Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
You Could Have A Dream About Losing Your Friends; G022 start
Topic Started: Aug 14 2016, 01:17 AM (1,847 Views)
Randomness
Member Avatar
Is in some state of existence
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Amanda Tan continued from Guns, Gerns, and Rust))

Was she being rash? Yes.

Was she being dumb? Yes.

Was she cold and wet and not trying to think to hard about what she was doing? Also yes.

The noise had startled her, sounding like a tower of the junk inside the laboratory had toppled behind her. Was that her doing? Or was there someone else in there, someone she had missed.
Either could have been the case, and she wanted to be sure.

But what was she supposed to do? Just barge back into the room?

"Hi! I'm here with a rifle and I'm totally friendly!" Yeah, that was going to work so well. But she was probably going to go back in anyway.

The space outside the laboratory had been scarcely better than the inside. It was air still felt like it had been left there for a million years to fester and the piles of objects within the corridor looked precarious but it had offered her one thing she needed, light.

She had searched through her bag earlier, looking for what looked the most useful. Torch. Food. First aid. Weapon Manual.

The booklets had been useful enough, easy enough to understand and brief enough for her to spend only a couple minutes on each of them. They had obviously wanted them to know how to use the guns. Rifles turned out to be more complex than she had expected, heavier as well, but with the manual it didn't take too long to get a rudimentary understanding of what she was supposed to do with a gun. Rudimentary probably wasn't going to help her if whoever inside was ready to be violent though.

But there was nothing to do but enter now, and she opened the door quietly, holding on to the rifle tightly in case something went wrong.

"Hello? Who's in there?" she asked quietly.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

It's the Grand Map of Doom! v6
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Had she missed someone in the dark of the room earlier? The dim light filtering in through the door wasn’t quite enough to eliminate the possibility. A large pile of objects had collapsed, a stack of chairs and papers now spilt across the floor, making the room more of a mess than it had been before.

She could hear it now. Someone was sobbing. Amanda felt like a horror movie heroine right now, stupidly blundering her way back into the creepy room just to see what the heck was making that noise.

She gripped on to the rifle tightly. The safety was still on, and her hand was nowhere near the trigger, but it made her feel just a bit safer.

Then there was another voice from somewhere in the darkness, stuttering and clearly afraid. Amanda could only feel relieved hearing the voice. Emma was here, and Emma wasn’t dangerous. She’d worked together with Emma before countless times on school committees. Emma was a person that Amanda could trust.

“Emma? It’s me, Amanda!”

Amanda made her way further into the room, finding Emma kneeling on the grounds, hands up in the air. Was she scared of her? No, she was scared of what she might have been.

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to shoot.”

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
"It was kinda dark, so I didn't actually see anyone. Heck, I didn't even notice you when I left." Amanda said.

Maybe she was just projecting on the darkness but Emma seemed as relieved to see her as Amanda had been. Did Amanda look as scared, as nervous herself, as Emma did? She didn't know. She was scared to know what face she was putting on. She didn't want to be nervous. But she didn't want to a be an emotionless wreck either.

Another call sounded out from elsewhere within the dark room.

"Lucilly?" Amanda didn't know the girl all that well, but she didn't sound dangerous. Scared and cornered but probably not dangerous.

There were three people about in the dark room now. It wasn't a surprise she had missed them though. The room was too dark to make too much out really. The dim light fron the door wasn't enough. Amanda wanted to see.

"Hold on a second, let me get something." Amanda started fumbling with her pack, it wasn't easy, trying to get something while holding on to a gun, but she wasn't about to give up that little bit of safety, just in case anything did go wrong.

"We're all okay here, right? No one's about to do anything stupid, right?" she asked, realising how dumb of a question she was asking. What kind of murderer would give you a chance to fight back like that? A really dumb one, that was what.

Amanda finally pulled it out from somewhere deep within the pack, the torch that she had found in the pack earlier. She struggled with the switch for a second, but the light eventually came on, blindingly bright.

"Ow." Amanda recoiled slightly, almost dropping the torch.

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
The room looked worse off in the light of the torch.

How many years had this building been left here to rot? As if the straightjackets weren’t enough, there were occasional reddish brown stains on parts of the floor that Amanda sorely hoped was merely grime.

Emma and Lucilly both seemed overwhelmed in their own ways but for everything terrible about the situation, it seemed that they were as alright as a bunch of kids dumped into this situation could be.

Emma wasn't playing. Another relief.

"I... don't think I could. " Amanda answered, a little bit slower than she would have liked. She had a gun after all, she could, if she wanted. But Emma was right. It was gross. Wrong, even. But the possibilty still hung there like a spectre.

It was then that the shouting happened, someone swearing outside, and the doors burst open.

Amanda turned about instinctively, facing the girl who had entered the room, pointing both rifle and torch towards her.

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jaime's sudden shouting had felt like the equivalent of a jump scare, and for a moment Amanda had panicked. Her index finger was pressing against the safety lever, the small piece of metal preventing her finger from pulling the trigger. So much for asking if the others were doing anything stupid.

But the safety had done it’s job of preventing her from even getting near the trigger. In the end it was only a little metal lever that had stood between her and the biggest mistake of her life.

