Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Little Pig; Start of G055
Topic Started: Aug 14 2016, 10:55 PM (1,145 Views)
Aura
Member Avatar
Has seen that which cannot be unseen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Bart Cappotelli continued from Season Cut Short))

Bart's walk through the asylum was not a pleasant one. He had never been a fan of horror movies, so taking a walk in a decrepit old mental hospital that looked like the set of some summer slasher movie did nothing to put him at ease. His stress level was still quite high, and his face still had noticeable salt trails from his crying jag back at the cafeteria. From his expression alone, it was easy to see that he was an emotional mess.

He walked through the lonely halls with nothing to keep him company but the sounds of his own footsteps and the occasional reminder of how the building has felt the combined forces of nature and the passage of time. Strangely, the random patches of indoor vegetation and eroded scenery didn't bother him as much as he would have thought. Despite how unnerved he was by his current location, it was more the situation that was making him miserable.

Bart's aimless wandering eventually brought him to a new area of the asylum. As he continued to look around, his attention was drawn to a couple of paintings lying on the ground in a nearby doorway. He approached the paintings cautiously to get a better look at them. They looked a bit messy, but not too bad.

He was crouching to pick one up when he heard a sound come from inside the room, like something had hit a wall. He froze and looked through the doorway to see a tall girl standing inside. He didn't know what to do, but he was too nervous to make a move.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Characters

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bart felt a shock go through his body when the girl in the room spoke. Her voice sounded angry and irritated, not friendly at all. He dropped the painting he was holding, raised his hands, and slowly stood back up. He could feel his legs shaking as he did so. He really didn't want to come off as intimidating or menacing. Considering how mad the girl seemed, that could only end very badly for him.

"I-it's Bart! Bart Cappotelli!" He nervously stammered out. "I was just looking at the pictures on the ground! I didn't know anyone was here!"

He started to sweat a little. He wasn't ready for a fight, and he was very afraid that one may be about to occur. He remained still while he waited for the girl to respond, less out of patience and more because he was very afraid about what was going to happen next.

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh good, it was someone Bart recognized. Jennifer, from the writing club. He remembered running into her at the art museum a while ago as well, but the writing club connection was probably what she would remember more. "Y-yeah! It's me!" He squeaked out.

When Jennifer came up to the doorway, Bart became very nervous. She had sounded so irritated just moments ago, and now she was right in front of him, looking right at him. He didn't know how to respond. If she had a gun, then she could jut shoot him right there and be done with it. Without thinking beforehand, he suddenly began to recount his experiences in the asylum thus far.

"I, uh..." He began unsteadily. "I woke up in a cafeteria, and I... I was really freaked out, and I didn't know what to do..." He was breathing very heavily, hoping that he wasn't making himself look suspicious. "I st- I started walking through the halls... there, uh... there wasn't really a lot to see..." He was having a bit of trouble putting sentences together. "And I, uh... I saw the paintings on the floor, and I wanted to- wanted to get a better look at them."

He closed his eyes and shook his head. "Then I heard a noise come from in here and I got freaked out, so I froze up, and now... now..." He couldn't come up with a way to finish that sentence. He just sniffed and winced as he stood in front of Jennifer, hoping that she wouldn't respond with violence.

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Oh... oh good." Bart managed to speak once his terror had partially subsided. He stepped into the room and looked around in hopes of finding a place to sit and calm down. However, a quick scan of the room revealed that most of the things that had once been meant for sitting upon had been either destroyed or left in a state that Bart honestly did not trust to hold for more than a few moments without breaking. Upon this discovery, he stepped to the nearest wall and leaned against it.

The two of them wren't the only ones in the room. Kiziah had made her presence known to the room, which admittedly made Bart feel a little bit better. She had always been nice as far as he could remember, and she didn't sound too aggressive when she had spoken up a moment ago. Considering how unwelcoming the rest of his experience had been thus far, even the slightest sense of familiarity was a comfort for him.

