Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hideaway; Open!
Topic Started: Aug 14 2016, 12:07 PM (1,319 Views)
kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Audrey was pretty well-known around the household as a vibrant dreamer. So, when terrorists kidnapped her entire class and killed her teachers, she figured she must have been in an extremely detailed nightmare. When she was lulled back to sleep by the gas, Audrey managed to maintain that illusion - at least until she woke up again. With a loud, loud ringing in her ears. And the sounds of frantic teenagers.

Her eyes popped open about as quickly as they could. She still felt groggy and there was a pain in the back of her head that she assumed must have been from the toxins used to knock her out. She groaned lightly, trying to assess her situation. Which was difficult (or easy, depending on your definition) considering the two inhabitants present with her. Her head whipped around, noting that her body was placed against a wall in the corner, invisible to anyone who wasn't paying too much attention. Either the terrorists were really lazy and just dropped her wherever, or she'd tossed and turned in her sleep - which she would have wont to do. At the moment, though, Audrey knew there were two choices she could make here: stay quiet and let the altercation sort itself, or step in and try to create some sort order. From what she'd observed thus far, it didn't seem like these two boys were actually capable of harming each other - what with the squeaking and light cursing being thrown around.

Audrey muttered some arcane expletive under her breath. She was cursed with pretenses of false heroics.

G025_AUDREY_REYES - START

Her eyes were drawn to the duffel bag next to her which, upon closer examination, beheld her name and "number." Blegh. Audrey decided she didn't like this Orwellian death game one bit. Shifting into a sitting position, she rifled through it. Supplies and a first aid kit and... nunchucks? Great. "Compartmentalize," Audrey whispered to herself. "Compartmentalize, compartmentalize, compartmentalize..." Audrey stood up, nunchucks in hand. Goddammit, what was she doing? She was supposed to see Mad Max in a few days, not stuck here of all places.

"Hey!" She waved the nunchucks in front of her, pretending like she had any idea how to use them. "I swear to God, you two better stop making noise or people who actually want to hurt other people are going to be here very fast!" She stepped forward. "Come on, you two. Calm the hell down! Is that you, Sandy? You're the kid from the art club, right? Seriously, call a truce or something! Peace and love, that's what we artists do, right?"

Of course, Audrey had no idea if she would have any effect on them - or whether or not she would get shot or grenaded at any moment - but she was compartmentalizing, compartmentalizing, compartmentalizing. She needed to exert that can-do attitude that had been ever so useful at the theater. Or she would die - at which point she hoped she'd made enough peace with God that he'd be totally chill with her going to heaven.
Virtua-SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - The Broken Bird - "Until we find out, you're going to need me."
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks
Virtua-SOTF - M16: Patrick Reynolds - The Ingenuine - "Um, I think we're lost."
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling
SOTF V5 - Bradley Edwards - The Spare - "Call me a cynic..."
Pregame Threads: Debates and Discourse
Meanwhile Threads: Above it All
SOTF V6 - Audrey Reyes - The Dedicated - "Get the camera!"
Pregame Threads: There's No Time Here in Space
Threads: Hideaway
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Audrey was right - these two were total idiots and completely incapable of doing harm to anybody even if they tried. From what she could tell, one was a guy whose total life experience could be summed up with a canvas and a brush, and the other guy... well, from the clanking and cowering noises coming from other there, he probably didn't have that good of a shot of mounting an offensive. She stepped forward, bumping into something with her foot and causing a bit of a noise and almost tripping her. She cursed at herself silently, suddenly getting a bit sweaty on the back of her neck.

Sandy was screaming something about why they couldn't just leave him alone, which Audrey would have been all for except that Danny seemed to have thrown some stuff at his head. Which Danny then followed up by pointing out Sandy's hypocrisy from earlier. All in all, the paranoia levels were through the roof in this particular room. Audrey knew that she'd have to be the one to defuse the situation, a process which she was glad she'd already managed to start. Compartmentalize.

Audrey approached Danny. "Hey, man..." she said slowly, holding up the nunchucks. "I have no godly idea how to use these things." She waved them in front of her for effect; they were a lot heavier than they looked when Michaelangelo was using them; then again, she wasn't a pizza-eating mutant turtle so maybe he had the edge over her in this department. "But I'm guessing that none of us got anything particularly useful, especially for this situation or someone would have died by now."

