Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
You Could Have A Dream About Losing Your Friends; G022 start
Topic Started: Aug 14 2016, 01:17 AM (1,832 Views)
KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In her Junior year, Emma had to do a group assignment in Social Studies about an event in recent history. It was pretty simple: make a poster about something that had happened anywhere between the past few years to now. Yet, it managed to be one of the most difficult group projects she’d ever done. It wasn’t that she was exhausted. Exhaustion was always an issue with assignments, yeah, but that wasn’t the problem. The issue wasn’t the people she worked with, either. They were cool, hardworking people.

The problem was that the subject they had been randomly selected for was Survival of the Fittest. At first, Emma thought while it was not a pleasant topic, they could still finish it pretty easily. She was proven wrong once she actually did some research. It was probably the worst thing she ever had to look up. She read about other atrocities in class, sure. All kind of wars, pain, and suffering. But somehow, realizing that these were kids, just like her, was the worst part. Any one of them could have easily been like her classmates, or her friends. Even like her family. Emma had read somewhere that one time, somewhere over 250 students, plus their teachers, were abducted. What really put it into perspective was getting an idea of how many people that was. Cochise had assemblies from time to time, usually on Wednesday. As she waited for one to start a few days after the project was assigned she couldn’t help but look at all the people around her.

250 or more people would mean a lot of missing seats. How many schools had an assembly after an abduction like that? How many empty chairs were conspicuously unoccupied over the years? How many people were taken away to die? She didn’t want to find out the exact number who lived and died through such horror. Just the estimate of 250 for one incident was enough.

She couldn’t imagine what it would be like, having to kill your friends. The clips themselves couldn’t be viewed, too illegal. But there were a few survivor stories, like the National Geographic article with Kimberly Nguyen.

Emma was used to having nightmares. In fact, she’d had particularly vivid dreams her entire life. For a long time, everyone thought that it didn’t mean much. She did have night terrors, too, but she only knew about that when someone told her about it in the morning. Of course, she found out during her diagnosis that vivid, surreal dreams were something to be expected. Add in the sleep paralysis, and it meant one thing: for the next few weeks, Emma’s night time experiences were full of images of being murdered by someone she loved.

So when she first woke up inside an auditorium of some kind, with her and her classmates tied to a chair, she thought she was having another dream like that. She could vaguely remember it being hot out before they set off on their trip. Historically, Emma didn’t do well in hot weather. It made things harder to stay awake. So maybe she fell asleep on the bus.

Her heart had raced as she realized where things were going. But she remembered a trick someone had told her if she had dreams like that. There was something called “lucid dreaming,” where if you realized you were in a dream you could be able to change things in it. It sounded like something she’d experienced before in her dreams, but recently she’d tried doing it on purpose. It worked like a charm, and it made her sleep paralysis and odd dreams a bit more tolerable. Just a bit. Whenever she experienced it, it felt a bit like changing the channel to something you enjoy more.

Emma, in hindsight, knew it was a silly delusion. But in her panic, she swept into full denial and tried to change that channel. She imagined Mr. Graham turning into a giant coyote and ripping out of his chair to protect everyone. He’d be a big, friendly coyote who’d save everyone. A second later, she pictured herself getting super powers and stopping Greynolds before he approached the chair with Mr. Graham in it. A few more seconds, and she tried to will the military into showing up at the last minute before they could do anything to anyone.

Nothing budged. Greynolds still pulled out a gun, and he… he shot Mr. Graham. He shot their teacher. That’s when Emma realized she wasn’t dreaming. Her last bit of denial didn’t last. She couldn’t change a thing.

She wasn’t sure what they gassed them with, but it hadn’t felt good waking up. How long had she laid on her back, staring at the ceiling while slipping in and out of consciousness? It felt like hours. A few times she had attempted to at least sit up, only to fall back asleep again. She was making more progress waking up, though. At some point, she pulled herself up, her back against the wall. Her brain still hadn’t caught up, so she only fell back asleep. Several times her head would snap back up, with her eyes wide, then her head would droop again. It took some time before she could keep her eyes open.

Her eyes still felt groggy, but she could focus more. Was this some kind of operating room? Did they put her into a hospital? Maybe.

