Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Tropes Page Needs YOUR Help!; Aka pls help Zarina and co. to make it great.
Topic Started: Sep 2 2016, 05:08 PM (911 Views)
Fran
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
The tv tropes page has a reputation on this website, whether bad or good, it is still our main mean of bringing newbies in and adverstise our writing.

On the top of head, I can bring the alignment picture of V4 that should be change to something more recent and polishing the current tropes we have, and maybe put our examples (ex. "You got to have blue hair") on the official page. Please recommend stuff to fix/change!

List of thing to be done:
- Update the picture of DnD alignment (maybe with v5/v6?)
- Polish some stuff here and there
- Maybe put our tropes on the official pages (most of them are already done but I could double check)
- TBA

Also if you want to recommend tropes, I guess this is the place to do it?
Follow this format though:
<tropes name>: <characters involved/situation> with a tiny witty line like "lol she died because of chronically ill dying girl lmao" and giving a reason why it should be on the page (a good reason can be "lmao she did a Japanese suicide while being Chinese" or "it's funny".)

Please get the permission of the handler to put a maybe-derogative tropes on their characters.
me by naft
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lore
Sep 2 2016, 05:08 PM

- Maybe put our tropes on the official pages (most of them are already done but I could double check)
Clarify? Unless you mean trope pages.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the "post recommended examples here" thing? People should be able to put in what they wish, it's a wiki after all. Especially since bad examples can easily be edited or removed.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

Fran
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler
Sep 2 2016, 05:33 PM
Lore

Clarify? Unless you mean trope pages.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the "post recommended examples here" thing? People should be able to put in what they wish, it's a wiki after all. Especially since bad examples can easily be edited or removed.
true true but if someone isn't sure if they should put it up though, that's what I meant.
me by naft

Aura
Member Avatar
Has seen that which cannot be unseen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think we have an updated D&D picture, and to be honest, I think the one on the page now is pretty good.

If we can make a better one though, then I'd be fine with it.
Posted Image

Characters

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think the main problem with the current image is that it's V4-related. It's V6 now, and it might be good to find one that's more current.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Humiliating things I caught you guys saying

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Posted Image

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Aw man I just realised I never drew the v5 one. ...although I think the voting stalled out early on the main game one and the pregame one got muddled to hell by people voting for their own characters. Be neat if there was a 'applicable to the game as a whole' image that could be put down, so that it wouldn't have to be updated, but given the character-and-death-based nature of the game that's kinda difficult.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe we could just pick some examples from SOTF's entire run and make an alignment chart based off of them?
Posted Image

Characters

Posted Image

Violent-Medic
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Does it have to be an alignment chart? I like alignment charts and all but it's hard to give a good representation of the game that way.
V6 Characters

V5 Characters

Fran
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Violent-Medic
Sep 2 2016, 07:07 PM
Does it have to be an alignment chart? I like alignment charts and all but it's hard to give a good representation of the game that way.
No necessarly, but something sotf related about the more recent versions perhaps?

An alignement chart was the thing I had in mind, but maybe the island would work?
me by naft

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe someone could draw a picture of one of the survivors, or perhaps a group shot of them.
Posted Image

Characters

Posted Image

CondorTalon
Member Avatar
Banki Assembly Line
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lore
"lmao she did a Japanese suicide while being Chinese"
y this
Let's show that private threads still aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on the island in V6. If I started a thread in-game, you are welcome to join it.

In the past...

In the future...

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Don't have a ton to say on TVTropes, but image-wise I've got somewhat mixed feelings about alignment charts. What I really like about them is that they celebrate a wide range of characters, and I don't really like the idea of putting forth winners/survivors/the most murderous villains or whoever as the brand representatives of SOTF, as it were. All of those sorts of characters are interesting and important, but the real beauty of our story is its ensemble nature, the way characters who die before the halfway point without a kill to their name can be fondly remembered and have just as deep and key and interesting stories as the dude who kills twenty-seven people and goes home to become a nuclear physicist or whatever. The V4 alignment chart does a great job of that... except that a. it's V4-only and b. it's an alignment chart.

What I don't like about alignment charts (and what pains me and leads me to often be less than constructive in discussions about alignment overall) is that alignment represents a massive moral simplification with a side order of personality quiz heaped on top. Alignment springs from very specific quirks of a particular style of fantasy world, one where "evil" is not only an identifier one may objectively hold, but also one that many aspire to. There are, like, evil clubs for the evil and so on, and while it's not exactly black and white, much of that comes either from the system not surviving contact with actual play (given that most people enjoy at least a tiny bit of moral ambiguity), or from diving fully into the bizarre nature of such a world and playing it to the hilt, or from ignoring or lampooning it and using it in name only. Part of the joy of SOTF is its myriad shades of grey. Even our very concept stems from characters being thrown into a situation where conventional ideas of morality don't cleanly or easily apply (the reason one handler years ago famously insisted that SOTF in fact belonged to the post-apocalypse genre). Alignment charts are catchy, fun, and popular online, but I just feel they simplify something in a way that does the game a fundamental disservice if it's the first line of advertisement.

That's, of course, not to say I hate alignment charts as a fun thing to be made and shared. I think they're really cool in that context (which is the context that Little created the V4 chart in; it was pressed into service on the TVTropes page, iirc, because it existed and looked nice, rather than being created for it). I'd love to see more, for versions, for the game overall, whatever. If we're looking to specifically replace, though, I have a few thoughts.

What I do love so much about the current image is how it captures the variety of roles (it features two survivors, three characters who died before the halfway point, killers [including the version's biggest], pacifists, player-hunters). I love the way each character is given a little spotlight through a quote encapsulating their personality. If there were some way to have something like that covering the whole span of the story, and in some way stripped of the whole alignment shebang, I think that might come closest to capturing the spirit of SOTF accurately.

Really just musings, though. I dunno. I don't hate charts. If we're aiming specifically for an upgrade, though, I'd love to see it be the best it can be, and this is mostly a ramble about that.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

TwelveFourtyFive
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CondorTalon
Sep 3 2016, 03:02 PM
Lore
"lmao she did a Japanese suicide while being Chinese"
y this
I think the taking off the shoe was meant?

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's been some discussion about getting a new header image for the front page of the wiki, and I think that whatever that would end up being might also be appropriate for the tropes page. If we want a picture that has a bunch of different characters on it, I think an alignment chart or something similar is the simplest way to implement that, though I do see where MW is coming from with his criticisms of it. Perhaps something in the vein of the current alignment chart, but without the morality scale explicitly listed, so as to focus more on the variety of characters and maybe a quote from them that gives an idea of who they are.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Slam
Member Avatar
My Critique Process
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's too bad SOTF doesn't just have an outright logo we could use.
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply