Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Five Finger Death Punch; B015 - Start
Topic Started: Aug 13 2016, 05:07 PM (1,808 Views)
Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Just remember; you could be at the science museum right now."

B015 - Travis Lynch: Start

Trav was sitting on the roof, his legs dangling over the edge. Things had certainly taking a turn. He remembered the bus and falling asleep but his morning...not so hot. He kicked his legs as he considered his options. His bag; with his number stenciled on it sat next to him. He'd looked through it a few minutes earlier, there was nothing much in it. His weapon was useful but truth be told his chances of actually using it were slim to none.

He looked down at the ground that seemed to stretch out further away from him. Waking up had been a scary moment, he had been placed next to the edge, meaning the first thing he saw was the drop to the floor below. It had certainly kicked started his adrenaline.

Now though he was just sat there, contemplating life and looking out at the horizon. Just being sappy as fuck. He grinned to himself at the joke. The moment he was enjoying was probably the most peace he'd have for the rest of his time. Just him, a slightly chilly breeze, and the view.

"I mean its not a bad view."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cass made Trav jump. There was no hiding it. There was also no hiding from the brief panic he faced as he thought might fall off the roof. The adrenaline dump he got when he didn't helped dull the edge of his shock.

"Fuucck." Trav drew the word out before letting out a nervous laugh. "Nearly scared the life out of me." He turned to look at the person who had spoken to him. They were a slim, african-american girl on the taller side. Trav thought he recognized her from school but he wasn't sure. He didn't know her though.

He offered her a smile. He tried to make it as friendly and warm as possible.

"Glad someone else thinks so." He reached over and dragged his bag out of the way, creating a more open space on the flat platform of the roof they found themselves on. It was a silent offer. She could come and join him if she wanted, if not; he wasn't going to offended by it. It was probably the smarter move considering their circumstances.

Trav stayed sitting where he was but turned his head back to take in the sunrise.

"I'm imprinting this one in my memory."

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Trav."

He was glad she joined him. He wasn't sure why. Maybe it was the companionship. The knowledge that he could share what he was seeing with someone else. He was a social creature after all.

"I'm sure it would have been a great painting." Eventually the sun finished it's ascent and with it the time capsule the two seemed to be caught in ended; with a sigh Trav laid down on his back, turning his head to face the girl, taking in her features. They were sharp but her round eyes made her seem friendly enough. He turned his head back to the sky, the image of Mr. Graham getting shot flashed in his mind, followed by the video. Trav absently tapped his collar with one hand. The coldness of it would have been a good metaphor but Trav wasn't able to come up with one smart enough.

Instead he decided to enjoy the company he was being given.

"What's your plan Cass?"

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Well, I can't think of a good reason to leave." Trav said with a grin.

He was watching the clouds move overhead, drifting over the two of them. The irony of everything around them being so peaceful considering what was to come wasn't lost on him. For now though he was content to let everything happen around him. The roof was their shared private haven.

Obviously it wasn't going to last, Trav knew that. He also knew that he was one of the students best prepared for a fight to the death. Sure, he didn't have any idea how to use a gun besides pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger. Hand to hand fighting though? That was a different story, it was his wheelhouse, he was tall, in shape, athletic and knew how to put those physical gifts to good use. Being able to put that in action against someone he knew and had gone to school with? That was another question altogether, but if someone pushed him Trav would push back. Only if he was pushed though.

"This can be our private spot. No one else allowed." He smiled again. Humour. The best defense against hopelessness.

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Ironically, I want to fight people for a living."

Trav lightly scratched behind one of his ears.

"Being an MMA fighter is the only thing I've ever wanted to do with my life. So I suppose I want to keep doing it, get to the UFC and win a world title, as generic as that sounds; on the other hand it's my dream so if people think it's dumb fuck 'em." Trav chuckled. His parents had always been supportive of him, they accepted what he wanted to do with his life and were glad he had a passion. He could tell at some points they had been unsure, but as soon as he had started amateur fights they saw his potential. He loved them for that. They came to every fight, told him they would support him as much as they could. He wasn't going to get a chance to repay that.

