch for the crackers, they don't taste all too bad. Helps if you've got an upset stomach, too." Lili rested her head on her hand, putting her elbow down on the control table, and sighed. It wasn't a bad amount of food, but they really skimped on the water. Would there be working faucets somewhere on the island? She doubted it. Besides, if they all had the supplies they needed, what reason would they have to fight? Especially with water, since you dehydrated pretty fast if you went a while without it. The decision to limit water to four bottles wasn't an accident.

"What about you?" Lili asked, leaning back in her chair, "Who'd you run into so far?"

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
Coleen Reagan and Jasmine Reed. She knew Coleen's name and face from the arts department at school, and that she was the lead singer in a local band, but being in two different grades basically put a wall in between the two. Lili had seen Reed in the halls before, but her overly outgoing personality hadn't been very welcoming in the past. If she had run into those two instead of Eye-patch and Kaitlyn, Lili figured she would've had an easier time waking up, but ultimately she didn't really want to switch places with Lily.

"I got a third of a loaf of bread, for a protein bar," Lili said, "And I gave Alan a protein bar and a quarter for his weapon. Poor guy got a plastic light saber from Star Wars. He gave me a bar with his light saber too, so I didn't really lose much over there." As she spoke, Lili took the light saber out of her backpack and inspected the handle. The blade portion of the toy was retracted, a red button on the handle the trigger to open it. Lili tried to press it down, but nothing happened. Don't tell me this thing's defective, she thought, Such a waste!

Then she noticed that there was the faint imprint of an arrow pointing downwards on the button itself. Lili tried to move the button like a switch in the direction it was pointing, and the blade shot out of the handle, which made Lili jump a little. The plastic shaft was colored purple. Lili wasn't an expert on Star Wars, but she was pretty sure there wasn't anybody with a purple light saber. Lili found that pulling the plastic blade out a little further would fully extend it, keeping it in place, and that pulling the button down again would make the blade collapsible.

She swung it around in the air in front of her for a bit, distracted by how light it felt in her hand. At the base of the light saber was a small plastic clip, similar to one that you'd find on the cap of a pen. She clipped it to her waist, sliding it so that the light saber hung outside her jeans on her side. The feeling of the plastic toy on her hip was somewhat comforting. She found a new hope within herself, hope that maybe she wouldn't suffer as much as she thought. Of course, the threat of other students turning violent hung menacingly in the air, like a phantom. For now, though, Lili was content to sit and rest for a little while.

If I'm going to be a Jedi now,, Lili thought, I might as well be a good one. She turned and looked back over at the other Lily, returning to the conversation at hand.

"Hey, there might be running water somewhere here," Lili remarked, "It's a small chance, but it's still possible. I wouldn't get too worried yet."

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
Lily seemed like she was pissed off.

Of course, it didn't really phase Lili all too much. She should've figured that a girl like Lily would've been somewhat annoyed at Lili's seemingly illogical trading habits, but she was surprised that she didn't pick up that Lili had only gained supplies. Nothing of value was lost, back at the toll booth, but Lily didn't seem to care about that part. With her comment on the water, Lily made it sound like she heard a suggestion to just lay down and die, when the opposite was the reality. Lili just wanted to calm down.

"I'm not saying to just forget about the water, just that we should try to get more information before we start to panic," Lili said, shrugging her shoulders, unfazed by the comments Lily made about the sleeping gas. It was entirely possible that they gave her too much, considering her weight being under the healthy average for her age. She was going to add something on about the trading, but she figured that much was beside the point. "There are two warehouses on the island, and one of them is just down the road. There's gotta be something in there."

And, well, even if you aren't planning on killing, you could always just scavenge. Pick out the supplies from other people's bags that might have been left behind, she thought, but she didn't say that much aloud. It was tempting, but she knew that if Lily was losing her cool, it was all the more reason for Lili to keep hers.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
She pondered Lily's words for a moment. She had a point about the running water thing, a fact that didn't sit too comfortably with Lili but was more than likely the truth of the matter on Spiderland. As she made more remarks about people playing, Lili realized that she was glad that her earlier comment stayed in her head. Optimism had run its course long ago, its limp corpse floating across the tumultuous water in a viking funeral pyre, burning brightly even in the midday sun. It was now the Aeon of Realism, and Lili wasn't going to cling to the past any longer than she had to.

"You've got an argument there," Lili admitted, "It's not gonna stop me from checking the warehouses, but the chances of me finding anything are pretty slim, I guess. I'm not exactly comfortable with waiting until it rains to gather water from the sky, either. Then there's the whole trade thing, but that's not likely to go far. What else is there, then, stealing?"

Lili wasn't a sneaky person, but she could probably manage to nab one or two bottles from people if they were careless. She didn't have much of a backup plan if she was caught, though. A nightstick was a handy tool to knock people unconscious with, but then there's the whole "waking up" thing to deal with. Anyone on the receiving end of a nightstick swing wouldn't be very happy with Lili. They'd have more than a few choice words for her if they managed to catch up.