Suddenly, everything clicked into place. Emma still remembered what happened, but now everything fully hit her. They killed Graham, and they were forcing them to cross a line that was reprehensible in every sense. Emma felt her shoulders tighten and shake, as nausea swept over her. It wasn’t just the gas.

She wasn’t sure what to do. Maybe it was the gas, maybe it was panic, maybe it was something else. Mom and Dad had given her an idea of what to do in cases like this, and yet, she was stuck. She knew one thing, though.

“I’m not killing,” she said quietly, a tremor to her voice.

It was obvious. There were a ton of reasons why. It was a disgusting thing to do. People had families who’d miss them. She had a leadership position at the school, and she’d have to set an example. Students killing each other would reflect poorly on the school, too. And what would her family think? How would Mom and Dad feel, knowing that she’d hurt someone? What would Sabrina think, or her cousins-

Sabrina.

That snapped Emma further into alertness. She was definitely on the trip too. Maybe some of her cousins were there, as well. She didn’t want anyone to die. Not her sister, not her cousins, not her friends. Not anyone. Emma felt tears run down her face.

But she tried to stay calm.

Emma’s legs shifted a bit. She finally could move them a bit more, which was good. Still wasn’t sure what it was they drugged them with. It felt like some kind of anesthetic, which it probably was. It wasn’t a good idea to try to figure that out now, though. It wasn’t that important, or at least she didn’t think it was.

She turned her head to the left, and to the right. It ached to do so, but her suspicions were confirmed. Operating room. It looked run-down, though, like nothing had been in use for a long time. There were a lot of boxes and chairs strewn about, too, which was strange. She noticed something about one of the chairs, though. It had some kind of black object laying on top. Emma’s eyes blinked behind her red frames for a beat, until she realized what it was. A bag? Hers?

Emma placed her hands and knees on the ground, and slowly crawled towards the chair. The strap hung off the chair, like some sort of vine. The nausea and drowsiness still followed her, making it more difficult to keep her balance even in this position. Small colorful shapes danced in the corner of her vision. But she kept going. Had to. Opening that bag would mean accepting what’s happening, but at least there would be something useful.

Her hand touched the strap. Emma bit her lips a bit. They were a little dry. But she pulled the bag down. It slid off the chair and onto her right arm, making a loud thud. She cried out. It didn’t hurt that much, but it was still enough of a jolt.

While she didn’t realize it yet, someone could probably hear her from the other rooms.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Somewhere in the room, there was a series of sobs.

Emma froze up, her eyes widening. Even though the gas was still clouding her mind, she could still figure out one thing: someone else was here. Sounded like a girl, too. It could mean many things. Maybe it was someone safe, maybe it wasn’t.

She slid the bag off her hand, and slowly pulled herself into a kneel. It felt a bit like her brain was sloshing around in her skull. Emma looked around. She still had her glasses on, but even then it was somewhat more difficult to focus. It didn’t help it was dark, either.

The sobbing only got louder, mixing well with Emma’s heartbeat. Her mouth felt even more dry. She wasn’t sure if she should say something. It could be someone dangerous. But who at the school would be dangerous? There was somewhat of a bad crowd at the school, but most schools did. She also didn’t think most- if not all- would kill people, either. Their school was different, right? Cochise was a good school, full of good people. Hopefully that was still the case.

Before she could say anything, there was another sound. It was something like a door creaking open. Emma snapped her head towards the noise. Someone was saying something. Another girl? Yeah, another girl. Different girl.

Mom and Dad had taught her a lot. She’d been to self-defense lessons, and had gone camping with them. But, she realized, she still couldn’t remember if they told her what to do in situations like this. So she did the only thing she could think of.

She raised her arms up with her palms flat.

“It… it’s…”

Emma couldn’t speak. Maybe she was still incoherent from the drugs, maybe she was just nervous. But the back of her throat tasted bitter.

“E-emma. It’s… it’s me. Emma-a.”

Her voice came out quiet and slightly slurred.

Hopefully, if she could see her, she’d realize she was unarmed. Hopefully her, and the other girl, were safe people. Hopefully Emma made the right choice.

She tightly closed her eyes, waiting for what would happen next.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Emma slowly opened her eyes.

“Amanda?”