Pushing the dark thoughts from his mind, Trav refocused his gaze on the clouds.

"What about you Cass? What are your dreams?"

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Trav contemplated what Cass had said. Even though he hardly knew her, Cass' acceptance of his dream and reassurance that there was nothing wrong with it was comforting. He didn't know why. Maybe it was because they were a stranger and they accepted it. Normally you got that sort of unquestioning faith out of friends and family, when Trav thought about it, the idea that people could just support you without knowing you was a big deal.

He could appreciate Cass' dream as well. They both shared a similar idea, except Trav's art was based around the violence he inflicted upon other people. To that end he probably considered Cass' dream a more noble effort. She wanted to make something other people could get appreciation out of. Anyone who wanted to create something for the purpose of other peoples enjoyment was alright by Trav. Maybe some people would think that the idea of making something that people remembered was a little egotistical but Trav assumed that deep down all artists were kind of in it for that part too.

"That sounds pretty cool. Art tends to be remembered for hundreds of years after all. So people would be getting enjoyment out of it even after we're gone."

Smooth Trav. Smooth.

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Trav laughed at Cass' embarrassment at taking over the conversation. It was just the idea of someone being so self-conscious about conversational cues despite the situation they found themselves in. In the end it probably wouldn't matter but sticking to social rules that used to exist was probably a good idea. If only to keep them from going crazy.

"Don't worry about it. I reckon someday people will stop and look. Someone will care enough or like it enough that they try to find more or find out who you were." Trav paused as he thought about how he wanted to phrase the next part. He knew what to say, it was just how to say it. "It will help someone at some stage."

Good enough he guessed.

Coughing slightly due to a dry throat Trav sat up and started looking through his bag, eventually finding a bottle of water. He took a few quick sips, and looked out over the horizon. There wasn't much he could see that was interesting. He was sitting on the most interesting thing. The asylum, a good metaphor to show what the terrorists wanted them to do. They wanted them to go crazy and kill each other. That was a better metaphor he reckoned.

"I mean I hope maybe one day someone will look at a video of my fights and be like 'This guy's technique and the way he kicks' but y'know not a big sample size." He shrugged, not sure how to continue his train of thought.

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It had been fun while it lasted.

Now Trav and Cass had no choice but to engage with the game of death they found themselves in. Trav wasn't a fan of the idea. He didn't know Vanessa or Jae well if at all. They didn't hang around with similar people to him. Not that Trav was close friends with that many people at Cochise on the same point, he tended to only hang out with a few and was proper friends with less by his estimate. It wasn't that he was a loner or quiet, he was sure people didn't mind him being around. He just didn't see many people as his friend. Maybe it was a side-effect of the amount of training he did on a weekly basis; did his lack of friends mean he had wasted his high school years? Not the most positive thinking.

Vanessa seemed fine when you considered all the potential scenarios and ways things could go wrong. Jae on the other hand, was a mess. He'd been in a fight and from the look of it he had lost it to boot. The fact that both of them had come up to the roof together was a good sign. There wasn't much chance of them trying to start something when they had one and a half working bodies. Trav felt safe enough in the situation and his own abilities to feel comfortable.

"Not much, we've been sitting up here enjoying the sunrise. Looks like you guys have had a lot more happen this morning."

The part of Trav that actually thought about things was at work and it wanted to know who the threat was.

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alvaro huh? That was surprising since Alvaro was five four and weighed all of nothing. Regardless Trav filed the information away, he was confident he would be able to deal with Alvaro in a straight fight but it all depended on what weapon he had. Trav couldn't safely say whether he'd be able to deal with an Alvaro that had a knife or bat, as for a gun...Trav knew better than to try.

