Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Benjamin Lichter's social circles; Need friends. Will otherwise have to invent them.
Topic Started: Aug 19 2016, 12:31 PM (214 Views)
Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Hello,

I've created two social circles for Benjamin and thought I'd ask if people are interested in having their characters be part of them. I looked through all the profiles in the student roster and didn't think any of the characters really fit for these two groups, but I'd like a second opinion from their handlers if possible.

The first would be a group of oddballs; not necessarily straight A students, but a few people who didn't really fit into any other clique and sort of drifted together out of the wish to have a circle of friends. A communal activity they would partake in relatively often would be going to Sumac Park and picnicking.

The second would be a tabletop role playing group, with emphasis on role playing. Not all members go to Cochise.

A third "group" would be one or two people who remember Ben from middle school. Not really friends anymore (not close friends, anyway), but who remember his former habit of climbing trees and the like, as well as his old nickname "Squirrel".

Benjamin's relevant hobbies include kite flying, hiking and listening to pop music (and role playing, of course). He does love romance novels, but keeps this a closely held secret and likely won't bond with people over this (which I find sort of a shame, given the number of people who also had this listed in their hobbies, but it would be out of character for him to be open about this). He dislikes homosexuality due to latent christian morals, but this doesn't exclude the possibility of friendship - he just disapproves of it. His personality is open, generous and modest, and won't (and can't) generally hide his feelings, but he has only socialized in high school and is sometimes a bit awkward about it.

He makes a bad first impression, since he has a(n undeserved) mischievous look about him, so characters who bank on this will be given to distrust him.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:
Chloe Bruges [ - ] - You'll find her doing math.
Joseph "Joey" Quintero - You'll find him writing speaches.
Keith Rogers - You'll find him out with his gang.

In the unlikely event you want to use my characters...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Hey Cicada! I remember Ben from the profiles. It sort of surprised me to come across a character who was so similar in many ways to my Ben, including the name, but I didn't think they would really work as friends. But having Ben Fields be a friend from middle school who stuck up for him makes a tonne of sense, and I love it the more I think about it!

As for Irene, given her bisexuality and her tendency not to drop grudges (and Ben's inability to mask his feelings), I think it would work if we assume the topic of homo or bisexuality never came up during tabletop sessions. What I am worried about is if her flaky nature allows for her to be part of a longer role playing game. Even if this isn't the case, it might still work if we assume the group does a lot of one-offs and short games of only a few sessions long.

As for the Burned Handler, I like the idea of there being at least facial recognition between your lads and Ben. Ties him to the school and town a bit more.

As for being suplexed... I'm not exactly sure how Ben would react to that. I'm not even sure he knows. I'm going to have some fun with that image.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:

Malloon
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
I just noticed I started three paragraphs with "As for [...]" in my last post. I must stop that.

The idea of Lili and Ben getting into a conversation through kite flying seems very logical, CrossbowPig, I like it. I'm guessing Ben would have initiated the conversation (given his newfound attitude of trying to socialize more and Lili not approaching others) and, since the conversation would undoubtedly turn to kite flying immediately, a subject which Lili cares about , she would be comfortable about the situation, right? After this initial conversation Ben would introduce her to his friends (either on the same day or the next time they were all in the park) and this would lead to her being casually acquainted with the group - this is how I imagine it, anyway. As for (there it is again... eh, I'll allow it) the music, Ben can understand people not liking pop and not bring it up (anytime he did that would be through a conscious effort to socialize, anyway, or with one of his friends who shares his love), and as long as Lili wasn't too rude (as in, still took him seriously), it wouldn't impact his friendliness.

He and Arthur wouldn't be part of the same social circles, I agree, though Ben probably wouldn't care about Arthur either way, as long as Arthur wasn't noticeably condescending to him, which, given his friendly and upbeat attitude, I don't think happened. Correct me if I'm wrong. The most I could see happening between them would happen on the island itself, with them (at best) bonding over their wanting to see their families and especially their younger sisters again, or (more probable) understanding on an emotional level what drives the other person. The falling out that springs to mind would be Arthur losing patience with Ben after the latter gets bored with and gives up on a task Arthur set him.

And Cicada, Irene being an ex-member of the group opens the possibility of the membership of the group being more fluid, which I like, since it gives more flexibility to any memory threads set around them - the only reason I haven't started one of these yet is because I wanted to nail down the members first. I'm wondering though, would Squirrel and Irene still be on good terms?

And regarding Ben being on the Island, I really, really want him to be, but I missed roll call - I posted in the thread on the 19th. Deamon said that people could be slotted in before first rolls and I sent him a pm yesterday as well. As of now Ben isn't part of the student roster - should I be worried?
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · V6 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply