Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying; [ASK FIRST] [Content Warning: Polite Conversation]
Topic Started: Aug 16 2016, 07:47 PM (3,442 Views)
Maraoone
Member Avatar
COMIN OUT OF MY CAGE AND I'VE BEEN DOIN JUST FINE
[ *  *  * ]
((Olivia Fischer continues from I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying))

Even with her bags hugging her back, and her clothes covering her body, Olivia felt cold, naked as she walked down the hallway to the cafeteria. Maybe it was only the wet fabric seeping heat from her. Or maybe it was the fact that hairs stood on the back of her neck, and she had no one with her, and she would have no one with her to tell her that everything's OK, that no one, no classmate or 'friend' was watching, eyes scanning her, waiting to raise their weapon and end her in one strike. She had no one, and she would have no one. And, that wasn't fine, but it was her reality, and she had to adapt to it.

As she'd briskly walked away from Bernadette, from her sanctuary, she had noticed a map of the asylum, and among other rooms was a potential jackpot. The cafeteria.

She highly doubted she'd find mashed potatoes and gravy in there, or something like that, but vague half-facts about honey not spoiling, thoughts of water flittered in her mind as she walked towards the cafeteria, and with that, thoughts of returning to her room.

The doors were closed shut, she noted as she walked towards the room. She found it a bit odd, even though half the doors in the wards were shut as well. When she thought of abandoned buildings, she usually thought of the doors as being wide open, rooms exposing themselves to the elements and to any wanderers, foreigners wishing to explore. It felt like a nice passage, like something to write in her notepad, some middle line to a middle stanza to a poem she'd never get to write in her notepad, her confiscated notepad that had been exchanged with a lobotomy pick-

She closed her eyes, stopped right before the doors. Enough of that. She'd done enough worrying in her room. All she'd need to do is find some supplies in this cafeteria, and she'd be set.

And with a push, the door thudded.
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

"Mara was a mistake." - Cicada, 2017
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
And the door stayed closed. The obvious thing, the smart thing to do would have been to just move on to some other place. Maybe the people that lived here before had locked it when they moved out, and there'd be no hope of ever getting in. And Olivia did, after three days on the island, have some shadow of a plan in her mind. Pub, storehouse, beach, that's how it went.

But the thing was, again, she was alone. She was alone, and even though she had something sharp, something that could kill, and the thought of it just being there made her stomach turn, her blood rush and beat through her veins, even though it could kill, it would be nothing against a gun or a knife or, heck, even just a glass shard. She was defenseless. She was vulnerable. She was alone, and if she moved away from this building, if she left her sanctuary behind, her cave, then she would just get killed, 18 years of her life would culminate in this, and she was moving back, and maybe if she just put in a little more force, the doors would open, and she wouldn't have to leave, and everything would be alright, she would get some water and be safe, it would be alright, and now she was running towards the door, because just another push would be enough, it would be enough.

And then she slammed the door with her shoulder.
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Olivia yelped. Her shoulder pulsated, throbbed with pain, but it wasn't that. There was Georgia Lee. A friend, someone she talked with, more filled out, more realized, more familiar than anyone else she had met on this island. Of the same feather. And someone else, because Georgia Lee had said 'we', 'we' as in she and someone else, two or more people weren't looking for trouble. And she was willing to shoot her. She had a gun, and she was willing to shoot her because she was a threat, because she had slammed the door twice, and she didn't know there was anyone inside, but there was, and they were scared of her, she scared them, Olivia scared them because she couldn't stop fucking alienating everyone she met. And she was willing to shoot her. Her friend.

"G-Georgia Lee?"

And now she was breathing harder, faster than when they had come across Abby, and she was sobbing, and she couldn't handle this, she couldn't, she couldn't, but she had to, she had to choose fast, Georgia said, and as snot started dribbling down her nose, she digged through her bag and got the pick. She held the metal in her hands, and she looked at it. Glared at it. Hated it. She almost raised her hand, almost threw it through that hole. But she stopped. she couldn't let go. She couldn't let it go for the same reasons she hadn't thrown it in the beach, or over the cliffs, or in the corner of her sanctuary. Because her hand would feel naked. Maybe she could hide it in her bag again, and Georgia wouldn't know any better. She could throw a loaf of bread, or, or her pink comb. That would work. But no, then, maybe, Georgia Lee or whoever was with her, they would see that she'd been hiding something from then, they would see her- no, not hers, the pick in the bag, and they wouldn't trust her, and they'd leave her, again and again and again.

And maybe Olivia should do that, like with Bernadette, she should just leave because they sure wouldn't trust her, but this was someone she knew, she knew Georgia Lee and Georgia Lee knew her, and she trusted Georgia Lee, and Georgia Lee wouldn't shoot her, but they didn't trust her right now, Olivia had scared them, threatened them, and they had a gun, and she had to choose, fast, choose, now.

She threw the pick through the hole. And she spoke.

"It's, it's me, Olivia. God, oh God, I'm sorry."

And she continued to stand there, crying, wondering if they'd let her in. Or maybe she should leave before they left her.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The door opened. It revealed to her Georgia Lee's face, and don't get her wrong, because words could not describe how happy she felt to see her. Olivia should've been smiling, laughing, her tears should've stopped, or turned into tears of joy at least. She should've almost suffocated Georgia Lee from the force of her hug, almost deafened her from her screams of excitement. Yet that's what not happened.

What happened was the door opened, and Olivia stood still. She did not smile. She gasped. And instead of hugging Georgia Lee, she waited until she was being hugged by her. And only a short hug, the type you give your mother a week after you two fight, at a reunion, when you don't really feel like it but you have to do it anyways to save face. That type of hug. And then she was introduced to their realm. To their sanctuary. And the person that completed Georgia Lee's 'we' was Fiyori, the last person who should've been there.

What happened was instead of feeling immense relief as soon as they opened the door, as soon as they accepted her into their room, instead of feeling light about that, she still felt like an anvil was on her chest, like she still had something to answer for. And she did. She had threatened them, barged into their room. So it only made sense that Georgia Lee's hug was short, that Fiyori's welcome was monotone.

Three days ago, Olivia happened upon Hannah smashing a bit in the cove. And she did not recognize her. She did not see the smiling, friendly Hannah she was familiar with in high school, but some being of rage that happened to share her name and body. She did not recognize her because they were in a new world, and everyone was a new variable, alien. And this was what Olivia must've been to Georgia Lee, some creature of fear that had disrupted their survival, that had struck fear into their hearts. Something Olivia would never have been able to do.

But the same vice versa applied. Georgia Lee was much more familiar to Olivia than she was to her, probably, but she had still barricaded herself in a room with Fiyori. A week ago, Olivia would have thought that impossible, but they were all different in this island. So, what had changed for Georgia Lee? And for Fiyori?

And what was the latter about to ask?

She made herself smile, wiped her eyes and nose with her wrist. Tried to breathe out her tension.

"Thank you."

Not enough. They let her in after what she did, and that was all she could offer?

"Thank you. So much. And, uh, sorry about the door."

She tried to chuckle, but it just came out as quick puffs of air from her nose. And then she looked at Fiyori. Found herself looking at her cheek, rather than her eyes.

"And, do I what?"
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Her heart sunk a bit as Georgia Lee stepped away from her. It meant nothing, it always did. She always read too much into things, her friends told her. Always worried too much. But, what if? Given the context of what had happened just a few minutes ago, Olivia saw fear, mistrust. She saw apprehension, maybe's bouncing around in Georgia Lee's mind, maybe's and what-if's that would add and accumulate until she and Fiyori followed Hannah, followed Irene.

And she would not allow that.

Fiyori's request came right after that, and with that, a smile. A school picture smile, obligatory.

"Wait," Olivia told Fiyori as she looked through her bag. Her heart sunk even further as she went through her bag, even though she had just used that cloth a few hours ago in her room, and a few times before in the preceding days. Part of her still worried the terrorists had stripped that part of her away as well. But sure enough, she found it. She raised the white cloth, as if a flag, but then she heard both of them speak. And then she noticed both of them looking at the window, at the rain. She couldn't think of why they would both be so happy about the weather for a second or so. Rain seldom came by in Kingman, and she preferred it that way. But then she thought of the whole reason she went out in the first place.

And she was an idiot. She had planned to walk across the whole island, to expose herself to the island when she could've just gone outside. She risked her life for nothing. Well, not nothing. She had people with her now. Friends. She wasn't alone. But she couldn't tell how this would pan out, if this would be good or not. But anyways, she'd have fresh water. She wouldn't die of thirst. Wonderful.

Then, she looked at Fiyori, at her face, and at first, she thought it was her revealing how she truly felt about this newcomer barging in, about this new liability. But she was looking at Georgia Lee. This was normal. Was. Back at Cochise, this was normal. But they were together now, holed in the same room. If they still hated each other, like back then, then why stay together? An alliance of convenience? Either one of them could've simply left another, found new allies. That was what her friends did.

She frowned at the thought. And she frowned at what was going on in front of her.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Olivia nodded, and mouthed "Sure" to all of Georgia Lee's requests, even the ones not aimed at her. She'd already started walking to the kitchen when Georgia Lee kicked something over to her.

She stared at Georgia Lee. Did she just? Really?

Yes, yes, she did.

The pick. The weapon. Georgia Lee had returned the weapon to her.

She trusted her with it.

While Olivia only allowed herself a small smile, and a quick 'Thank you', what Olivia really wanted to do was hug Olivia, squeeze the air out of Georgia Lee, thank her endlessly. She was trusted. Even after what she did, Georgia Lee allowed her a little defense, a little protection. And she'd repay her for that.

That weight she'd been feeling since she entered the room, since the glass and the wood, since Abby even, it finally went away. Everything was alright again.

And then it was not.

And then Olivia's heart stopped. And then those shouts she'd heard a day back, in her sanctuary, rooms away, from Jasmine and Sandy, those noises thay preceded the wood and the glass, they all came back to her. Except they weren't shouts. They were words, poisonous, dripping with rage. And Olivia wouldn't be able to block them out, no matyer how much she covered her ears, no matter how much she told them to shut up. They were so close to one another.

And then there were those choice words. 'What you've done.' Some sin that Georgia Lee apparently committed, unknown to Olivia right now. Some answer to all the questions she'd been asking before. But she didn't want answers right now, didn't need them. All she wanted, all she needed was for Fiyori to stop. She didn't need this, didn't need any of this. She could've tried to tell her to calm down, to make up or whatever, but no, wait, she couldn't. This was Fiyori speaking. And, as nice as it was, being trusted by Georgia Lee, she wanted that from Fiyori as well. She didn't want an enemy, couldn't choose sides, couldn't even figure out what had happened. She was trapped.

So, Olivia froze, midway between the kitchen and the girls, and turned around, looked at Fiyori first, then Georgia Lee. Waited. Braced herself.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
And there was that feeling again, when you're watching a movie you've watched before and you're in the moments before the car crash, before the downfall. And here Olivia was, thinking that maybe she should've just left that door closed, that maybe she should've gone to the pub or storage facilities for some water. Or, or, maybe when Georgia Lee had shouted at her, told her to hand over her weapon, she should've just left, ran away, because that's what she did with Bernadette, and Bernadette didn't even say anything, just sat there and looked at her, didn't threaten to shoot her. Maybe if she'd done just one of those things, just one, she wouldn't be caught in the middle of this mess. And, there it was again, that adrenaline, that wave of fear running through her, over her again, the waves that had crashed over her back when she first woke up, at the cove, and when they'd seen Abby, and when she'd heard the glass and the wood crashing, here it was, and she was breathing fast, and she needed to stop-

And then she felt herself being pushed.

She let out a little yelp. Took a few steps away from that direction. She looked to her right. Looked with wide eyes. And it was just Fiyori, just a bump. And she needed to stop looking so scared, needed to stay on her good side. On both their good sides, Fiyori's and Georgia Lee's.

She nodded. "I- it's f- it's fine, it's fine." Quick smile. Eyes still wide. Deers in headlights.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
And among the other gifts this island would leave in her head, these memories that would never remove itself, along with Abby and the glass and the wood and the blinks and breaths waiting for Irene and Hannah who never came back, along with those would be Fiyori's laugh. She thought it to be the beginning of the crash proper, the prelude to the last, to this climax to which she never saw the build-up to.

It was just an anticlimax, though.

Olivia stared as Fiyori turned her back and left the door. And she exhaled. Her shoulders relaxed, and then she looked at Georgia Lee and was about to ask 'Should I?' as in 'Should I still get the pots?' But of course, the answer was yes, she should, because Fiyori leaving didn't mean that they no longer needed or were able to get water. Her departure meant that some unknown variable, some person she wasn't even close with, was out of the equation, that all she had to think about, consider her position with, was Georgia Lee. Relieving, really. And Georgia Lee was a friend. Someone who trusted her enough to let her have her weapon. She just needed to maintain that trust.

So, she looked at her, and asked, "Are you OK?"
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
They weren't.

It was something that Olivia had attempted to do these past days, reduce them to words. After all, these announcements, they were nothing but sound waves emanating from speakers, half-comprehensible mutters from some man in his ivory tower. But names were metonymies, parts that represented a whole. The only parts of their classmates they'd have left, really. To reduce them to words would be to reduce them to nothing at all.

To kill them again.

So, she listened. Forced herself to pay attention to those killers, to those killed. The heat left her body when she heard Kaitlyn's name on the third announcements. The guy said she'd killed some girl named Mia. And then her mind niggled, asked those what-ifs, what if she'd gone along with her and Alan's plans, what if she'd stayed with them? Would it be her name on the announce-

No. Don't even think.

So, instead, she said a quick prayer of thanks, thanks that she'd trusted her gut back at the beach.

Aside from that, not much of note. All the other names stung, yes, they always did, but, well, it's not that they didn't mattered. It's just that the names, the thoughts of them dead didn't gnaw at her as much as the first and second announcements had. Maybe cause it was routine, a grim routine.

And then another 24 hours passed, hours passed with words but not meanings. With hauling pots out into the rain, getting the water they needed. With carving x's and o's into squares with scissors and lobotomy picks, playing tic tac toe until they couldn't see the wood. And it was nice, this quietness. Maybe it was for the best that Fiyori left. She was getting on fine with Georgia Lee, talking and playing and just doing nothing. She'd assumed that her time on the island would be more eventful. And it would be, she realized, but she didn't want to think about how.

And then the next announcements came, and she thought she could be a big girl, thought she could try not crying for once. But the names stung more. Stung as if the names that either Georgia Lee or Fiyori carved into the wood were carved into her skin. She'd played cards with Jennifer. Talked books with Leslie. Not close friends, but not blank variables, no. Funny that- no, not funny at all, odd that they were both killed by Nancy. And she held onto the wood, told herself she could hold herself together.

And then they mentioned Bernadette, and she started breathing louder. She had a disease, something to do with the uterus, she was vulnerable, she'd just left her alone, what if she stayed with her- well then she wouldn't be safe with Georgia Lee- but still what if she'd stayed with her, talked instead of running away like a coward, would she be-

"Irene Djezari was too slow on the draw and paid for it when Alvaro Vacanti put a bullet in her."

Oh.

That name had stung even before. It always did. So, what did it matter if it stung so much now, if it cut into her? This was fine. She could, she could get through this. She hated Irene, hated her and Hannah for leaving her with Abby. Yes, she loathed her. Maybe, like, maybe that's what she got for being such a horrible friend.

Friend.

One of her first friends, someone she first met in grade 4, who had the decency to talk to some weird freak who only had brains going for her, some weird freak that ate in cafeteria corners, had the decency to talk and listen, didn't make fun of her when she talked about anime or poems or other nerdy stuff no one else cared about, and then a few days ago she left all that behind because of, what, because of fear? because Olivia didn't matter anymore? left all that behind, and, this was her friend who did this, her friend who'd come into her life and opened her up, and now Olivia was being opened up, torn apart, because she was dead and she never got to ask why and why, why,

"Why?"

She sank, hid her face in the table as she sobbed why's to herself again and again.
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Olivia cried for a few more seconds because she heard Georgia Lee speak, she did, but Irene was dead and nothing else mattered and the announcements had told her exactly how she died, but they couldn't give her a good enough reason, an answer to her why's, and so she cried, and then she realized those vocalizations were words directed at her.

"I, I don't- I'm sorry, what-" did she say? And then she repeated to herself, "do with your life?"

She then looked at Georgia Lee, looked with bloodshot eyes and tears and mucus flowing down her face, and asked herself, "Wh-what do I, what do I want with my life? What do I want to do?" And, she giggled to herself a bit because a million thoughts, a million ideas flashed at light speed before her, and what did she want? What did Olivia want? She, she wanted to live, that was a starter, but that was obvious, added nothing to the conversation, and what else? What else?