Bart sighed and slid slowly down the wall as he assumed a seated position on the floor. He was still trying to process everything that was going on. He had to accept the fact that he would probably be dead in a week, probably far less than that. It was a hard idea for anyone to grasp, let alone a terrified teenager. It was all just a big, anxiety-inducing source of despair lodged in his mind.

"I just..." Bart said with his throat catching as though he were about to cry again. "I just can't believe this is happening."

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bart listened to Jennifer from his position, still mired in his own misery. She brought up what he was pretty sure they had all thought at least once since waking up: the government should be aware of what's going on. They should have at least some idea of the terrorists' plans or M.O. It's already happened multiple times in the past, so why was it still going on?

"I thought they were supposed to have it under control." Bart included himself in the conversation once Jennifer seemed to reach a pause. "I mean, it's been years, so I thought that they'd figured it out. You know, how they could stop the terrorists." He sighed again, noting that he seemed to be doing that a lot as of late. "But... then it happened again. I don't know why."

Bart moved his leg from side to side, letting the heel of his shoe drag along the ground. "I don't know why it hasn't stopped. I don't even know why they're doing this in the first place." Little by little, his voice was getting louder as he went on. "I don't understand anything. I can't do anything. All I can do is just sit here and wait!" He was visibly surprised by how loud he became at the end of his short rant, and quickly hung his head once again. His voice dropped to a barely audible mumble as he had one more thing to add.

"I should've just stayed home..."
Edited by Aura, Sep 10 2016, 04:04 AM.

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kiziah bringing up the Boko Haram attacks did nothing to make Bart feel better. In fact, it did the opposite. All it did was remind him about how this wasn't just some isolated incident, and SOTF weren't the only ones doing this kind of thing. That made Bart feel far worse. Not for himself, but for the state of the world in general.

Bart picked himself up off the ground. He didn't want to be in this room anymore. All of the pictures scattered on the ground in a destroyed setting... it hurt him to see work ruined like that. Even if they were just casual paintings made over the course of an afternoon, they were still art. It reminded him of his sketches back at home. He wouldn't want to see those scattered all over the floor, and he was starting to envision that the longer he stayed around.

He was going to announce his intentions to the girls, but was beat to the punch by a bell ringing somewhere in the distance. His head jerked around for a few moments as he tried to figure out where it came from, eventually staring in the direction of the noise. He hadn't checked his map before, so he didn't know whether there was a church or a town hall or whatever other sort of building would have a bell on it nearby. There had to be, unless the terrorists were playing a joke on them by pumping the sound through a loudspeaker or something. That would have been pointless, but Bart could imagine the terrorists trying to mess with them like that.

"I think they're trying to call people over." He said, still looking where he had heard the chime. "I dunno if they're trying to find some friends, or... you know..." His voice faltered as he thought about the other reason why someone in this situation would try to draw people closer to them. He took a short step back as the mental image firmly implanted itself in his brain.

"I don't think we should follow it."

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They had a split decision on their hands. Bart and Jennifer wanted to stay away from the bells, while Kizi wanted to investigate. Bart was absolutely not planning on changing his stance on the issue anytime soon. There was no way of knowing who rang the bell, much less what their plans were. True, there really wasn't any choice they could make that could really be deemed safe, but he would rather not take the risk of walking into what could very well be a trap as far as he knew.

Jennifer had brought up the issue of whether they should stick around the art room or go elsewhere. Just like the previous scenario, Bart had already made up his mind. The scattered, ruined paintings that littered the room were making him immensely uncomfortable, and he wanted to leave, preferably very soon.

"I vote to leave." He called, trying to make sure his voice was heard. "I don't wanna stick around here."

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bart opened his bag and searched for his map. If they were going to travel, then they needed a clear destination in mind, or at the very least a general area they wanted to aim for. He pulled it out and finished unfolding it before holding it up and scanning their options. He slowly steadied his breathing. If he wanted to be helpful, or more importantly, survive, then he needed to calm himself down and act rationally.

