Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thirteen Steps; Open! :3
Topic Started: Aug 13 2016, 09:49 PM (1,153 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Lizzie Luz continued from Those Who Play The Most Dangerous Game)

So. No weapons. Nothing but her duffel bag, heavy enough all on its own. Walk on, your powerful legs carrying you on forever. She could walk indefinitely, go where she willed. As long as she stuck to this island. As long as she wore this collar.

There was a part of her that regretted abandoning the sword. There was a part of her that regretted abandoning the people.

So she wandered, headed down the cliffs, crossed a bridge and made her way towards a large building. The man-made paths were all thick with weeds, nature slowly creeping back where man had once displaced it. Truth be told, she kept walking, kept looking, less to find her fellow students and more because this place looked like the exact kinda thing she would have wanted to see and explore. Old habits die hard, right?

Would she?

She shivered, and this time she didn't feel quite like laughing. That clifftop conversation had drained her. She didn't understand...

People couldn't really be thinking like that. Could they? Had Alex and Tara meant it? Would anyone else...

She found a large window broken by a fallen tree. Without thinking, she hopped atop the trunk and clambered along, slipped through the window and crunched down atop broken glass. She winced at the sound, but when no one responded she kept moving through the large building.

She came to a stop when she heard voices. Her heart leapt into her throat, and her skin crawled.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Voices. They might not have heard her, but she could hear them, too clearly. Sound carried in this place.

"I don't know, man."

Well, duh. Be way more fucked up if you did know. How could any of them know? What the fuck was this place? How was this still a thing that happened? Why hadn't these terrorists been caught and executed years ago?

"Harry, man...I don't...I dunno if it's safe for you to be around me. You know the kinda...y'know, reputation I've got. Somebody's liable to...I dunno. Do somethin'. I don't want you caught up in that."

That voice...was that Tyler Yazzie? Scary-lookin' kid with a scary lookin' rep. She'd heard things. Bad things. Hurt people things. But the way he was talking, the way he sounded...that didn't sound like someone who was scary. That sounded like someone trying to make sense of a real bad situation.

"Don't gimme any of that shit, Ty."

Ha! Damn right. No one who sounded like that, who was that worried about their friends getting hurt, should get left in the cold. Mystery voice had it.

"You know I can take care of myself. I know you can take care of yourself. Sticking together and watching each other's backs is the obvious thing to do, yeah?"

Good on him, but Lizzie wasn't sure she agreed. Was this the kind of place you wanted to stick it out with your friends? But who wanted to be tied down, now of all times? Who wanted to be trapped and choking, never knowing what would happen? Wasn't it better to strike out on your own, look out for yourself, figure yourself out because she was going to die, because the tight rope was swaying and she knew the fall was coming, no matter how she ran? Did she want other people on the rope with her? Wasn't that why she'd left Tara and Alex behind?

That was the thing to do. Leave. Go again, before you got tied down. This is your time, Lizzie. The last time you might ever have. You can't waste it-

Can't waste it talking to two human beings, both looking out for each other, refusing to run.

She took a steadying breath, crept forwards, and knocked on the doorframe leading into the room.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"That's easy," Lizzie said, pushing the door open, hands up in the air. "I don't have any."

She didn't smile. Her eyes swept from one man to the next. She somehow turned her gesture of surrender into a casual wave. "Hi," she said. "Sorry for-"

A voice, from the hall. Lizzie yelped and tumbled inside, scrambling backwards, panting as her thoughts whirled wildly. She stared back at the woman just barely visible through the doorway.

"Sweet Christ," she gasped. "A little warning next time, please!"

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay. Okay. Everything looking peaceful, more or less. Gun was away, no one was fighting, no one ewas dying. Good. Good.

How long are we going to keep this up?

She rose from her place on the ground, flushing slightly, suddenly and strangely embarassed. Haha sorry about that just thought you might be someone about to kill me lol). She considered apologizing, and-

And she wasn't terrified anymore, so Astrid's words actually reached her brain and clicked together. She blinked. "Courtesy," ehe said. "I...guess. More-" She trailed off, eyes flickering to Ty and Harold. "Uh," she said. "Sorry, I was...I heard you guys. You sounded...like people worth talking to, I guess?" She shrugged. "So I...yeah."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
[breaking post order with permission]

First time for everything. Right. First time for lofty thoughts, first time for trust, first time for collars on your neck and death nipping at your heels.

She raised her hand again, grazed the rigid circle of metal with her fingertips.

"Gun control," she said, and snickered. Hands flew from the collar and to her mouth. "Sorry," she said. "Ever since I got here, I just can't-"

She snickered again. Gun control. It was funny, because a man had already been shot in front of them. It was funny because who knew how many of their fellow classmates would get guns, would choose to shoot.

It had happened before. It had happened five times before.

"So you guys...you don't think you'll kill?" she asked, looking between them.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lizzie smiled at Harold. Yeah, that was what she wanted to hear. She wanted to know she wasn't alone in being scared. She wanted to know that there was someone else with that desperate, stomach-deep exhilaration at the prospect that she could die at any moment. She wanted to know that there was someone else who had realized...

Had realized what?

"Iím going to end up killing someone. I donít know who. I donít know when. But itís going to happen. Iím notÖ Iím not dying here. I canít. IíveÖ"

Her eyes flashed towards Astrid, widening in shock.

"I can't die yet."

Harold and Ty made to leave, They seemed to share her apprehension, her revulsion, towards Astrid. Harold said as much. Said everything she was thinking.

But Lizzie couldn't let them go that easily. Her head was too full.

"Hey, guys?" she called, when they were halfway out the door. "Just...you know..." She felt color flushing, her eyes flashing between them. "You're good people," she said. "Like...like, really good." Her eyes rested on Ty. "Remember that, okay? Just...whatever happens. You're good."

Silence, as the boys left. Silence, as Lizzie ignored Harold's good advice. She was staring at Astrid.

"Yes," she said. "You can. We can." She felt oddly calm. She didn't even feel the need to laugh. She was just watching the other girl, the girl so determined to live she didn't hear how terribly idiotic she sounded.

"Doesn't matter," Lizzie said. "You saw that room. We're all here. Lotta people are gonna think like you. You gonna kill them all?"
Edited by Grim Wolf, Sep 20 2016, 10:52 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
[Skipping in order to exit]

She stared into Astrid's face. Her eyes softened. "Doesn't look like it," Lizzie said. "I don't think you should, even if you could."

She moved past her. "None of us can die yet," Lizzie said. "None of us should die yet."

And what did you do to live? What was the alternative, with a gun in your hand and a collar in your neck?

Easy to talk big. Harder to figure out what the fuck you were supposed to do, to make it real.

(Eliza Luz continued in We're Here Because We're Here)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Oct 3 2016, 04:19 PM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Group Therapy · Next Topic »
Add Reply