Amanda. Amanda Tan was a flighty girl, but not a bad one. She could remember being on committees with her. Amanda was a good person, right? Right. She was pretty hardworking and trustworthy. Maybe she was still like that. She said she wasn’t going to shoot, though. For a second, Emma wasn’t sure whether or not to trust her. But she came closer into view, and Emma saw that she had a rifle of some kind. Again, she said she wasn’t going to shoot it, but Emma’s heart still skipped a beat when she noticed it.

As she lowered her arms, she realized she had been holding in her breath. A gasp of air escaped her lips.

“Amanda. It’s… good to see you. Really.”

Emma smiled, even if she was still nervous. Hopefully Amanda didn’t have killing on her mind. She didn’t like the idea of getting murdered, of course. But she also didn’t like the idea of someone she knew turning out to be a murderer.

“Hey… did you see anyone, um, else? I… kind of heard sobbing.”

The nausea still floated around her brain. Emma’s hand reached up underneath her glasses to massage her eyes. She heard somewhere that rubbing your eyes wasn’t a good idea, but it was still a hard habit to break.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As Emma pulled her hand away from her face, her fingertips came up wet. But the other voice made itself known pretty quickly.

“Lucilly?”

Lucilly was a name that rang a bell to her, too. One thing Emma could remember about her was that she babysat a lot of kids. She was a nice girl as well. She enjoyed sewing too, if she could remember correctly, and did volunteer stuff.

She came into view, and yes, it was her.

“Lucilly… I’m… I’m glad to see you too,” she said.

Despite everything, Emma felt herself smile a bit. Amanda and Lucilly were both good people. Hopefully she could trust them with her life.

“Yeah, I’m o-okay,” Emma said in response to Amanda’s question. “I’m not feeling well right now, but, um, I don’t see myself doing what they say. It’s pretty… gross. What they want you to do, I mean. What about you?”

Talking was starting to get a bit easier. It seemed like the gas was wearing off fine, and she’d just have to deal with the usual fog soon. That’d still be a problem, though.

Emma instinctively squinted and raised an arm across her face once Amanda flicked on the flashlight. That was never a good experience, going straight from darkness to bright light. But once she moved her arm away and her eyes adjusted, she could get a better look at the two. Amanda looked nervous. Lucilly still had trails of snot and tears on her face. Emma couldn’t help but feel for them. She hoped that they were doing okay emotionally, just as they were physically.

“Hey, it might be… be good for me to sit down, okay? Maybe I’ll… er… feel better.”

Emma placed her hands on the chair her bag had been on, and started pulling herself up. Her legs felt stiff, like they had weights attached. But it would probably be better to sit on the chair, rather than the dirty floor, didn’t it? Emma softly groaned as her leg muscles started working for what felt like the first time in a while. Her feet were now touching the floor, which was good. Now she just had to put her body in the chair, and lean forward.

Unfortunately, a series of loud curse words filled the room, and Emma felt her legs slip under her. Her hands were still tightly grasped onto the chair’s backrest, but she lost some balance from the shock. That wasn’t Lucilly or Amanda. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to know who that was.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A shriek had filled the room, followed by a stream of light pointed towards the new person. It was swiftly followed by a snarl.

Emma still held on tight to the chair, her knees wobbling some. Jaime was a bit of a hothead at school, that she knew. She’d developed a reputation for arguing with teachers, and while she did have some legitimate arguments she still was a stubborn girl. Being a stubborn person wasn’t that much of a bad thing. Growing up, Emma was familiar with people calling her that. In a way, being that tenacious was a good thing. But she wasn’t sure if it still was when it came to dealing with Jaime. She’d known Jaime, too, from when they took first aid together. She didn’t seem armed, but Emma still felt herself breathing faster.

“Jaime! Jaime, it’s a-alright. No one here will hurt you. Really,” she said.

Emma still felt unwell. Her mouth was still dry, she still felt like throwing up, and her legs still had trouble responding. But, she still felt the situation with Jaime could be defused. If she was just upset, and not at all dangerous, then it probably could be easy. Despite her aching muscles, she tried to pull her head up to look Jaime in the face. Like Emma, Amanda and Lucilly weren’t playing, and hopefully they’d help calm her down too. Hopefully.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Amanda told Jaime to calm down. Was that a good idea? Emma knew one thing about people: they didn’t like to be told to calm down. Usually that made them more angry and defensive. Jaime probably wasn’t the type who’d relax after someone telling her to do so, either. But Jaime’s voice did have a more normal tone. Not significantly, but still.