He studied the map, trying to find a good path for them to take. He glanced over a few areas multiple times before setting his sights on one specific part of the island. He moved the map about an inch closer to his face and his eyes opened a bit more. He had an idea. It might even be a good one.

"So if we want to avoid people heading for the bell tower..." He narrated verbally, broadcasting his thoughts to Kizi and Jennifer in the process. "We'll want to leave quickly, since the asylum is very close to it." he pointed to the area east of the asylum. "There's a whole lot of areas across the bridge that look like they would attract people, so we can probably expect a lot of foot traffic coming from that direction."

Bart raised his head and turned his map around so the girls could see it. "But there aren't a lot of high-traffic areas to the south, see?" He directed his finger to the area of the map that he was referring to. "If we want to stay away from people, then the best way to do that is by going where there probably won't be many people to run into, right?"

He moved his map so both of the girls could see it. He hoped that he had managed to make a good point somewhere along his train of logic. However, in his zeal to explain his idea, he hadn't noticed Jennifer's attention falling to Kizi's bag. Bart's eyebrows drooped as he surveyed the increasingly tense scene.

"Hey, is everything all right?"

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, they were discussing their weapons. That seemed pretty reasonable. Kizi had a gun, which was... admittedly intimidating, but it provided some sort of comfort to know that one of them had some capability to defend the others if a problem arose. Jennifer's chain was a bit out of the ordinary, but Bart figured that it could have some practical use. But even if the chain couldn't be used to fight, both of the girls had still had far better luck than he did.

"Um, I don't think that I'm gonna be so useful in that regard." He said, slightly downtrodden. "All I got was a book. It's not that thick, and it's paperback. It doesn't even look like it would be a good read, to be honest..."

Wait, he was getting off topic. They needed to figure out where they needed to go. Jennifer had even said so. Bart checked out his map once more to get a better look at their options. The relative lack of locations to the south made this task much quicker than his previous scanning o the whole map, so he took little time before reporting his findings.

"There's a crematorium not too far from here." He pointed out both figuratively and literally. "It's off to the east while the bell tower is to the west, so there probably won't see to many people going there." He moved his hand further down the map. "There's also a supply depot, but it's at the far southern part of the island, and there's not a whole lot between here and there. Probably not too many people, but it'll be a real long walk."

He folded his map and looked up. "So which way do you want to go?"

Characters

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bart gave a thumbs-up to the girls while he returned his map to his pack. "All right, so, um... I guess we've got a plan now. That's good, right?" With a quick zip, his map was safe and sound once again.

Jennifer and Kizi moved onto the topic of what they should do with Kizi's gun. Pretty reasonable, since that was going to be their main source of protection until further notice. Bart didn't really feel like be belonged in this particular part of the conversation. Outside of the realm of video games, he had absolutely no knowledge of guns, and he certainly didn't know how to handle them. He doubted that Jennifer or Kizi had much more experience with them either, but he felt that they would probably be able to pick it up quicker than he would. Outside of art and writing, he had never really had many other skills.

"Okay, so, um..." Bart followed Jennifer's previous statement. "I think I'm gonna check outside to see if, y'know, everything's clear? So once you know what you're doing with the gun we can, uh... head out, right?" He jabbed a thumb in the direction of the doorway before walking out slowly, hoping that the girls wouldn't abandon him once he was out of sight.

He had a direct line of sight towards the asylum door. He knew that attempting stealth would be more than likely pointless thanks to his condition, but that didn't stop him from softly stepping towards it, sticking close to the wall like a character in some old spy movie. He didn't see anyone nearby, and he couldn't hear anything that suggested it either. From a brief glance, everything looked good. He took a few steps back towards the door and cupped a hand around his mouth, trying to catch the girls' attention.

"A-all clear, I think..."

He looked back at the asylum door. He hadn't set foot outside of the building since waking up, and now he was about to face the world outside.

He hoped that everything would somehow turn out okay.

((Bart Cappotelli continued elsewhere...))

Characters

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Art Therapy · Next Topic »
Add Reply