"Guys, let's not pretend that any of us is a credible threat right now, alright?" Audrey got close enough to Danny to hold out a hand to shake. She turned to where Sandy's voice was coming from. "Seriously, dude, it's all cool." Actually, it wasn't if Audrey's sweat levels were any indication of the room's heat. "But we're not gonna hurt you! Promise! We can even, like, I dunno form an alliance or something."

She cleared her throat. "I'm Audrey, by the way. Audrey Reyes. I do theater stuff behind the scenes. You've probably seen me around the school; I'm the one that's always lugging around that big camera. Had a big project to go make a movie and all that?" She was babbling. Stop it, Audrey. Stop it. "Anyway, uh, let's just all chill and, you know, plan how to not die for a few more days. You're a nice guy, right, Sandy? At least, I think you are from what I've seen in art club. So, truce?" Babble, babble, babble. Audrey had half the mind to just knock Danny out with the nunchucks and bolt from this place as fast as possible, but something told her that that would just end in tragedy.
Virtua-SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - The Broken Bird - "Until we find out, you're going to need me."
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Audrey cringed. She started to get that sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach that she always got whenever she tripped and fell on her metaphorical head; her head in this analogy being her, at the moment, seemingly inept social skills. Sandy did not want to be bothered which, in this life-or-death situation, seemed like a totally reasonable response actually. Her palms started to get sweaty and she could feel the insecurity just welling up inside of her. She was thankful that Danny was being a lot more amicable about the whole thing.

"Better-looking twin, eh? I can see that." Audrey tried to offer her best smile to try and defuse the whole thing. Although, she thought after a moment, flirting might not be the best way to go about it. He was pretty good looking; not totally handsome, but she'd go for it if she were more confident.

After an awkward second, Audrey looked at Sandy as he tried to depart. She wanted allies in this whole affair, she really did. But not someone as volatile as Sandy. "Yeah, okay," she said. "Good luck out there and everything." She mumbled that last one, suddenly not feeling all too hot about her chances out here.

There was hacking fit outside. "Oh, great," she muttered. "What now?" Sandy seemed to have the same idea. Danny went to go investigate immediately, something that Audrey didn't think was the rightest thing to do in that moment. She reached out to try and stop Danny from opening up the door but, well, by the time her hand had latched onto his arm, he'd already swung open the door. Audrey cringed yet again, suddenly holding onto the nunchuks a bit more tightly. Apparently, the kid outside was an eponymous Vacanti from that restaurant Vacanti's. Which was obvious enough given that it was written on his shirt.

"Oh, hey," Audrey spurted out. "I know you - right? Haven't I seen you at the chess club? You're, uh-" Audrey wracked her brain. She hated it when she forgot things. Compartmentalize. Alvaro! "Alvaro!" She snapped her fingers in triumph. "Yeah, uh, you're the, the-" Uh. "-soccer guy with the, and the - restaurant. Vacanti's. I saw you there a couple times. I think." She quieted down, taking a few steps back. Alvaro was always a nice guy from what she could remember.

"Yeah, so... need any cough drops or something? I think I still have some in my jacket somewhere..." She dug through her pockets and pulled out a little pillbox full of cough drops. Audrey always kept a couple in case her asthma started acting up. "I always keep a couple in case my asthma starts acting up," she explained.

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Sandy was gone - that was about as predictable as Audrey could expect. Honestly, she didn't feel like making him anything like a partner in her endeavors; she knew enough times from group projects that one bad egg can spoil the rest. Audrey wondered whether her rather immature comparison to inane high school classes was a coping mechanism brought upon by her subconscious in a meager attempt to compartmentalize further, in order to prevent her from becoming a stress zombie that was prone to anxiety attacks. Whatever.

Audrey looked to Alvaro, suddenly now noticing the wounds on his face. Her eyes shot wide, her mind now far away from Sandy What's-His-Name. "Oh my God!" she exclaimed, rushing to his side. Many, many long memories of her mother nursing her wounds when she was a little girl rushed to her mind as she quickly brought out her bag. She fished around for the medical kit. "You need to get some help, stat." She propped him up against the wall, quietly urging him to keep his body straight.