Emma looked towards Amanda, and nodded in agreement. Jaime had said that the gun had made her uncomfortable, so it was probably a good idea to put it down for the time being. It hit her, though. It was something she didn’t realize at first, but seeing the gun in her hands made her realize it. Amanda had pulled the gun on her. Sure, she was scared, and Jaime could have been someone dangerous. But it still happened.

How many times would she have to point it at someone? Would there be a time where she’d fire? Hurt someone? Kill?

Emma tried to push that thought aside, but it stuck for a bit longer than she would have liked.

She began the process of pulling herself back up into the chair again. Her muscles still ached with each movement. But her feet touched the ground once more, and, with a groan, she plopped onto the seat. She leaned forward, her face towards the ground. She massaged the space between her right thumb and forefinger with her left hand. But a few seconds later, she looked up.

All three girls seemed scared or upset in their own way. She couldn’t blame them. But she had to bring it up.

“Hey, guys,” she said. “It… might be a good idea to figure out what we’re going to do for the next few days.”

There were a lot of things that still needed to be accounted for. Food and water were obvious. A good place to stay was another. While it seemed okay for the basics, it was dark and dreary in here. Probably not good psychologically in the grand scheme of things. And… then there were the more dangerous people. Emma hoped, with all her heart, that not many people at Cochise would be the type. She would be so happy if there were only a few deaths at most, and if they could leave without killing. Of course, there were safe people, too. Sabrina and her cousins, hopefully they were alright and not in any danger. Sabrina had been on the trip, so that was one person to look out for. She wasn’t sure how many of her cousins had gone. But there was a good chance that any one of them could be stuck here. For a moment, her imagination gave her the mental image of her cousins, betrayed and murdered. It wasn’t just her family, either. She had friends, too. Friends that, if something happened to them, would devastate her.

She spoke up again.

“Did any of you see anyone else? Um… before we met up, I mean.”

Emma remembered that Amanda said she didn’t a second after she finished talking. But Lucilly and Jaime could still have answers. Maybe they’d give her an idea of what it was like out there, if they knew about anything.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Emma frowned. On one hand, it was good that no one encountered someone dangerous. On the other, she’d been hoping that they would have ran into a friend or one of her relatives. It was a naïve thought, sure, but it didn’t hurt asking. But, like her, no one had encountered anyone else. But everyone had stayed safe thus far, which was a plus. Lucilly also said that she didn’t want to run into anyone else, either. In a way, Emma could respect that. On the other, she still was antsy about who was in danger and who to watch out for.

“I haven’t checked yet,” she said in response to Amanda’s question. “I… was kind of in-and-out before you guys found me. I could look, though?”

Emma looked around, and saw her bag, still sitting on the floor where she’d left it. She leaned forward, and with another groan she pulled it up by the strap and put it onto her lap. Presumably, that’s where they’d put it. It looked like Amanda’s rifle was too big, so that might not have been the case. It was worth looking in there, though. But Jaime’s idea made her stop, and look around again.

Amanda’s flashlight revealed more details of the room they were in. Large puddles littered the ground, the light reflecting off of them. It looked like there was mold from the moisture, since there were some dark spots on the walls and ceiling. A cold and wet place could mean someone getting sick. Spending a few days in a dark, wet, and cold room with no windows seemed unpleasant, too. She couldn't possibly imagine staying here for days on end. Maybe one, but no more. It did have the benefit of hiding spots, though. Amanda did say she didn’t see anyone else in here at first, did she?

But the flashlight had landed on something that got Emma’s attention. While the boxes did cast shadows along the room, she noticed that the light highlighted a yellowed poster on the wall. It was a little dim, but it appeared to show a cross-section of the human skull. As she continued looking at it, a look of disgust passed over her face as she noticed more details. It showed a needle going through someone’s eyes and into the frontal lobe area. A disturbing enough image as-is, but Emma had taken Psychology as an elective. She still couldn’t believe that people did that as a treatment. It was beyond cruel, and it was often for unnecessary things.