"How long do you reckon it'll take before everything goes to shit, then?" Lili asked, "Before people start getting really, crazy." She was just making small talk, considering Lily had been the friendliest person she had met so far. Lili hoped the two could at least leave the building on good terms.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
"Oh, cool," Lili remarked, "You found a pencil. I'm guessing they took all of your writing stuff too, so you found that somewhere around here?" Lily was making two separate lists of people, "Players" and "Victims", but neither could be filled at the moment. They had far too little information to be able to do that kind of thing yet. She was probably waiting for tomorrow's announcements.

Lili remembered the shoes in her backpack, and wondered if she could show them to Lily. Would she recognize who they belonged to? How angry would she be that she had kept a secret from her? No, the risk was too great, Lili decided. She'd find out anyway, come morning.

"Who do you think we should watch out for?" Lili asked, "As far as potential players go, that is." She wanted to make it clear to Lily that she was on her side, the light side of the force. She carried around a purple light saber, which was undefined in its alignment, but she was certainly not a member of the Sith. Lili took her lighter out of her pocket and tossed it lightly up and down in the air. She needed to keep her reflexes sharp at a time like this. The second she stepped out of the building, someone violent could be waiting. Heck, someone violent could come through the door right now, barge in and shoot them both.

Lili looked up at the entrance, and did not look away for a long time.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
Lili was small, relatively speaking, and she had been bullied when she was much, much younger, but she didn't have anything close to a firearm. Either way, she technically fit a few of the other Lily's criteria, which unsettled her a bit. As for Caedyn, though, she knew that she'd be more than a little unstable here. Lili had done her very best to stay out of Caedyn's way when they were in school together, but even from a distance her antics seemed toxic at best. Lili agreed with a nod of her head.

Her mind wandered back to the shoes in her bag. The thought that someone could have jumped from the bridge already, at this early in the game, sent chills down her spine. Inside her head, she berated herself for not checking over the bag, but she just didn't want to be near the toll booth group any longer. It was seriously unnerving. Even just thinking about it made her hand shake. She caught her lighter one last time and put it back in her pocket, fearful that if she tossed it anymore that she would drop it.

"Do you think," She asked shakily, "Anyone would've...done something else drastic?" Lili danced around the exact words, biting her tongue.

She waited for a response, anything that would reassure her that the owner of the shoes hadn't done something drastic, that she had only left her bag and shoes because she had gone a bit loopy, but wasn't dead. The chances were very, very slim, but she held onto them all the same.

What if it was someone she knew? The thought left a bad taste in her mouth. The only person she could really pin as likely to do something like that would be Asuka, and she knew that Asuka's more depressive days had passed a year ago, and even then she wasn't depressed in a suicidal way. The rest of her loosely knit circle of friends and acquaintances weren't people she'd pin for suicide right away.

So who was it? Maybe Lily would know?

Lili stayed silent, going still in her chair.

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
Wouldn't count anything out, huh? Lili probably didn't want to take the shoes out of her bag, then. Not a good idea to turn that into a thing already. She'd never hear the end of it if Lily told anyone else. People would think that she wasn't trustworthy.

"I've never even seen a clip," Lili replied. It was a half-lie, as she'd accidentally seen a clip once while browsing the internet looking for obscure music, but the clip wasn't of anything particularly shocking - or if it was, Lili had clicked out of the tab before it could happen. Lily was right, anyways, about drastic being a wide definition. Maybe she should test the waters a little?

"What I mean is, well," Lili continued, her voice trembling a bit more, "People have probably...taken fate into their own hands, before, right?" It was the best she could do to not outright say the word 'suicide' at the moment. She began tapping her fingers on her thigh, miming a song she'd memorized on flute. Would she ever hear music again? Even if she somehow did, would it ever be the same?

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
She was relieved, but she was also crushed. Crushed that she hadn't been able to tell Lily what she had found, and crushed that she hadn't been able to change her pattern of running into unfriendly people.

Most of all, she was crushed about the fact that she would be alone again.

Lili slumped back in her chair.

"Okay," Lili replied after a short pause, trying her best to sound unfazed, "Good luck out there."

CrossbowPig
Member Avatar
Tryhard
[ *  *  * ]
Lily walked out through the door.

"I'd be much more careful about who you approach from behind in the future."

Lili sat still in her chair, watching the space where Lily had been only moments before. She didn't know how long she had spent staring at that spot when she finally got up from her chair, only that she needed to find someplace else to go. Someplace with people who weren't cold to her. Did she need to go anywhere with people, anyway? She could make it on her own, right? Why make friends when you have to kill them eventually? She hung her head low as she stood up. She wasn't going to play the game if she could help it, but if she lasted long enough that she had no choice...

Lili sighed. She had already decided just a little while earlier that she would check out the warehouse just down the way, and she wasn't intent on forgetting about that. She just hoped that she'd find someone pleasant there, someone who would convince her that she wasn't going crazy, that she wasn't cursed. Georgia Lee? Asuka? Even maybe Ben Fields, he was nice to talk to. After she swung her bag onto her shoulder, she gripped her nightstick with both hands, holding tightly to stop her shaking fingers from trembling any longer. Once again, she looked at the open door. On the other side, Spiderland. Inside, refuge from her fellow classmates until they found her or until the area was declared off limits. Would she spend her last few days in solitude, or would she risk her life outdoors? More importantly, did she have the strength to do either?

She doubted it.

Lili stepped outside.

[Lili Williams continued in Consuelo's Departure.]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · The Radio Tower · Next Topic »
Add Reply