But it had worked, and the what if scenarios were resigned to her brain, and she was left standing there with the person that she almost shot shouting about how the torch was burning her eyes off.

It didn’t help that Jaime was the kind of person that Amanda couldn’t really enjoy being around in the best of circumstances. Even less so now that she was being shouted at. At least the little circle of light that Jaime was complaining about showed that she wasn’t visibly armed.

Emma seemed to be doing her best to calm Jaime down, but Amanda wasn’t sure if that would work. Lucilly seemed content to stay in her corner, an understandable but mildly frustrating response.

“Sorry!” Amanda turned the light away from the girl. “I didn’t mean to… Yeah.”

The apology felt hollow. She had almost shot her. What the heck was she supposed to say? It was dark and no one had probably seen anything, but she still knew what she had done.

“Okay. Okay. Let’s calm down and talk things out a sec.” Amanda said, as much to herself as to Jaime.

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
The whole situation was absurd.

She had a weapon pointing at Jaime, she'd asked them to calm down, and despite all that, Jaime seemed to be far more calm than she was herself.

Amanda turned her weapon down slowly, as if she was only now aware of how dangerous a rifle was. Sure, she knew what they did, but it had seemed, like any other tool when she had first picked it up. It felt different now, having pointed it at someone. It was clear how easy it was to actually kill someone. It was far too easy to just pull a trigger and kill someone.

"Alright, alright. It's down." Amanda tried to sound calm but between her unsteady breaths and her , it was clear enough that she wasn't.

Amanda fidgeted with both objects in her hands for a moment, avoiding eye contact with Jaime. To top everything off, there didn't seem to be a comfortable way to hold both the torch and the rifle so that she wouldn't point them at anyone, and she eventually decided to lean both against the operating table, casting a weird spotlight on the opposite wall.

Emma broke the near silence, and Amanda could only agree with that. Any plan was better than whatever she was doing so far, which had been looking about and panicking.

Even if no one was playing, it was more than likely that accidents were going to happen, given how close she had been to one right here.

"I looked around outside for a bit. Haven't actually seen anyone. It's not exactly very nice out there either. It was just a dim corridor. I guess it leads out."

Sitting here in the darkness wasn't going to do them any good, in any case. It was cold and damp and just really terrible in general.

"So..." Amanda tried to segue into the question in a natural manner, "What weapons did you guys end up with anyway?"

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lucilly was searching through her bag now, and Amanda couldn't help but watch, leaning against the operating table to get a better look.

It looked the same stuff that she found in her bag, food, water, and the same bunch of manuals that were a weird mix of sketchy, useful, and distasteful.

Lucilly seemed to find something as well, it's bright colour setting it apart from the other objects. Lucilly pulled it out from the bag.

"Okay. That's just wrong. Why did they even..." The terrorists had a really shitty sense of humour. Who even used magazines anymore- Nope. She was stopping that thought right there, and forgetting everything about it. That was probably for the better.

Amanda clutched the rifle a little tighter. Was she the only one who had gotten a weapon? She wasn't exactly the first person she'd entrust with one, that much was already made clear. And yet, she wasn't about to give it up either. She was going to hold on to it for as long as she could.

In any case, Emma and Lucilly were right about getting out of here. The bagstrap was already beginning to dig into her shoulder and, even if her windbreaker was waterproof, the damp was starting to get to her.

"But yeah, the two of them are right. I'm not sure how safe it is outside, but I'd rather take the risk than stay in here for the rest of my life. I'd prefer to be somewhere warm where we can dry off."

Amanda paused a second.

"It's not like staying in here will make us any safer anyway," she said.

It really didn't matter whether Jaime was going to object. Amanda was leaving and there was a good chance someone was likely to follow.

She picked up the things up from the table, stuffing the torch back into her bag. It didn't quite fit very well now that she'd moved some of the things about, but she'd been having too much trouble holding both things in her hands. Actually, shouldn't someone else be holding on to a torch instead?

"So? Anyone coming with?" she asked.

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Mild GMing approved by Kamikaze))

Good. Everyone was agreed then.

Emma seemed to have some trouble getting back up on her feet.

Was she okay? Amanda had heard the clatter of the fall earlier, but it didn't sound like it was that bad.

As the conversation turned towards crazies and lobotomies, Amanda could only guess that Emma was overwhelmed by everything in here. It wasn't too surprising. The room seemed to do it's best to make them all feel terrible.

"Need some help?" she asked, motioning towards her shoulder with a tilt of her head. "Hang on to my shoulder for a bit."

It was a little funny. She'd put away her torch because it was a little inconvenient and now she was acting as a human crutch for someone holding the torch.

The pressure was a little more than she had expected and Emma was just short enough to make walking like this really awkward, but she probably wouldn't have to do this for too long. She'd better not have to.

Lucilly was already making her way out, an action that was more than a slight surprise give how passive the girl had been so far.

"Alright, guess we're already moving."

((Amanda Tan continued in Notes from an Even Smaller Island))
Edited by Randomness, Oct 9 2016, 10:30 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Lobotomy Lab · Next Topic »
Add Reply