It wasn’t something good to stare at for the next few days.

“Holing up somewhere’s a good idea,” she said, adjusting herself nervously. “Just… not here. We might end up sick and miserable over the next few days.”
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Emma briefly looked back down at her bag, and slowly unzipped. Right away, she saw what she guessed was food and water. A few bottles were laid side by side, along with some bars and some bread. Placed just beside the bottle was a flashlight, which Emma picked up. At least it was thoughtful of them to give them a light source? She guessed? Still didn’t make up for the fact that they were here, though.

Emma saw a first aid kit, also convenient. And… was that a coil of metal? She almost grabbed it, only to realize what it was, even in the dim light. Barbed wire.

She could have easily nicked herself open if her hand was only an inch closer. The last thing she needed was tetanus. What was she supposed to do with barbed wire? Back at home, you used it to keep coyotes out. They’d raised chickens, and you didn’t want a coyote in. But would it protect them against dangerous classmates here? For a moment, Emma pictured all the ways someone could kill someone else with wire. She stopped just as she pictured it being used to strangle someone, the barbs digging into their neck. Emma felt her skin crawl at the thought.

Emma looked up again, and saw Lucilly holding a magazine of some kind. She squinted her eyes at it, only to tear her head away once she saw a flash of flesh. Emma felt her face contort. What was that? A woman? Doing things? But that looked painful. Did they really expect them to find a way to murder someone with… no. She didn’t want to know. She didn’t want to look at it any more. It was gross.

Emma decided to stop her own search then and there. They were probably going to leave soon, anyways. Though, she did flick on her flashlight. Amanda had put hers away, and it was good to have a source of light no matter what.

“Hang on, gimme a sec…” she said. “Still feeling unwell.”

She still wasn’t sure if she could stand without help, much less walk. Did they know about her health problems? It was something that she didn’t try to hide nowadays, largely because it was more convenient for people to know. Emma was sure it was mostly the gas, but still. Her muscles ached and begged as she attempted to stand. Two feet flat on the ground, and she pulled herself up. Well, she could stand now, which was good. The hard part was, though, slinging the strap over her shoulder. It felt like a bunch of weights. She felt like a zombie. A few white flashes flicked around in her vision. She still felt somewhat nauseous and disorientated, but she was making good progress. She slowly stepped towards the exit. Her boots squeaked with each baby step.

“Loony bin?” she asked. “Well, it does appear to be a run-down operating room. And, um…”

She stopped for a second. With her free hand, she pointed at the diagram she’d noticed a few minutes ago.

“I think they did lobotomies in here. Basically, if you’re unruly, they’d stick a pick into your brain and-“

Emma cut herself off. Wow. She really wasn’t helping, wasn’t she? The last thing anyone wanted to hear about in a survival situation was outdated and cruel treatment methods. But knowing that they were in some kind of mental asylum, that was helpful. Maybe they’d have supplies that’d hold up for a few days. Shelter and hiding spots, too.

She rubbed her face. She needed to leave. She wouldn’t be cold, she’d get some fresh air so that she could breathe and think, and she needed to feel comfortable. It would help everyone else, too.

"Right. Let's go, then."
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Emma, hesitated, then nodded.

“Sure,” she said, leaning close to Amanda.

Did she really look that bad? She guessed so. Emma felt bad, but she probably looked worse. There’d been a few times where people noticed that she looked sick, before she realized that she actually was. Sure, she knew her own body pretty well, but you know. Sometimes people noticed things she didn’t. But, to everyone, it seemed pretty clear just how terrible she felt. Then again, she did talk about her health issues back home, so they could have remembered, too.

Her flashlight lit up the hallway as they walked outside. A sign on the door confirmed her suspicions. Lobotomy lab. Yeah, it was probably even more of a good idea to leave. A few days, in a cold, dark, and damp place, where people did horrible things? It was enough to make anyone completely miserable.

Hopefully they’d find somewhere warm and comfortable. Hopefully the food and water wouldn’t run out, and they’d get more. Hopefully, if they ran into someone else, they’d be friendly. Hopefully her friends and family were okay. Hopefully they could go home soon.

Hopefully.

((Emma Luz continued in Notes from an Even Smaller Island))
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Lobotomy Lab · Next Topic »
Add Reply