"Yeah, no kidding." Trav said, he was adding people to lists in his head. Alvaro was going under 'Nuts' and 'Danger'; Nancy got away with just a 'Nuts'. Unbeknownst to him Cass was doing something similar. Vanessa seemed relatively relaxed and calm considering the state Jae was in. Trav wasn't trying to be a downer or anything but Jae had a wounded deer look about him with the damage he had taken. That wasn't Trav's concern though, he had no desire to cause harm.

The more depressing fact was that people had already turned to fighting and trying to kill in the time it had taken the sun to rise. It was a strange concept to consider that while he and Cass had been watching that sunrise some of their class could have died. It was...weird.

Trav was still sat there, water bottle in one hand. He took another quick sip and looked at Vanessa, table leg in her left hand clearly visible.

"You guys missed a hell of a sunrise."

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Trav shook his head and waved off Jae's request. He hadn't smoked before; he wasn't going to start now. It seemed too much like giving up. If the others wanted too, that was fine with him. He didn't like the idea of smoking to begin with and the fact that its status as the one of the deadliest substances but was still legal struck as the type of thing the terrorists were probably all about. He could also imagine the great irony of a smoker winning the game and then going on to die of lung cancer. A result of the mix of PTSD and cigarettes used to calm the nerves...god that was depressing. There was probably some fancy word to describe something like that but philosophy had never been one of Trav's strong points.

Vanessa's laughing caught his attention. It wasn't a friendly or happy noise. There was a harsh edge to it. He would have had more of a response but Cass had already answered the other girls’ questions. He wasn't sure what Vanessa's point was supposed to be or what she wanted them to do instead. There weren't many options when you got to down to it. There was:

Hole up
Find your friends
Kill your classmates
Kill yourself
Escape

Those were all the options that were presented to you and while Trav was sure there was the potential for deviation from that outline he didn't see many other big picture options. That and all of them had a ninety percent chance of ending the same way.

This was the problem with people ruining your personal peace.

He shrugged in Vanessa's direction.

"What Cass said. May as well make the most of everything right?"

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Trav heard Vanessa's outburst. He didn't really care for any of it though.

He looked at Vanessa mid-rant before turning to Cass, she was shaking. Trav scratched at his nose and the top of his forehead before turning back to Vanessa. The idea that someone would barge into their haven and then set to work ruining the mood so throughly because they dared to have a different reaction to the situation to them annoyed him. He also didn't enjoy being yelled at for no reason. He wasn't in training and he wasn't fucking up. So she needed to lay off.

First he answered her question.

"I dunno, watching a sunset seems nice, plus they have the sea here, I might go and look at that from the cliffs." He used his free hand to shake his hair out. "But seriously, you should calm down. We know where we are and what it means, you don't need to convince us." He put his water away in his bag. "If I die here, I don't want to waste the moments of peace I can find panicking."

That entire idea was fucking naive at best and Trav knew it. Eventually a time would come where he would be forced to start living in a constant state of alert. He knew that. He'd realised as he'd been watching the sunrise.

What he didn't need was someone screaming that fact in his face.

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And then they were gone.

Trav wasn't sure what he was supposed to feel about Jae and Vanessa's exit but he supposed relief was acceptable. He hadn't a problem with them staying but he had a problem with them seemingly believing he hadn't realised what was going on. He knew full well his situation but there was more to life than stress and panic. He refused to believe any other way. Maybe refusal was too strong a word but Trav wasn't sure. Life was strange now.

Cass had asked him a question and Trav had no honest idea how to answer it. They couldn't go back to sitting on the roof and pretending like nothing had happened. Their safe haven had been utterly destroyed by the intrusion.

The best response Trav could offer was a shrug.

"I guess we wait here for a bit and then move somewhere else."

The sun was up and the roof had lost it's magic.

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Trav stopped, raised an eyebrow and then shook his head.

"No, no way. I'm not just going to leave you."