Well, could Georgia Lee give her her watch so that the seconds and minutes and hours wouldn't escape her, abandon her anymore? Or maybe a few cards so they could do something other than carving x's and o's and lines and dashes and crossing them out next to crossed out names, erased metonymies, erased people, killed people, killed friends, and, yeah, while Georgia Lee was at it, maybe a time machine to before Irene and Hannah left, so that maybe she could chase after them, because maybe Irene wouldn't be dead or something, or maybe to before they left, so she could say 'I love you' to her mom, to her dad, yeah, that would be nice, that was what she wanted, she wanted to feel happy, to stop these waves of panic, of hyperventilation from drowning her, so she laughed, she laughed even more, and she probably looked crazy, Georgia Lee was probably scared of her now, wouldn't want to touch her with a ten-foot pole, but that didn't matter right now, because Olivia wanted to be happy, and happy people laughed, so maybe if she laughed enough she could have her happiness back and she could feel normal again and everything could be normal and she could pretend that there were no cameras watching them live and breathe and then not breathe and not live and she could have it all back Cochise and Kingman and Leslie and Jennifer and Hannah and Irene and mom and dad and her cards and her watch, those missing pieces of her and maybe she could be herself maybe she could have it all back because that was what she wanted she wanted everything back she wanted it all back

And it was all so funny because all these things that Olivia wanted, Georgia Lee could never get.

And so she stopped laughing, and then she looked at the ground. Shame. Just tears dripping. She bit her lip. Stood there, arms to her side.

She mumbled, almost to herself. "I... I don't know. I honestly don't know."

"Do you have some- have some cards? Or a working watch, or anything? That would be nice."
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
And that wasn't so much a question as an order, really, to get outside. And she had been outside a few times, yes, mostly when they were collecting rain. She had savored the rain, reveled in the drops as they poured down her skin, washed off days of accumulated dirt and grime. But in the back of her mind had been that worry, that fear about someone invading their sanctuary. That fear that served as a background here in this island, even through the boredom of the past couple of days. And so she only stayed outside long enough for the rain to soak her a bit, and then ran back inside.

And Olivia wanted that, wanted to reclaim some part of herself, wanted to find some cards or watches, but at what cost? Why would she risk her life for a pack of cards?

Then again, why not?

Abby flashed in her mind again. Curled up, lying in red. But, no, instead of that, she was lying in dust.

Something surged in her. The same thing that pushed her from the first room, after her water had spilled. Some shadow of bravado.

So, after a few seconds of hesitation, she slowly nodded. "Sure."
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
But Olivia never slept.

She did dream, however.

While she kept watch, walked countless numbers of circles around the room, she dreamed of all the things she wanted, of a watch in her wrist and a deck of cards in her hand, of her family, of Cochise, of Irene and Hannah. She thought of them, dreamed of them being with her, and then, once the thought came into her head that she might never get some of those things back again, that she might never get some of the things she wanted, she tried to forget about them. But no, to forget would be to murder. No, she tried to not think about them. If she couldn't go to sleep, then maybe she could put some of those dreams to sleep instead. Yes, sleep, that was the word.

But then, something occurred to her, because in the act of trying to not think about Irene, Irene in particular, she'd thought about her. She'd thought about their travel to the asylum, and she remembered something, something that had escaped her mind from Irene's death up until now. They were walking, and Olivia had forgotten her sweater. And it was cold, and freezing, and without her watch and now her sweater, she felt naked, and so, and so

She rushed across the room on tip-toes, trying not to wake Georgia Lee up. She rushed towards her bag, and almost immediately, she felt it, she felt the sweater that Irene had loaned her. It was hers. It was a piece of Irene. And aside from Irene's rotting corpse lying who-knew-where, this was all that would be left of her, and now Olivia had a piece of Irene that wasn't her name, that was concrete, that she could feel and hug and now she was hugging it and pretending that Irene was hugging her because this could be felt, it had sleeves that could be felt and she could be put these sleeves, these lanky, massless arms around her and pretend it was Irene, but in the end, it was just pretend, and Irene would still never be back, and so, Olivia sunk into the table and cried again, cried for the nth time, but at least this time, Georgia Lee wasn't awake to see her, judge her, fear her, only the cameras and everyone watching her, and now it wasn't that she didn't mind the cameras, it's just that they didn't feel as important to her as Irene's sweater.

((Olivia Fischer continues in Until Then, You Are Free))
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Cafeteria · Next Topic »
Add Reply