Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Plutonian Wharf; Open
Topic Started: Aug 13 2016, 06:19 PM (716 Views)
Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
'Fear cuts deeper than swords.'
---George RR Martin

(Henry Spencer-V6 Start)

Henry was not one for regrets, but he could sure use a fedora.

After all, what was the point of having a cool Indiana Jones bullwhip without a fedora to match? Or like, khakis or something. Did he wear khakis? Henry couldn't remember. He had on a lot of beige, but since Henry hadn't seen the movies in forever and wasn't much for movie factoids it had slipped his mind.

How unfortunate.

The whip itself was hanging from Henry's hand while he walked down what looked like some form of wharf, possibly a harbor. There was some manner of warehouse a distance away, and what looked like a helipad. Henry's deductions were bolstered by the labels on the map, telling him he was at 'the docks'. The map had also indicated that he was on an island built to support some form of (probably) uninhabited psychiatric ward.

That was pretty awesome! It was like a horror...movie...yeah, a bunch of people trapped on a deserted island with an abandoned lunatic asylum. That had all kinds of potential. Coooool. And Henry was the charming, knowledgeable investigator who would save the day!

Henry's grin lost most of its luster for a moment.

Cracking the whip was an interesting task. He was familiar with the technique and physics involved, and had been delighted to discover that, after a few minutes of practice, he could reliably make the cracking sound by performing a standard 'loop' crack, or in a forward lash. That was pretty cool! Now he could...perform with the...the whip if...he wanted. Yeah!

The docks were fairly large, and Henry had been walking down the gangway along the water for several minutes when he heard a noise in the distance. Startled, Henry raised the whip, prepared to fight off any impending...ghosts if necessary. After a second, though, he realized it was someone's voice. They were crying.

Henry jumped into action, running in spite of the heavy bag he carried on one shoulder, until he spotted someone. Hey, he knew them! It was Jasper Busterman! He was nice, he liked fish and stuff. He was also crying on the ground. Maybe he needed help!

Panting slightly, Henry crouched next to Jasper's position on the pier, trying to muster up the respiratory stability to actually speak. "Hey...it's He...Henry. You okay?" Henry smiled at the other boy.
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Henry grinned at Jasper's response. Then he dropped the smile, and looked concerned instead. Having caught his breath, he replied, "I'm okay, really. I've got this-" he held up the whip and attempted to crack it, but it only made a dull thudding noise as it wacked the ground. Without pausing, Henry added, "And you're cool people, so I'm glad I found you and not some jerk."

Now Henry paused. Then he added, "Or a ghost out for revenge, or something." Something...Henry went quiet for a second, looking down at the ground. Who-

"Ooh! I bet we could find some really neat fish here! I go fishing a lot with my dad. This one time, I caught a turtle! It was really cute." Henry's exclamation was met with a wild, almost manic energy as he gestured to the rough size of the turtle (about as big as an American football). "Do you have a fishing rod? We could totally try and catch something really cool! Maybe like, a rare animal nobody's ever seen before!"

Henry was nearly vibrating with energy up to this point, but then he stopped. He froze in place, eyes widened and mouth partly open. He was perfectly still. Then, everything was as before, and Henry was talking again like nothing had happened. "If we don't have a pole we could find a stick and some string. And then we could dig up worms!"

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Henry jumped back and nearly fell off the dock when Jasper cried out as his bag apparently bit him. Wait, something in the bag did it. Maybe there was a biting thing in his bag, like a puppy! Why-

Henry froze again, face blank once more.

"Y-you okay Jasper? Wait, I asked that already." Henry tilted his head, looking concerned at his friend. He was bleeding from his palm, which looked unpleasant. The human hand was a sensitive area with a disproportionate number of nerves and blood vessels due to its importance. Hopefully Jasper wouldn't get a scar there, that'd be inconvenient if-

"Oh!" Henry exclaimed suddenly. He set his bag on the ground and started going through it again. "Hang on, I might have a bandaid or something if you want. Fishing buddies don't let each other go around getting hurt, right? Plus it's unsanitary to touch fish with cuts on your hands, you could contract fish-handler's disease which can result in sepsis."

Glancing back, Henry peeked into his friend's bag. Seemed like Jasper had a piece of glass in there. That was awfully unfortunate. Hopefully if it was like a bottle or something whatever was in it didn't spill out. Although it would definitely spill if it was in a bottle. Maybe it had contained a refreshing beverage and Jasper had drunk it? And then forgotten it was in there and it broke and now he'd cut himself.

How rude. It was probably a soda. Pop culture has been very violent lately, after all. There were far too many soda jerks around these days.

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hah, it was a bottle! Henry was right, as usual.

To add even further to his triumph, Henry successfully located his medical kit, from which he obtained a small latex butterfly bandage. "Here!" He said. He briefly considered tossing the bandage packet over to Jasper, but the wind would probably carry it into the water or something which would be awkward.

So he handed it to Jasper instead.

"You probably need to disinfect it too." Henry pointed out. He moved back to his bag to double check for a Neosporin or something. It sure was convenient they had these first aid kits here. Otherwise someone might get hurt.

"Got some disinfectant!" Henry turned around and held out an alcohol pad. "Wipe this on it so you don't get an infection." Geez, going through the bag with one hand was challenging. He didn't want to put down the bullwhip, though. His fingers were still tightly wrapped around the handle of it, the body of the whip laying across the pier like a dead snake.

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jasper flung the bottle into the water. Henry was going to chastise him for littering, but then he was distracted by a fish he thought he saw in the water by the pier. Oh man, it looked like some kind of grouper. Or...was it? Henry couldn't tell. He really wished he had a fishing pole now, though.

Suddenly, a voice came through the area. "Hello!" Henry called back to the person. He recognized Arthur; he was a pretty swell guy. Didn't he have a sister? "We're okay right now, Jazz-man just scraped his hand on a glass bottle." He grinned.

"Luckily we have vanquished the offending object!" Henry raised his hand in triumph, nearly tripping as the length of bullwhip tangled around his leg and yanked him off-balance. He sat back down. "I'm okay. All good."

Then he blinked, and said, "I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay." His breathing started to speed up, and his face went pale. Then, he was back to his usual smiley self. "Do you want to go fishing with us?" He called to Arthur.

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Arthur had a gun.

Henry sharply inhaled as he identified the object in the guy's hands. Then he relaxed, because as Arthur said, it was just a paintball gun. He smiled at his new companion.

"Do you have actual paint, like, in ball form? Or just the applicator?" Henry tilted his head, examining the device. He knew some of his classmates had a paintball interest, but he'd never tried it himself. How unfortunate; perhaps Arthur could demonstrate?

Not on him, of course.

An anxious look crossed Henry's face like a cloud, but he recovered quickly. "We were just planning on hanging out, you know? It's a nice day out." In truth it was a bit brisk, but Henry was dressed relatively warmly as usual. Arizona's heat never really bothered him, truth be told.

"What about you? You wanna join us? We were thinking of finding some sticks and twine. You know. For the fishing." Henry smiled again.

Espi
Member Avatar
Death By Truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, let's go!"

Grinned, adjusted the strap of his bag, and started to make his way towards the building that had been pointed out.

He was excited. He was going to go fishing on a remote island. Who knew what he might find here? This was going to be fun. Just him, Jasper, and Arthur, hanging out. Maybe they'd run into some more friends, too? Henry hoped he'd meet up with Jae soon.

((Henry Spencer continued in Self Doubts and Hurricanes))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Docks · Next Topic »
Add Reply