Trav, to be perfectly truthful didn't quite understand why Cass was suddenly so down. He had an idea and all but he wasn't sure he was right. He also had never really been in that frame of mind. It made him realise how lucky he was in a way. Trav had found his calling in life early and was lucky enough to get support from his parents to pursue it. Hell they paid for a lot of it even. In short, his life had been good, very good in fact. If things had kept going the way they were Trav was sure his life would have had some tough patches sure, everyone's did, but it would have been more or less the same overall.

Cass, Trav reckoned hadn't had the same thing. He didn't know why and he wasn't going to ask.

She needed someone to stay with her though.

He was sure of that.

So he stepped back, perched himself on one of the slopes of the roof and rested his arms over his legs.

Deep down there was another reason of course there was. He didn't want to be alone. Plus even know he had only known Cass as a person for all of a sunrise he liked her.

The second darker reason. He was scared for his friends, for Noodle, mainly. He knew he wanted to go and find her. But he didn't want to go looking only to end up...he didn't have the word and didn't have the desire to find it.

So for those reasons Trav stayed sitting on the roof.

"I do have other people. But I found you first, so I can wait."

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He dreamt of storms. That was ominous.

Waking up slowly Trav could hear Cass whispering, he didn't know if she addressing someone else on the roof but that seemed unlikely. Trav doubted that Cass would actually try to pull anything, they had a layer of trust that had built up over their first day spent on the roof. Cass woke him and they briefly spoke before switching roles. Cass sleeping and Trav watching. Not that there was much for him to watch, it was basically pitch black.

Trav instead distracted himself by exploring the roof and exercising. He found the camera fairly quickly and would occasionally glance over at it. He dimly realized that it was perfectly possible his parents had spent all night watching him sleep through so hazy night vision camera filter. It was a strange thought and not one he wanted to dwell on. He instead gave the camera a small distracted wave. He wasn't even looking at it but he wanted his parents if they were watching to at least know he thought of them.

Eventually, as the sun rose over the island for the second time, Trav quietly moved over to Cass and gently nudged her awake.

"Good news, we made it to day two."

No sooner had the words left his mouth did a static noise echo across the island as speakers. They were getting a status update.

Two lists of names, the dead and their killers. Trav tried to listen but a lot of it blurred together. It was too surreal that he was being told a list of people he knew that were dead and who had done it. Luckily the one name he truly cared about, besides Cass, didn't get read out. Knowing Noodle was alright...or as alright as she could be was good news. He looked over at Cass, trying to gauge her reaction. In the meantime he helped himself to some breakfast.

"The better news, is that we don't have to move." He said as he started to munch on a slice of bread.

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, I have a couple of people." Man he did not have many close friends that were actually at school with him. Trav hadn't really considered that before but just considering the idea of allies had brought that realization into a sharp focus. It wasn't something he particularly minded if he was honest, he had plenty of friends but they were pretty much people who fought all his other friends were cool and all but he found you didn't have the same bond with them as someone you tried to beat up on the regular.

At the same time there was Cass who he both trusted and actually cared about which was impressive considering they had been in proper contact for all of twenty-four hours at a push. Trav looked out over the island, the weather seemed pretty much the same but it had definitely warmed up, something something just like the competition they found themselves in. Trav couldn't help grinning to himself at how melodramatic that entire idea was. It quickly slipped off his face however, it was all real and people he knew had died. He couldn't ignore that.

"And I mean, you must have friends you want to find or at least see." He didn't phrase it as a question. He was sure Cass had friends, everyone had at least a friend. He nodded to himself but turned to Cass. He had come up with the simplest plan but it wasn't like they had much choice. They would either stay on the roof listening to the chaos and death or they could dive down into it and find the people they cared about, after that...well the plan didn't go that far but that wasn't the point.

"We can wait up here for a little bit longer than just head out, pick a direction and walk or something," He shrugged. "I dunno, but what's the point worrying about it right?" There were a lot of reasons to worry about it but Trav was ignoring them.

He took out another slice of bread and sat himself down on the roof.

"Until then we can enjoy breakfast."

((Travis Lynch continued in They Stumbled Into Faith and Thought))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Rooftop · Next Topic »
Add Reply