"Alright, well..." She remembered that she had to ice the area of the wounds, but she doubted there was any ice. However, there were alcohol pads and bruises hardly ever came without scrapes. That would almost certainly cause more pain than the bruises themselves. Audrey pulled out a bottle of, what was that, ibuprofen? "You should take these," she said, holding out to him another pair of pills - this time painkillers. "Here..." She took a bit of the pads - not too much - and started treating where he had been hit. "How the hell did you get so badly injured, anyway? Are people already... you know, killing each other?" She lifted his chin, holding onto it with her small fingers so she could more clearly see and access his wounds.

"Hey, Danny?" She turned to the larger boy. "Do you know what could've caused wounds like these? Are they bad? Fatal?"

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
"Min-Jae?" Audrey blurted out. "The goth kid?" Jesus, if there was a less-intimidating kid at Cochise High School, Audrey didn't know who it was. That fashion-conscious nerd daring to lash out as he did, hitting a short, defenseless kid like Alvaro - cute kid, too - made Audrey's insides boil with rage. She felt her stomach churn, the same kind of churn that she felt when she saw any sort of injustice done in the name of irrationality. There shouldn't be people out to hurt other this early in the game, there just shouldn't be. And Min-Jae of all people? What a crock. Audrey hoped that whoever was managing Survival of the Fittest was getting a nice big laugh out of this because she was going to find their control room, take out her nunchucks, and just start going to town on those motherfuckers.

But that was neither here nor there and Audrey's hate-boner would need to be sated at some other time.

She sighed, placing a hand on Alvaro's shoulder. "It's alright. He's not going to hurt you anymore." Audrey spoke with sincerity, though there was just a hint of indignant disappointment in her voice. She place a hand under his chin and lifted his face so they were looking straight at each other. "Hey, chin up. You look better that way. Okay?" She gave him a bright smile.

Audrey looked at Danny. He was asking questions, logical ones like whether or not the psychopathic goth was on their trail. Shit, he was right. Audrey whispered to Alvaro, "Can you move? If you can, we should get out of here."

She got up, walking over to Danny. "Listen," she said. "We don't know each other that well, but you seem a nice guy. You wanna, you know, get into a truce or whatever? You look like you can take care of yourself." Yeah, speak for yourself, Audrey. This relationship might not be entirely symbiotic. She glanced at Alvaro, before turning back to Danny. "Seriously, this game is all sorts of fucked-up. We want to be able to take care of our own and, like, not become murderers. Right?" She lightly punched his shoulder. "Besides, we could listen to some kickass music in that CD player of yours, right? Who else has that?"

kervin555
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
What was up with this guy? A fucking wussy-wishy pussyfooting coward? Danny, despite being as big of a man as he was, was somehow neutral about joining up Audrey's band. That got her a bit pissed off, just a bit. "Seriously?" she spat out. She clenched her fists, stamping her foot on the ground. "You want to be alone by yourself? You're not even going to give me a straight answer?" Audrey absolutely hated people like Danny; they reminded her too much of her false, inferior self from years ago. She'd gotten over that hump and, if she could do it, other people should be able to. Audrey held no patience, no regard for people too embroiled in their emotions to do something about their situation.

Baller muscles. She couldn't roll her eyes any faster.

What a waste.

She sighed, placing a hand on her quickly-sweating forehead. She took a second to calm down. "Look, I'm sorry," she said. "Maybe this game is already stressing me out or whatever but I'm still going to try and find a way to live through this. If you don't want to help people - and don't think I didn't notice that you didn't go to help Alvaro when I did - then fine. That's fine. I understand." She looked up at him; she hated tall people, too. "I'm going to go. You do... whatever it is that you do."

Audrey walked away in a huff, towards Alvaro. At least he was being logical, at least he was being sweet. She saw it in his eyes and his body language when she was comforting him. And he's damn cute! She hadn't noticed that too much before, but now that he was standing tall - and slightly taller than her, too; the perfect height - she noticed it more than ever. She lightly placed a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, Alvie," she said, sweetly, before placing her hands on his cheeks - like a big sister (or maybe more like someone who was quickly developing a crush). "Why don't we get out of here before more people get here? It'll just be you and me." Audrey urged him along. She spared a final glance at Danny, before moving away from this place.

Compartmentalize.

You don't need to be so pissed off right now.

(Audrey Reyes continued elsewhere...)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Storage Closet · Next Topic »
Add Reply