Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ceremony; Private
Topic Started: Aug 3 2016, 07:59 AM (556 Views)
Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia walked quietly through the party and into a small room off to the side. She clasped the red cup filled with spiked root beer and leaned against the wall. There were a few stragglers moving in and out of the room, but it looked quiet enough for her to catch her breath. Nadia stretched her back a bit before straightening her back against the wall. This was already getting to be too much for her.

Nadia had expected high school parties to be fun and exciting. She had been deluded by countless media to think that the idea of hanging out with young people, drinking underage, listening to music, and being as hedonistic as possible without trying to break the law would have been something she could easily fit into. Instead, Nadia discovered that it was just a lot of standing in cramped rooms, a lot of screaming to try and talk to people over the music, a lot of disappointing snacks, and a lot of guys who were hoping she'd be the one to bring them into adulthood if they boozed and schmoozed her enough.

Needless to say, the novelty had worn off about an hour in. Nadia didn't feel like going home yet since that would mean she'd be trading one boring party for one boring night at home. She didn't have much to do at home; she was caught up on homework and any photo projects she was working on. Surely she could stand to stay here and put up with at least another hour of awkward social interaction.

In the mean time, Nadia pulled her phone out of her pants pocket and began to flick through the web browser app. Surely there was something more interesting happening somewhere else but here.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia looked up from her phone when she saw another guy enter the room. She immediately recognized him as Rod Kanuho. How could she not recognize him? He was almost everywhere in the last few weeks. The Champion. It was in the papers, and it was announced all over school. He won some wrestling thing and had suddenly ascended to godhood. Nadia didn't particularly care. She didn't really feel athletes were worth gushing over, especially at the high school level, and wrestling was something that just didn't excite her. Granted, she had thought about how interesting the wrestler's physique was as a photography subject in case she decided to have a Mapplethorpe phase in her career, but that was about it.

Nadia looked up and saw Rod lean against the wall opposite her and exhale. Just from his posture she could tell her was getting drained from being out there. She could relate, so she thought it would be good to break the ice.

"Is it hot out there? You know, in the pits of Hell?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia shifted her position a bit against the wall. Rod seemed to appreciate her joke, which already told her it was right to speak to him like that. If he was the meatheaded superstar she presumed, he probably would take offense to the circle jerk outside being compared to Hell. Maybe he did need a break from the frivolity as much as she did.

"Yeah, it's obnoxiously hot out there," Nadia continued. "I don't know how anyone can stand to prance through that."

Nadia put her phone back in her pocket. She took a sip of her drink.

"Is it at least fun for you out there?" she asked.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Eh, it's not what I expected," Nadia replied.

Nadia looked down at the red cup in her hands. With the lighting in the room, the root beer now looked like motor oil. Maybe it's because she tainted it with tequila, but it suddenly looked unappealing.

"I mean, I thought I'd be able to have fun at one of these things," she continued, "but I just don't get it. I just can't see why I should be having fun here."

Nadia took a sip of the sludge in her cup. Most of the ice had melted and now it tasted more like tequila than root beer.

"I don't know. I don't get why that is, but it just feels that way."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia shrugged.

"I dunno. Fun for me doesn't really involve posturing for my peers like this. I mean, if I was asked to take pictures of the event, then I might have fun and might get some cash out of it."

Now Nadia wished she had brought her Nikon with her. That might have given her something to do tonight. She had her cell phone camera, but that wasn't as exciting to use as a proper camera.

"But I'd probably just get pictures of drunk assholes instead, so that might not be so great."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Yeah, photography's my passion," Nadia said. "I want to have pictures in Vogue or W Magazine someday, so I'm taking pictures all the time."

"Well, not now. But in general."

Nadia smirked a bit. She hadn't expected to start talking about her photography, but somehow she felt better just mentioning.

"For now, it's mostly blogging and sending stuff to magazines while doing local photography and modeling. Whatever can help me get some opportunities when I get out of here."

V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Ehhh...not so great," Nadia said, shrugging.

She started to tap her finger against the side of the red cup.

"There aren't many options for modeling here in Kingman," she said. "If I were in LA like my sister, I might have a better chance. I mean, she walked for Betsey Johnson in her first year at UCLA. Meanwhile, I was in a pizza commercial here."

Nadia took another sip.

"So it's mostly just blogging and sending stuff out. It's pretty static right now."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Oh, yeah. It's Nadia. Nadia Riva," she told Rod.

Nadia shifted her position against the wall. This guy wasn't so bad to talk to.

"And yeah, I plan to keep working on it," Nadia said. "Most of my free time, I'm thinking of new photo concepts and looking for items for photo shoots. I know the easiest way to fail is to not keep up with it. If I don't post new photos every week, it feels like I'm failing."

"But I mean, that's just how it is for me."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia gave a small smile when Rod complimented her name. She didn't hear many compliments on her name. It wasn't because she thought her name wasn't pretty, but she just never heard anyone pay mind to it. It felt like her parents made a good choice when they decided upon "Nadia" of all names.

Rod asked if she had any photo shoots he could see. Nadia pulled her phone out.

"Hang on," she said. "I can pull open my blog."

Nadia opened the web browser app on her phone and tapped the bookmark she had to her blog.

"I just took some photos of myself wearing a polka dot dress I found in a vintage store. I think vintage is kind of cool, and since it was a black dress with white dots, it looked really good in black and white. Oh, here we go."

The page opened, showing a photo of her standing against a brick wall. She had one leg propped up against the wall, her hair tied in a bun with a headband on, and her face turned to the side. It was something she took in an empty street one afternoon recently to show off the new outfit she bought. She thought it was a neat throwback to the beatnik era.

"Here, take a look," she said, holding the phone out for Rod to take. "Scroll down to see more."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia smirked when Rod said he wanted to see photos she took. She shook her head.

"Well, this may sound surprising," she explained, her tone sarcastic and light-hearted, "but if you put a camera on a tripod and set a timer, you can take pictures of yourself without being behind the camera. I really don't put anything on this blog unless I took it myself. I would like to photograph other people more or post photos other people take of me, but I'm still looking for opportunities."

Nadia then cleared her throat.

"But I'm glad you like them. I appreciate that."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Thanks, I'm glad to hear that," Nadia said.

Nadia lowered her phone. Rod was nice, and he seemed to really believe in what she did. It was nice to find someone who was actually interested in her for what she did and not how she looked.

"But yeah, I'm hoping to go West with this. Go to school, work for a magazine, maybe walk some runways. It's a lot more fulfilling than wandering around picking sand out of your teeth."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Hah. I mean, the gas station does have some drama to it. It's the only place you can experience muggings at gun point and crystal meth deals while buying Fritos at 2 am. It's not my cup of tea though."

Nadia smiled at Rod.

"But hey, I guess you've got a lot of plans, Mr. Wrestling Champion. I'm guessing you're heading for the big leagues, or whatever it's called for wrestling."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Wow, the Olympics. That's quite big. And definitely more ambitious than most people in this town would even attempt."

Nadia smiled. It was neat that this guy had such lofty goals. Maybe it was blurry for him after 2020, but she had to admire him for really having a goal in mind.

"But yeah, I'm sure it'll work out for you," she said. "If not, I'm sure you can find something else that works for you?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia nodded to Rod's statement.

"Works for me," she said. "At the very least, let's make sure we don't both fail."

Nadia smiled. This was a lot more nice than she expected. Rod made for good company, and the lame party wasn't so lame anymore.

"Hey, I'm glad you came to escape the riff-raff," she said. "I've enjoyed our talk."
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadia grinned as Rod replied. It was good to know she found someone remotely interesting at this party. He did make it worth coming out here tonight.

That's when a thought came to Nadia: if this was the most interesting thing that was going to happen here, why stay? She had found someone to chat with, but why hang around if it was just going to involve running through a gauntlet of drunk and horny teenagers, listening to loud music and eating stale snacks? She could do better. They could do better.

Nadia let out a small chuckle to herself.

"Hey," she said to Rod. "Since this place blows, want to get out of here?"
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Memories from the Past · Next Topic »
Add Reply